Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Dugette
DIS Veteran

The Magic and the Misery ~ Updated 6/13: June Trip Report Started!

Our “Year of Disney” has begun! This was the kickoff trip of what we hope will be several (shorter) trips this year. This trip was 10 days: Saturday, January 16-Monday, January 25, 2010. For some background and planning info, you can view our pre-trip report here: "We Dug Disney: So We're Going Back in January, 2010!"

The cast of this trip consists of my husband (“Dug”) and me (“Dugette”). Here we are on a cruise we took a couple years ago:

The cast members staying home in Minnesota are our cat, Kitty, and dog, Bailey:

Don’t let the title fool you…any trip to Disney is a great trip. We really enjoyed most of it, but had a few unexpected challenges along the way. But we’d do it over again in a heartbeat. Except for Thursday. I wouldn’t re-do Thursday the 21st. You’ll have to wait and see why…

The journey begins in the next post, with our travel day.

Chapters
Day 0 - Pre-Trip Surprise
Day 0 - Dug's Perspective
Day 1 - Polynesian Paradise - Part 1
Day 1 - Polynesian Paradise - Part 2
Day 1 - Epcot Afternoon and Kona Dinner
Day 1 - Sand is Bad!
Day 2 - From Polynesia to the Wilderness - Part 1
Day 2 - From Polynesia to the Wilderness - Part 2
Day 2 - Happy Trails - Part 1
Day 2 - Happy Trails - Part 2
Day 2 - The Magic Multiplies After Midnight
Day 3 - "We're Going from New Orleans to Japan...for Lunch!" - Part 1
Day 3 - "We're Going from New Orleans to Japan...for Lunch!" - Part 2
Day 3 - DHS & Our First Visit to Downtown Disney
Day 4 - 4 Parks in 1 Day: the Video
Day 4 - 4 Parks in 1 Day: AK & Kona
Day 4 - 4 Parks in 1 Day: MK & Snack
Day 4 - 4 Parks in 1 Day: Epcot & "Dinner"
Day 4 - 4 Parks in 1 Day: DHS & 2nd Dinner
Day 5 - A Morning Stroll to the French Quarter
Day 5 - Animal Kingdom & Tusker House - Part 1
Day 5 - Animal Kingdom & Tusker House - Part 2
Day 5 - Animal Kingdom & Tusker House - Part 3
Day 5 - Animal Kingdom & Tusker House - Part 4
Day 5 - AK at Night, AKL, & WPE - Part 1
Day 5 - AK at Night, AKL, & WPE - Part 2
Day 6 - The Misery
Day 6 - Dug's Day
Day 7 - 102 Degrees in the Magic Kingdom!
Day 7 - 'Ohana, Wishes, & Epcot EMH
Day 8 - Exploring the World - Part 1
Day 8 - Exploring the World - Part 2
Day 9 - Our Three Breakfasts & DHS
Day 9 - Fast Passes, Shows, & Scenery
Day 9 - Animation Afternoon - Part 1
Day 9 - Animation Afternoon - Part 2
Day 9 - Bouncing Back
Day 10 - The Last Day...for Awhile - Part 1
Day 10 - The Last Day...for Awhile - Part 2

The Prequel Chapters
Day 0 - History & Travel Day
Day 1 - MK & Anniversary Dinner - Part 1
Day 1 - MK & Anniversary Dinner - Part 2
Day 1 - MK & Anniversary Dinner - Part 3
Day 2 - Epcot & Tutto Italia - Part 1
Day 2 - Epcot & Tutto Italia - Part 2
Day 2 - Epcot & Tutto Italia - Part 3
Day 3 - AK, Boma, & MK
Day 4 - DHS & Sci Fi - Part 1
Day 4 - DHS & Sci Fi - Part 2
Day 5 - Drama at AK

Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Last edited by Dugette; 06-13-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Day 0 - Friday, January 15, 2010 - Pre-Trip Surprise

I’ll start with the night before the travel day. Thursday, January 14th would be our last night at home. We packed and cleaned and checked items off our “bring to Disney” list. Dug’s parents had kindly (though not enthusiastically) agreed to dog-sit Bailey while we were gone. They are already long-term dog-sitting Dug’s brother’s dog while he is working out of state, so another dog was not exactly thrilling to them. But they said okay. So, we packed up Bailey and all her stuff and set off for her “vacation” with her “cousin dog” about 20 minutes away. We dropped her off and headed out. I peeked in the window by the door as we left and she was just standing by the door looking like she was thinking, “Where are my people going? They must be coming right back. Mommy-dog? Daddy-dog?” I felt kind-of bad. But I’m sure she got over it with another dog to play with. So, we headed home and finished things up and went to bed.

Friday morning was an early one. We had to grab the last-minute packing items (like the stuff we still needed to use that morning) and load all the bags into Dug’s car. We wanted to avoid crazy luggage fees, but with a 10-day trip, carry-on would not cut it. We ended up each with one large bag to check and one small bag to carry on, plus a backpack, a messenger bag, and a video camera bag as the “personal items” to carry on.

We set out cat food and supplies, as Dug’s best friend had kindly agreed to stop in every few days and visit Kitty while we were gone. Luckily, Kitty is very fond of him, as he and Dug were roommates for a time during Kitty’s kitten-hood. As usually happens when we travel, Kitty knew what was going on and spent some time sitting in a suitcase the night before. She’s never pleased when we leave.

We both had a full day of work this day. I normally take the bus to work in downtown Minneapolis (we live out in the eastern suburbs and there is express bus service, which I have a pass for through work). Rather than park and ride this day, Dug dropped me off at the bus stop, then drove to his work in the western suburbs. We both worked all day. It was kind-of strange knowing that when we went to bed that night we’d be in Florida!

After work, I walked to the lightrail stop downtown so I could take the train to the airport (my transit pass covers the train too) and meet Dug there. He would be driving to his sister’s house after work, leaving his car there for the week, and she’d give him (and all our luggage) a ride to the nearby airport. And we’d meet up there, check in, and have dinner at the airport.

As I was walking to the lightrail, I gave Dug a call to see where he was at and make sure everything was on track. I asked Dug, “How’s it going?” to which he replied, “Um, not good.” “What’s wrong?” “I have impetigo.” “What’s that?”….

Well, a day or two earlier I guess I had noticed that Dug had a small blemish near the corner of his mouth, but I hadn’t thought anything of it. Chapped lips this time of year in Minnesota are pretty standard. Well, it was bothering Dug, so he called his mom to see if she knew a good remedy for what he thought was maybe a cold sore. Somehow, she managed to diagnose him over the phone with impetigo (no medical training, she’s a French teacher). Dug had left work early, planning to get a haircut (didn’t happen) and stop by Target for some last-minute things (umbrella and sunglasses ), so he went to the Target Clinic to have it checked out. Sure enough, his mom was right. In case you don’t know, cause I sure didn’t, impetigo is a highly contagious infection , kind-of a staph infection. Dug’s was around his lips. He was given a topical antibiotic to apply throughout our trip. It also meant that I had to be very careful to not get it. Since we often share food, especially when travelling, this would be a challenge. But we were leaving in a couple hours, so we’d just have to do the best we could.

Dug beat me to the airport. When I arrived, we met up in the ticketing area, juggled around the luggage a bit, and went to print our boarding passes and check our bags. Everything went well. On our last trip, I’d accidentally left a large bottle of aloe in my carry-on, and had to throw it out, so I was extra careful packing this time and had no problems.

Now, time to find some dinner before our 7pm flight boards. We didn’t have enough time for a sit-down meal, so looked for a place to grab something quick. We walked around a bit, then I spotted the perfect dinner: D’Amico & Sons’ Turkey with Dried Cherries Salad. A little shop had a small selection of salads from D’Amico. This is one of my favorite foods. In fact, since D’Amico coincidentally had catered our wedding reception 4 years ago, we even had it as a side dish to our wedding dinner. Here’s a wedding dinner plate, so you can see the yummy, yummy Turkey Cherry Salad.

So, I had that for dinner. Dug didn’t see anything he wanted yet, so we kept wandering. He came across a place called “Wok & Roll.” He got a meal consisting of Kung Pao Chicken, Bourbon Chicken, and Crab Rangoon. It was so big that we easily could have split it normally, but we were trying to be extra careful because of the impetigo. We both enjoyed our dinners.

Time to go board the flight. We got on, stowed our carry-on, and took our seats. Dug had an aisle seat, I had a middle seat, and a guy who's family was in the row in front of us had the window seat next to me. After we’d been sitting for a couple minutes, the guy next to me jumped up in a panic and said he needed to get out NOW. He pretty much tried to jump over me. Very uncomfortable. But Dug and I couldn’t get out of the way enough to let him out, as there were kids blocking the aisle. The guy’s wife ahead of us started saying, “He really needs to get out!” Finally, we were able to let him through. Turns out he couldn’t find his wallet. I looked on the floor around his seat, but no dice. I think he got off the plane to look for it. Not sure. While he was gone, his wife went through their bags and found it in their carry-on. He came back and took his seat and was fine the rest of the flight. It was just weird with the panic to start the flight.

We taxied around for so long that I started to wonder if we were just driving the plane to Florida. Finally, we took off and I looked forward to napping. However, this plane was showing a movie I hadn’t seen that looked good, “Love Happens” with Jennifer Aniston. So, I decided that just relaxing and watching a movie was almost as good as sleeping. Movie was pretty good. Had some Fresca to drink. Kinda cool that Delta/NWA has Fresca, as neither of us drinks caffeinated pop and usually there is not much selection, other than Sprite. After the movie, I got in a little napping. It was a little tough, due to quite a bit of turbulence combined with a lot of crying babies. But I’m a good sleeper.

Towards the end of the flight, we noticed a small commotion a few rows ahead of us, across the aisle. We couldn’t quite make out what was going on, but a couple of the flight crew were acting somewhat concerned about a passenger. After a bit, they did an announcement asking any doctors on the flight to come to the front of the main cabin (we were close to the front). A woman ahead of us jumped up and told them she was a nurse. A moment later, she sat back down, as three doctors appeared out of first class to help! Guess we know how the doctors fly now…it was almost funny. Anyway, they briefed the doctors (we couldn’t quite make out what they were saying) and two of the doctors went back to their seats and the third sat down and stayed with the woman for the rest of the flight. And a flight attendant brought out some sort of medical kit. From the rumblings of others on the plane, it sounded like she was having an allergic reaction and had trouble breathing. But she was doing well enough to get there, since we were close.

They made an announcement that once we landed, we would be met by an ambulance and we should stay in our seats until the paramedics and the passenger were off the plane. I mentioned to Dug that the medical emergency would probably lead to priority parking for the plane…no waiting for a gate or taxiing around forever. And that was the case. Very quick to the gate. Paramedics got on, checked the woman out briefly, and she got off the plane with them. It was very different to be in a plane that just pulled up to the gate, but there was no mass chaos of people jumping up and pushing to get out. Just calmness. Once they cleared us to get out, it was probably still the most calm and orderly exit from a plane I’ve seen. Once in the terminal, we saw the woman sitting in a wheelchair being attended to. Looked like she would be just fine.

I love arriving at the Orlando airport late at night. I think it was 11pm or so that we arrived, both this trip and our last one. The airport is so quiet and peaceful. We headed for the “monorail” and got our bags (once we figured out which baggage claim they were at).

Then we called the Fairfield Inn to get a shuttle. Headed out to the parking spot they directed us to. There was one other couple waiting there. Several shuttles came and went, none of them ours. More people had gathered. Then, after waiting maybe 20 minutes or so, a shuttle pulled up, but we couldn’t tell what it was for. A bunch of people behind us jumped in. We wandered around it and finally found a Fairfield Inn logo amongst all the others on the back end of it. By then, it was full. So, everyone behind us got on and us and the other couple that was there first had no choice but to wait for the next shuttle. So, while we waited, we started chatting with this couple. They were a very nice older couple, also from Minnesota. They were going to be visiting some of their friends who live in the Orlando area, but also making a quick visit to Disney World, staying at the Polynesian. They had stayed there before and it was great chatting with them and getting advice from them. Yea for nice Minnesotans! Finally, the same shuttle returned (even though he said he’d send the other one over) and we got to our hotel. The Fairfield Inn was pretty nice and right by the airport, in “Hotel World.” After reading a TR on here where they got bedbugs, I vowed to check all our beds for them, as we would be staying in 4 different places. This one passed inspection and we went to sleep, dreaming of the fun that lay ahead.

Up next: heading to the Poly and Epcot. Will we be able to control the spread of impetigo? Will we be able to get our park tickets early even though they are attached to our POR reservation starting Monday? Will there be more than one picture on the TR? Will our nice, new digital camera survive the next 24 hours? Stay tuned! Some of these things will work out okay!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Last edited by Dugette; 02-02-2010 at 06:10 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
gellybean
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!! That stinks about the impetigo! Hope you guys can contain it!

So cool that you found your favorite turkey salad at the airport.

The guy rushing over me to get out of the aisle would have freaked me out too!

And that's nuts about the woman needing medical attention! Your trip definitely got off to a crazy fast start!

Can't wait to hear about your Poly arrival!!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Exciting start! Can't wait to hear the answers to all your questions!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Connerhailee
Earning My Ears

ur cat is sho shweet, i wish i could have it
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
I'm here!!! That stinks about the impetigo! Hope you guys can contain it!

So cool that you found your favorite turkey salad at the airport.

The guy rushing over me to get out of the aisle would have freaked me out too!

And that's nuts about the woman needing medical attention! Your trip definitely got off to a crazy fast start!

Can't wait to hear about your Poly arrival!!

Hey, Gellybean! Good to see you here! Poly arrival is in the works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1111 View Post
Exciting start! Can't wait to hear the answers to all your questions!
Welcome! Answers coming soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connerhailee View Post
ur cat is sho shweet, i wish i could have it
Thanks! We like her

I've been working on the Poly arrival as I've had time. Hope to get an update posted in a day or two. I think Dug might chime in soon too.

Thanks for reading. More to come!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
beckyb29
Mouseketeer

Your trip report is great! I can't wait to follow along! :-)
Old 02-07-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
E-Stop
The Last Alweg Pilot and Killer of Threads

I've subscribed to your thread. I look forward to reading how your trip turned out. That shrimp noodle meal looks delicious, as did that strawberry shortcake. We leave for the world in 13 days. Cant wait

This is the way the thread ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Dug
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Stop View Post
Not with a bang but a whimper.
Nice sig. I suppose you might say the dudes at Disney who haven't eaten yet are the hollow men (though they likely leave the park each day as stuffed men!).

Sorry. Recovering double English major here. Carry on.

Oct. 5-12, 2011: Pop Century (View PTR, "The Year of Disney is Over...But We're Going Back Anyway!")
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! (View TR, "How the Other Half Lives") In Progress!
Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV (View TR, "100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu (View TR, "The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip")
June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL (View TR, "Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR (View TR, "The Magic and The Misery")
Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century (View TR, "The Prequel")

"Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, 'I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead.' Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."--Dug
Old 02-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
Hi! I finally made it over. You have made a lot of progress in a short amount of time (hanging my head in shame over my TR that has taken me approx 7 months to write). I like that you both are having your input.

Yay for Pan Asian Noodles! That sounds so good right now. Much better than anything that I ate today. I'm not a seafood person, either, so I've never tried it w/ shrimp.

The Poly looks amazing. I really hope we can stay there someday. How nice that you got to walk around and just enjoy the property. Can't wait for your next update!
Thanks for stopping over! No shame over your trip report...you've done a great job! I don't think anyone wants it to end, so 7 months is a good thing! I'm sure I won't be able to keep up this pace on ours. My time during the week is pretty limited, so I'm trying to get as much done now as I can, since we have a pretty free weekend.

You know, I didn't even realize until I asked Dug what the plate was behind the Pan Asian Noodles in our picture...turns out that's the other half (mine)! That is one big serving they bring! Thanks for endorsing them on your TR or we wouldn't have known what to order!

I hope you get to stay at the Poly sometime too. Even for just a night, it was great! We really tried to take it easy so we could explore and enjoy the resort that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyb29 View Post
Your trip report is great! I can't wait to follow along! :-)
Thank you! More to come shortly. I've got another update almost ready to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Stop View Post
I've subscribed to your thread. I look forward to reading how your trip turned out. That shrimp noodle meal looks delicious, as did that strawberry shortcake. We leave for the world in 13 days. Cant wait
Wow, your trip is coming up soon! You must be leaving on the 19th or so? Funny thing, Disney is really trying to get us to come back then! My birthday is 2/21, there's reasonably cheap airfare that weekend, the MK has EMH until midnight on my birthday, we already have APs, AND we just got an email offer for 40% off Pop Century that weekend! But I think we'll be staying home. Very tempting, though. Hope you and your family have a great time!

The Pan Asian Noodles were great, by the way. And the bread...so yummy! Dug said the Strawberry Shortcake was quite good too. I'm guessing it's made with fresh strawberries that were grown on the premises, as we saw some growing when we were on Living with the Land and I know they use those foods at Sunshine Seasons.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Saturday, January 16, 2010 - Sand is Bad!

After our delicious dinner at Kona, it was time to head out to the Poly beach to find a spot to watch Wishes. The show would be at 8pm that night. We had asked our golf cart driver earlier if ALL the beaches piped in the soundtrack from Wishes or just the main beach? He said everywhere had the soundtrack, so we chose one of the smaller beaches we’d discovered, hoping to avoid crowds. We sat on a swing at first, but decided it wasn’t that comfortable. There was a hammock at our beach, but only one. Besides not wanting to fight over it, I wasn’t sure how well we’d be able to see fireworks with a palm tree (that the hammock was attached to) directly in front of us. So, we grabbed a couple of lounge chairs instead. We were the only people at this beach thus far. Reclining in the lounge chairs was fairly comfy and we settled in to wait for the show to start.

Dug played with his iPhone and I played with my video camera. Here’s a shot I got: the castle on the left, Space Mountain in the middle, and the Contemporary on the right. Very pretty at night:

Some more people joined us at the little beach and the show soon began. It became apparent immediately that sound was not being piped in from Wishes. Dug remembered hearing that MouseWorld Radio (on his iPhone) often played the Wishes soundtrack during Wishes. He tuned in, but it turned out to be a variety of non-Wishes Disney music. It worked anyway, so we left it playing. I took some video, so I’m able to pull a few stills of cool fireworks out of it. I love the reflections off the water on the first one:

Hidden Mickey firework:

Dug also took some pictures, but it’s hard to capture cool fireworks moments with a still camera. This is the last picture he took:

Soon, the show was over. We stood up. As Dug stood up, I saw something slide to the ground. It was the camera. I yelped for him to stop, as I didn’t want him to step on it. He stopped and did not step on it. So, I figured everything was okay, right? The camera was turned off, lens closed. Just brush the sand off and no problem, I’m thinking. Dug wasn’t so convinced.

He was immediately upset. He was sure he’d put the camera back in the case, but either he forgot or it must not have been zipped. And he knew that a grain of sand is capable of ruining a camera lens. After gently brushing off the sand, we headed back to the room to make sure the camera was okay.

I should point out that we bought this camera prior to our previous Disney trip, so only about 5 months ago. Dug had a digital camera already, but it was older and very large compared to most. We decided it would be nice to have a small point-and-shoot for our trip. Dug researched quite a bit and ended up having to order it from Amazon, as he couldn’t find what he wanted in stores. It was a (pretty) blue Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS15. Took really good pictures.

Well, it turns out that fireworks picture was its last. The camera continuously gave error messages and the lens wouldn’t stay open (and later, wouldn’t close). Dug read up on trouble-shooting (that iPhone comes in handy!) and even tried using the hair dryer to get any loose grains of sand out. Nothing worked. We were hopeful when we got a different error message sometimes, but the camera was done.

Dug was quite devastated, as this was the first day of our trip and he loves to take pictures. After sulking in our room for awhile, I suggested that we make ourselves feel slightly better by heading over to the Magic Kingdom. It was open until 11pm that night, so we still had some time. I think it was maybe 9:15pm or so by then. Dug agreed, so we headed out. We figured, since it was just for a short time, we wouldn’t bring our park backpack. I brought my video camera, though. And we wore our fleeces. Although it had been a pretty nice day (probably around 70 degrees), the evening was chilly.

We hopped on the monorail at the Poly. While we were waiting for it, I mentioned to Dug that with the way our luck was going, it would probably be Monorail Red. I don’t know if anyone else read that recent mini-trip-report on here about Monorail Red being stuck for 3 hours late at night and it was crowded and people were not allowed to get off or even open a window?? I figured if we got Monorail Red it would freak me out a little bit. But, we got a different one and were off to the MK. I must say again, we loved the ease of transportation from the Poly!

In a few minutes, we were strolling into the MK. Didn’t even need to go through bag check, since we didn’t bring one. It was starting to sprinkle just a bit.

We headed over to the camera shop on Main Street to see what kind of options they had. All they had was a small selection of Kodak cameras. Dug took note of their model numbers and pricing and we headed off.

I had magical memories from last trip of riding the TTA at night (it had just re-opened from refurbishment during our September 2009 trip), so we headed over there first. The view of Tomorrowland all lit up is so pretty. Plus, Space Mountain had been closed for refurb during our prior trip, so I thought it would be fun to ride the TTA through it now that it’s running again. We figured our late arrival wouldn’t allow us to actually ride Space Mountain (no fast passes at 9:30pm), but this would be a good way to get a glimpse of it. Plus, it would keep us out of the sprinkling rain.

Naturally, there was no line for the TTA. I love how relaxing that ride can be. I always sit facing forward, then put my feet up on the seat across from us. It’s comfy! I noticed this trip that the TTA went a lot faster than I remember it. I know back when we rode it as the PeopleMover in 1990 it was slow. But, I think last September it was almost that slow still. Maybe they worked out some of the kinks, cause we were whipping around that track pretty good. I videotaped the whole ride, as I figured I might want to re-live it later. No good stills from that video, though.

Once we were coming back to the station, I decided I wanted to ride again. I didn’t get to fully experience it with the camera, so I wanted to just ride. We asked to stay on and they let us. Another lap! It was cool to see Space Mountain in action again. Made me want to go on it. If you happened to peruse my 1990 “trip report”, you will know that I went on this a lot of times as a 13-year-old. In fact, once on that trip, I actually went 6 times in a row (almost no line, so we’d get off, run through the queue, and get back on again). I really was excited to ride it again sometime on this trip. But, for now, the TTA at night was providing some much-needed Disney magic for me.

Well, by the time we finished this lap, it was really pouring down rain hard. And, of course, it was the one and only time we attempted a park with no bag, therefore, no umbrellas or ponchos. It was just that kind of night, wasn’t it? Luckily, I was able to keep my camcorder dry in the interior pocket of my fleece. And Dug was smart enough to have us walk under the TTA track as much of the way as we could to Buzz Lightyear.

As far as Buzz Lightyear, I must say that we are not good at it. I, in fact, am pathetic at it. We are much bigger fans of Toy Story Mania. The problem I’ve had in Buzz is trying to locate my red dot. Never can seem to find and/or control the thing. But, there was no wait and it was raining, so Buzz it was!

We walked through the queue and got right on. I did my normal horrible-playing until close to the end. All of a sudden, for reasons unknown to me, I could clearly see my red dot and control it. So, I hit a whole bunch of targets a whole bunch of times! I’m trying to remember the score. I want to say I jumped from almost nothing to, maybe, 165,000???

Now I was excited. I had a breakthrough! Maybe I could finally be good at Buzz Lightyear! When we came to the exit, there was absolutely nobody waiting, so I asked it we could stay on. Nope. They were not as friendly here as on the TTA. So, we got off. We considered going through the queue and riding again, but Dug had other plans. By the way, you’ll see more Disney Magic (not for me) on this game later in our trip report. I’m still puzzling over the upcoming one…

By the time we got off Buzz, it was getting close to the 11pm park closing time. Dug's idea was to venture (yes, still in the pouring rain) over to Space Mountain. Just out of curiousity as to what the wait time might be. Again, we took as much shelter under the TTA track as possible on the way.

The posted wait time was 70 minutes. I had heard that sometimes, right before park close, rides will post longer wait times than they really have, so as to discourage more people from getting in line at the last minute. I wondered if that might be going on here. I asked the cast member at the entrance to the queue, “Is the wait time really 70 minutes?” She said, “It’s actually closer to an hour right now.” Dug and I figured, what the heck, what else are we going to do in the next hour? Wait in a crowd and the rain for transportation at park close? So, we jumped in line.

And walked. And walked. What a long queue! Walked some more. Came across the new games that were installed for people to play while waiting in line. Walked past them. We were starting to feel pretty hopeful, as we were walking past the games. This couldn’t be an hour line! Kept walking. Walked past the splitting point between the two coaster lines. Went left. Finally found the end of the line. Turns out that the 70 minutes was actually 17 minutes total until we were in our rocketships. What a great ride! Loved it! What a great way to end the evening at the MK!

Well, when we got off, it was still a few minutes before 11pm. We thought maybe we could get back in line before 11 and go again. Unfortunately, the exit corridor is so ridiculously long (and single file) that by the time we got out it was a minute or two late and the line was closed. Bummer! Guess we’ll have to ride the other side later.

It was still pouring down rain outside. We managed to make our way over to Main Street (via the Tomorrowland-Main Street shortcut) and walk through the connecting shops to get to the entrance. I think we kind-of browsed in the shops while we were cutting through. We’re not big shoppers, though, so didn’t get anything.

Sprinted through the non-covered area to get to the monorail station without drenching my video camera that was still in my (non-waterproof) jacket pocket. Ironically, guess which monorail pulls up for us? Monorail Red. Just our luck, I figured. I got on, ready for the next dose of bad luck for the evening. But the ride was uneventful! We got off at the Poly. Headed over to Captain Cook’s to pick up a carton of milk so I could eat cereal for breakfast the next morning. I brought my own cereal, since I was excited we’d have fridges for milk everywhere we were staying.

Got back to the room, stored the milk, and watched some SNL. To be honest, I have zero memory of watching SNL, but my notes say we did, so we must have! Checked the camera, in case some Disney Magic had gotten to it. It still was broken. Then, we passed out in the comfy (and bed-bug inspected) Poly beds. We were exhausted. Dug wore a pedometer and we clocked 24,000 steps that day!

Next up: From the Poly to the Wilderness Lodge

Also, what will we do about the camera? Will we have time to swim at the Volcano Pool? What will happen to Dug’s shaggy uncut hair? Do Figaro Fries actually exist? All this and more, coming up!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Very nice night, despite the rain and camera. I hope something worked out - that's such a bummer. We have a larger Canon that doesn't like damp at all - it's always fine once it dries out, but the lens goes crazy, not just if it gets wet, but if it's humid, which is a pain.

Can't wait to hear the next answers!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
jillianml
Mouseketeer

Love the animals!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: