Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

How can I give you a Florida quiz...i've never been!!! 3-17th July 2010

Very excited to start 1st ever pre trip report!!! feel in a celebratory mood as have just figured out how to insert images into the post...not too hot on computer literacy...have also received a boost as was at a Florida planning party last night with two mother's from my dancing school who will be there at the same time as us... but anyway...background 1st...

The Who: Me (Disney & Orlando fan) Cathy, 23, trainee accountant, 2 younger sisters and still live at home. started irish dancing when i was 4 and now teach it 4 times a week...been to disney 5 times, all with nana although various other people have came along...

DBF, Ray, 31, physics teacher, reluctant farmer, talented hurler and loves football...will be our 1st anniversary on valentine's day but we've already been to Spain once together nd visited the most terrible theme park in the world...it will be his first trip to Florida and disney!

The Why: *** I love love LOVE Disney, orlando, america etc!!!

the title of the report is a nod to the fact that i read the unofficial guide or read park maps every night beofre bed and one night asked DBF if he would give me a florida quiz...he brought up the valid point that as he had never been he wasn't sure how good a quiz it would be...the Q's were rather open ended...E.G Q What would you say is the scariest ride in WDW? At least he tried!!!

So...hope people will maybe have a read of the report as I post it up...I would love some advice on itinerary and dinig choices, one of my main fears about the trip is that DBF will be totally overwhelmed by the crowds and queues and just won't enjoy it as much as I want him to...OTH he is very enthusiastic and pretty easygoing so fingerscrossed we both enjoy the disney magic!!! This is a photo of me , my sisters and cousin in front of everest august 08
irishdancer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
LouDisney
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read more

I totally understand about not wanting to overwhelmed your DBF. When I took some of my family a few years ago, I didn't want to overwhelm them, so I didn't make a whole lot of ADR's, and I even planned the week with an "day off", as I like to call it. We took a day to relax, and spend by the pool. Well, they were hooked, and now, the family goes once a year, and when I go to plan the trip, they give me a list of places they want to eat, things they may want to do, or not. haha! They love being in the parks from the time they open, until closing.

Don't stress out about it. I'm sure he is going to love it. I would just sit down with him and explain what it's like, how things work, and discuss dining options. Don't overwhelmed yourself in the process, plan some things, (i.e, some meals, extra magic hours, etc..), and leave some days open to do whatever you guys want, or may not want to do.

I see you're from Northern Ireland. I will be visting your beautiful country, for the first time this year. In November. I can't wait

Last edited by LouDisney; 02-19-2010 at 09:28 AM.
LouDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

Hi Lisa thanks for your reply...

do you get to go to disney every year? io think the planning is all part of the fun but dbf thinks getting excited maybe the month before is time enough...

what part of northern ireland are you visiting? is it for fun/work/family?

so excited to get my first ever reply!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

encouraged by my first reply and also because i'm attending a florida party this evening to discuss a potential May 2011 girls only trip to disney...but back to the July trip

Here's a basic itinerary

Thurs 1st July : Fly to Gatwick from Belfast and stay overnight

Fri 2nd July : Day trip to Londo, which is dbf's responsibility to plan...my only requirement is a visit to the disney store!!!

Sat 3rd : Flight to Sanford, pick up Hire Car, stop at Walmart or publix for bottled water and snacks (cinnamon toast crunch, fruit roll ups, krispy kreme...mmm)...check in to Hampton Inn on Kirkman (wish I was onsite but maybe next time)...then head to Downtown Disney to meet another 3 other Norn Irish families (friends through irish dancing)...will be using public transport...so might be a bit of a late night...hopefully dbf will hold me back from dancing on the table with their resident irish dancer!!!

Sun 4th : Happy Independence Day...to ease Raymond in gently we are going to Discovery Cove, never been can't wait!!!
Evening : Downtown Disney, dinner at Planet Hollywood and hopefully watch the fireworks

Mon 5th : DBF's first glimpse of the castle!!! Breakfast at Chef Mickey's first though then from park opening til close...taking in spectro and wishes...

Heading to planning evening now so will hopefully post rest of itinerary later tonight,

and have got photos of all my fashion purchases for the trip so far...gotta love an excuse for new dresses!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
LouDisney
DIS Veteran

Hey Cathy!

Growing up, we went about once a year, but since becoming a passholder several years ago, and living in Alabama, which is not THAT far from WDW, I've been fortunate enough to be able to go about 3 times a year.

The planning part is very fun. I think most Disney people agree right?

My trip to Europe, will be my first over there. It's all for fun Me and two of my friends have been planning this for a year or more. As far as Northern Ireland, we will be spending a couple of days in Belfast. Our trip starts in London, we will be there a few days, then head over to Dublin, and instead of staying a couple of days there, we are going to go up to Belfast first, see the city, go to Giants Causeway, then after a couple of days there, go back to Dublin, spend a few days, then back to London for a few more days, then home. We are really excited about it.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
LouDisney
DIS Veteran

Cathy sounds like a great plan. I've been to WDW during July, and for Independence Day. We had a great time.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

that sounds like a good trip, if you let me know what kind of stuff your into i could maybe give you some local tips or advice?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

I'm in but will return tomorrow to read! I'm on my itouch ugh too hard to really manage the forum on it.
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

All caught up! Your purchases are adorable; I hope you did well on your exams.

I tend to be less stylish in the summer. The curly hair is typically pulled up instead of flat-ironed, and I sport flip flops daily. It is humid in PA like Florida.

I also vote for the Reefs. Reef makes ones that have glitter on the strap which are a little dressier than sporty. Caution to everyone- the ones with the bottle opener are neat, but the sales person warned me that it could damage hardwood floors. (I don't know if it is high enough on the shoe, but we had just put in new floors. so I didn't chance it.)

Looking forward to following your excitement until July. I think by June we will all be Tigger like!
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post

Guess it would save wasting time on a disney-hater! but then maybe needs to be balanced with your ability to convert an otherwise nice guy to see the disney light?! if that makes sense!

DBF is yet to be confirmed as a disney fan but he thinks me sitting on the dis for hours is 'cute' which I'm hoping is a promising sign!
I totally get what you mean!! If they were a good enough guy, then converting them would be a very good road to travel. It is very promising that he thinks your hours on the dis is cute!!

You're getting super close, girl! I didn't even realize I leave exactly one month after you!!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

I had no idea you had a PTR! I just read all 5 pages. I LOVE all of your purchases....so cute! In the parks, I wear regular flip flops from Old Navy. I live in them from April to October, so they work out well for me. My sister has a pair of Havianas and adores them. I tried them on once and they are great! Did you know that Nationals for Irish dancing are being held at the Swan & Dolphin during the beginning of your trip? A lot of the families from our school are heading down there and are making a vacation out of it.

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Hi, Cathy!! Just joined in, but I caught up with the report! Your clothes are awesome-- I love the headband from your mom. It's whimsical and cute-- perfect for Disney!
Totally makes sense to stay off site when you're visiting so many non-Disney parks/restaurants-- Hampton Inns are really nice. My mom used to work for the Hilton company and we could stay at Hamtons (and more) for $30/a night!
I took DBF on his first trip last summer and he LOVED it! He was so not excited to go (just did it for me), but he was SOLD. He loved our hotel (POR), the Disney buses, how nice the CM's were, how beautiful and well done the parks/rides were, etc. On the fourth night, while we were waiting at the MK bus stop to go back to our hotel, he says out of no where "You know, this would be the best honeymoon place. Let's stay at the Grand Floridian" Music to my ears! We're not engaged yet-- but I am going to hold him to this promise!!!
My father is from Kerry, so I've been to Ireland/UK over fifteen times. Love Belfast!

Hi!!! Wow your boyfriend's reaction to Disney was ideal! that's the kind of statements I want!!! Think DBF is just looking forward to getting there so he understands what i'm rattling on about!!! he has barred me from showing him any photo's from the castle, he says he's really looking forward to seeing it in real life and wants to be pleasantly surprised!

I live near Ballymena, that's so cool you've visited Ireland 15 times!!! I've been to Canada 10 times to visit relatives and loved just experiencing the different way of life for a while! any plans to return to Ireland? or is florida next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea UK View Post
Just subscribing and now going back to read more - how exciting!!
Hi! glad you came by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Well, you never know But yeah, I'm hoping I just have a really good feeling about him is all. So I'm hoping
crossed fingers for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
All caught up! Your purchases are adorable; I hope you did well on your exams.

I tend to be less stylish in the summer. The curly hair is typically pulled up instead of flat-ironed, and I sport flip flops daily. It is humid in PA like Florida.

I also vote for the Reefs. Reef makes ones that have glitter on the strap which are a little dressier than sporty. Caution to everyone- the ones with the bottle opener are neat, but the sales person warned me that it could damage hardwood floors. (I don't know if it is high enough on the shoe, but we had just put in new floors. so I didn't chance it.)

Looking forward to following your excitement until July. I think by June we will all be Tigger like!

I actually got one result back and got a good bit over the average, so feel marginally relieved to have at least one good pass!

Curly hair is hard work! i'd say mine will be straight for a few special occassions during the trip (maybe cali grill) but yep can't beat a ponytail!

Tigger Like! good comparison! i'm so glad i found the dis, somewhere where everyone thinks, talks, dreams etc about disney a big % of the time! DBF has reached capacity i think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
I totally get what you mean!! If they were a good enough guy, then converting them would be a very good road to travel. It is very promising that he thinks your hours on the dis is cute!!

You're getting super close, girl! I didn't even realize I leave exactly one month after you!!
Oh thats cool! Bet your so glad to be in double figures, anything less than 100 days really deserves to be super excited about! I made my countdown calendar, will post later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
I had no idea you had a PTR! I just read all 5 pages. I LOVE all of your purchases....so cute! In the parks, I wear regular flip flops from Old Navy. I live in them from April to October, so they work out well for me. My sister has a pair of Havianas and adores them. I tried them on once and they are great! Did you know that Nationals for Irish dancing are being held at the Swan & Dolphin during the beginning of your trip? A lot of the families from our school are heading down there and are making a vacation out of it.

Hi!! glad you came over!
I'll post my new flip flops this evening!
I went onto the american teachers website and saw the ceili's etc are on the monday...my Magic Kingdom day, so have that to maybe factor in too! DBF will not be as pleased as me to hear that! Thanks for the head's up! I coul;d look out for Madison's school, the only american one I can remember the name of is Trinity
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post

Hi!! glad you came over!
I'll post my new flip flops this evening!
I went onto the american teachers website and saw the ceili's etc are on the monday...my Magic Kingdom day, so have that to maybe factor in too! DBF will not be as pleased as me to hear that! Thanks for the head's up! I coul;d look out for Madison's school, the only american one I can remember the name of is Trinity
Madison dances for Rince Na Tiarna. Isn't that a great name? Trinity is a huge school based out of Chicago. They even have a touring group that I've seen a few times. They are really good!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!

Hey girl!!!
Just checking in with you!!!!!
hlrababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Cat0727
I am used to crowds and yielding to others all the time

Just checkin in to say hi, girl
Cat0727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: