Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Disney and the swine flu

We are planning to go to Disney the week after thanksgiving. We will have a 6 week old.

What is the swine flu threat at DW? Should we cancel our trip?
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Swine flu or not, I wouldn't be taking a 6-week old to WDW at that age.. Too many germs for such a young baby..

Just my personal opinion though..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

What does your pediatrician say?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post
Swine flu or not, I wouldn't be taking a 6-week old to WDW at that age.. Too many germs for such a young baby..

I'm with you C.Ann but be ready for the flaming, I got burned a lot last thread for saying so.
I do think it is even more important with a flu going around that no one under 50 has any immunity to. I can't stress that enough that no one under 50 has any in born or acquired immunity to this flu so I would not be taking any infant that young into a mass of people.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
la79al
DIS Veteran

I personally didn't even leave my house until my DD was older than 6 weeks. But I know that's a little strange. Are you driving or flying? I would say definitely cancel if you are flying. If you are driving though, I would probably still go and just take extra precautions. Obviously at 6 weeks DC is not going to be touching everything and then sticking their fingers in their mouth so that helps. Keep in mind though that even if you keep the baby in a plastic bubble, one of the adults could just as easily get sick and pass it along to the baby.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

I know 2 families who have gone in the past couple of months, and they all came home sick! I think you're exposed to a lot of people, crowded places, lots of kids, and especially during flu season, I personally wouldn't take a 6 week old to Disney World.
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran

My mother and DD7 were just in FL from Wed-Mon and by Thur my daughter was already sick...I was suppose to go with them and bring my 13 month old but with all the swine flu and other issues we decided against him and I going.thank godwe didn't go because my mother now has a case of it..Again just my personal opinion but I wouldn't even think of taking a baby that young. When my DS was that age I hardly ever took him out of the house unless absolutely necessary, again just my opinion though..Good Luck with whatever you decide
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
DVC Sadie
Those mashed taters are sounding good about now
The more they are washed the softer they get

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post

I agree with you.

There is no way I would take a child to WDW right now and I have already rescheduled my trip.
DVC Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Mom2MCJP
Earning My Ears

We are heading down there on 11/21. I have 4 kids and my youngest will be 11 weeks when we arrive.
I spoke to my pediatrician and he said that there is no greater risk than going to the mall on any given day.

Now...I won't be walking around handing my baby off to everyone and their brother to hold either!

But honestly...this H1N1 is not going to stop us from living our lives!
Mom2MCJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MCJP View Post
I spoke to my pediatrician and he said that there is no greater risk than going to the mall on any given day.
I just don't think that's true. At DW, you are exposed to SO many more people and people from different places, who potentially have been exposed to different things that you've been in your own "home" area. There are a lot more kids - who we all know are little vectors for all sorts of stuff!

Also as someone mentioned, people don't want to cancel they're expensive vacations when they're sick or their kids are sick...they go anyway.

Just my 2 cents. I'd say an 11 week old is better than a 6 week old, because hopefully he/she has had a round of vacc's at least, and either way, its good they aren't mobile and getting into everything yet, but to me, it's still risky.
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
ajpa
DIS Veteran

I remember when my babies were 6 weeks old -- I don't think I would feel up to the energy required to tackle WDW.

I don't think we would have considered flying them anywhere at that age either.
If it were me I would reschedule wdw to when the baby was a wee bit older, sleeping though most of the night, and just taking one nap a day. Preferably not during any kind of flu season either.
2007 Jan - Port Orleans French Quarter
2003 Oct - All Star Music
ajpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
jaleaton
I walked into a Target bathroom and it smelled like Disney World!

Do what feels right for you. Another thing to consider is mom's health. Is mom feeling ok, and will she be able to walk around the parks 6 weeks after delivery?

Me, DH, our baby (who was 3 months), and two of our friends went last month, and we were all fine, and came home just as healthy. None of us got sick, and none of us had received a normal flu shot, or an H1N1 shot. I carried my baby around in her Peanut Shell carrier (which she loved, and it also helped protect her from the sun/breezes or people touching her, and people that may have been sneezing around us).

Again, just do what feels right for you, and ask your pediatrician their opinion too, as they are probably more qualified than any of us non doctors.
June 2006:Engaged at WDW, July 2007:Honeymoon at CBR, Oct. 2008:POFQ & 1st MNSSHP, Jan. 2009:OKW & VWL w/ Kayla87 & TKTommy, Oct. 2009: 1st Trip as DVC Members @ BLT w/ Kayla87 & TKTommy (Isabelle's 1st Trip), June 2010: AKL , May 2011: BLT, June 2011: OKW,November 2012: BLT (Juliet's 1st Trip) October 2013: BLT, January 2014: AKL,May 2014: Boardwalk,
jaleaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

It is the same threat as anywhere else right now...In fact with all the people probably packed in from all areas of the world, I would say higher risk than average.Flying is also very high risk.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
saraheliz
Mouseketeer

i have never been one to stay inside with my babies, i was out and about with both of them by around 2 weeks old. that being said, they were both may babies and the flu threat wasn't as high.

just remember this: a fever in a baby that young earns you an automatic 3 day pass to the hospital, minimum...spinal tap, the works. they have to check for infection in a baby that young. my dd had a fever very young (not from anything contagious) and i will NEVER forget the trauma of hearing her scream as she got a spinal tap in the emergency room.

that aside, i just can't imagine being up for doing a lot at disney at 6 weeks post partum. i even had a great/easy recovery from both babies, but walking around all over the place at 6 weeks on little sleep? no thanks...

just my opinion, though, based on my own experiences...
saraheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraheliz View Post
i have never been one to stay inside with my babies, i was out and about with both of them by around 2 weeks old. that being said, they were both may babies and the flu threat wasn't as high.

just remember this: a fever in a baby that young earns you an automatic 3 day pass to the hospital, minimum...spinal tap, the works. they have to check for infection in a baby that young. my dd had a fever very young (not from anything contagious) and i will NEVER forget the trauma of hearing her scream as she got a spinal tap in the emergency room.

that aside, i just can't imagine being up for doing a lot at disney at 6 weeks post partum. i even had a great/easy recovery from both babies, but walking around all over the place at 6 weeks on little sleep? no thanks...

just my opinion, though, based on my own experiences...

I remember when I had my oldest dd, my ped telling me that exact scenario. He said 'IF a newborn has a fever, it means a spinal tap at the very least." He recommended that I stay away from crowded places (malls, church) for the first 8 weeks.

Pixidustmom, wow on being a surrogate. I think that is wonderful!!

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: