Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Solo Dining on DxDP - Dec 2009 *Completed

So I'm a little late.

For some reason - I just couldn't do it right after I returned. I just couldn't. Maybe it was because of Christmas, maybe because my luggage was delayed a week, maybe it was too much celebrating at New Years, maybe it was that work just sapped every ounce of energy and I would come home tired and depressed - maybe I have just been lazy.

Anyways -

I took a solo trip in December staying at the AKL. I had planned the trip for the 12th to the 18th. The announcement came about Disapolooza and the TSM Party so I signed up for the party on Saturday night.

I don't fly so I took the train. My Dad drove me from Toronto to Buffalo to get the train there (much easier, cheaper and faster).

Below are the pictures of my food from the train trip. I had a roomette from New York to Kissimmee so my meals were included.

Dinner on Friday night was crab cakes with rice and 2 kinds of veggies. Very good and a huge serving. I hadn't been feeling too well since I hadn't gotten any sleep at all the night before so I opted to eat in my roomette instead of the dining car.

The crab cakes were quite good - very little filler and lots of identifable pieces of crab. I don't tend to order crab too much when I take my parents on vacation because my mom is allergic so I avoid it to ensure no cross contamination. Since she wasn't with me - I could order anything.

For dessert it was oreo cheese cake. Sorry for the picture - I was still getting used to taking food pics again so I was half way through before I remembered. It was very good - rich and creamy.

Got up the next morning feeling a lot better (slept well) so I went to the dining room for breakfast. If you ever take a train with a dining car, I highly recommend breakfast. On the trip down I got the omelet but on the way home I got the french toast (no pic) which is the best I've ever eaten. The omelet was served with breakfast potatoes and sausage patties (I got turkey sausage patties instead of pork) and a croissant.

Breakfast is also served with juice and coffee - I had apple juice and you can kind of see a little of it in the pictures.

Before I got off the train, I had a quick lunch - a burger and skipped dessert.

Next post will include Disney food - I promise.

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 03-14-2010 at 11:37 AM.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
PrincessTrisha

Room Service AKL

One of the reasons I went with the DxDP is because I love room service. I can think of nothing more decadent that sitting in your hotel room and having food brought to you. It just screams "priviledge" to me.

Also, being solo for the first time, I wasn't certain if half way through the trip I'd chicken out of eating at restaurants by myself. I'm not big on counter service (I find the food fine, it's just the lining up, finding a table, ketchup in little paper cups, eating with plastic forks, that bothers me).

Tonight since I was going to the TSM Party at DHS, I decided that instead of going out to dinner, I would order room service so I could eat before the party but also come back to the room and enjoy leftovers (in case I ended up with late night munchies which did NOT happen since they had so much snack food at the party).

For my appetizer, I ordered the cheese plate. I enjoyed this for breakfast on Sunday morning. All 4 cheeses were excellent. The soft one went especially well with the bread and strawberries (like a cheese and berry sandwich). This was very filling for breakfast. The cheddar was also a stand out. Very firm and sharp (not like your mass market stuff). The cheese with the hard rind was good as well though not as remarkable as the others.

Close up of the cheeses

The cheese plate also came with a cracker/bread selection. I didn't really eat much of this.

My entree came with these buns which were super soft and tasty. One of these I saved and had with the cheese and fruit in the morning. They arrived warm (on a warm plate) which caused the butter to be a little melted but at least it was real butter. It was nice that it wasn't white bread. I am a big fan of "different" breads - I love whole grains, rye, pumpernickel, etc.

I order the Kansas coffee rubbed steak for my entree. I figure, if I couldn't finish it all, steak is the one meat I don't mind cold (chicken is the other but wasn't really in a chicken mood) plus I love rare steak and Disney does them right. I was not however overly impressed with this. The steak was literally coated in coffee grounds. It made it gritty and bitter. I scraped most of it off and ate enough of the steak to be full. The beans were excellent - fresh and crisp. The potatoes were just potatoes - nothing good, nothing bad, just okay. After eating this, I wasn't too impressed with the AKL room service but I figured I just ordered something not to my taste and it didn't stop me from ordering again (especially after I tried dessert!).

I asked if I could have water for my drink (since most of the bottles of water are listed for two) and was told no problem - they sent up a bottle of Dasani though (yech). At the beach club in the summer, they gave me bottles of Evian.

Dessert was a "Taste of Boma". This was the stand out of the whole meal. Three regular sized desserts on a giant plate.

First was a fruit tart which was nice - the fruit was fresh and the custard was creamy and smooth.

Next up was a coconut tart. Oh, it was so, so tasty.

And last - but certainly not least - a large zebra dome. That's right - not the little mini domes you get a Boma's or Mara - but one the size of a small fist Zebra Dome. I like the little ones (got two packs through the week from Mara) but I LOVED the big one.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
stitchlover
DIS Veteran

We are staying at AKL in a few weeks. That cheese platter looks wonderful! Might have to order that for a munchy one evening!
ASMo 2006, POFQ 2007, WL 2008, Disneyland Paradise Pier 2008, Polynesian 2009, AKL 2010, Grand Floridian 2011, DIS ABD Backstage Magic 2/11, Wilderness Lodge 2011, Beach Club 2012, DCL 2012, AKL Kidani Village 2013, ASSports 2013, Disneyland 2013, Boardwalk & Saratoga Springs 2013

[/url]
stitchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlover View Post
We are staying at AKL in a few weeks. That cheese platter looks wonderful! Might have to order that for a munchy one evening!
It was quite lovely and would go wonderfully with a bottle of wine. If you want to follow up with something sweet the dessert plate is $10 and well worth it as well.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
PrincessTrisha

Drink before Dinner

Before my first DIS meet (at Boma), I went to Victoria Falls and enjoyed a drink.

My first Pina Colava. I am a big fan of Pina Colada's so I really enjoyed this. The berry flavouring cut the icy sweetness of the coconut perfectly. It was a little expensive but a very nice treat.

The bar itself was empty at 4:30pm in the afternoon. I was the only one there.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
PrincessTrisha

Dinner at Boma

We were having so much fun at the DIS meet dinner that I did not pull out my camera to take pictures of my food. I can say that the buffet is delicious and has many, many options. I especially enjoyed the cold salad (not the lettuce stuff but their more unique offerings).

I ordered a cake as a surprise for one of the ladies whose birthday was the day before.

The cake was okay - a little dry as far as I'm concerned. They also didn't let me order a filling - it was just icing. Still - it was a nice surprise and I'm glad I did it but Boma would not be my first choice to order a cake from again (the CR cake was exceptional on my October trip).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: