Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

"IIIIIIIIIIIIII'LL DRINK TO THAT!!!!" April 6 - April 11, 2014 Post #854

OK, if I had any clue my November 2009 trip (aka ending my 13 year Disneyland Drought) would snowball into getting an AP and taking 4 more trips... I would have organized this thing a little better. I just thought it would be my one trip before heading back in a few years. (Little did I know.)

April 2010. 11th Anniversary Trip 4 1/2 years late http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2342117&page=5 Post #74

October 2010. WELCOME FOOLISH MORTALS. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....342117&page=11 Post #155

January 2011. "Disneyland just isn't the same without Splash Mountain, is it Mom?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....342117&page=18 Post #257

April 2011. "No honey, the Billy Hill guys aren't robotic like the Pirates..." http://www.disboards.com/showthread....342117&page=26 Post #386

November 2011. Finally! Setting Sail On The Sailing Ship Columbia After 15 Years... http://www.disboards.com/showthread....342117&page=41 Post #603

October 2012. WELCOME FOOLISH MORTALS. VOLUME 2. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....342117&page=49 Post #729

April 2014. "IIIIIIIIIIII'll Drink To That!" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post51366171 Post #854

ENJOY!

OK, here goes my first TR...

As mentioned in my title, it has been over 13 years since my last visit to Disneyland. Far, far too long. When I was growing up we would go to DL almost every summer for 3 days. I have many happy memories of Disneyland being my very favorite place to be. Fast forward to adulthood...DH and I went to DL with my family a week after we got married. (Does anyone have a picture of a couple taking a nap by the little door near Alice in Wonderland from Aug. 1994? That was us. I just remember having my eyes closed and people walking by, commenting on how cute we looked and taking our picture.) We visited again with my family in Aug. 1996, where we re-enacted the napping near the little door so I could have my own picture. Then, that was it. The drought began.

Now 13 years and 3 sons later, here we are. Earlier this year my DS6 saw a commercial advertising the "get in free on your birthday" campaign. He said, "Mom, you need to take us while we are young so we will enjoy it." I thought this to be rather profound for him, and it got the wheels turning. The research began. I booked the HOJO Kids' Suite in July for $99/night. No Entertainment Card needed. That was just the rate. I found Disboards in August. I planned and planned, and watched DH roll his eyes a number of times (part of the reason we haven't been back ), and kept the kids in the dark about my plans. Finally, I couldn't keep it in any longer. At the end of September we celebrated "Talk Like A Pirate Day" one week after the official "Talk Like A Pirate Day." The kids woke up to this poster:

I spent the day preparing a Pirate Treasure Hunt for them. I had bought wooden pirate-themed ornaments at Michael's. I typed up rhyming clues in a pirate-talk/pirate-y font and taped them to the back of the pirate ornaments.

One clue after another sent them all around the neighborhood. The last clue led them to a Pirate Treasure Map. They had to figure out what location was represented by the map, and then we were off to a little beach in a local State Park. They ran down the beach until they found the big black X and began to dig.

They each dug up a little treasure chest with puzzle pieces and chocolate gold coins.

The put-together-puzzle:

The part about the hitchhiking ghosts was what gave it away for DS9 and DS6. DS3 was too busy stuffing chocolate coins into his mouth to pay attention.

They also found an envelope from Mickey containing strips of Mickey Mouse wrapping paper. They had to count the strips to find out how many days until we would leave, and then they made a countdown chain with the strips. It was nice to talk about the trip openly with someone who wasn't doing this: I held off buying our park hoppers because DH's boss has a friend that works at DL, and we were waiting to see if we'd get any free-ness out of that relationship. A few days before leaving, we found out it wouldn't work out. So, off to buy our 4 day hoppers at The Disney Store. Now, I still think the ticket prices are a bargain for what I get out of the DL experience (or did years ago...). But wow, it's not 1982 anymore, is it?!? I recently came across my old Disneyland Passport from that time period...1 day Child ticket for $9!

More to come soon...

Last edited by deejdigsdis; 05-05-2014 at 04:57 PM.
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Back sooner than I thought...

We headed out for our 18 day round trip road trip (decided we'd fit in some visits with friends and family and time things to hit our usual Thanksgiving spot on the way home) on Nov. 11th. We arrived at HOJO on the night of Sat. the 14th, after spending that day at Legoland. We checked into our Kids' Suite and were not disappointed. It was plenty big for the 5 of us. We loved our 6th floor location. Our neighbors were the outside wall and the ice machine area. As far as the infamous freeway noise goes, it didn't bother us at all. It was quite noticeable when we first entered our room, but we got used to it really fast. We didn't use the A/C to drown it out, the kids never even noticed the noise, and it just wasn't an issue.

Our first day in the parks was Mon. the 16th. I was way too excited to get a good night's sleep. Finally, everyone was ready to go. The walk from HOJO was easier than I was expecting. DS9 and DS6 never complained about it. DS3 was always in the stroller. He never complained about it either. When we reached the Disneyland Resort sign I was all smiles. But it didn't quite feel like I was there yet -- that was unfamiliar territory. We breezed through security, passed the ticket booths, and headed toward the turnstiles. That's when the happy tears started. I was back! I didn't know if I would ever make it back there, and here I was, about to pass into that magical realm. Anyway, I was glad I was wearing sunglasses. I didn't want to appear too crazy-lady-ish.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

OK, just had to make sure the picture-posting thing worked.

I was just so excited. We passed the Mickey Head flowers, then on through the tunnel.

Don't worry, I won't be giving a second-by-second play of the whole visit.

It's sinking in...I'm really at Disneyland! After heading through the tunnel, I sent DH and the kids to City Hall to get "1st Visit" buttons. I headed down Main Street. The tears were still coming. I knew I was going to cry. I just didn't know if it would be because the Disneyland that I knew and cherished from yesteryear (yesterdecade?) was all but dead (that's what it seemed like in all the research/reading I had done -- so much had changed), or if it would be because I would just get that same old feeling when I passed through the turnstiles and tunnel and entered Main Street. I am happy to report that the Disneyland I knew was alive and well at that moment.

So I am heading down Main Street alone. Where? To Space Mountain to get FPs for later. I did stop in the middle of Main Street and take this picture.

Oh yeah, just in case one might notice that our family is conspicuously missing from the pictures that I post, there is a reason. For the past 7-ish years DH has worked in the field of providing treatment/therapy to s** offenders. This work has taken its toll and led us to be a bit more protective of our online family privacy. Hopefully it won't detract much from the TR... I for one love to look at complete strangers' pictures and read about their DL adventures.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

After picking up the Space FPs, I headed back to the big Christmas tree. The guys had gotten their buttons and we noticed some filming going on.

Anyone know who this is? DH heard the name "Zach" mentioned, and something about an ABC Family show.

My next order of business was to hop on the Disneyland Railroad at the Main Street Station. When I was young, that was always our first thing we did, to put us in the Disney mood as we caught glimpses of what was to come. Seeing as how this was my kids' first visit, I wanted to take a roundtrip ride and watch their excitement build. As it turned out, I think it was just my excitement that was building. They were more wondering why we weren't doing anything while everyone else was.

So we get off the train at Main Street and they already needed a snack. We just sat on the benches right there while they ate pretzel sticks and pumpkin seeds. I took a few more pics.

I just loved all the poinsettias everywhere. Just beautiful!

Alright, break time is over -- I'm wondering how they will ever make it through the day...taking a break after being there for maybe 30 minutes?!? Off to Adventureland we go, straight to Tarzan's Treehouse.

DH stayed down below and I headed up with the kids. They loved this and took a little bit more time with it than I would have, but that was fine.

Next up...POTC! A favorite of mine. DS9 and DS6 were looking forward to this one. DS3...not so much. I had shown him home videos and youtube videos to no avail. "Mom, I'm not going on the Pirate ride. It's too dark and there are too many pirates and it's too long." We got in line -- oh wait, there was no line -- we just walked on. DS6 and DS9 sat in the very front by themselves, then DS3 sat between me and DH in the second row and was fine. I just love that ride.

Haunted Mansion was next. Again, we walked right into the house. I asked a CM where the FP machines were for later. He just said, "You won't need them today." All the kids were fine with this one, although they were really disappointed that they didn't get to see the hitchhiking ghosts. Afterall, that is the clue that clued them in to the fact they were going to DL. For me, I didn't care for it at all. The Holiday version, that is. I tried to just enjoy it for what it was, but it was hard. I missed the floating candles and the "Hurry Baaaack! Hurry Baaaack! Be sure to bring your DEATH certificate!" I could be remembering it wrong - it's been a while.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Time to get a little wet. Off to Splash Mountain we go. Line was 5 - 10 min. long. All the kids were fine in line, until DS9 used the words, "50 foot drop." DS6 got anxious at that point. I told him I would ride in the very back with him so we could sit together, so that's what we did. DH was in front of us, with DS3 in front of him, and then DS9 front and center. DS6 began to cry a bit, but enjoyed it by the end. I held him tight during the drop. DH on the other hand FORGOT to hold DS3 the best he could, and he slid clear forward during the drop. He seemed OK, but still...

We decided to do Pooh next. Well, it was right there, but DS3 needed to feel safe, I assume. Another walk on. The kids loved it. I wish I knew to look for Max, Buff and (what was the other one's name) from the old Country Bear Jamboree. I didn't find out about that until after our trip. Anyway, I went to go check out the Splash line. 20 minute standby, 25 minute FP return time. Is that weird? I grabbed FPs, we rode Pooh again, then that cute little Pooh Corner was calling my name, so in we went to check out those Tigger Tails!

Yum! I meant for the 5 of us to share the 2 tails -- they seemed like they would be really sweet. DH, DS9, and I had maybe 5 bites between us, and the other 2 boys ate the rest. Very cute and very sweet. Time to get in line for Splash. Once DS3 figured out what we were in line for, he started to cry. So I got out of line with him once we reached the loading area, and we just waited for the others to get off. We got a child swap pass and DS9 hopped back on with me. At this point this is his favorite ride.

Time for lunch at Hungry Bear. I remember this being a favorite when I was younger. I like the location. I had to get another picture:

DS9 said, "You're taking a picture of a garbage can?!?" Anything that looks unchanged from my childhood is picture-worthy to me! I remember these trash cans so well!

Seems like a good stopping point. Laundry is out of the dryer and I can go to bed now.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
goofycathy
DIS Veteran

Location: ONLY 752 miles north of the happiest place on earth!!!

Great TR, cant wait to read more!

Me & DH DS16 DS14 DD9

goofycathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
AZBeth
Mouseketeer

enjoying your trip report

we were there part of the same time you were there (11/13 - 11/17). Love all your photos, especailly since I accidently left my camera battery at home, so no great photos... We loved Bugsland and all their wonderful details.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBeth View Post
we were there part of the same time you were there (11/13 - 11/17). Love all your photos, especailly since I accidently left my camera battery at home, so no great photos... We loved Bugsland and all their wonderful details.
Thank You! Ooohhh, bummer about the camera battery. I took a lot of pictures but I found that I wish I had taken a lot more. Maybe if I went regularly I wouldn't feel the need to do that, but since I don't, I wish I had taken more.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #9
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

So... heading back to Disneyland. On our way in we saw Goofy. We took a few quick pics and then headed over to the Mark Twain dock.

I passed off the camera to DH so he could capture our debut in a show at Disneyland (), and then DS9 and I went to the waiting area. OK, I'm not the performing type, but give me a golden choir robe, a tambourine, and put me on the Mark Twain and I'm all over it. Once everyone arrived - I think there were only 20-ish of us - 2 of the girls from the show gave us the low-down on what we'd be doing. I was really excited. They explained what we'd be doing during each of the three numbers we were involved in. We lined up on the side of the boat that faces the island. We were each given a streamer to wad up in our hands until showtime. When it was time, we were led to the other side of the boat and we waved our streamers to "Goin' Down the Bayou, Goin' Down the Bayou, Goin' Down the Bayou..." I don't really know if that's the name of the song, but those were the words that were stuck in my mind for the next while. After that song we went back to the other side of the boat where we were each handed a very large music note. We were led back out and we "danced" the music notes to and fro over the edge of the boat. Back to the other side of the boat for our wardrobe change! Well, we didn't actually change. We just put these golden choir robes on that zipped up over our clothes. We each received a tambourine, and were led out once again for the final number. (We were on the bottom level of the boat all this time, by the way.) "You Gotta Diiiiig a Little Deeper..." The songs were really catchy - they still pop into my mind once in a while. So we danced around and played our tambourines until the show was officially over and the streamers shot out. Actually, most of us kept going. It was just such a catchy tune.

OK, I've got to backtrack a bit. When we were waiting to go out for the first number, one of the other regular old guests pointed out a guy to me who was also performing as a regular old guest and said, "See that guy...he does the voice of Louis the Alligator in the movie." I wasn't completely sure if she knew what she was taking about, but it was still interesting. Then after the show was over, as we continued sailing around, one of the regular old guests that performed with us that happened to be there with the guy that was supposedly "Louis" told me, "See that guy, he does the voice of Louis in the movie." I figured since he was there with him, he probably knew what he was talking about. It was indeed him. During this time - as we sailed the rest of the way around - Tiana and Naveen posed for picures with all of us regular old guests. I was really missing my camera at this point. I asked "Louis' friend" if he just happened to be at Disneyland that day or what. He said yes. "Louis" introduced himself to DS9 and shook his hand. He said, "Hi, I'm Michael." DS9 asked him to sign our boarding pass ticket for him. I asked him to say something "Louis-y" for us, but he just laughed it off. Oh, here he is:

After the Meet-n-Greet with the characters, all of us regular guests were given Mardi Gras bead-type necklaces with a medallion-type thing on it that said "Tiana's Showboat Jubilee" on one side, and "Disneyland" on the other side. I have to say that this was a highlight for me - to perform in a show at Disneyland. Hmmm...it was Cast Member Party time tonight. I wonder if I should have gone...

Last edited by deejdigsdis; 12-08-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

After the Jubilee, I had some tired and cranky kids. I'm pretty sure there was crying involved. I really wanted to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and this was the perfect opportunity. We were right there and showtime was in about 15 minutes. I figured it would be crowded and wondered if we'd even find a table to seat 5. No worries. Maybe 3 tables were staked out??? I ordered ice cream and cake for all of us to share. DH and I had our own table and the kids had their own table. Other people filed in, but not that many more.

Whoa! Anyone want to split some cake???

This show was a nice break and everyone enjoyed it. I wondered if it would be one of those shows that grown-ups would enjoy, but kids would find boring. This was not the case at all. All 3 of the kids laughed a lot. They especially enjoyed the "teeth" and the bit about the bow going up Billy's nose and him saying something about how you want your kids to have a nice quality experience at DL, etc.... and how you would never see that (bow up the nose) on a brochure for Disneyland.

And a bit o' Christmas Cheer from Golden Horseshoe:

We split up at this point. DH and DS9 went to go use Indy FPs, and I took the other two boys to ride Buzz and Astro Orbitor. Later we met up at Nemo. The line looked a little daunting, compared to what he had seen so far this trip as far as lines went in general, but it ended up being only a 12 minute wait! I hardly had time to text my sister and ask her if there was ANY way she thought she'd be able to get a few days off work in the next year for the 2 of us to head to DL alone, and if so, I would upgrade to an AP just for that. (The sadness was settling in that I only had 1 more day. ) Anyway, I had heard so many not-so-good reviews about Nemo, but I really liked it. I thought it was cute and clever. DS3 and DS6 especially enjoyed it and were excited the whole time. It was all very real to them. I won't admit how old I was when I realized that you didn't actually descend once you got in the sub. Those bubbles made it so real to me. The last time I was at DL I think the subs were just totally gone and out of the water, so I was happy to have them back.

When we got off Nemo, we had time for just one more ride. It had to be Autopia because we were that close to closing time. All the kids love this ride and it was a short wait so all was good. It was fun to do at night while the Fireworks were going.

I thought it was weird that our stroller was waiting for us when we got off Autopia. I had left it over by Tomorrowland Terrace, closer to the Matterhorn. DS6 said, "There's our stroller" and I said, "No...I left ours over here" and headed off to get it, but then upon a second look I realized it really was ours. That reminds me...another night that we had split up and I took the older 2 on Indy and Big Thunder Mountain while DH and DS3 did some Fantasyland stuff, we were walking along heading back to FL. DS6 said, "There's our stroller." And it was. Parked by the Teacups. It was so funny! It was really crowded by that time, not to mention dark.

We had planned on doing our after-hours shopping on this night and headed toward the shops on Main Street. It seemed like the CMs were really rushing everyone out. We quickly found out that we had to exit ASAP since there was a private event that night. So we left - there were tons of people outside the gates waiting to get in. Not sure what was going on. We ended up heading to DTD for a bit of shopping and some Wetzel's Pretzels.

More Christmas Cheer:

It seems like this sign was never completely lit up while we were there.

Back to HOJO we go...DS9 is practically sleep walking. His eyes were closed and DH held him by the arm and guided him along. DS6 was sleeping and riding in the stroller. DS3 was...well, all over the place. He was running here and there, very energetic, laughing, jumping, etc. It was really funny since the rest of us were so exhausted. He didn't take a nap in the stroller that day, so I'm not sure what was up with that. It did make for a nice walk back to the hotel, though. At one point I decided to just plop him in the stroller on top of DS6 so I could go a little quicker. Good thing DS6 was asleep... he never would have agreed to these riding arrangements had he been awake. And that brings us to the end of Day 3 out of 4. So sad.

Last edited by deejdigsdis; 12-08-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #11
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

That's so neat you got to be in the show! I'm dragging my boyfriend to the movie at some point this week
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When I was going through my pictures and came across this one, I thought, "Wow. This looks like it could have been taken in 1977. Or 1982. Or 1996." I was glad it looked the same. I had read that Space Mountain was closed for 2 years, but when I rode it I couldn't tell that anything had changed (ride-wise). I knew when there would be a dip, or a turn, etc. and I was surprised that it all came back to me after 13 years. I guess I was expecting more of a change if it had been closed for 2 years. Not that I wanted a change or anything, mind you. I looked it up on Wikipedia and read that the entire track was removed, and they completely rebuilt the new track in the exact same layout as the original design. (Ah. I wasn't going crazy.) I also read that the exterior of the mountain was painted green and gold () for a period of about 6 years, and then was repainted white. I can't imagine it being green and gold. Any reviews on that one?
Gotta love Magic Mornings:

I remember when space mountain was green & gold ... it looked like a copper pot that had been left outside rusty and greenish looks good on garden art looked horrible on space mountain

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Welcome back!! I'm anxious for more! At class so I will be wordier next time. Funny that your boys liking DL now is a kind if negative. I had to re read that a few times :-)
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Is HoJo's going to mail you the wallet since you can't get there to pick it up? (The Disney hotels will usually mail items left behind by guests, but I don't know if the off-property places do the same thing.) If not, is there anyone else who can pick it up for you? I could always pick it up for you when I go to DLR, but that will be another 12 or 13 days from now. That's a long time for them to hang on to a wallet!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Welcome back!! I'm anxious for more! At class so I will be wordier next time. Funny that your boys liking DL now is a kind if negative. I had to re read that a few times :-)
Hi TK!

Oops! I didn't mean to imply that the boys liking DL now is a negative. I want them to love DL. The negative was not being able to go back for a while. There's a big cost difference between 2 people going for 2 nights (me and my husband/me and 1 child) and 5 people going for 7 nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Is HoJo's going to mail you the wallet since you can't get there to pick it up? (The Disney hotels will usually mail items left behind by guests, but I don't know if the off-property places do the same thing.) If not, is there anyone else who can pick it up for you? I could always pick it up for you when I go to DLR, but that will be another 12 or 13 days from now. That's a long time for them to hang on to a wallet!
Thank you for that kind offer Sherry! But yes, they said they would mail it out today. It sounds like they mail forgotten items often. They just charge the credit card they have on file for postage. Do the Disney hotels pay the postage? I wouldn't expect them to by any means...just curious.

Off to the next installment...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: