Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
princess lovers mom
Life is just a bowl of cherries; don't take it serious; life's too mysterious

who has done Christmas at WDW and DL

We are looking to do a Christmas trip (week after) this year and want to go to WDW or DL (never been)...wondering for those who have been to both - could you help me compare?

When I look at the DL info it sounds fun, but I keep thinking about missing Osborne Lights; CP; resorts all decorated and the gingerbread displays....

is DL less crowded at all during the holidays than the horrible WDW crowds?

in California we are thinking of adding on the Rose Bowl Parade too...that is the only plus I can see for California over WDW
Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
outlander
I AM keeping my fingers crossed
But oysters are so ugly and pearls are so pretty

I have not done DL at Christmas but with more options in WDW, that would be my pick. Of course, if you want to catch the parade....that may be the way (route?? ) to go.

Have fun deciding!
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
gatordoc
more visits to WDW than I can remember

There certainly are more offerings at WDW, but IMO seeing the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay at least once in your lifetime may be worth it. I tend to go out to DL every few years at that time of year pretty much just for that. Oh, and the Small World holiday overlay is pretty cool, too.

gatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
mousireid
It still haunts me to this day....what I did for a Klondike bar!

I think both parks are packed! I will say that there are some things offered at each park that the other does not have holiday wise and you would have to decide which you would prefer. Haunted Mansion Holiday, the special Christmas Tour (VIP seats for parade, walk onto HM, Small World, three hours tour, free candy, free pin etc - recommended)! Small World decorated for Holidays, Santas Reindeer Roundup at the West Pole (MTMRR). But there's plenty to do between two parks and downtown disney is right next to it. Less trains/trams/travelling everything is within walking distance (especially if you stay onsite) and even if you stay offsite it is usually SO cheap to stay 10/15 minutes walk away outside the Resort.
However, you have more parks at DW. You have already spoken of the Osbourne lights and the vastness that is DW. In saying that I do Magic Kingdom always. DCA and DHS are comparable in some ways but those Osbourne lights are somethings else. Dining - check. DEcor - Check. Parade - Check. Fireworks - check.
I guess it depends how long you are going for and who is going with you. With little ones I found DL easier, but much more selections park wise at DW. I liked the coziness of DL, like an old friend with fun! DW was so much larger like a big adventure!
mousireid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
indimom3
Mouseketeer

I think they are very different experiences. You're much more immersed at DW, and you need at least 4 days to really do Christmas there, IMO. But you can be in and out of DL within 2 days and see it pretty thoroughly.
We were at WDW just this last Christmas, and I really enjoyed it. My last time at DL for Christmas was 6 years ago. I think the decorations were better at DL. Toontown and Fantasyland are better at DL.
It's really a toss up for me.

WDW Dolphin - Oct 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
FW Cabin trips - Feb 2009, Dec 2009, July 2010, June 2011, March 2012

Next Trip - YC October 2014
indimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

I thought WDW seemed a little less crowded than DL on the week after Christmas, but DH and I have done both and have managed to ride the rides we wanted and see the things we wanted to see at both places, despite crowds. WDW certainly has a lot more to see and do, but I think DL is just a little more magical. I may be biased because I'm a California girl and DL was my first love If you're spending a full week, I would probably pick WDW because there is more to do. However, if you go to DL, you could also spend some time checking out other Southern California things, like Hollywood and Beverly Hills, and there is always a lot going on in Los Angeles!
Giselle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
CrazyDisneyMommy1
I love the mouse!!!!!!!!

We have done both, twice. We were lucky this past xmas, as we decided to go to DL and it was much, much warmer. But we went for 9 nights and there was not enough for us to do. I did enjoy Haunted Mansion and SW with the Christmas stuff, but I think it would depend on how long you want to stay and your budget. Either way, Disney (land) or (World) at Christmas is great. When we went to DL this past Christmas DL closed down for awhile twice (Dec 27th -Jan 5th). When we went to WDW at xmas 2008 no parked closed amd 2007 Epcot and MK both reached capacity on Dec. 25th. only. I think if you are going for 6 or 7 days, then go to DL any longer I would go to WDW.
HAVE FUN!!!!
CrazyDisneyMommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
princess lovers mom

thanks for the replies - you are not making it easy!!

the problem is I want it to be a surprise for the WHOLE family - so I can't ask them their preference!!

I will keep deliberating!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
princess lovers mom

the tickets for the rose parade go on sale on 2/1 !!!

http://www.sharpseating.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: