Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

The Disney Grump & Family Take on the World-Our '09 Christmas w/ the Mouse, COMPLETE

Ahhhh, Christmas with the Mouse. Were we fortunate or foolish to be going to WDW during the actual week of Christmas? That will eventually be revealed. I will say that I have dreamed of seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays for quite some time now, and Christmas week was really my only option of doing so. Since my oldest started Jr. High last year it’s much too difficult to take him out of school, so we were stuck waiting until Christmas break.

For this trip, my dream was to stay at the Boardwalk Inn. On mine and DHs first visit to WDW we stayed at the Swan and I loved the whole Boardwalk area. The idea of being within walking distance to Epcot and just a short boat ride away from DHS just sounded heavenly to me. But, alas, my pocketbook would not support my dream, so I booked us a room for 8 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter, from December 19th-27th.

Before I go any further, for those of you who don’t know me, let me introduce my family.

There’s me, Michelle, I just turned (gulp) 40 this year. I was never able to visit WDW when I was a kid, in fact my first visit wasn’t until 2000/2001 (we were there over New Years), and that trip came about rather accidentally. The real purpose of our visit to Florida was to watch the Oklahoma Sooners play the Florida State Seminoles for the College Football National Championship in Miami. We were using DHs free SW flights for our trip and at the time they didn’t fly from Oklahoma City to Miami, so we had to fly into Orlando. I thought to myself that it might be fun to spend a couple of days at Disney World before we headed south to Miami. So, last minute I was able to get a room at the Swan and we were off to WDW! In those short two days I fell for Disney hook, line and sinker! I just love it!

Here’s a picture of me from a girls only trip I took this summer to celebrate my 40th (uggg) birthday. (I don’t think a photo of me by myself exists, so I’m with my girlfriends here – I’m the one in the middle)

Then there is DH, also known as Don. Unfortunately he has never been bitten by the Disney bug. He tolerates our trips, and for the most part has a good time while we are there, he would just rather go someplace else. I lovingly refer to him as the Disney Grump. In fact, I bought him this shirt for Christmas last year as a joke; he got a big laugh out of it and actually wears it quite often!

When I broached the subject of a WDW Christmas trip with him, his first response was no, but it wasn’t his typical “don’t bring it up again” kind of no, so I didn’t give up! He finally agreed, as long as I agreed that this would be it for a long time, he was tired of going to Disney. I said fine (with my fingers crossed, of course – hey, if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have gotten the trip!).

Here we are together - a do it yourself kind of shot

We have two boys, ages 13 and 9. My oldest, Justin, is in the eighth grade and in true teenage style likes to test his mother’s patience. He loves sports, and excels at both basketball and baseball. He is my more tentative child; he’s a worrier and is very detail oriented just like his mother. And when he has that teenaged mouth closed, he is very sweet.

Here's Justin

Our younger son is Jared, he is more like his father, he’s my wild child. I swear I have more than a few gray hairs (cleverly covered up, thanks to my beautician) due to him. He is a thrill seeker, and he's messy, and loud and it’s sometimes difficult to get him to focus on what he is supposed to be doing. I’m sure he hears the words “focus, child!” in his sleep! He also loves sports, and in addition to basketball and baseball, plays football.

Jared (this 1st pic about sums him up ) :

They are both generally wonderful kids and are usually well behaved, but like all children, they have their moments! My boys -

Sweet:

Crazy:

And last but not least, is our sweet Abby. She was a stray that adopted us when I was pregnant with Jared, and she has by far been the best dog I have ever had! Unfortunately she couldn’t make the trip to WDW with us, so she went to Camp Grandma for a full week of R&R!

So that’s us in a nutshell – thanks for reading along!

Up next: Bringing a little fun to the waiting game!

I should have reserved the 2nd post for links to my updates, but I forgot, so I'll add them here:

Adding some fun to the waiting game
We Arrive!
Epcot Day 1, Part 1
Epcot Day 1, Part 2
A Mom & Daughter Trip, Plans for May
Day 2, Animal Kingdom, Part 1
Day 2, Animal Kingdom, Part 2 & An evening @ POFQ
Day 3, A Morning at the Magic Kingdom
Day 3, The Epcot Storytellers, Part 1
Photopass Pictures
Day 3, Epcot Storytellers & Teppan Edo
Day 4, Breakfast with Pooh
Day 4, Magic Kingdom, Part 1
Day 4, Magic Kingdom, Part 2 Celebrate It Parade & Cinderella's Wish
Day 5, Hollywood Studios, Part 1
Snow!
Day 5, Hollywood Studios, Part 2 - Osbourne Lights!
Day 6, A Christmas Eve Shopping Excursion
Day 6, An Evening at Epcot
Day 6, Candlelight Processional & Souvies!
Day 7, Christmas Morning and an empty Animal Kingdom
Day 7, Animal Kingdom, Part 2
Day 7, Mini Golf
Day 7, The Surprise and Whispering Canyon Cafe
Day 8, Epcot, Le Cellier & The Grand Floridian
Day 8, Our disastrous dinner & what would happen with our evening plans?
Day 9, Departure Day
Final Thoughts

Last edited by SoonerGirl; 03-19-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I'm here!
and first to boot!
Woot!
If I was Dawn I'd probably use toot in the next sentence....
but I'm not so I won't.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Bengalfan32
Earning My Ears

Old 12-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
kbheap
Mouseketeer

I'm in. Can't wait for more.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I can't wait to hear more. Boardwalk is my dream resort too.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 12-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
stace208
DIS Veteran

I clicked over from Wigd's report! Can't wait for more
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
wsushocker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I'm here!
and first to boot!
Someone needs to read this book....

All Star Movies June '06 Port Orleans French Quarter '07 Old Key West June '08 Saratoga Springs July '08 Saratoga Springs October '08 Old Key West March '09 Saratoga Springs/Beach Club May/June '09 Animal Kingdom-Kidani/Saratoga Springs December '09 Boardwalk March '10 Beach Club/DCL (Wonder) May/June '10 Bay Lake/Beach Club/Boardwalk July '10 Boardwalk October/November '10 Beach Club/Riverside December '10 Beach Club March '11 Beach Club/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach May/June '11OKW/Saratoga Springs December '11/January '12 Boardwalk March '12 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo)/Wilderness Lodge/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach/Beach Club June July '12 Bay Lake October 2012 Beach Club Villas December/January 2012/2013 Beach Club Villas March 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL (Fantasy)/Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach/Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani/ May June 2013Bay Lake Tower October 2013
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
gellybean
DIS Veteran

I'm in!!

DESPITE the fact that I bleed burnt orange. *Ahem*

Ready to read all about the Christmas-y goodness!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsushocker View Post
subbing
Wow - Shocker's here too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsushocker View Post
Someone needs to read this book....

And picking on Wigd already, I see. Hey, someone's gotta be first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
I'm in!!

DESPITE the fact that I bleed burnt orange. *Ahem*

Ready to read all about the Christmas-y goodness!
Figures, a Longhorn fan

Just kidding, we can be friendly as long as it isn't the second Saturday in October right??? Or is it the 3rd now, they went and messed with it this year and now I'm all confused

Glad your here!!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
gellybean
DIS Veteran

Yeah that 17th of the month OU weekend totally messed up everything this year!

My dad's and nephew's bday is the 11th and most years we all get together to watch the game and celebrate birthdays, but noooooooooooooooo TV scheduling had to interfere this year.

AND we played Tech in September! That was just WRONG!

Thanks for the welcome despite my Hook'em Horns bumper sticker!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Hey girl!
I'm here....going back to read...I've been MIA, so hope that your trip and holidays were wonderful!! Subbing!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Joining in and going back to read

Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

just joining in--love the report so far!! the parks look so awesome with the holiday decorations
Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

I'm in! I'm curious to know what you thought of WDW during Christmas. I've never been there at that time (we've only gone in Feb, April during Spring Break, and the summer). One of my colleagues is there now (Christmas - New Year's), so it put the idea in my head for a possible future trip. Looking forward to reading more!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Early the morning of our departure, while the rest of the world was still asleep, I hopped out of bed and hit the shower. Funny how much easier it is to get up when Walt Disney World is your day’s destination! The kids got up pretty easily too, and we were down waiting for the airport shuttle before 5am.

We got checked in at the airport and received our bill for our checked baggage, $60. I don’t know about the rest of you, but those stupid fees really irritate me. That being said, I was expecting to have to pay $80, so $60 actually sounded like a deal!

Our flight arrived right on time, and I only had to tell the boys half a dozen times to stop arguing and keep their hands to themselves so our morning thus far could be considered a success. But as we got off the plane, Don stopped dead in his tracks and said ‘I left my sunglasses in the car’. Of course, he wasn’t about to purchase “Disney” sunglasses, so we had to stop at the Sunglass Hut in the airport, and of course, he couldn’t just get any pair of sunglasses, it had to be some almost identical to the Ray Ban’s he left in Dallas. Sooooooo, we left the gate area $130 poorer than we were just a few short minutes before. As I was waiting for Don to pick out his sunglasses, I had a call from Garden Grocer; the groceries we had ordered had been delivered already and could be picked up at bell services at our convenience.

Now, it’s off to the Magical Express counter and on to WDW!! Only problem was, I couldn’t find it. Yes, I’ve done this before, several times in fact, but for some reason I thought it was on the “A” side of the airport. After walking all the way up and down the ground level, I realized that I obviously was remembering wrong and we headed over to the “B” side. Once we were in the right place, we found the counter with no problem at all, and true to what the CM had told me the night before, there were no issues with me having left the transfers at home. The CM behind the counter printed us new tickets, got us set up for airport check in at the hotel for our return, and sent us on our way. There was no one in our line, and as soon as we got to the front, we were lead to a ready waiting bus. Here we are on the ME bus, looking a little tired, but excited none the less!

I got us checked into the hotel and our room was ready. I had the CM check on the box that we had shipped down and it was at Riverside, where apparently all of their deliveries go. He called over and said we would need to come back by later and sign for it. Then I got in line to have the concierge transfer Don & the boys park tickets to their room keys. The lady behind the counter there gave me a bit of a hard time because she wanted to know how I had a room with dining and didn’t have park tickets included in the package, because that wasn’t supposed to be allowed. I told her obviously it was, because we had no trouble booking it that way. She told me it had to be a mistake, but she would add the tickets to the room keys like I was requesting. I didn’t want to argue with her, so I didn’t mention that I’m booked for a room/dining only package in May as well……she apparently needs to be brought up to date on what is available to passholders......

After all of that was taken care of, we headed off to find our room. We were in building 1

Room

A few shots of the room (just ignore my family getting in the way of my empty room shots )

Hidden Mickey on the bedspread:

We were all pretty hungry at this point and decided to grab a bite to eat at the food court before heading over to Epcot for the rest of the day. I took a few photos of the resort as we walked back to the food court. I think our building was about as far away from the lobby/food court/bus stop as you could get, that being said, our walk was only about 5 minutes. POFQ really is a very pretty resort.

Continued in the next post.....

Last edited by SoonerGirl; 02-19-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: