Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
hegsag
Mouseketeer

A question for teachers

Would you enjoy receiving a candle for a Christmas present? I love candles and would love to get one. However, I worry that the teacher may end up with a bunch of heavy candles to take home. I took advantage of the buy 2 get 2 free Yankee candles & now I'm second guessing. Opinions appreciated...
hegsag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
hipporina
I keep Kleenex in business

This teacher would love one! You can never go wrong with Yankee Candle. More than anything, I'm just pleased to know my students and their parents care and are thinking of me.

WDW: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, Dec 2013
Disneyland: 2009
hipporina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Personally no, I dont use them (or light them cause im terrified of fire), but many teachers do enjoy candles.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
kidzmom3
DIS Veteran
Would tell all for a free cruise!

I told this story on a thread last Christmas:

Me: the kids are selling Yankee Candles as a fundraiser. Want to buy one? Who doesn't need a candle.

My sister the teacher: are you kidding?? I could open my own Yankee Candle shop with all the candles I have received from students over the years. I wish they would just give me a card or a note and save their money.

Me:
kidzmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

As a former teacher-- no. In fact please don't give me anything smelly, it really gives me a headache and bothers my allergies.

Scents are such a personal thing. You may love vanilla but I hate it. I do enjoy some cinnamon things, but only very specific ones. I really think that teachers get enough stinky candles and stinky bath stuff (that is what MIL-- also a teacher-- calls it!) that ends up at someone else's house.

Unless you really know what she likes in Bath and Body lotions or candles I really wouldn't.

But, it is the thought that counts and I would be extremely grateful that you thought of me and honored by your gift and would never let your child or you know that it wasn't my favorite. I would also feel guilty when I either regifted it to a friend I know who loves it, or gave it away on freecycle but I wouldn't be able to keep it.

Teacher's get all sorts of things they may or may not like, and they all know that the spirit behind the gift is what matters.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

I am NOT a teacher...so my opinion is worth what you are paying for it

I do not like candles...I do not like scented bath & body lotions.

I will get sinus headaches from that type of stuff that will last a day, if not more.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
gregokdisney
Mouseketeer

I'm a teacher

and unfortunately the smell of those strongly scented candles make me ill. Candles are a very subjective thing, imo, either you love them or hate them.

As a teacher, the best gifts are gift cards, especially to teacher supply places so we don't have to spend our own $$$$ on supplies, ornaments (as long as you know the teacher celebrates Christmas) but the best gift of all is just a card with some words of appreciation!
gregokdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregokdisney View Post
As a teacher, the best gifts are gift cards, especially to teacher supply places so we don't have to spend our own $$$$ on supplies, ornaments (as long as you know the teacher celebrates Christmas) but the best gift of all is just a card with some words of appreciation!
I am not a teacher, but DD is. I second the gift card to store that sells items that teachers give out to their students, such as stickers, pencils, etc. Either an educational store or even a craft store such as Michael's or AC Moore.

DD often gives out these things and the money spent comes straight out of her pocket. She has never complained and loves doing this for her students. But I would bet she would a gift card and put it to good use!!!

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

I'm a teacher,but a music teacher so I don't get a lot of gifts. I personally wouldn't mind a candle, in fact I would most likely use it if it was a food scent.

I know classroom teachers usually get more mugs, candles, and ornaments that they know what to do with each year.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Well....

1) Candles and other things with strong scents give me a migraine and

2) I have 4 cats, so candles are a no-no.

I appreciate every gift I receive, but candles are definitely given to another teacher or regifted to a relative that I'm SURE likes candles.

Marsha
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #11
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

My brother is a teacher and I like when he gets candles as gifts - he just drops them off to me on his way home since he wouldn't even open them up LOL...
Personally I just give the teacher a gift card-this year I got her a 25.00 gift certificate to Regal movie theater. I wouldn't get them something for hte classroom since I don't feel that is a gift for the teacher...I buy something for the classrom during the year but not as a gift.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegsag View Post
Would you enjoy receiving a candle for a Christmas present? I love candles and would love to get one. However, I worry that the teacher may end up with a bunch of heavy candles to take home. I took advantage of the buy 2 get 2 free Yankee candles & now I'm second guessing. Opinions appreciated...

Oh please no...none for me, thanks. I have put dozens, literally, of candles in my annual yard sales over the course of the 20 years I've been teaching.

I would love though, a $5.00 gift card to just about anywhere.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

I get each of my children'ts teachers a gift card to Target every year. I figure they can always find something great there.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
Lanshark
Peace be still
Congratulations on your flower bloomin thingy

It's the thought that counts but candles cause my allergies to go haywire. It seems to be a very popular gift and I receive several every year.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

I love Yankee candles and so for the first few years I had a child in school that was what I bought for each of the teachers. Then I started reading the disboards and now I just do a gift card for either Borders or Barnes and Noble. I figure most teachers are readers and if not, there are games, movies, music and usually a cafe. I think Target would be a great gift card as well. For my daughter's preschool teacher I was thinking what I should really get her is a bottle of wine, but I don't know if she actually drinks! If I were teaching that classthat's what I would want.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: