Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

National Lampoon's Fun w/Dis Friends 2010!! ~ DAY 7-Final :( 6/27

(Adding chapter links to the bottom of this post!)

Hello and welcome to my CRAZY Trip Report!! For more of an explanation on the title of this TR plus more Character introductions please visit my PTR here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2329123 I think you'll find that this trip of Dis meets is just as crazy as some of my childhood vacations. I wouldn't have it any other way.

This trip we got to meet up with a bunch of other crazy Diser's!!! We were lucky enough to get to spend time with Jordan and his family and friends....Wendy & Derek and their cute kiddo's, and Kim & Alan. We also got to spend time with Winkers (Cherie) and DJay and also Rosie!!! We even met a NEW Diser one morning at DHS....."Mytallula". She was very sweet and she informed us that she saw mine and Winkers "dance pictures" on Jordan's PTR. I think I felt myself blush a little.

Our trip started on February 5th with an un-eventful drive to Tallahassee. Thank goodness for that "un-eventful" part. If you've read my PTR you know that we weren't sure if our brand new Yukon would make it there or not. Yes, we are owners of a big fat black lemon!!......But hopefully not for long.

Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge, La.

Anyway, on to happier things! We stopped at the Welcome Center when we got to Florida because it's tradition. We love stopping here and looking at the brochures, stretching our legs, and getting that tiny shot of OJ.

I have taken a picture of DS next to these posts every year we've gone to Disney. I think for his first trip (Feb 2007) when he was about 2 weeks away from being 3 years old, he was only up to the third line from the bottom....if that much. Look how much he's grown!!!

DH and DS in front of the Blue Angels jet.

Comparing paw prints..

The next day we woke at 4:00am and were on the road around 5:00am.

Getting closer.....

Someone's getting excited...

Ok, maybe we all are....

What's that????!!!!

We finished the drive and FINALLY found ourselves here:

Welcome home!!!

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST......

AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!

DAY 1 PART 2

DAY 1 PART 2 CONTINUED

DAY 1 PART 2 CONTINUED AGAIN!

DAY 1 - FINAL

DAY 2 ~ FEB 7 ~ SUPERBOWL SUNDAY ~ PART 1

DAY 2 SUPERBOWL SUNDAY PART 2

DAY 2 SUPERBOWL SUNDAY PART 3- We finally watch the superbowl!!

DAY 2-FINAL

DAY 3-PART 1

Day 3 - Part 2

DAY 3-FINAL & DAY 4

DAY 5-PART 1

DAY 5-PART2

DAY 5 FINAL & DAY 6 PART 1

DAY 6 FINAL

QUICK UPDATE

DAY 7-PART1

DAY 7- FINAL

Last edited by Blueyed Girl; 06-27-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Continued....

I did not do the online check in but for the first time EVER, our room was ready when we got there!! (about 10:00am) We had room #1524 which is toward the front where we like to be. Not too far from the main house. The view this year was terrible! There was nothing but a tall wall of bamboo off our balcony. The golf course was right behind us but we couldn't see it at all. This was the worst view we've ever had at OKW. This time I put the reservations under DH's name for the first time ever. I wonder if this had anything to do with it?? Anyway, it was just a thought. I don't really care about the view......well, I didn't care about it on THIS trip. First we were too busy to enjoy the balcony, and second it was WAAAY TOO COLD to sit out there! Yes, you read that right. It was FREEZING during our trip! The temps were in the 30's-40's but the wind was 25-30mph the entire trip. I kept getting wind advisories on my phone every day. We eventually got tired of being beat up by the wind. It really wears you out! Of course we soldiered on!! I mean come on........IT'S DISNEY WORLD!!!

Our first stop after checking in and unloading the bags in the room was.........EPCOT!!!

Our first order of business was to get a fast pass for Soarin'. By this time it was around 11am. We were behind the game as far as fastpasses go! Once we secured that, we let DS choose what he wanted to ride first. Surprisingly he chose.......

Yep!! Spaceship Earth!! Here are some pics I TRIED to take in there.....

After this we decided to eat lunch. So we headed over to the Electric Umbrella. You may remember that we have found that DS has severe food allergies. He is allergic to peanuts and green peas (legumes). We have to carry an epi-pen. We found all of this out last summer. This is our first trip to WDW knowing about his allergies. I contacted WDW before our trip and filled out some forms at their request and sent them back. They put this information on our reservation as well as all of our ADR's. Then they sent me many .pdf files of what snacks were safe around WDW along with counter service items that should be safe too. They always say to check with a chef before ordering and that's just what I did. This did take some time and held up the line a bit. I'm not happy to report that I felt extremely uncomfortable doing that and what made it worse was all the snickering and "sigh's" coming from the people behind me.

If any of those people are reading my TR, I'd like to pause and take this moment to tell you to shove it where the sun doesn't shine!!! GET IN ANOTHER LINE!!!! THIS IS MY CHILD WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!! GET A GRIP ON YOURSELVES!!!

Ok, I'm back now...... Seriously, I couldn't believe the rudeness. And they KNEW what we were doing because the chef and manager came out with a binder full of food labels for me to read through. Let's now look at this from my perspective minus the people behind me...... I'm having to figure out what item DS wants to eat, then get told that he may not be able to have the cheese burger because of the bread. I have to look through the ingredients list for the chicken nuggets, then approve it. The cashier has to get approval from the manager. SEVERAL people checked and re-checked our order before I finally got our food. I left the counter with a tray full of food and a nervous stomach and wasn't sure if I even wanted to feed DS what was there. Good news is that he ate and was fine. The bad news is that I have at this moment realized that the 10 pages of files that Disney sent me for counter service and snacks that I printed out and made into a BOOK, were OUTDATED!!!! There was nothing at Electric umbrella that was on the papers. They have since switched brands and items and basically, the 10 pages were of no use to me AT ALL. All I can think at this moment is....... "OMG, I've got 7 days of this". " I'm going to have a heart attack every time we go to eat and will be bald by the time we leave this place!!"

More on the food allergy situation later! Does it get better or more confusing??

Once lunch was over and my blood pressure and heart rate was back to normal, we headed over to Ellen's Energy Adventure. It was about this time that I sent a Text to Jordan because I knew he, Winkers, & DJay were in Epcot that day.

DS about to see some dinosaurs!!!

This was DS's first time to ride EEA. He wanted to see the dinosaurs because he was thinking about riding the ride "Dinosaur" in Animal Kingdom for the first time this trip. He thought this would be a good way to build up to that.

When we left EEA, it was time for our Soarin' fastpass. I forgot to check my phone and didn't realize that Jordan sent me a text back. They were sitting outside of EEA and we totally missed each other!!! I got the text as we were about to get on Soarin'.

I'll stop here for now. Did we get to Soar over California??? Did we ever get to meet up with Jordan, Winkers, & DJay??? Stay tuned!!!
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Could I be first?

I am in!

You are totally first!!! Way to go!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

I'm ready too! Can't wait!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Hey Blue... Just signing in

Off to read
Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Hi Blue I am subbing of course !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 02-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Joining in all the fun. Great start already!!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Joining in! Now back to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
1st page? Maybe? I will be more active and less lurky this time around

I will have to show DD-almost 6 the pic of your son in his car seat. She is also still in a 5 point harness since she is under 4olb. 45 inches but 38lb. 80% of her friends are in a booster. She thinks she is moving at 4olb but her seat harnesses to 60lb. All it took was watching that video on YouTube.
Avery's best friend also has a severe tree nut allergy-also has the epi. I would watch her at my house and took her out a few times-it was gut wrenching. I was a wreck. Those rude people can-well ya know. HELLO, have YOU HEARD of ANAPHLACTIC REACTION??? This is LIFE or DEATH people not a PICKY kid. Acck, people are so stupid. I have a walnut allergy which was noted on our ressie and the people at the restraunt would always let me know if something contained them. I hope it got easier!
I'm pretty sure he can be in a booster but the 5 point harness is much more safe. They say if they are still within the height/weight bracket for it and they will sit in it, to keep them there as long as you can. He doesn't complain about it so it works for us. That is a brand new seat. It's a high back booster that sort of grows taller. We will see how long before he starts wanting to do the seatbelt.

Yeah the food allergies are very nerve wracking. Last year there was a boy in DS's class that had the peanut allergy. I got used to reading labels for cookies and cupcakes for school but sadly not every parent does. Most of the time they go with the attitude of "mine doesn't have it, so why should i bother".

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seanaci* View Post
On board! :D

So sorry to hear about your sons food allergies! I had a friend who had food allergies and going out to eat with him always took longer...but we totally understood! Had I been in line behind you and heard the people grumbling and getting annoyed I would have told them STFU. :D

Yeah, I really wanted to tell them that. But I tried to stay focused. I knew it was going to be a long 7 days as far as food was concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Welcome back and count me in!!!!

Great start on the trip report. Sorry to hear about the food situation.
I guess the good news is as you go more often, you will get better at knowing what is OK and what is potentially a problem.

Yes, it is all a major learning process. The foods that are ok over here where we live are not the same at WDW. They do seem to use many more products that have seeds, nuts, nut flour, etc in them. A lot of times it's hidden which makes it even more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I'm in for the ride!!!! Followed you over from Jordan's PTR.

My SIL cannot eat gluten so she and my brother have to check ingredients before they order. One good thing is that it seems that more people are eating gluten free food and it is becoming more common. They had good experiences eating in WDW. Sorry you had to go through that with your son... but you are right- his health is most important. Who cares about a bunch of people you don't know standing behind you!

One day when I was ordering at Columbia Harbor House there was a man next to me that had to order gluten free. He had to do the whole binder thing like I did. It's crazy but I'm not sure how else they could/would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Blue!! Your Home!!!

I'm so happy your home, hopefully a little more rested by now and your laundry is magically done, and your report is off to a good start!!!
Now.... I gotta go and read.
My laundry was clean in my suitcase. I washed it all before we left Florida. HOWEVER, from this week I have a huge pile just staring at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Looks like you had a great start! So sorry you were given outdated info. I hope you called or emailed Disney to let them know what happened so they can fix the problem of sending out outdated info . I can't wait to read about you meeting Jordan, Winkers, Rosie, etc!!
Hi Tracy!!
I plan on sending an email, I just haven't had time yet. Besides the outdated information, I also need to gather all of my thoughts about the entire experience before I start. While their system is fairly good, there is still much room for improvement.

The meets were AWESOME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
I am here. Your son has gotten so big. I am glad to see he is in a 5 point harness seat. We are keeping my dd in one until she is not able to fit in it any more. It will be a while hers is good to 60 lbs. My friends keep telling me to switch her but I keep saying nope not going to happen. She is safer in that seat and she still like sit because it lifts her up so she can see out the windows. My friend thinks I am nuts even though she has seen what can happen to a child not in a 5 point harness seat. I can't wait to read about the reat of your trip.
I agree about the seat. I plan on keeping him in there as long as I can. He doesn't complain about it so that makes it much easier. My friends look at me weird and ask why he's still in there too. I don't care. They can do their thing and I will do mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
I'm in. I have been looking forward to all of your TR's. Sorry that your trip is over but glad the TR's are starting.
Glad you're here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post
I am in!

I saw you on Jordan's PTR so I thought I would come over

I really want to drive to WDW someday just for that shot of orange juice

Great pics of Spaceship Earth!

Sorry about the food hassle hopefully it gets easier for you
Wow, I'm getting a lot from Jordans PTR. Glad you're here.

The free shot of OJ is great!! Sounds silly but we think it's fun.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Hi! I'm joining in... I've read some of your previous reports but it's been a while. I've been following Jordan so I thought it would be fun to follow along with you too.

We were dealing with food allergies (actually more intolerances in DS9's case) back during our 2006 & 2007 trips & WDW was fantastic about it! I think TS meals worked out better than CS meals though for the reasons you mentioned at Electric Umbrella. I'm sorry your information was outdated - we had up to date information so it made it a lot easier. We ordered, then the chef met us outside of the line so nobody was held up. There were several times that the chesf made special gluten free chicken nuggets for DS. I hope the food situation improved for you guys!
Hi there!! Glad to see you back.
Yes, the TS did seem to be a bit easier than the CS. But not completely fool proof. Stay tuned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Hi Blue I am subbing of course !!!
ROSIE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Joining in all the fun. Great start already!!
Glad you're here!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyed Girl View Post
I did not do the online check in but for the first time EVER, our room was ready when we got there!! (about 10:00am)
Don't you LOVE that feeling!? I always have all of my fingers and toes crossed that our room will be ready so we can unload the car before heading to the parks. Sometimes, it actually works!

Quote:
This time I put the reservations under DH's name for the first time ever. I wonder if this had anything to do with it??
Well, OF COURSE it did!! You know the wife's golden rule: It's ALWAYS the husband's fault!

Quote:
We eventually got tired of being beat up by the wind. It really wears you out! Of course we soldiered on!! I mean come on........IT'S DISNEY WORLD!!!
I don't know what's worse... being exhausted by cold and wind, or heat and humidity!

Quote:
You may remember that we have found that DS has severe food allergies. He is allergic to peanuts and green peas (legumes). We have to carry an epi-pen.
Wow... I sure hope this doesn't become a source of drama for the whole trip. I hope Disney was able to make this a non-issue most of the time!
Quote:
If any of those people are reading my TR, I'd like to pause and take this moment to tell you to shove it where the sun doesn't shine!!! GET IN ANOTHER LINE!!!! THIS IS MY CHILD WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!! GET A GRIP ON YOURSELVES!!!
Preach it, girl!!

Quote:
This was DS's first time to ride EEA. He wanted to see the dinosaurs because he was thinking about riding the ride "Dinosaur" in Animal Kingdom for the first time this trip. He thought this would be a good way to build up to that.
What did he think of it? Tyson was bored to tears. After the initial "oooooo" of the dinosaur scene... it was "is this almost over?" after that! Just wondering what your little guy thought.

Quote:
They were sitting outside of EEA and we totally missed each other!!!
DOH!
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary Trip,2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
Don't you LOVE that feeling!? I always have all of my fingers and toes crossed that our room will be ready so we can unload the car before heading to the parks. Sometimes, it actually works!

I will have to try the fingers and toes crossing next time!

Well, OF COURSE it did!! You know the wife's golden rule: It's ALWAYS the husband's fault!

Ok, I just choked on my drink!! That is too funny.

I don't know what's worse... being exhausted by cold and wind, or heat and humidity!
Hmmmm, right now I say cold & wind. But ask me again after my June trip!

Wow... I sure hope this doesn't become a source of drama for the whole trip. I hope Disney was able to make this a non-issue most of the time!

Preach it, girl!!

They irritated me. It was hard to ignore them.

What did he think of it? Tyson was bored to tears. After the initial "oooooo" of the dinosaur scene... it was "is this almost over?" after that! Just wondering what your little guy thought.
He liked it but I think the last part of it he was jsut waiting to see more dinosaurs. He didn't realize there weren't any more.

DOH!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

Quote:
You may remember that we have found that DS has severe food allergies. He is allergic to peanuts and green peas (legumes). We have to carry an epi-pen. We found all of this out last summer. This is our first trip to WDW knowing about his allergies. I contacted WDW before our trip and filled out some forms at their request and sent them back. They put this information on our reservation as well as all of our ADR's. Then they sent me many .pdf files of what snacks were safe around WDW along with counter service items that should be safe too. They always say to check with a chef before ordering and that's just what I did. This did take some time and held up the line a bit. I'm not happy to report that I felt extremely uncomfortable doing that and what made it worse was all the snickering and "sigh's" coming from the people behind me.

Ok, I'm back now...... Seriously, I couldn't believe the rudeness. And they KNEW what we were doing because the chef and manager came out with a binder full of food labels for me to read through. Let's now look at this from my perspective minus the people behind me...... I'm having to figure out what item DS wants to eat, then get told that he may not be able to have the cheese burger because of the bread. I have to look through the ingredients list for the chicken nuggets, then approve it. The cashier has to get approval from the manager. SEVERAL people checked and re-checked our order before I finally got our food. I left the counter with a tray full of food and a nervous stomach and wasn't sure if I even wanted to feed DS what was there. Good news is that he ate and was fine. The bad news is that I have at this moment realized that the 10 pages of files that Disney sent me for counter service and snacks that I printed out and made into a BOOK, were OUTDATED!!!! There was nothing at Electric umbrella that was on the papers. They have since switched brands and items and basically, the 10 pages were of no use to me AT ALL. All I can think at this moment is....... "OMG, I've got 7 days of this". " I'm going to have a heart attack every time we go to eat and will be bald by the time we leave this place!!"

More on the food allergy situation later! Does it get better or more confusing??
what a nightmare! i'm really curious how this plays out because my best friend's little boy has severe peanut allergies. he's 3 now and i'm sure they will go back to WDW in the next few years. they went when he was like 9 months old but back then they didn't know about his allergies and of course he wasn't eating a whole lot of disney food anyway, mostly baby food and breast milk. anyway, can't wait to see if it gets better!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Hey Blue Where are you????
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
MyTalula
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We even met a NEW Diser one morning at DHS....."Mytallula". She was very sweet and she informed us that she saw mine and Winkers "dance pictures" on Jordan's PTR. I think I felt myself blush a little.
Awww it was fun meeting you guys that morning!! I don't think my DH really believed me when I said "Hey I know those guys, lets go say Hi!"

Congratulations on the DVC purchase, now that is really exciting!!! Great start to your TR too! We just got home yesterday afternoon. I'm still doing Depressing Dirty Disney Laundry "DDDL" for short.
SOG February 2008
Dolphin February 2010
Dolphin February 2012

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: