Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
figmentfan2009
Mouseketeer

Figment in Germany, Day1

We made it! We flew through Detroit and, while we sat in de-icing for an hour... we were only an hour late. There is one family that was in Amsterdam and they were looking for still (maybe today) and one family that won't catch up until Tuesday.

Germany is beautiful and cold. We got in to the hotel, showered and were on the streets of Hidelberg by 1. We walked up the pedestrian walkway to the Universidad Platz to the Christmas Market that has the carosel. It was cold, but not too windy. We invested in wool hat and glovies for DS and a pair of fingerless glove/mittens for me (it is PERFECT for taking pictures!!!). I've uploaded some pictures but will have to get them in a place where I can post them from.

DD was happy for her coat! She and I both have colds... which made the flight fantastic, but the cold air seems to clear out just about everything.

Dinner was killer (the food here is obscenly good... bratwurst in the christmas market... pastries... cookies... spiced mulled wine... ).

Today, we head out to the Hidelburg castle then the afternoon on our own. Intentions are to go to the Christmas market on our walk back from the castle, maybe take in a bit of ice skating on our way back, and, of course, tons of pictures.

Not sure when I will post again... having creative time with the internet... but will post when I can.

Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
figmentfan2009
Mouseketeer

Day 2 part 1... Heidelberg Castle

Okay... if nothing else wonderful happens, today was worth the price of admission. To be able to stand atop the theater and see the view from there was priceless. Saw the biggest wine cask in the world (actually got to STAND on it...), learned about the romance of the castle, the toilets from the castle, the moat (UNDER the toilets... can you say "I will take squatty potties in a HEARTBEAT!!!)... and IT SNOWED most of the day. Flurries, but enough to make it really pretty.

We got to go with the kitchen maid on our half of the tour. The others went with the washer woman. It was neat to have her kind of go in and out of character with us... first talking as if it were the 1600s... then interjecting that you can find copies of the German books that the Catholics took from the castle on the internet if you do a little looking.

We opted to walk back to the hotel, down the steps, and down through the town. Stopped at every little nook and cranny Christmas market we passed... saw the skating rink (but we decided that it was small enough that it might be a better idea to not have gangly DS trying to not fall over everyone... ) so we got Gluewine (hot mulled wine) in cute little Heidelberg cups, lunch at the stalls and made our way back to the hotel... slowly......

Stopped at the old bridge and got our pictures taken in the monkey face.. The way Stephanie told the story... by putting your face in the monkey's face... you see things through the monkey's eyes... so you remember that life is about having fun... and by seeing yourself in the monkey's face... you remember that this is how the world sees you as well... THIS will be one of my favorite pictures... of all of us...

Stopped off at Der Shope and got gummy bears (some in a santa bear decoration, some in a santa clause decoration... and some beer flavored ones in a Heidelberg teeny tiny beer stein.

DS found an off the side street shop where he bought the thing he wanted most... a beer stein. It was awesome and less than half price on sale. It was amazing that he got exactly the right thing for less than he ever dreamed he would pay for it.

Stopped off at Woolworth (who knew you would find one of those in germany...) and bought extra warm socks and a black scarf. and now everone else is crashed out at the hotel.

Was less cold today than yesterday, so the walk was wonderful... and tonight... wine tasting and dinner.

I keep thinking about what they said before dinner last night... This is truely a fairy tale that we are getting to write for the first time... No one else has ever done the Adventures by Disney Chrismas Fairy Tale tour... and last night was page one... it was Once Upon a Time... and everything else we write, we write from there...

I've pretty much gotten to the place in my life where every day should be Once upon a time... and every day should be its own adventure....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

So glad you made it to Germany safely and on time and are able to enjoy the full trip. I know you have been looking forward to this trip for a long, long time. It's a bummer about the individuals that are missing out on the beginning of the trip, but I'm sure the guides will try to make it up to them somehow. Enjoy the rest of your trip....I mean fairy tale..... and Merry Christmas!

Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the wonderful updates! Hope the rest of your trip is as magical!
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Ah, it sounds wonderful so far! Truly enchanting!

Looking forward to more reports!

Oh, and "monkey face"????

And Woolworth's is big in England (Woolies), so I guess I can see it spreading to Germany, too...

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

Oh your trip sounds wonderful so far, have a great time.

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14

helenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
disneytraveler
will the real celeb please step forward!
Well i am creative and talented
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Ah, it sounds wonderful so far! Truly enchanting!

Looking forward to more reports!

Oh, and "monkey face"????

And Woolworth's is big in England (Woolies), so I guess I can see it spreading to Germany, too...

Sayhello

Its the bridge monkey
Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentfan2009 View Post
Okay... if nothing else wonderful happens, so we got Gluewine (hot mulled wine) in cute little Heidelberg cups, lunch at the stalls and made our way back to the hotel...
Actually it is Glühwein...as in "Glow Wine" (I think if you drink too much you glow a little!)
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
bonrea
Family-Above All Else In Life

Pictures... Do we have pictures yet? I'm so excited to have this report but would love any pictures. Please... I'm booking in a few weeks.

bonrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
figmentfan2009
Mouseketeer

Try This...

I'm not terribly great at this... but I think it will work... if not, I need to tinker with the flickr account
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Would love to hear more about the actual trip if would like to tell us about it
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
bonrea
Family-Above All Else In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentfan2009 View Post
Try This...

I'm not terribly great at this... but I think it will work... if not, I need to tinker with the flickr account
You are great at this! These look fantastic! Thank you very much.
bonrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
briano72
Earning My Ears

sounds like an awesome trip
briano72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: