Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile "IF I WERE A FRAGGLE..." BACKSTAGE MAGIC TRIP REPRT; Mar28-APR 3rd '10- W/PICS &VIDEO

(Some interesting characters hamming it up inside the teacups at Disneyland)

If I were a Fraggle, I would choose to be the character who "likes to do laundry and cooks radish soup a lot" because I enjoy his main principle of beliefs and they are:

That there are two things in life that are certain........1) Death and 2) Laundry .

Anywho ----

MAJOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just booked this trip! Ok.....I have been up since 8 am yesterday and haven't yet caught 20 winks ..I am SOOOO UP for this trip!!!! And all introductions aside, my name is Kris and well......I am a confessed Disney nut who loves all things Disney. Recently, I took a serious look at the ABD's "Emerald Isle" vacation but the conversion from U.S. to Euro isn't where I want it to be at this time (possibly in a yr or so I will revisit this). So, as a nice alternative solution to this rather delicious moral delima, I chose this trip of a lifetime for many reasons:

1) I wanna know more about the history behind Walt's dream.
2) and of course.....let the "inner Goofy" in me come out and enjoy new places and have fun meeting new people who also enjoy all things Disney.
3). SEEING THE JIM HENSON STUDIOS! I L-O-V-E THE MUPPETS!
4)
And speaking of the above reference, my favorite Disney character? Why.....it's Goofy.

OK - I have never been to DL and am looking forward to:

1) My very first trip to "Fantasmic' (crossing my fingers)
2) My very first rice Krispy treat (dipped in chocolate of course)
3) My very first seeing of the parades and fireworks

4). My very first ride onboard the Jungle cruise ride.
5). my very first ride in the teacups.
6). THE CALIFORNIAN GRAND HOTEL.
7). My very first SUCCESSFUL viewing of the "Hidden Mickey(s)" while seeing California Soarin (first & only time on the ride - Jan 2009 - ........I ducked!).
8). Seeing "Great Moments with Mr Lincoln" for the very first time (I tried seeing Hall of Presidents - Jan 2009 while in Orlando but it was closed for refurbishment).
9). misc......
OK.....will calm down for now. Will write more over the next few days
YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAA YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPEEEE!!!!

If anyone can give me some suggestions or tips as to better enhance this adventure, please feel free to post on this thread cuz I am looking forward to hitting the ground running when I get there.
Some questions I have for all of you are:
1) should I wear earplugs while watching the fireworks?
2) are there cd's of park music from either Disneyland or California Adventure? Where would I find them?
3).
4).

But one thing is for sure, The Fraggle "with no name" will be my traveling partner as he will be the appointed food critic and what not. And yes, in keeping with tradition of my trip reports.....any ABD "surprises" will not be a part of my trip report.....just lots of pictures and videos - where I am allowed to take them.

COMING UP NEXT:

my memories of having a conversation with Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & his trusty assistant Beaker (years ago) and e-gads and gazooks! Can I pay someone to help me pack??

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014

Last edited by knewton64; 02-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Oh you are gonna have a blast!

DL is very cool.

I have only been once BUT.....We wee there for 1 day before a cruise and for 3 days after a cruise.

It is very different than WDW.

IT IS WAY SMALLER.

And at first i thought a bit cheesy dont get me wrong....I came to really like it and FULLY enjoyed myself BUT have done WDW about 25 times and had to get a Different mind set on.

I willpost a couple picshere and on our cruise board too.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
2GirlsMama
Happy Wife and Mom

Hoo-ray for you! This is my #1 dream ABD trip! I can't wait to hear what you think of the Muppet studio. Our entire family LOVES the Muppets!

I hope you have a great time planning, dreaming and traveling!!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
dizzi
DIS Veteran

view from balconey at GAND CALIFORNIAN!!!!!!!

ENJOY!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
kristilew
DIS Veteran

You are going to have so much fun! Love your trippy report name. (Mainly because I fraggles!) Can't wait to follow all the details.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

Thanks for the link. I'm along for the ride ...

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

I was catching up on so reading over at miceage, and was sad to learn that the World of Color is not scheduled to start until the end of April or the beginning of May.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile Argh!!!! - Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonderz View Post
Just got caught up - that's so cool!

Also love your title for the trip report (we were watching the fraggles just tonight)

Thanks! Just something about those Fraggles that just bring out the case of the giggles in me - looking forward to seeing the Jim Henson creature shop as the moment the doors open up & I step inside, it's a mix of mentally running through my mind the Fraggle Rock theme song combined with the Willie Wonka song, "Pure Imagination."

In short, Fraggles just.....well....."ROCK".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
I'm loving your pre TR. Like I said on your SOA TR I will be on the April 13th BSM tour. I might have a few questions for you when you get back if you don't mind.
As a kid I lived in Southern California so We went to DL one or two times a year. I love DL.
The last time I was there was in 2003. I have only done one day trips to DL. This will be my first time staying on DL property, and spending multiple days at DL.
I hope they have the Rivers of America full of water when you go. I will be so sad if I miss Fantasmic. I have never seen it DL or WDW.
I hope the World of Color is running when we are there too. They are saying late March for the show opening. Maybe you guys will get to see the first show.

I have been bad and not done any research except read one TR about this trip. She did a great job with her TR. IT had alot of information about this tour.

I will be rooming with a friend I met thru the Dis on this trip. We will get to Hollywood a day early, and be staying an extra night after the ABD portion of the trip as well.

I can't wait to read more about your plans.

Thanks 4 coming on aboard this trip report! I can tell it's going to be a blast - will answer more of your comments below.

(picture of Pirate Stitch & I while on the Disney Wonder; Jan 2009)

..........this adventure is almost upon me & I haven't really BeGuN tO pAcK!!!!

we before we delve into that subject, onto a more favorable one in relation to this adventure:

**** FOOD ****

"F.W.W.N." (AKA "****er") & I have been discussing this topic these last few weeks & have even fielded a few suggestions from a few people. HHHHHmmmmmmm.....we have a looked and a looked all over the internet at many a place (for the first two days of this adventure) and still come back to one place:

PINKS.

Pinks is about 9 streets down from the Renaissance hotel and 3 streets to the right. If you were to Mapquest it you will see the specifics on the place. To he & I, Pinks is an out of the way place that just exudes the word "Adventure;" and that spells us - so we are going to run this by the ABD guides and if no issue, then to Pinks it is.
per se, we plan on cabbing it to it, then stretching our legs on the way back as that's a good way to also people watch. All in all, there is sooooooooo much to do out in Hollywood & we also plan to see Madam Tussauds Wax museum as well.

Also, wanna great pic of the Hollywood sign??

....just boogy on over to the Hollywood & Highland Center. Here is a short blip on it:

"Hollywood & Highland Center is the best place in town for views of the internationally famous Hollywood Sign. Originally erected to promote a Hollywood real estate development, the sign is now recognized around the world and can be best viewed from Levels 2, 3, 4 and 5. The optimum vantage point is from the bridge on Level 4, near Koji's Sushi & Shabu Shabu Restaurant. Stand in the middle of the bridge and you'll see the sign perfectly framed by the giant arch in the central courtyard.
Go to the info center (near Gramaun's Chinese theatre; 4th floor near the Sushi restaurant) & there you will have a perfectly framed shot of the sign. Don't have specifics on the name of the info center but if you google it under Renaissance hotel (Hollywood)and look up under attractions - you will see the specifics."

But about Pinks....
What's that you say? What is Pinks? Well - it's a place that sells sandwiches, hotdogs & what nots.
We have looked at their menu and like what we see & plan on seriously making a big dent in it.

This is one of the many reasons why I am sooooooooooooooo glad that I have lost 10 pounds so far on my ABD pre-trippy diet; which consists mainly of "Ladybug" (13 yr old female Beagle) & I getting in our daily hour walks around the neighborhood & watching what we eat.

Then come late march 27th - it's time 2 celebrate & say, "Diet? What Diet?".

Anywho -

You combine that with what I had said earlier (a few postings ago) about those Mickey Rice Krispy treats & what not & I can tell this is going to be quite an adventure .

Now onto a rough idea of my Day Four "On Your Own Time"
(approx 4-8pm at Disneyland)

Will be watching 3pm parade from the train station; so proceed to

1) Main Street USA: "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln."
2) Ear Engine (Main Street USA): purchase Mr Potato Head parts.

Adventureland

3) Enchanted Tiki Room

Fantasyland
4) Matterhorn
5) Alice in Wonderland
5a) Mad Tea party.

and finish in Mickey's Toontown. Pst!.....I plan on catching up with the Rivers of America, Columbia Sailing ship & what not on my post day....

Anywho, after Mickey's Toontown -

Then take a rr train back to Main Street USA and...

....get a bite to eat at Carnation Cafe (half Turkey Sandwich on Pretzel Bread with the Loaded Baked Potato Soup perhaps?) & at the Blue Ribbon Bakery, a rice Krispy treat with soft drink to go 2 take back to the hotel (food opinion & pics forthcoming) but take my time as I meander through Downtown Disney and do some shopping.....and find a place that makes a mean margarita .

So as you can see, this is just a rough outline on what I plan on doing as YES YES YES - we (FWNN & I) highly recommend anyone going on this trip to please do your research before you go as this will further enhance & maximize your adventure.
And speaking of maximizing, We are currently sitting at about 80% occupancy & out of this are 12 minors. So hey - pretty full up motorcoach I'd say .

That does stink about the update (the attraction being delayed) on "World of Color."

QUESTION: Does anyone know where / what park / when "Captain E-O" is at??

I do regret though not booking a pre-day (I do though have a post day) but oh well....there is always a next time!

But about the packing of my OnE SuItCaSe..........

I need to get up off the floor and begin packing! My idea of a packing list forthcoming.

(pic shot of Pirate Stitch during my WDW /DCL adventure; Jan 2009 onboard the Disney Wonder)

UP NEXT:

The receiving of the "Know Before You Go" backpack (color?) and dreamin' of the California Screamin' & such out at Paradise Pier; pm of day 5....

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014

Last edited by knewton64; 02-14-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
knewton64

Smile A twisted pirate tale of deja vu....

(pic of entrance to POTC @ MK - January 2009)

A few days ago & after a rather long work week, (NBA allstar week and we were OVERSOLD all week at work!), I was in the mood for some much needed pixie dust in my general direction.
So, I head home with quite literally my tail between my legs - just totally spent emotionally. I get home and whip up a mess of cajun food while listening to some Disney music and seeing what's up with Ladybug.
After a while, we both sat down and have a bite to eat while watching our favorite Disney movie, "Mary Poppins" as the Disney music got shut off.....for a while.
About 20 minutes into the movie, there is a loud knocking on the front door with Ladybug just going banannas!
After seeing who it was, I quickly realized WHO IT WAS and soon it was a race to see who could get to the front door the quickest.

************* IT WAS U.P.S.! *****************

I signed for the box and quickly raced back inside to see what they had sent me:

********* LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN!!*************

Nothing like cranking up the Mary Poppins' movie (my favorite Disney movie) through my stereo while nibbling on some great cajun food.. After a bit, it was time to:

*************DUM DE DUM DUM!***********

BEGIN PACKING!

So, up went the Disney music as I began to put a few items into My OnE sUiTcAsE:

1) an extension cord. I am a firm believer in this as I will have literally anything & everything plugged into it; from I-pods to I-pod chargers to battery chargers to what not.

2) I-pod speakers.
This is very important as I will be listening to Disney music on my I-pod while in my room & while getting ready in the am.

3) 6 gigs of digital film & digital camera.
Hey.....I like to take a lot of pictures & video..... YA THINK?

4) PONCHO & umbrella.
You never know when it's going to rain.

5) a personal item (book) for on the airplane, "It's hard to be a shrimp" by Pepe the Prawn.
6) socks & other items.

7) TWO pair of sunglasses.
You never know if you just might happen to break or lose one.

8) 2 small boxes of Tide laundry detergent & 2 boxes of Bounce.
(to do laudnry while at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel).

9) roll of quarters for the laundry.
9a) spare change for those pressed pennies!

10) phone card
(in case I get lost & need to call the ABD Guides).

11) 3 pair of shorts.
12) toilteries & emergency bag.
13) portable dvd player?? I am still deciding on whether or not to bring it for use while onboard the plane (& have it be part of my "personal items" 11 lb max I can carry onto the plane). To clarify, I am choosing to have a carry-on onboard the plane (a duffle bag w/lots of pesonal items) but have it not exceed the weight limit of a one personal item we are allowed to take onboard.
14)

Somewhere in my suitcase, I have noticed that "The Party Crashers" have just made themselves at home so - look for them to pop up in a few pictures.

Now earlier, I was lucky to have my OnE sUiTcAsE (ABD's Spirit of America adventure - Sept '09) to come under at 60 inches at 42 lbs - hope I can STAY under the weight limit again this time as I plan on buying j-u-s-t a few things while on this adventure

Anywho - that's it for now - will & have to finish packing in about 14 days as this adventure is now just around the corner!

UP NEXT:

ok...."Splash Mountain".......wear a poncho or no.....the debate continues. Pm me or post your responses below if you feel wear one or not & why as this will be my very first time riding the attraction.

....and a response from Stacey (the "Top seven things you must see while at Disney..." television person).

T.T.F.N.

Last edited by knewton64; 02-25-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

That is great news! It is only a few weeks away now. I can't wait to read your trip report.
I vote poncho on SM, but I am too much of a wuss to ride it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5
Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
aspen37

Thanks for the pictures of the items you received. I have been wondering what kind of pack we would get in 2010.

As for Splash Mountain wear the poncho. I have been on where I got a little wet and I've been on when I have been drenched from head to toe.

I was going to start packing this weekend but never did. I think I will next week.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
airbear
Earning My Ears

I have never been on the Splash Mountain at Disneyland but I have ridden Splash Mountain at Disney World a zillion times and I've never worn a poncho. Your level of wetness at the end of the ride depends on where you sit. Front seats usually get pretty wet. Back seats are much drier. By the way, I'm really enjoying your pre-trip report Knewton. Have a blast on your trip. Can't wait to hear about your adventure.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
aspen37

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear View Post
I have never been on the Splash Mountain at Disneyland but I have ridden Splash Mountain at Disney World a zillion times and I've never worn a poncho. Your level of wetness at the end of the ride depends on where you sit. Front seats usually get pretty wet. Back seats are much drier. By the way, I'm really enjoying your pre-trip report Knewton. Have a blast on your trip. Can't wait to hear about your adventure.
I have been soaked a few times in the last row. At WDW Splash Mountain sits two in a row. I was told to sit in the back on the left and I wouldn't get very wet, I got soaked. The other thing is the water cannons, if they have them turned up it won't matter where you sit. We weren't coming down the hill the last time I got soaked we were on the other side of the drop and the water cannons we really turned up and everyone in our log was soaked from head to toe. It was a rather chilly day to start with and we had to leave so we could change. I now wear a poncho as much as I don't like it. I do like having it to sit on so my butt isn't all wet when I get off the ride though.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

So much drama... But you never say what happened! I can't begin to fathom what they could have done to set off such a rant.??
Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Icemann
Dis Vet

What did ABD do to you that was so bad.You did a good job of trashing them now what was so bad that you are scared for life.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: