Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Electric Roaster Questions (thinking about getting a Nesco)

I've never posted on these threads, but I'm hoping some of you good people can help me out.

I'm seriously considering getting an electric roaster for doing my turkey this year. My challenge is oven space and I was thinking that a roaster might help me out, but I don't know much about them.

I always do an organic free-range turkey, usually about 16 lbs in my oven, which is a convection oven, so I don't know much about electric roasters.

First of all does the turkey brown in the roaster, or do I have to put it in the oven first on a high heat for a while to brown and then finish it in the roaster.

Second question, I've been thinking about an 18 quart Nesco (because that's the only one I'm familiar with) and have heard that there's a curing or burn in process for them? You can't just use them out of the box?

Any help would be most appreciated.

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Sorry no one had any advice for you.

I just always use the oven for my turkey, but agree that space can be so challenging when you're trying to do a large feast and keep everything warm.

I don't have experience with the modern electric roasters, but I remember my mom used one way back in my youth and the turkey was always delicious and golden brown, if that helps at all.

Good luck!
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhand View Post
Sorry no one had any advice for you.

I just always use the oven for my turkey, but agree that space can be so challenging when you're trying to do a large feast and keep everything warm.

I don't have experience with the modern electric roasters, but I remember my mom used one way back in my youth and the turkey was always delicious and golden brown, if that helps at all.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply.

When I didn't get any advice here, I posted on some other forums I found regarding cooking and received quite a bit of feedback, all very positive about using a countertop roaster to do the turkey.

People have said that their turkeys come out even moister, though you have to do a few things differently if crispy browning is important to that "ta-da" moment before it's taken back from the table for carving.

What I've decided to do is give it a try this year, just so I can reduce the stress and panic of yanking the turkey out of the oven, then in the 30 minutes while it's resting, trying to cram everything in the oven to reheat and get the gravy made.

The approach I'll be taking is putting my turkey in my regular oven at a hot 400 setting for the first 30 to 40 minutes to get some additional browning, during this time having the roaster preheated to 350, and then transferring it to the roaster.

What I also found out was the the insert pan from the roaster can go directly into my regular oven (it even comes with a rack and built in lift handles for the bird) so moving the roasting pan from the oven to the roaster will be really simple.

The other piece of advice I had gotten is that all brands of roasters have an initial "burn in" where they recommend you run it on a high setting (in a well ventilated area) for a few hours to burn off the electrical smell. Very simple to do, but I was glad that I got that advice, because being a person who might not read all the instructions I might have not know this.

So, tonight in fact I will be going roaster shopping at Target. Will decide if I buy at Target or order via Amazon.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

My sister always does Christmas for 12-16 people and she cooks the turkey on Christmas Eve, slices it and then puts i in the fridge. Because there are so many, she puts everything out like a buffet - by the time you pour the hot gravy on you have no idea the meat was cold earlier! (This was a tip from a celebrity chef. If you want the turkey to be hot you can put it onto baking trays with a couple of T of water, cover with foil and put in the oven for a little - the water turns to steam and heats the turkey).
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
iankh

Well I did it, I bought a Nesco Roaster and did it on line.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Good for you and thanks for all the info!

If you wouldn't mind coming back to update us after your Thanksgiving, I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

I guess after all your pricing research, purchasing online was the best deal? Do you mind sharing details? I'm thinking maybe I need one of these too!

Do you know the maximum size turkey you can roast in one of these? I usually do a giant one. However with the great tip above about precooking then slicing the turkey, refrigerating it, then warming it in the oven, maybe I could do two smaller turkeys... decisions decisions.

Thanks all!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

PS Which interior do you recommend? I know there was discussion about stainless steel vs non-stick. Which one???

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Time to think Turkey '10. I remember reading all of these posts LAST year so was happy I was able to find them again.

Looks like I will buy a roaster this year, but don't think I'll bother with the brining.

Any last minute tips?

Have any of you used the roaster throughout the year or just for turkey?

(I can almost smell them roasting.)

Thanks
Nothing I would do differently from last year. I would use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the bird. Also make sure that the temperature of your roaster is calibrated correctly.

If you see my posting from last year, the first roaster I bought (a Nesco) was off in temperature and I returned it and ended up with the Hamilton Beach, which was very reasonably priced at $39.

Whichever roaster you buy, remember that it will need a "burn in." You find this in the instruction manual. Basically, you plug it in and switch it to the highest setting and let is go for about an hour. The element gives off a smell, so you may want to do this outdoors. I set up up a table on my porch and did it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
PS Which interior do you recommend? I know there was discussion about stainless steel vs non-stick. Which one???
I went with the regular, porcelain interior. In both the Nesco and Hamilton Beach the roasting pan lifts out. The porcelain cleaned up very easily. I shied away from non-stick because I was a afraid that the roasting rack/lifter might scratch it.

My Hamilton Beach came with a rack/lifter. I can't remember if the Nesco did/does.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the quick reply. It certainly seems like the way to go. I just wish there weren't so many models and brands to choose from. I know higher price doesn't always mean higher quality.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Bumping! It's that time of year again and so much good info in this thread. I'm so glad I bought mine!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I did a turkey crown in the crockpot on Sunday and everyone loved it - and DH is not usually keen on turkey. My DSis always roasts the turkey the day before, then while she's finishing the side dishes puts slices in oven trays with a very little water, covers with foil and pops in the hot oven. The water evaporates and warms/moistens the meat - this is a catering trick, aparently. After all, the turkey is often cold by the time you've finished carving so it makes sense to do it this way! (And I am just soooooo glad she likes to do Christmas)

Having said that, while my oven was out for nearly two weeks I was seriously thinking of one of these.....
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Electric Roaster Oven recipes for large groups

I have a 22 qrt electric roaster oven. I need recipes for parties for large group 40-75 people .

I's pretty new to using it. I've used it once. Plus i have a few question like can i use the cooking bags in it? Foil?

Recipes i want are .....Please share your recipes that you've actually tried in an Electric roaster oven or any tips

I dont need any turkey recipes , i think theres already a thread on turkeys.thanks

1.Pork carnitas- I have a recipe that calls for it to be put in a cooking bag and placed in oven. Its a good recipe but can i use that cooking bag in the roaster??? If so this would be awsome as I need to make 40lbs worth-lol!

2. BBQ chicken. I found an awesome recipe for the oven on a rack but I need a recipe for bbq chicken enough for 50 people. Whats the best way

3.beef roast with potatos and carrots

4. bbq ribs for 4th of july

I have recipes for the listed items but those are for your regular oven so i get confused with the roast.

for what items should the rack be used?

example the bbq chicken. recipe reads to fry the fat ont he chicken, then place on cookie sheet with rack, brush bbq sauce then place in oven, now if i have 40-50 pieces of chicken there no way i can lay each piece on the rack in the roaster, it would have to be stacked and might not have the same effect. If i fry the chicken then put it in the roaster minus the rack will the bbq stick to the roaster and burn or bbq sauce come off because it will stick to other pieces of chciken??

carnitas. - Will the cooking bag melt or melt onto the roaster? If bags can be used do i just stick it in the roaster or do i need to put a pan in ?

sorry I'm sure some of these question might be dumb to some but i dont want to mess up my roaster or mess up the food for such a large crowd. Thanks everyone
Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been thinking about getting one ever since they came out on the isles at Walmart. Would love to get a Nesco but don't think thats in the cards. Thanks to all who posted in previous years. Since this thread seems to pop up anually thought I would pop it up the board this year

Happy Thanksgiving!

tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: