Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Jedi Academy.... You don't get "picked" anymore?? What time??

I was recently told that they no longer pick kids for the Jedi Academy, and that now you get there and stand in line. I understand why they would do this, how would your kid feel if they weren't "picked"... like the last kid on the playground to be picked, but only worse because your in Disney!?!? I know it's gotta be easier to tell your child that you just didn't get there in time, rather then telling them they weren't picked!!

Anyway, that being said, can anyone tell me what time the Jedi Academy is held each day??

How soon should you be there to get in line??

Do they generally take ALL the kids that are in line when their ready to start, or is there a specific number of kids they'll let get in line before they shut the line down??

My son has watched the videos others have been putting on youtube, so now he's totally excited about attending the Jedi Academy!! He wants me to get him a light saber now so he can practice!! I told him you need an official one issued to him!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm..... which just made me think... do they GIVE them to the kids or do you have to purchase them??

Thanks All!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Off hand I don't know the whole days schedule for the shows, but I can recommend being there for the first show which is 9:50 ish. When the park opens you should go straight to that area. They take the first 15 (I think that's the number) children in line. If you are not within that 15 you can chose to wait for the next show. You can not leave or you lose your spot. There have been children/families who have had to sit through a couple of shows before they could get there turn.

Each child is given an outfit and light saber to use for the show but they have to give them back immediately following the show.

Good Luck and have fun!
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Mom2darlingboys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuetink View Post
I understand why they would do this, how would your kid feel if they weren't "picked"...
... completely heartbroken, I learned from experience. I answered this question on another thread. My 6 year old and I sat through FIVE shows and he was not picked to go up on stage. He cried after each one - not an angry cry, but a truly pathetic cry with great big tears. It broke my heart, and was the worst part of our trip.

The line up is definitely the way to go. I'm so glad they changed this. My little guy was not the only disappointed one, there were lots of kids who were unhappy not to be selected. This will help loads.

You can check the schedule when you get into the park, but if I remember correctly, Jedi Training took place pretty much every hour, so if you miss one, you can always wait for another. Or another. Or another...

But be prepared, the area is not covered and is located at a dead end, which gets extremely hot in the mid-morning sun!! You may want to bring a towel or something to sit on or cover yourselves with. I could feel my arms burning while we waited.

It is a great treat though, and worth a reasonable wait, if your kids get called up.

May 2008 POFQ - May 2009 POFQ - May 2010 CBR - October 2011 POR - September 2012 BWV - February 2013 BC/Poly - December 2013 POR - May 2014 POR/POLY - Dec 2014/Jan 2015 POR
Mom2darlingboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

check out

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares

At the top of the page click on whatever park you want info for. He lists the showtimes for meet and greets, shows, and parades. He updates every weekend, so check back before your trip to make sure your information is up-to-date.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
mattmommy
Mouseketeer
My DS loves rice. I call him my "international child".

We were eating in the restaurant right across from Jedi training. We saw it going on and decided to wait in the air conditioning until a few minutes before the next one. We trot out the kids and then realize there's a big butt line of kids already waiting.

Our group wasn't upset, but wish we knew. I do agree the line is more fair for the kids.
mattmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

My strategy would be to arrive at Rope Drop, ride TSM or fastpass then sprint to Jedi Academy and wait.
geenerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
beautyqueen
Mouseketeer

Where exactly is this in the park? My 7y/o is SW obsessed and has every light saber known to man, lol

beautyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

This is why i love the dis!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
check out

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares

At the top of the page click on whatever park you want info for. He lists the showtimes for meet and greets, shows, and parades. He updates every weekend, so check back before your trip to make sure your information is up-to-date.
I searched for it... and I admit failure!!! (Obviously by this post!!!)

But you came through for me and I am eternally greatfull!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

What time do they arrive to "pick you" prior to the show? Is the queuing area outside or inside. I ask because I wondered if I could arrive 5 or so minutes before my DS5 and "hold a spot" - we have very slow movers coming with on this trip!

Sydnerella's Mama
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
SignMeUp
DIS Veteran

I think you would want to take your ds5 with you to hold his spot. I bet the other parents/kids in line would frown on you holding a spot for your son if he's not with you (and the CMs might not allow it). Just take him along and let the slow movers in your party catch up to you and your ds at their pace.

Kids' first trip: April 25 - May 2, 2009 Contemporary upgraded to MK view! Surprise trip (shhh! don't tell my kids!): May 29 - June 5, 2010 Beach Club

Universal trip to see WWoHP: February 12 - 16, 2011 Royal Pacific Resort Finally going back!!! December 14 - 21, 2012 Poly
SignMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Question for you guys. My 12 yo nephew will be at WDW for his Make a Wish trip in a few weeks. He has battled brain cancer, and will hopefully be declaired in remission very soon. He and his 2 brothers are Star Wars finatics!!! I dont think though that he could be out in the sun waiting - is there shade in any part of the line? Also, how long do you have to stand if you make it into the show? Im not 100% sure how long he can stand before needing to sit in his wheelchair???
Thanks for your help|!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #12
Nicsmom
DIS Veteran

I do believe there is some shade in some spots but not the entire line. Keep in mind that not everyone needs to wait in line. This is how we did it. I ran with my DS5 to Star Tours to get in line for the training. My DH ran to get fastpasses for Toy Story Mania and then shopped, got breakfast with my DD16. We were #14 only one other child behind us made it into the training. This fills up quickly. I was told they only take 14 to 16 kids. I think it depends on family size. They would never let one child of one family do it and make the other wait. My advice is go early and run.
Nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
bwilcox
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Question for you guys. My 12 yo nephew will be at WDW for his Make a Wish trip in a few weeks. He has battled brain cancer, and will hopefully be declaired in remission very soon. He and his 2 brothers are Star Wars finatics!!! I dont think though that he could be out in the sun waiting - is there shade in any part of the line? Also, how long do you have to stand if you make it into the show? Im not 100% sure how long he can stand before needing to sit in his wheelchair???
Thanks for your help|!!
If you were there within the first 15 kids and talked to the CM there, I am POSITIVE they would make accomodations for a Make A Wish child.
bwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilcox View Post
If you were there within the first 15 kids and talked to the CM there, I am POSITIVE they would make accomodations for a Make A Wish child.
If they arrive within the first 15 kids there wouldn't be a wait, they would be in the first show.............
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
pickles
Just call me Capt. Barbossa-someone has to play the part of the bad pirate
Most Observant DISer Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Thanks for your help|!!
It is my understanding that Wish kids can get some exceptions made. rather than making him stand in the sun i would check at guest relations and maybe they can just register him in at a certain time. worth a try. keep that in mind for other activities. They usually will make some special allowances for wish kids
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: