Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

Thumbs up A 30 ROCK (-'n'-Roll) Cruise! ~30 IS the new 20~

EDIT, 5/24/2010: Welcome to our pre-cruise TR...followed by our ACTUAL TR! To begin at the beginning...

Basically, we leave a month from today, and I'm too excited to wait until AFTER the cruise to start posting about it

First...an explanation of the title is in order! Basically, this cruise is my DBF's 30th birthday present. Although he won't turn 30 until a few days after we return, due to other plans we had for Memorial Day weekend, this cruise had to be a sort of pre-birthday birthday celebration. You know, life gets in the way when you're an adult

I have actually been on three cruises in the past, but despite being a pretty big Disney nut...none of them was a Disney cruise! Go figure. DBF, on the other hand, has NEVER been on a cruise...period! And speaking of that whole being-an-adult thing getting in the way...well, due to a slight lack of available vacation days, we could really only do a 3-day cruise. I have to admit that I looked into Royal Caribbean at first ...but I think I knew from the start that it would always be Disney. So I took a deep breath and coughed up the extra couple hundred bucks a person, figuring that the adults-only pool, jacuzzi, restaurant (Palo, I mean), and fact that we can bring our own alcohol on board (to an extent) would make it worth my while

So back in late February, we booked our 5/20 departure on a 3-day Bahamas cruise, Disney Wonder style. And some friends even decided to come with, although I'm admittedly hoping a couple others jump the gun and show up last minute, as well

But for now, the cast is as follows:

Myself, Tara, 27
DBF, Steve, 29/30
DF, Jonathan, 27
And DF Jennifer (Jonathan's GF), mid-20s (no, I don't know her exact age, bad friend, I know)

So this is the beginning of the beginning...our pre-cruise trip report, that is!

Last edited by ickletarakins; 05-24-2010 at 11:20 AM.
ickletarakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Dack48
Earning My Ears

I'm looking forward to it! :-p
Dack48 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack48 View Post
I'm looking forward to it! :-p
Hey there, lurker ...haha
Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
verygfy
DIS Veteran

love title

I'm in!! Can't wait to hear all about it
verygfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

Sounds great! You will love the adults-only areas, especially Serenity Bay--enjoy!

Cheryl726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

A photo introduction...

Once upon a picture:

That's Jonathan (DF) on the left, Steve (DBF) in the middle, and myself (Tara) on the right. I actually haven't met Jonathan's girlfriend Jen yet and can't wait to do so on this cruise! Anyway, this picture was taken in February of this year. We were in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and the Superbowl! Yes, it was crazy, insane, and fun, and it was actually just a couple weeks later that I decided on this Disney cruise and begged Jonathan to come with...because he's one of our best friends and a vacation just isn't the same without him!

Last edited by ickletarakins; 04-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

But...we can't risk missing the PIRATE PARTY!

As I [think I] previously mentioned...I started booking excursions and Palo reservations the day we called in our final payment. Didn't want to miss out on anything! (I'm actually a sort of uber-planner--when we went to New Orleans in February I bought a guidebook and marked pages with different colored mini post-it tabs, each color representing either a restaurant we *had* to eat at, something we *had* to see/do, or something I would like to see if we had the time. Yup, I'm a bit nuts! It's the former travel agent in me, I think.)

I booked Palo for Friday night because I thought it would be nice to have something a bit different right in the middle of our three-night cruise. Originally, I chose...I think an 8 PM reservation (they only had really early reservations, up to 6:30, and later reservations, 8 and later, available on the website). But imagine my chagrin when just a few days later I realized that Friday night is Pirate party night...and that Palo can sometimes take upwards of 2 hours! I didn't even want to chance it, because, well...I'm a Pirate.

No, really, when I worked at Disney my first job was at Pirates of the Caribbean...waaayyy back in August 2001-January 2002 (and I picked up some shifts at Pirates here and there in the summer of 2002 as well). The proof is in the picture--that's me on the far left, at a sweetly innocent 18 years of age:

Myself and those other fine people closed Pirates of the Caribbean at the end of the day, basically 5 days a week, the entire fall/early winter of 2001/2002. Good times, and honestly, once in a while I wax reminiscent and actually miss it. For a moment. And then I remember that I work "normal" hours for far more money and put aside my memories for future enjoyment.

As it were, I loved the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction long before I worked there, but wasn't exactly excited to be assigned to it...at first. (I thought I would have preferred Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion) In the end, though, I grew to love and respect this attraction and to this day it is my absolute favorite. Ever. As much as I love thrill rides and Soarin', Pirates will always hold "THE" place in my heart

Anyway, back to the task at hand...so that's why I couldn't miss the Pirate party on the cruise! Which meant a slight rearrangement of our plans. I went online (and I can't express how much I love that you can book Palo ressies, excursions, etc. all through the internet now!) and bumped our reservation up to 6:30...which, even with a two-hour meal, will give us time to eat and [possibly even] change into some sort of Pirate clothes! (We're still deciding whether we want to bother with packing Pirate accessories/costumes)

And yes, I understand that I'm moving backward through the cruise--Castaway Cay excursion booked first, then Palo, and I still haven't even talked about Nassau...there is a reason, but that's another story for a future post!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

I think moving your Palo ressies up was a great idea. I've been twice and each time been there over 2 hrs! They really let you enjoy every minute of it.

I hope you do wear some sort of pirate garb since you ARE a pirate and all!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
I think moving your Palo ressies up was a great idea. I've been twice and each time been there over 2 hrs! They really let you enjoy every minute of it.

I hope you do wear some sort of pirate garb since you ARE a pirate and all!
I'll probably do something! I'm just trying to decide between going all-out (obviously I have a couple Pirate costumes laying around) or just wearing a Pirate t-shirt and some Pirate jewelry (I have the coin necklace, the Tia Dalma necklace, a random eyepatch that came from God knows where, and a Disney pirate t-shirt, and a random skull and crossbones t-shirt).
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Henlady
DIS Veteran

Hi Tara, thought I'd stop by and check out your pre trip rpt.
Looks like you will be at Palo the same time as us. We are booked for 6:30 also. Hopefully we'll be out in time to pick up DGS and see at least part of "Toy Story". Then off to the Pirate Party!!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
miztigg
this place for rent or lease please make checks to disney cruise line

Hi Tara, I think im doin Palos the 1st night i know its at 830. Glad Im not gonna miss pirate night its a blast!!! Palos is amazing I just wish they did the brunch on the 3 day.
Rita Kathleen
big red boat 1996,Disney Wonder 11/00 Disney Magic 11/03 Disney Magic 12/06 Disney Wonder 9/08 NCL Dawn 10/09 (1st Wh+++ off shore trip) Carnival Imagination 3/10 (2nd W+++es off shore trip) Disney Wonder 5/10 (no kids just me and hubby )Carnival Elation 1/11 Bday cruise Carnival Inspiration 5/11 (3rd w++res off shore trip) Carnival Pride 7/12
miztigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlady View Post
Hi Tara, thought I'd stop by and check out your pre trip rpt.
Looks like you will be at Palo the same time as us. We are booked for 6:30 also. Hopefully we'll be out in time to pick up DGS and see at least part of "Toy Story". Then off to the Pirate Party!!
Keep an eye out for us then! I haven't seen pics of you but if you've looked at any of the ones I posted...you can't miss me. I'm tall and I have really, REALLY blonde hair. haha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: