Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

13.1 Before I Hit 40 - Running my 1st 1/2 Marathon at Disney uptd 09/30

I am probably the least athletic person you will ever meet.

Honestly.

I learned early on as a kid, that I had practically no talent at all when it came to anything that went on in gym class. In grammer school I was never able to get myself up on a balance beam. I never caught or hit a softball, and I could never even hang on the pull up bar let alone do an actual chin up. In high school I virtually gave up. I'd participate in the select few activities I could do without embarassing myself (swimming and floor hockey) and then skip as many gym classes I could before they'd fail me. When I'd run out of excuses for why I couldn't participate, I'd throw myself on the mercy of my gym teachers to be excused from softball, volleyball, lacrosse, flag football etc. if they'd let me run.

Not that I'd actually run.

Me and the other small handful of gym class rejects would walk up and down the pool hallway chatting, only running in front of the doors that opened up to the gym in case the teacher happened to be looking out. Invariably we'd get caught not running and be forced to run a lap under supervision and then return to our leisurely walk as soon as we were out of eyesight again.

Because honestly running was the worst activity possible in my mind. I'd run about 5 steps before doubling up with a side stitch and be gasping for breath. I hated it with every fiber of my being.

Which is why none of my longtime friends or family can believe that the entire point of my October Disney trip is to run the Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon. Really though, no one is more amazed by this fact than me.

About a year ago I started reading the WISH forums here on the Dis boards, and became fascinated with all the "normal" people training to run the Disney races. It intrigued me enough to do some research, where I found out about the book The Courage to Start by John Bingham. The more I read it, the more I wanted to try to run. I've never identified with a book so much in my life. Maybe it's the point in my life that I'm at. I feel like I've failed at so many things. At age 39 I'm nowhere were I thought I'd be in my life. I feel like I'm passing through life, failing at most things, and skimming by on the rest. I never thought I'd end up alone, in a brainless job, living paycheck to paycheck, finding nothing that really fullfills me.

I want to cross a finish line. I want to have that moment when I actually succeed and do what I set out to do. I don't think I ever really realized how much I need to feel that. I have no delusions of winning. I don't even care if I'm dead last. (Honestly I expect to be dead last). I just want to cross that finish line. For me, because I always told myself I couldn't do it.

I finished the C25K program back in September. I cried when I ran for 30 minutes straight, because I never thought I'd ever be able to do that. Now I'm ready to start training for the 1/2.

I'm going for 13.1 miles before I hit age 40.

While this thread is going to mainly be about my trip planning, it will probably touch a bit on my training along the way. If anyone is at all interested in the training part, I'll be keeping up with that primarily on my blog. I've added the web address to my profile, so if you click on my name over my avatar you can access it that way.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR

Last edited by If U Had Wings; 09-30-2010 at 01:08 PM.
If U Had Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

So now that I've babbled about why I'm doing something as crazy as running 13.1 miles, how about a bit of background?

I just turned 39 this past October, and have been completely addicted to Disney World since my first visit at age 9. I live in southern Connecticut, but work in New York city my second favorite place in the world. (Right after Disney World of course). No kids, but I have 2 beautiful, intelligent nieces that I couldn't adore more if they were mine.

I'm the planner for this trip. Joining me on this trip is my BFF, who has zero interest in planning and is happy to let me do everything. We've been friends since working at part time job together back in college. She joined me on my last Disney trip, and she'll be joining me for the 1/2 marathon as well. Unfortunately she moved south a few years ago, so we can't really train together.

As of right now everything else is up in the air. We'll be arriving on Oct. 1, but I still haven't figured out when we are leaving. It all depends on if we add on days at Universal, but there will be more on that later. I'm still up in the air about what resort to choose.

Lots of plans still to make. I'm 8 months out, and I feel woefully behind. Is that the sign of a Disser or what?

The Plans:
- Room Dilemas
- Deadlocked and Sidetracked
- Flights and Mess Ups
- It's Official
- It's All About the Food
- Treadmill Phobic
- How Many Days is Enough?
- I Think Disney is Messing with my Head
- Training at a Complete Screeching Halt
- Preliminary Plans for Day 1
- Itinerary Version 1.0
- ADRS and Itinerary Version 1.1
- Party at the Hard Rock
- A MNSSHP Quandry
- Woefully Unprepared and Flailing Miserably
- Five Things I Learned During My First Race...
- Changing the Training Plan up a Bit
- A MNSSHP Quandry Part 2
- Training Issues and Some Costume Narrowing
- And After All That...None of the Above
- Achilles Heel Exposed
- Plan Tweeking Possibly Necessary?
- Incognito...yet again
- The Most Horrible Training Run Ever
- A Few Last Plans
- 18 Days to Go and a Some Heartfelt Honesty
- A Bit Renergized
- Miscellaneous Thoughts
- 4 Days and Counting!
- 2 Days and Counting!
- La La La La La
- 16 Hours and Counting

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR

Last edited by If U Had Wings; 09-30-2010 at 01:09 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Just saw the link in your signature!! Great start to your PTR, you really can't start those early enough! I think it will be a great motivation for training to have this going on! I will need to check out your blog as well! I am still thinking about the 1/2 marathon (which I would think of as 21 km coming from a metric country ) next January.

It's wonderful that your BFF is going to run with you!

I will be looking forward to read about your planning!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Just saw the link in your signature!! Great start to your PTR, you really can't start those early enough! I think it will be a great motivation for training to have this going on! I will need to check out your blog as well! I am still thinking about the 1/2 marathon (which I would think of as 21 km coming from a metric country ) next January.

It's wonderful that your BFF is going to run with you!

I will be looking forward to read about your planning!
It's sad that I feel so far behind and I'm still more than 8 months out. I have issues obviously. I have no idea where I'm going to be staying for this trip.

I had been talking to my BFF over the summer about the John Bingham book and running, and she picked it up herself. She felt the same way about it, and became inspired to want to try it too. I just wish we still lived close to each other so we could train together.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Hey Wings!

Just wanted to let you know I am here!! Ready for a PRE-trip party- and what is this??!! A half?? Going back to read now. Will comment tomorrow!!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Joining in.

I think I'm going to order that book.

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I tried to update yesterday only to find out that I couldn't post anything to my ptr. Luckily I'm back to normal again today.

Plans for my trip have been going slowly, and by that I mean not at all. I'm trying to hold out until Feb. 1 when Disney releases the discounted rates for race partcipants for the resorts. My other big issue is to figure out how many days we are going to do at Universal Studios. I hate giving up Disney days, but I did promise my BFF I'd do Universal this trip once Harry Potter land opens. I would have prefered to do Universal first, but with the race being on a Saturday night it's going to be easier to work the days in at the end.

Training has been going slowly as well, as I got sick for about the 4th or 5th time this season. It's been in my lungs, and even walking too fast triggers awful uncontrollable coughing sessions. I haven't done anything in a week. Today I'm going to try my Zumba class, so hopefully if it goes well I'll be back to training next week.

I have been moving right along with plans for my bonus trip at the end of February though! Since all is quiet around here for the October trip I'm going to combine my very tiny PTR report for my Feb trip here. Just because.

I haven't mentioned it on this PTR yet, but I'm heading down to the world with my parents for 5 days at the end of next month before heading further south for a visit with my grandmother. I was only originally planning on being there for a day before visiting my grandmother, but let's just say that my mother and father are a couple of born Disers at heart. They enabled me right into going.

They are covering the cost of the hotel room, and in exchange I get to do all the planning. Not a bad deal at all, especially as it would kill me to turn over the trip planning. Somewhere along the line, my parents have lost all interest in planning of any kind. My father, who once wouldn't let anyone even look at his plans, now just gives me dates, and his credit card and tells me to do it all for him. I get a good laugh out of it.

Booking the room was first priority, and when traveling with my parents the easiest part of a Disney trip to handle. They are interested in staying in one place, and one place only.

POFQ

They'd love a deluxe, but don't want to spend the money on it. I suggested trying a value this time, or one of the other moderates. Nope, nope, nope. For them it's POFQ. I'm sure they'd pick somewhere else if they had to, but as long as it's available they have no intention of going anywhere else. They've tried POR before, but they found it too big. They love the small size of POFQ, so I don't really push too hard to get them to try another larger moderate. Luckily it was available, and it took just minutes to book the stay.

Next up - how I managed to screw up my flight reservations to the tune of $100.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

I love the beignets at POFQ.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Glad you're combining pre-trippies, I love hearing about both. I think with training, as long as you keep doing something, but don't push yourself, you'll stay on track. It's really tough when you're sick, I totally empathize. I am really into working out, at least three times a week, but when I got pregnant and went through first trimester nausea and exhaustion, that totally fell by the wayside. I try to do extra laps in the grocery store and park farther away when I run errands. At least it's something.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Thank god you like POFQ!!

MRYPPNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
I love the beignets at POFQ.
They are one of my mom's favorite things. Every night when we were at POFQ, we'd have to stop there at the end of the night for coffee and beignets. She's already talking about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Glad you're combining pre-trippies, I love hearing about both. I think with training, as long as you keep doing something, but don't push yourself, you'll stay on track. It's really tough when you're sick, I totally empathize. I am really into working out, at least three times a week, but when I got pregnant and went through first trimester nausea and exhaustion, that totally fell by the wayside. I try to do extra laps in the grocery store and park farther away when I run errands. At least it's something.
I don't blame you at all. I can't imagine that much of the exhaustion feeling. Last night I made it through my Zumba class without any major coughing fit, and I slept through the night as well. I'm hoping it's a sign that I'm on the mend. I'll try my Zumba class again on Saturday, and if all goes well I'll get back to running Sunday.

I too like to park a little further away in parking lots to give myself a little bit of a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Thank god you like POFQ!!
I know. They won't even consider another option. I'm looking forward to staying there again. I missed it a bit my last trip.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I can't believe I'm leaving in just 4 days for Disney again! Seriously it can't come soon enough. The weather around here in southern CT has been brutally cold this year, and the later it gets in the season, the more snow and other yucky stuff we are seeing. This week they are calling for snow/rain mixes all week. I'm trying to ignore the fact that they are calling for this on Friday too, when I'm supposed to be flying out. I'm not usually super afraid of flying, but the thought of flying with snow and ice is a bit scary. At least there is a week in Florida to look forward to, and even if the weather is unseasonably cold down there, it should at least be free of snow.

I have done scarily little packing for my trip at the end of the week. My room looks like a bomb went off in it. I've been trying to de-stash my closet while packing and the results have made things worse. We won't even mention the fact that I've been taking part in a knitting Olympic games with an online knitting/crocheting board I'm involved with. I got two of my project entries done, and have two more to go. Way too much going on, and not enough time is my problem.

I think I've hit the point though where I need to just focus on getting things ready for the trip. I finally made a list and I think I have a good handle on what I need to do.

To Do Before Thursday

Shopping/Store Items:

Buy Conditioner for trip - I thought I was set with this, but I needed to start using the bottle I had set already.
Check and see if I have earplugs - I'm sharing a room with my parents for the Disney portion of this trip. My father snores horribly. I sleep horribly. They are the biggest necessity of this trip.

Entertainment Items:

Am I the only person who brings more things to do on a plan than she will ever really have time to do? Seriously, I bring enough with me for a trip to Europe, when my flight is less than 3 hours long. Normally my personal bag is filled with books, music, dvds, knitting and sudoku to keep me occupied the entire trip. It's a bit of an illness I think.

Luckily my ipod touch is going to make much of this much easier now. On it I can store the pdfs for my knitting project, my music a few movies, games and books using the Kindle app. All in one little device. I heart my ipod touch! I already have a slew of books on my ipod, and several games. The Phineas and Ferb game for the touch is very addictive, and I love the classic Hunt the Wumpus game I have. I have the last Harry Potter movie that I haven't watched yet to watch, so I think I just download a few random tv episodes just in case. Probably some Star Trek, or Ally McBeal.

As for the knitting, I have some socks I need to finish, and I'll probably bring along a new project to start as well. I'll have lots of free time once I get to my grandmother's house and I'll like having something to work on while watching tv at night or chatting with my family

Personal Things

Get Eyebrows done
Color hair

Yes, I am that vain that I need to do these things before I go. I don't know if I would bother if I wasn't seeing family, but since I am I want to be looking my best. My hair isn't bad at the moment, I just have a bit of root growth. I bought one of those root-touch up kits, and I'm hoping that it will do the trick. I really am not in the mood to do my entire head before I leave.

As for my October trip, I've put the planning for that on-hold until I get back from this trip. I've hit a bit of a snag in the planning, and really am not in the mood to make any decisions until I get back. I had been hoping to stay at a deluxe this trip,as it's going to be really a birthday trip for my 40th birthday which is just after I get home. My part-time job which, normally finances a large part of my trips to Disney, just got bought out by a new company. They cut my hourly pay by more than half. I only work one or two days a week, and with the pay cut it's no longer worth it for me to stay there, so I gave my notice on Saturday. Since I'll be on vacation the next two weeks, I've already had my last day. Now I'm going to have to watch my budget even more for this trip. At least the tickets are paid for already.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Four days!!!!

I feel for you sharing a room with your dad! I am a very light sleeper and my dad is a snorer. I really don't think I could do it. Hope you're able to get all of the sleep you need.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Four days!!!!

I feel for you sharing a room with your dad! I am a very light sleeper and my dad is a snorer. I really don't think I could do it. Hope you're able to get all of the sleep you need.
It's just awful. One time I seriously was going to sleep in the bathtub as I wanted to cry I was so tired. Ear plugs are a godsend! I don't know how my mother has dealt with it for over 40 years.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I think you're THERE!!!!

Can't wait to hear about it when you get back! I want to know EVERYTHING about those beignets!!!!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: