Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Mickey, ducks & snakes-oh my!! DDP $$ recap, OKW 5/24-5/30/10

This is my first trip report so be gentle!
Here's the background - DH (54), DW (46), DS (25), DD (22) & DD boyfriend (22).

This is our first trip to WDW in nearly 3 years. We purchased a small DVC contract at OKW in Nov, 2009 so this was our first "trip home". We live in south Mississippi and it is a 600 mile drive each way to WDW. Our DS recently moved to north Alabama so he flew in to meet us while the rest of us drove down. Since it is a 10 hour drive, we knew we would be arriving late. We purchased the dining plan and if we had stayed at OKW that first night, we would have had to purchase that extra day on the plan for all 5 of us and not been able to use it. Therefore, we stayed at the Buena Vista Suites on a deal found here on the DISboards. A 2 room suite for only $99/night (tax included). Hard to beat that deal!

We made it to the hotel, checked in and decided to eat at the Cheesecake Factory in Orlando. DS's twin brother lives out on the west coast and works at one while attending school. This was our first visit and it was very good. The menu is more like a booklet with so many items. Needless to say, the desserts are fantastic too. I would compare it to many of the better restaurants at WDW for the food but it is hard to beat the atmosphere at Mickey's place!

DS's flight arrived at 11:20 at MCO so we checked out and picked him up at the airport. No problems there except I suspect my Garmin GPS and the FL DOT are in collusion to send me through every toll booth around to collect those fares! We arrived at OKW after MORE tolls around 12:30.

Check-in is not until 4:00. We did the online check-in and I do not know if it made any difference, but our room was ready! DW and I are going to purchase AP's but we had purchased park tickets for the 3 "kids" through UndercoverTourist. The CM added them directly to the room key without a problem. As previously mentioned, we had purchased the DP (TS meal, CS meal and a snack) for our stay and those were added to each of our room keys as well. It took less than 10 minutes from arrival until we were headed to our room! I don't know about you but that is scary for me! That guy in Murphy's Law is a relative of mine so for something to go so easy is not the norm for me!!!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic

Last edited by saintstickets; 07-25-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

For those of you not familiar with OKW, there is some construction going on at the entrance and at the Hospitality House.

They are enlarging the area at the HH to make more room for DME storage and also doing some work on the entrance. This is scheduled to be completed by the end of June. They are also refurbishing all the rooms at OKW but that will take a while longer to complete. Buildings 30, 31, 32, 33, 40 and 43 have been completed. Only 43 more to go!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Disney_Jill
DIS Veteran

I just stayed at OKW from 5/31 to 6/4 and loved it! I used to visit Key West all the time when I lived in Florida and they have the theming down!! I stayed in a studio in building 33, first floor. It was newly refurbished and I think I may have been one of the first guests in there because everything was brand new, the shower curtain, etc. I loved it and the little porch was great. I asked to be by a bus stop because I was traveling alone and she put me there. I was soooo happy. I really enjoyed OKW and thought the busses were very good. I only waited once for more than 5 minutes for a bus. I have previously stayed at SSR (loved it) and AKW. I like the spread out, quite resorts the best.
I can't wait to hear how the rest of your trip went and your thoughts on OKW.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Jill View Post
I just stayed at OKW from 5/31 to 6/4 and loved it! I used to visit Key West all the time when I lived in Florida and they have the theming down!! I stayed in a studio in building 33, first floor. It was newly refurbished and I think I may have been one of the first guests in there because everything was brand new, the shower curtain, etc. I loved it and the little porch was great. I asked to be by a bus stop because I was traveling alone and she put me there. I was soooo happy. I really enjoyed OKW and thought the busses were very good. I only waited once for more than 5 minutes for a bus. I have previously stayed at SSR (loved it) and AKW. I like the spread out, quite resorts the best.
I can't wait to hear how the rest of your trip went and your thoughts on OKW.
Glad to hear you liked OKW. You probably were the first to stay at the newly refurbished building. I would love to see any pics you might have. OKW is laid back and very stress-free. Our last time there we stayed in building 40 and used the same bus stop you used on Old Turtle Pond road. I don't know how the other resorts are but we were very pleased with the bus service. Even when we just missed the bus we wanted, it was a short wait for the next one.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Here are some familiar pics for those that have stayed at OKW...

This is the walkway at the back of the HH near the boat dock. That's the Gurgling Suitcase on the left for those seeking adult beverages. Next down the walkway is Goods To Go (counter service meals), game room and an exercise room. At the end of this walkway is one of the 4 pools at OKW.

Also down this walkway is Hank's where you can rent watercraft, bikes, etc.

Peninsular Road bridge view from the boat dock

Canal from the boat dock that leads to Downtown Disney

The iconic lighthouse at OKW

Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

More pics of OKW...

Night view of boat dock at the back of the HH

Some of the buildings at OKW

Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

On to our room. We are in room 6212 on the first floor. This is across Peninsular Road from the HH. We had a 2br villa and it was huge! The WDW website says 1,395 sq ft but it seemed even larger. Needless to say, it was plenty of room for the 5 of us. This building has not been refurbished yet. Here are a few pics..

Living area

Kitchen

Master bedroom

Master bathroom

Lake view from the balcony

Golf course view from the balcony - 6th hole green at Lake Buena Vista Golf Course

Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
silmarg
SIL

Hey Bill!

How ya doin'. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the trip report! You are makin me jealous with your trip to WDW.

Are you ready for some football?

The date for our next trip has been moving around, but it sounds like i will be there during the Kickoff weekend. I will wear my Saints gear in WDW - esp on Sept 9 when we beat the Vikings - again!

For this trip we are staying at Pop (as we had a "bounce back" the free dining
offer from last year... so we pay $80 for a room and get ~$135 in "free" dining - that is hard to beat). We will do the final day or two in a DVC... but are saving the points for a stay in the Grand Cal in February.

I have some comments re: your thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
We purchased the dining plan and if we had stayed at OKW that first night, we would have had to purchase that extra day on the plan for all 5 of us and not been able to use it.
Not sure if you know, but you dont have to use 1TS, 1CS and 1snack each day. You could've stayed in OKW the first day and used the additional meal allotments on a different day (or use the additional TS at a signature restaurant).

That said, I love the Dining Plan when its free (this will likely be my last trip with that benefit as we plan to use DVC more often), but when it comes to paying for the DP vs TIW, I tend to favor the TIW. Then again my facts are different than yours - I have a DD that is 11. To pay $42 for her DP is just plain nuts.

And BTW, you and DW will love Victoria & Alberts. I went there w DW on our 1st anniversay (many years ago) and it was fantastic.

Quote:
We have not seen Muppet 3D or Toy Story Mania before and we did not have enough time this trip.
YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ON YOU STORY MANIA! OMG! Best attraction in WDW. You MUST do it in Nov.

Quote:
I've met lots of nice folks and even chatted with a fellow DVCer from New York that flew down to New Orleans and we met at the Saints/Vikings NFC Championship game earlier this year.
Awe schucks!
2009 Feb - WDW (POP - buy 4 get 7 impromptu trip | Aug/Sep - Nine Days of FREE DINING and FREE SSR upgrade!
2010 Feb - Taking my parents to POR w Grand Kids | Sept - Pop Free Dining Bounce Back
2011 Feb - Grand California DVC Welcome Home | Aug - Disney Dream!!! (AKV b4 and BCV after)
2012 Feb - Carribean Beach / SSR split stay | Sept - 5 day NYC/Canadian Cruise on Magic | Oct - 3 day suprise the kids trip MNSSHP / F&W @ OKW
2013 Feb - Disney Fantasy (western) | Aug/Sept - Parents 50th Anniv. Disney Fantasy (eastern) and WDW (OKW)
2014 Feb - VGC and ABD BSM
2014 Aug - 2BR Kidani Savannah / BLT Studio
2014 Sept - Disney Magic Southern Caribbean
Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmarg View Post
Hey Bill!

How ya doin'. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the trip report! You are makin me jealous with your trip to WDW.

Are you ready for some football?

The date for our next trip has been moving around, but it sounds like i will be there during the Kickoff weekend. I will wear my Saints gear in WDW - esp on Sept 9 when we beat the Vikings - again!

For this trip we are staying at Pop (as we had a "bounce back" the free dining
offer from last year... so we pay $80 for a room and get ~$135 in "free" dining - that is hard to beat). We will do the final day or two in a DVC... but are saving the points for a stay in the Grand Cal in February.

I have some comments re: your thread...

Not sure if you know, but you dont have to use 1TS, 1CS and 1snack each day. You could've stayed in OKW the first day and used the additional meal allotments on a different day (or use the additional TS at a signature restaurant).

That said, I love the Dining Plan when its free (this will likely be my last trip with that benefit as we plan to use DVC more often), but when it comes to paying for the DP vs TIW, I tend to favor the TIW. Then again my facts are different than yours - I have a DD that is 11. To pay $42 for her DP is just plain nuts.

And BTW, you and DW will love Victoria & Alberts. I went there w DW on our 1st anniversay (many years ago) and it was fantastic.

YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ON YOU STORY MANIA! OMG! Best attraction in WDW. You MUST do it in Nov.
Thanks for the kind words. I didn't realize how time consuming posting a TR could be until I did this one, especially with lots of pictures. It was fun though and if anybody has been able to garnish any information, I consider it just "paying forward" all the advice and tips I have received here on the DISboards.

We thought about doing a signature restaurant using 2 TS credits as you mentioned but we already had our ADR's for the other nights. It was convenient to eat at OKW's Olivia's restaurant right after we arrived and their food is pretty good too. Sounds like you have a fantastic deal with free dining and low rates at POP. We tried the DDP this time but I believe DW and I will use TIW from now on. DDP is not a bad deal if your eating habits fit with the plan (i.e. dessert at every meal) but we like appetizers and a dessert only every once in a while so the TIW will be better for us.

We already have our ADR's for our Nov/Dec trip.
Sunday is Jiko at AKV
Monday starts out with the Backstage Magic tour (7 hrs long) followed by ADR at Victoria & Albert's at GF
Tuesday is Crystal Palace at MK to be followed by MVMCP
Wednesday is Tutto Italia at EP to be followed by the Candlelight Processional
Thursday is Kouzzina at BWV
Friday is Bistro de Paris at EP

Are you starting to see a pattern of how we plan our trips yet? We also plan on visiting each resort to see their Christmas decorations and I suppose at sometime we will actually ride something at one of the parks! We will definately hit TSM though. It is due to be down in August for a short time to add features from the Toy Story 3 movie.

Too bad your fall trip doesn't end on September 9th so y'all could swing by New Orleans on the way home and attend the season opener. Just a slight diversion, right? DS1 moved to Huntsville, AL two months ago to start a new job and has already asked off in order to come back home and for us to go to the game! If that game is anywhere close to as exciting as the one we saw last year (and hopefully with the same results!), then it will be a blast. The Saints are having a private ceremony Wednesday, 6/16/10 to pass out their SB rings. That will be a fantastic party...during AND afterwards!! You know how much those Louisiana Cajuns and us south Mississippi wanna-be Cajuns love to party!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
MARDUN
Earning My Ears

Great Report

Really loved the pictures
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARDUN View Post
Really loved the pictures
Thanks....we're such a shy bunch...really, we are.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Bourquefam
BBQnDISNEY

Quote:
This is my first trip report so be gentle!
Here's the background - DH (54), DW (46), DS (25), DD (22) & DD boyfriend (22).

This is our first trip to WDW in nearly 3 years. We purchased a small DVC contract at OKW in Nov, 2009 so this was our first "trip home". We live in south Mississippi and it is a 600 mile drive each way to WDW. Our DS recently moved to north Alabama so he flew in to meet us while the rest of us drove down. Since it is a 10 hour drive, we knew we would be arriving late. We purchased the dining plan and if we had stayed at OKW that first night, we would have had to purchase that extra day on the plan for all 5 of us and not been able to use it. Therefore, we stayed at the Buena Vista Suites on a deal found here on the DISboards. A 2 room suite for only $99/night (tax included). Hard to beat that deal!

We made it to the hotel, checked in and decided to eat at the Cheesecake Factory in Orlando. DS's twin brother lives out on the west coast and works at one while attending school. This was our first visit and it was very good. The menu is more like a booklet with so many items. Needless to say, the desserts are fantastic too. I would compare it to many of the better restaurants at WDW for the food but it is hard to beat the atmosphere at Mickey's place!

DS's flight arrived at 11:20 at MCO so we checked out and picked him up at the airport. No problems there except I suspect my Garmin GPS and the FL DOT are in collusion to send me through every toll booth around to collect those fares! We arrived at OKW after MORE tolls around 12:30.

Check-in is not until 4:00. We did the online check-in and I do not know if it made any difference, but our room was ready! DW and I are going to purchase AP's but we had purchased park tickets for the 3 "kids" through UndercoverTourist. The CM added them directly to the room key without a problem. As previously mentioned, we had purchased the DP (TS meal, CS meal and a snack) for our stay and those were added to each of our room keys as well. It took less than 10 minutes from arrival until we were headed to our room! I don't know about you but that is scary for me! That guy in Murphy's Law is a relative of mine so for something to go so easy is not the norm for me!!!
Hey Saintstickets!!! We just booked our 2011 trip for the week before Memorial Day weekend. We'll arrive May 20 and depart either the 27th or 28th. Memorial Day is the 30th next year, so we won't even be at the parks to worry about that weekend's crowds. Thing is, I'm wondering about crowd levels during the week prior? How busy is it? We've been during Easter break and summer break and both were really busy. Can we expect slightly better crowds (please!)? We've gone for our Mardi Gras break and that was really great weather and crowds, but the kids had to miss 3 days of school since they were only off on Monday and Tuesday.

Any feedback on crowds the weekend before and week before Memorial Day weekend would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, A~ (fellow Saints Fan- Who Dat?)
'09- Disneyland, Disneyland Hotel & Grand Californian
'10- WDW, Fort Wilderness, site 711!
'11- WDW, Beach Club & Universal, Royal Pacific CL
'12- Universal's Royal Pacific Resort Jurassic Kids Suite
'13- WDW, Boardwalk Inn & Polynesian CL

First and only trip report---Fort Wilderness 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2551901
Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourquefam View Post
Hey Saintstickets!!! We just booked our 2011 trip for the week before Memorial Day weekend. We'll arrive May 20 and depart either the 27th or 28th. Memorial Day is the 30th next year, so we won't even be at the parks to worry about that weekend's crowds. Thing is, I'm wondering about crowd levels during the week prior? How busy is it? We've been during Easter break and summer break and both were really busy. Can we expect slightly better crowds (please!)? We've gone for our Mardi Gras break and that was really great weather and crowds, but the kids had to miss 3 days of school since they were only off on Monday and Tuesday.

Any feedback on crowds the weekend before and week before Memorial Day weekend would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, A~ (fellow Saints Fan- Who Dat?)
We've been twice around Memorial Day weekend both before and after. According to the TouringPlans.com crowd calendar, the week before Memorial Day weekend will be crowd levels 5 or 6. However, from Friday 5/27 - Tuesday 5/31 the crowd level increases to 7, 8 or 9. There is a Star Wars weekend 5/20-5/22 & 5/27-5/29 and then Gay Days week starts Tuesday, 6/02/11. Compare those crowd levels to Easter weekend which is the maximum level 10. Starting in late June thru the end of August, the crowd levels rarely ever get below level 8.

With that said, crowd levels 5, 6 and even 7 are very manageable and I think you will be pleasantly surprised expecially comparing them to when you have been during Easter weekend. The more popular rides will still be better if you use FastPass but you can easily work your way around and rarely have more than a 30 minute wait for most rides. Get there early or stay late and you can miss most lines too.

Hope you have a great trip. We scheduled our trip after Thanksgiving to be in between Saints home games! WHO DAT!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: