Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

PLEASE check for bed bugs before accepting your room.

Just wanted to advise everyone to get educated on how to check for bed bugs before heading to Orlando and then check your room before you bring ANY luggage in the room. Unfortunately we learned the hard way (never thought of checking for bed bugs) and now we are dealing with trying to get the nasty bugs out of our home as they hitchhiked home in our luggage. Got bites while there but thought they were mosquitos or chiggers. I was wrong. Can't tell you the stress and financial burden this is putting us through.

Just hoping to help someone avoid our fate.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
BrerSam
Mouseketeer

I got bed bug bites all over me when i stayed in the Sheraton Safari, they moved us to another room and checked the bed and told us they did not find any but i had so many bites all over my back and everywhere it had to be them so yeah its good to check!
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Check when you check in anywhere.. not just Orlando!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

You are so right.....check anywhere. I guess I said Orlando because most people on this board are headed there. I hope we can remedy our problem quickly....because it is really taking a toll on me. I've barely slept in two weeks, am stressed, anxious, worried (that my kids will get bitten), and just grossed out by the whole thing. My husband wants to take a long weekend trip for the 4th but I refuse because that would mean staying in another hotel potentially bringing more of these things home with us. I don't wish this on anyone.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear you got bitten BrerSam. I hope they didn't come home with you as well. And the hotel may have been telling the truth - they may not have seen any bugs. The little devils are very good at hiding. We didn't see anything either but I was getting bitten. The pest control company didn't see anything....till they sprayed something on our bed....and that made them come out. So I'm sure that is what was biting you whether the hotel staff saw them or not.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
grammynelliebelle
DIS Veteran

How can you do a quick check when checking into a room? It sounds like these things can be very hard to detect. Grammy
grammynelliebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Thank you for the warning and advice, tndislvr. Hang in there...
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

* bump *
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #9
AliceinMaryland
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear the troubles of all of you who've had bedbug issues. I'm sitting here itching! It's awful and I feel for you. I've never checked for bedbugs even though I'm scared to death to get them. I guess I'm always just too excited to be on vacation that I never think to. So thank you very much to the initial poster who reminded us to do so, hopefully saving us from the same fate! We're visiting Disney in a few months and I definitely will be checking.

I googled images of bedbugs so I would know what to look for and found a site called bed bug registry. Apparently you can report the bed bug problem, not really sure how it works or if it's new and maybe there aren't many listings yet. It's too late for me to do any researching on it tonight. I just checked my hotel and it wasn't listed Maybe some of you might find the site interesting.
AliceinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Melnalala
Mouseketeer

Yeck!
Melnalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for the warning and great advise but I have to unsubscribe from this thread everytime I get an email update I get all itchy!!!

makes me very twitchy

Jan 2008 - ASMovies
Jan 2009 - ASMovies
Jan 2010 - ASMusic
Sept 2010- ASMovies & Disney Wonder (1st cruise)
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
March 2015 - ASMusic
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

So sorry, Blanche! I know the feeling though.....every time I think of bed bugs I feel itchy all over!

I have one request - please post about your cruise when you get back. We are debating a Disney cruise but I'm just not sure.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndislvr View Post
So sorry, Blanche! I know the feeling though.....every time I think of bed bugs I feel itchy all over!

I have one request - please post about your cruise when you get back. We are debating a Disney cruise but I'm just not sure.

Thanks!
come join the DCL board, I lurked there and asked question for almost a year before booking my cruise

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Jan 2008 - ASMovies
Jan 2009 - ASMovies
Jan 2010 - ASMusic
Sept 2010- ASMovies & Disney Wonder (1st cruise)
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
March 2015 - ASMusic
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Ugh..
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
tndislvr
Mouseketeer

MinnieJ - it does make you feel hopeless....and makes you go crazy! I can't tell you how many times I think I "feel" something crawling on my skin. I freak at every bug I see, every blemish on our skin. While we have been assured they are gone from our home it is going to take me a LONG time to get back to normal. Actually, I think normal for us will be different from what it used to be. My husband just got back from being out of town and I think I almost drove him nuts! Met him at the door with a change of clothes and nothing from his suitcase was allowed in the house except to go straight to the laundry. The night he came home I saw a bite on his arm and freaked! He had to convince me to calm down as it was simply a mosquito bite he had gotten while sitting outside the night before. Like I said - going to be a very long time before I can put this in the back of my mind.

I'm really nervous about our upcoming trip. We are staying off site for a week and then on property for a few nights. I just have to relax and hope that we won't be unlucky twice in one year. While almost every hotel/resort has had an incident of bed bugs I think it is safe to say that odds are you won't encounter them on your trip. Well, at least that is what I'm telling myself!