Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
debdreamsofdis
DIS Veteran

What "extras" do you do at WDW?

I was just thinking back to my WDW honeymoon and remembering the day my DH and I decided to go ahead and rent the Sea Raycers and we had the BEST time! The next time we go, we will have added DS (8), DS (6), DD (3) and DD (1) to our family. Since, we won't really be able to do the SeaRaycers, I was thinking renting the larger Boston whalers might be really fun and worth the extra expense.

The more I read the boards, the more I find out about all about the other neat "extras" (things/experiences not included in your vacation package that cost extra). Of course, they all sound fun--Bibbity Bobbity Boutique, Pirates cruise for the kids, Bike rentals, Characters in Flight/la Nouba/T-Rex Cafe at Downtown Disney, spa treatments, parasailing...the list goes on and on. And this doesn't even include basic souveniers and things like Photopass and refillable mugs, which I think would be a good idea to purchase.

I'm assuming our family would stay 8-10 days in mid-October and be on the DDP. Since I unfortunately don't have all the money in the world and couldn't possibly fit everything in during one vacation, what do you think are the best extras to add on to a trip? Which extras aren't really worth the extra cost?

Last edited by debdreamsofdis; 01-19-2010 at 03:48 PM.
debdreamsofdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

It is Extra enough for us to BE at Disney....Character meals are about the ONLY extras. Aside from a souviner or two.
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

We have done all of the following extras & felt they were well worth it:

La Nouba
Illuminations Celebration Cruise
Wilderness Lodge Sleigh Ride (back when it was only $35.00)
mini-golf
MVMCP
Surrey bike rental
Boat rental at CBR
Boat rental at the Poly
T-Rex dinner
manicures at Periwig (salon at Y&BC)

Our best tour was probably the DVC tour...we ended up purchasing
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

For Last years anniversary, I got my very own glass slipper and Tiara on a silver platter while at Disney World

think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

we have young kids and we did the searaycers. DH went out with one child and then after a set time he came back and switched children. I don't like them as I am scared. Each child got to ride them and I took the rest swimming while they waited their turn.

We have also done MVMCP, MNSSHP, Pirate and Princess Party, pony rides, surrey bikes, BBB, PL, Family Photosession, WL Sleighride, character meals, autograph books, etc.

I try to plan different things when we go but the kids do have their favorites.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I would look at what your kids love to do and where you could get the best use of the money you spend. Remember, litttle ones such as yours do not have the wow factor bar raised as high as adults do! You can split your family up to what works for them as well, you don't all have to do the same thing.
I agree with Mouse House Mama that you could do the searaycers and take turns with your kids...we've done that and it worked out really well. Ususally there is a voucher in the Disney packages that would make it worth the time.

Ditto goes for the surrey bikes around the Boardwalk and at various resorts. We did the surrey bikes at the Boardwalk at night during EPCOT fireworks, at the Polynesian and at the Wilderness Lodge. The favorite was at the Boardwalk.

We also rented a pontoon boat when our kids were little and they still talk about it. They thought DH was THE cooloest dad for being able to drive the boat!

The pirate cruise would be great for your boys, they are at the perfect age! You need to think about will there be another trip and if so, will they miss that window? If you took it from the GF, your DDs are at the perfect age to play in the sand on the beach while they are gone.

The BBB and Pirate makovers are really awesome, but for the price, you could do that yourselves, dress the kids up in your room if you were going to prioritize.

La Nouba is AWESOME but pricey and I would wait for your kids to be a little older to really appreciate it if you are going to pick and choose the extras. Same for the Hot Air Balloon ride in DTD.

I think an extra that is so awesome that does not cost any money is going to the campfire sing along with Chip and Dale at Fort Wilderness. Maybe pony rides there too. After the singalong with marshmallows, the kids can play on the beach and watch the fireworks. It is really fun!

As far as restaurants go, you can always walk through T-Rex and Rainforest and have the kids get a great look at it and then eat at a CS more reasonably priced.

Your kids are at a great age to enjoy Blizzard Beach, there is something for everyone there if you are looking for a family, whole day experience.

I've not done it, but if I were to plan another trip with an extra we have not done, it would be the Pirates and Pals Cruise, it looks awesome and a unique experience.

Hope that helps a little, have fun deciding what you want to do! I also agree with Tricia's mom too though, that with young kids, the parks/resorts/restaurants are often enough!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Great topic! I'm always looking for new ideas.

We like to visit Fort Wilderness and walk around the farmyard there. There's a big barn and you can see horses from the parade (including Cinderella's white ponies). Guest age 3(???) and up can get a pony ride around a paddock. It's a nice, low-key afternoon away from the crowds. They also have a hayride in the evening that we plan to do.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

One extra that I haven't seen is visiting the Barber Shop at the Magic Kingdom. My husband got his hair cut there on our last trip and they added paint and 'pixie dust' for free! On our trip in June we are taking DS there for his first haircut.

My Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon Trip Report!
I Wish I May, I Wish I Might, Please Don't Let Us Miss Our Flight! An August 2011 PTR
*New! Interpreting Toddler-Speak at Disney! Aug 2011 TR*

August 2006 Wilderness Lodge, August 2007 Wilderness Lodge, June 2008 Saratoga Springs, November 2008 Wilderness Lodge, June 2010 Old Key West, February 2011 Bay Lake Towers (Finished Princess 1/2!), August 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
DisneyMomma09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: