Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
wheredreamsbegin
DIS Veteran

Autographs on t-shirt, pillowcase, etc.

I am thinking of having the kids collect autographs on something other than an autograph book. I have a few questions for those who have tried this:

1. Was it difficult to carry the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc. through the parks?

2. Was it difficult for characters to sign the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc.?

3. What type of writing instrument did you use? (regular sharpie, fabric pen?)

4. Do you have any suggestions for someone trying this for the first time?

me , DH , DD (11) , DD (9) , DD (7) ,

July 2014 BWV, October 2013 SSR, March 2013 VWL, November 2012 BLT, March 2011 BCV, July 2010 AKL, March 2010 BLT, August 2009 Disneyland Hotel, July 2009 SSR, March 2009 SSR, March 2007 WL, October 2004 CBR, April 2000 off property
wheredreamsbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Ericandjenng
DVC--Bay Lake Tower & Hilton Head Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredreamsbegin View Post
I am thinking of having the kids collect autographs on something other than an autograph book. I have a few questions for those who have tried this:

1. Was it difficult to carry the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc. through the parks?

No, I just used a ziploc bag to keep the shirt and pen in

2. Was it difficult for characters to sign the t-shirt, pillowcase, etc.?

No. But you do need something stiff inside the shirt like a piece of cardboard--5x7" should be big enough, just move it to the location you want them to sign

3. What type of writing instrument did you use? (regular sharpie, fabric pen?)

If you are going to wear the shirt, I would definitely get a fabric marker (NOT a paintpen). A sharpie could work, but they sometimes blur on fabric. Fabric markers are available at Wal-mart in the craft section or any craft store like Joanns

4. Do you have any suggestions for someone trying this for the first time?

Have fun! You will have a cute souvenir afterwards!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Thumbs up We do this all the time......(a few hints)

We decided to have t-shirts done for our son and it works great.

Instead of cardboard go buy a needlepoint ring - 4 to 6 inches. Even a 3 can do. This will keep the material stretched and allow for easier signing by the characters.

We found that sharpies work great except for fine tip. Large tip sometimes is hard to fit into ring as well.

Big HINT: Make sure you save the premier spot (middle front or top back) for your Child''s favorite character. You do not want the Mick to end up in the arm pit!!!

Also, unless you do not mind signatures going every which way. you have to hand the material to them the way you want it signed. We kind of thinkit adds character to the characters if the autos go upside down, sideways, etc.

Good Luck and have fun. My son loves wearing his when he get home and after he out grows them, they can become a wall mounting or put away with his memories book.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay And it was great, added a few extra days at CSR

November 2014 - Decided to end the AP year with one more trip. Stay at Coronado again. Forgot how much we lve this place.

jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
klj27
DIS Veteran

.... or you don't want Donald Duck to sign Donald is #1 across the whole back of the tote bag.

'95 - Day Trip from Tampa : '97 - Villas at the Disney Institute : '98 - Boardwalk Villa : '00 - Downtown Disney : '02 - Downtown Disney : '03 - Downtown Disney : '05 - Port Orleans Riverside & Coronado Springs : '06 - Port Orleans Riverside, Wilderness Lodge & Vero Beach: '07 - Port Orleans Riverside : '08 - Port Orleans Riverside '10 Comort Inn LBV "11 Band Trip at the Rosen Plaza: '13 - Windsor Hills
klj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

For those reading (sounds like the OP already knows it) if you want characters to sign an article of clothing, you must carry it - they will not sign clothing while it is being worn.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
justgeorgi
Mouseketeer

We have done this...we had my husbands jacket signed (he took it off) and we also had my daughters sash signed when we were in Florida for a pageant and she just handed it to them. We used a permanent marker but neither item is washable. If it is a t-shirt I would use a fabric pen.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
wheredreamsbegin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan View Post
Instead of cardboard go buy a needlepoint ring - 4 to 6 inches. Even a 3 can do. This will keep the material stretched and allow for easier signing by the characters.
This is a fantastic idea. Thank you for sharing it!

July 2014 BWV, October 2013 SSR, March 2013 VWL, November 2012 BLT, March 2011 BCV, July 2010 AKL, March 2010 BLT, August 2009 Disneyland Hotel, July 2009 SSR, March 2009 SSR, March 2007 WL, October 2004 CBR, April 2000 off property
Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
wheredreamsbegin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj27 View Post
.... or you don't want Donald Duck to sign Donald is #1 across the whole back of the tote bag.
a tote bag...I never thought of that. That is a FANTASTIC idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
on our last trip we bought a picture frame before we left that had a space for 2 4 x 6 pictures. The mat was fat in between the pictures so I had the characters sign the mat and it looks GREAT!We put the pictures we took at the time in the frame when we got home. I went back to Michaels when we got back and bought another frame just like the first and we are taking that mat with us in May. I took it to the character meals and got them to sign it there.
Did you carry this around the parks for random character meetings? I would love to do this, but I'm afraid that it would be destroyed during the course of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpernoodle View Post
We're going to try canvas tote bags from L.L. Bean. Do you think the rings will be strong enough for those, or will we need to use a piece of cardboard?
I would love to know the answer to this too.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
lorli
Perfectly Pixieish

Love these ideas. Thanks

March 29-April 6, SSR, December 6-9, 2012, All-Star Sports, Surprize visit, March 31-April 7, 2012 Kidani Village, August 23-September 1, 2011 Boardwalk Villas, August 17 -26, 2010 Kidani Village, April 17 -24, 2010 SSR, Oct. 3-7, 2009 SSR. April 10-18, 2009 OKW,August 19-28, 2008 AKV, August 14-21, 2007 SSR, June 26 - July 5, 2007 SSR, Nov. 30-Dec. 5, 2006 SSR, August 22-31,2006 First time home SSR, August 2005 All-Star Movie, August 2004 - Pop Century, October 1998 - Off Disney
lorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

tote bag

My daughter did a small tote bag that we bought at Michael's. It's not as heavyweight as an LLBean bag, but we just kept a piece of cardboard inside so they could sign it. One other thing that helped was she kept all of her 'stuff' in a food storage sized ziploc bag inside it. This way when she needed an autograph, she could just slip the bag out quickly.

Before we left, she made a picture on the computer of the Soarin' logo (her favorite ride). I made an iron-on out of it and put it on one side of the bag. The characters used a Sharpie to sign. We had different colors of Sharpies with us, which really looked cute to have all the different colors.

Hope that helps! Not sure I know how to post a picture....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: