Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

How to deal with the "You're going to Disney again?" people

: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY how my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How do you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.

UPDATE: Since I made this post, we have booked a late November/early December trip! We haven't told a soul ... yet.

Last edited by Fantasmic23; 04-17-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Fantasmic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
jog58
We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.

I have found that a simple "yes we are." and then I just look at them and smile really seems to do the trick. For some reason most of the time they have nothing to say after that. If they ask why we tell them we only have x amount of vacation dollars and we want to spend them at Disney. We will leave our horizons narrow and we are ok with that
jog58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Fantasmic23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jog58 View Post
I have found that a simple "yes we are." and then I just look at them and smile really seems to do the trick. For some reason most of the time they have nothing to say after that. If they ask why we tell them we only have x amount of vacation dollars and we want to spend them at Disney. We will leave our horizons narrow and we are ok with that
Thanks!! I love that, especially the "leave our horizons narrow"!!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
gabriellyn
Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 View Post
: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY about my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.
LOL I know how you feel! We are planning our 4th WDW trip for August after just coming back from DLR for the first time. I get the same thing from some people.

I read a thread on here not that long ago about how someone said it was a tradition for their family. I think that worked for them. Who can argue w/tradition? Good luck!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
jog58
We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.

Not to mention is it really the bane of someone's life that you want to continue going to Disney. Some people act like they're personally offended. It's nuts. But we can all take solace in the fact that we are not alone in our Disneymania.
jog58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Fantasmic23

Quote:
Not to mention is it really the bane of someone's life that you want to continue going to Disney. Some people act like they're personally offended. It's nuts. But we can all take solace in the fact that we are not alone in our Disneymania.
Yes! It's like they were having a great day ... And then you came along and mentioned that you were going back to Disney.

Definite Disneymania here! DH has caught the Disney Fever, too.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

I'm with the Jersey Shore, Cape Cod person. I've said the same thing. It's our "insert the person's yearly vacation spot here". I think there's this belief that it's very extravegant. Quite frankly it can cost as little or as much as you want it to, just like going to "insert the person't yearly vacation spot here".

Although at this point we've been going so long (see my signature) we really don't get "the look" anymore.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Disneyadore
DIS Veteran

I guess we are lucky. Living in a mostly cold and wet part of the world we are always told they envy us.

Every time I tell we go to WDW they get a certain glance in there eyes and say:" Wow, lucky you flying to warm Florida and visiting WDW".
Disneyadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I get this all the time from co-workers and some family members, they look at you and say "you know there are other places to go", those people do not get the magic and fun of Disney. We are a Disney Family and can not wait to go back for our 6th time! There is so much to do and you can make it affordable. My DDs and I can not wait to go back.
WildabouttheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Bellefan22
Mousejunkie for life

Quote:
You got that right! Mousejunkies all!
Bellefan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
memster
Mouseketeer

We go twice a year and yes sometimes we get the look from family and friends. I just ignore them.

memster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
spectrecat
Mouseketeer

DH used to be one of those people. His first real trip (we were both there briefly for a day at Epcot in '00) wasn't until '06 with our 7 month old and some other family. He started to get it. And our whirlwind '09 trip sealed it for him. Since then, his job and finances have just not been there, but HE was the one to bring it up back in May about taking a trip before we move from FL!! He has totally bought into the Disney magic...maybe not the kind that would have him wearing Mickey ears or matching shirts, but he gets it.

At the same time, we aren't the family that likes to go to the same place every year, especially since we don't know that we'll get a family vacation every year (he's in the military...now that he's going to be deploying again, I'm sure he'll work harder to make vacay time happen, though!) So I don't see us going back for at least 2-3 years. And while we'd love to go back next year, we're okay with waiting to go exactly when we want to go (i.e. this month's August trip was not idea timing, imo!) and we can save up and do a big trip. It also allows us to experience things at different ages with the kids.....our younger son was the same age this year that his brother was on our '09 trip, so it was fun to compare and think about those different, yet similar experiences. Though I suppose you still see that if you go every year! LOL

Yeah, I'd really just like to go every year....

AUG 1991, offsite; 1995, Disneyland for a day; NOV 1995, Grand Floridian; 2000- Epcot for a day; AUG 2006- SoG; DEC 2009- offsite; AUG 2011- SoG
spectrecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Fantasmic23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriellyn View Post
LOL I know how you feel! We are planning our 4th WDW trip for August after just coming back from DLR for the first time. I get the same thing from some people.

I read a thread on here not that long ago about how someone said it was a tradition for their family. I think that worked for them. Who can argue w/tradition? Good luck!
Yes, the "It's a tradition" might definitely work, especially with DH's family! They're very big on tradition.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #14
disney_family_1247
Mouseketeer

I HATE that. We travel often. DH gets 3 weeks of vacation, and we spend 1 of them in WDW. Yet people far and wide act like it's the only place we go. We go to the beach each year for at least a weekend. Why aren't we teased about that? In 2008, we were out of town for the 1st of each month for 6 months!!!!! Did anyone notice? Nope. When we went to Disney once though, they still sneered!
disney_family_1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #15
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

...."We will go anywhere you want as long as you're paying."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: