Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Why can't I get a decent photo on that blasted Peter Pan ride?

This is my first attempt at writing a Trip Report. I'll admit that writing is typically not my thing. I would usually be an easier sell to get me to walk through that infernal Swiss Family Tree house again than to get me to sit down to write about my experiences. I have a couple of motivating factors though to push me forward. First, I love photography and I enjoy sharing pictures and I am primarily using this Trip Report as a vehicle to share my photos. Second, I sadly still can't let go and I am looking for a way to continue to re-live our happier times. I desperately need some mental escapes from the daily grind. Before the trip, there was borderline obsessive planning to be done and during that planning I could escape from the real world by envisioning our perfect trip. Of course in this utopian world there are no over stimulated and exhausted kids, no bad weather, only nice and polite people, no unpleasant public transportation issues, etc. Then comes the actual trip which of course has its own reality with plenty of drama but no matter what it beats our non-Disney existence waiting to swallow us up when we return. After we got back I was able to keep the experience going by weeding though my gazillion photos but I finished that up and thought what next? Most sane people would probably move on but I am hoping to fill a void by writing this Trip Report. So, here we go.

This TR is the chronicles of an exhausting but fantastic 12 night stay here

Our trip spanned from the end of Aug though Labor Day. This is our family's 4th trip to WDW. We had never been to Pop before but I had read so many good things that I was intrigued. On our last WDW vacation in 2007 we stayed at a DVC resort (SSR) so we know this will be lacking in many of the amenities that we experienced last trip. We will definitely miss the extra space, kitchen, whirlpool bath, etc. We usually don’t spend too much time in the room though and there is a lot to be said about the magic and all-encompassing Disney experience of the value resorts with their larger than life icons and the high overall energy. Our first on site stay was at AS Movies in 2003 and in our children’s eyes this was nirvana. What is better when you are a kid than having a Giant Herbie the Love bug to greet you each morning and night or a 35 ft Buzz and Woody to spark your imagination. As a photographer I am also excited to get out and capture some of the magic. Here are some of the reasons I was excited to stay here.

It seems that in order to follow proper protocol, I need to provide some info on the players in our story.

Me – Dad - Age 44. I am the Project Manager of the trip. I am actually a PM in “real life” and Disney does a wonderful job at fulfilling my need to create detailed plans. Where else do you get excited about getting up at the crack of dawn to book meals months in advance or wait with baited breath for park hours to be finally released as you constantly check day after day when the calendar turns to that critical month. It is pure insanity but at the same time wonderful (well for people with my affliction that is). I am also the staff photographer for our trips. I usually lug around about 20 pounds of camera equipment on our daily adventures. Here is a picture of what I carry around to give you an idea of my mental instability to willingly tote this equipment through the sweltering August heat in WDW.

I love photography but still have a heck of a lot to learn. I would like to have more time to devote to this art but I am slowly improving over time. Through brute force and a little bit of skill I was able to get a lot of good pictures that I plan like to share. On this trip I took over 6000 pictures. Yes, the strategy to take a whole lot of pictures and hope something turns out is key in my playbook. I did not good results everywhere though, hence the title of my TR. I know I should be able to get some passable shots on Peter Pan but I was a wretched failure. The "dark rides" were definitely a challenge for me. I have a great camera for this but my most suited lens is adequate but not the best. I did have some limited success in other rides and one particular coup for me was on my last day on HM where I was able to snag some pictures of the ballroom scene that are not a complete blur. This may not look like much to some of you but it was an achievement for me.

For the rest of my family we have:
My Wife – Age 44. She is my outgoing partner. She gets energy from others and is the type of person that will make friends with anyone. She will strike up conversations with people in line and I will stand there wondering how she can talk for so long to someone she never met before. She has a laugh that is instantly recognizable and makes you smile when you hear it. She is a great parent to our children and I would truly be lost without her.

Son – Age 11. Takes after his mom in that he gets along with almost everyone. He is getting a bit more reserved though as he is getting older. He does take after me in that he is a very sensitive child. You’ll see more of that in the TR. Overall he is truly a very good boy but he does have his “brotherly moments” with his sister that can drive you up the wall. He is also quite handsome and fortunately for him, he does not take after me in that regard.

Daughter – Age 9. She is more independent than my son even though she is 2.5 yrs younger. She prefers people over possessions and usually does not ask for much. When she does have her mind set on something though she is strong willed. She is adorable and has a spark in eyes that is true magic.

In addition we have my SIL (my wife’s sister), her husband, my 10 yo niece and my 7 yo nephew joining us for most of the trip and then (if you can follow this) my SIL’s SIL and her husband join us for a few days towards the tail end of the trip. You will hear more about our group as we go on.

Since this was our 4th family trip and we have seen a lot in past trips I wanted to arrange a lot of new experiences for this go around. Some of the events that I was excited about planning since we had never experienced them before were: a Grand Gathering Safari Diner at AK, a Wishes Cruise, MNSSHP, Hoop De Doo Review as well as our first venture to a Disney Water Park. In addition, I planned to hit previously unexplored areas of the parks. We had 10 day tickets so I thought we would have a lot more time to explore than what we have had on previous trips. I also planned out some great meals. In addition to the Safari Dinner and HDDR we planned our first experiences at Le Cellier, Ohana, Narcossees, Le Chefs, 1900 PF. We did make sure to hit some of our old standbys as well like Chef Mickeys and Crystal Palace.

Ok, that is enough for now. Hopefully I can keep you interested to read on.

Last edited by clearskies; 10-17-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

Wow!!! Amazing photos! I will definitely be reading and look forward to more!

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Thank you Missus Toad and Welcome!! Thank you for being my first Post!!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – Thurs 8/27 - Are we hopping?

We arrived the day before but we did not check in until very late. I debated on whether I would go into the gory details of our arrival day but I decided to spare you from the pain. I’ll just say that it involved a mountain of stress involving unfinished work for my job, a traffic jam on the way to the airport and a late scenic tour of probably every road on the Disney complex due to the fact that neither my GPS nor the GPS software on my iPhone was able to locate the Pop Century address. Seeing how we did not check in until after midnight and I had to log in and work until about 1:30 AM after getting the kids down to bed, I decided we were not going to rush to get anywhere in the morning.

My body is quite accustomed to lack of sleep though and was not having any part of the plan to sleep in and thus decided that it was going to get me up early anyway. So, I gave up the valiant fight for sleep and got up at around 6:30AM. Fortunately the stress bubbling up from the night before had dissipated and I was ready to start our vacation. Since I still was not going to get up the rest of the family I decided that a tour of the grounds was in order. I dug out my camera and left my slumbering family behind to explore Pop. As soon as I got outside I was instantly reminded of the oppressive humidity to be experienced in August in Disney and its effects on cameras that have been refridgerated in the AC of our Room. My camera lens instantly fogged up. In our prev stay at SSR we had a balcony and when I got up I would put my camera outside for a while to acclimate to the weather. That’s not going to happen this trip. So I acknowledge that photos in the early hours is unlikely. I walked around a bit and enjoyed the themeing of the buildings and then walked across the Generation Gap bridge to get the view from the other side. My camera was still not ready to get to work so I passed some time talking to someone that was fishing on the other side. Eventually the lens cleared. I was hoping for a more spectacular morning sky but sometimes you have to take what you are given.

I realized that I left my cell phone in the room and decided to make my way back to the room to see if anyone was up. On the way I took a couple more pictures. Here is one of the themed stairways. We were the 50s building with the bowling pin stairs.

I got back and the family was still sleeping. I took a shower and when I was done my wife was up. It’s about 8:30 now and she says let’s wake up the kids. I was going to let them sleep some more but I was itching to get moving myself so I sang them some songs to wake them up. This is something I do every school day to get them up. I don’t pretend that I can sing, in fact I am horrible. What better motivation is there to get up and moving than to avoid further serenades by me. Now that the kids are up and getting ready I take a pic of the view from our room while waiting for them.

I had asked for a room facing the lake so it would be quieter. We were also in one of the areas where you could supposedly some of the EPCOT fireworks in a distance. As it turns out this was lost on us since we were never actually around to see them.

We were still not going to rush to a Park this morning and we decided to use some meal credits for breakfast so we headed to Everything Pop.

First thing we needed was refillable mugs. It pained me to pay $2.75 for a vending machine coke zero the night before while working. I had my wife grab 4 mugs and gave her money to pay for them while I got food. The breakfast food seemed pretty much the same as the food in other resorts we had stayed at. Nothing special but it is ok. The apple turnovers were a hit for my kids though. After eating our park du jour was EPCOT. We had a lunch date with a rodent. Not the big one though. We got to the bus stop a little after 10.

We got to EPCOT fairly quickly and made our way past security who asked me if I worked for CNN after checking my bag. I had no plans for this day other than lunch so I went with the popular choice and we decided to go to Soarin first. On the way though we saw Daisy near what my kids call the big golf ball. Oh, we have never seen her before so the Kids needed to meet her acquaintance. My gosh that is one popular water fowl. The line did not seem that long but it crawled. I eventually went off to get FP for Soarin while they were waiting. When I got back they had moved a few more inches. I then left the park, played a round of golf, took a shower, grabbed a bite and then returned to the park and they were almost there. Finally we made it to Daisy. We fulfilled our need to get the kids pic and autograph.

Stitch was right near by but not getting much love so we said hello to him as well.

We picked up our first photopass card in the process. Since I had prepaid for the CD I planned to use Photopass a lot. One tip if you plan to keep your photos is to take a picture of the card once you get it. Then if you lose the card you will still have the numbers. Yes, I erased some of the numbers off this picture.

We were now on our way to hit some attractions. We got waylaid on our way by seeing the Kim Possible sign-up in Innoventions. We decided to do our part to help humanity by signing up for a special mission. We had never done this before and figured why not give it a shot. The CM set us up and we needed to report to Italy in about an hour and a half. Oh, but we need to be at France for lunch. Fortunately the whole world is rampant with issues and is in need of help so we were rerouted to a mission in France instead.

Our Soarin FPs were not due and we had some time before our mission so we headed to the Seas.

We hit the Nemo ride first. This is one of those dark rides that can be frustrating to take pictures on and I was not really prepared for it. I should have changed to a different lens more suited for it but I am not that intelligent so here is the best I have from the ride.

Next was one of our favorites

This is far more entertaining than the Nemo Ride. It is one of the few park attractions where you get a different experience each time. The dude who improvises is awesome and the kids have a blast and the Adults get a laugh as well. Once we were done it was time to head over to the International Gateway for our mission. First a couple more pics on the way out.

I do love these guys.

Not sure why but I wanted a pic of this one.

We made it to the KP booth by the International gateway and received our mission. We were off to ruin the evil plans of some wrongdoer whose name I can’t recall but let me tell you he was one very bad person trying to control our minds. Not on our watch though. The mission has the kids going different places and pressing buttons on this phone they give you. I take some pictures along the way.

In the theater in France we decided to that we don’t necessarily need to vanquish our evildoer right away so we stay to watch the movie. My kids are reluctant to put our mission on hold but spies are allowed breaks too. After the movie we finish up the mission and save all of you from a terrible demise. Feel free to thank me if you want. It is getting close now for lunch so I tell my wife to relax with the kids by the fountain while I go and return the phone. I return the phone and they tell me to thank the kids for saving the world. That was nice but shouldn’t we get a presidential commendation or a medal or something? Being an international super spy is not very rewarding. I decide to take that off the career choice list for my kids.

Last edited by clearskies; 10-17-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – Thurs 8/27 - Are we hopping? (part2)

I get back to France and there is no family to be found. I look, I call but nothing. I figure she had to take the kids to the bathroom or something. It is not uncommon for them to disappear on me. They do like to keep me guessing. Eventually my wife emerges from the restaurant. She checked in and they seated us early. Oh, okay, mystery solved.

We are really here for one reason. The little chef is here for about one week more until he departs Orlando to visit Tokyo. I wanted a chance to see the little guy before he heads off. Soon after we were seated he was making his way into our area. We got to see him before we even ordered.

The handler was a little put off that I was only taking pics of the rat so I had to placate him by taking some pics with him in it as well.

The interaction was brief but it was pretty cool to see the magic in action. The rest of the meal was not that remarkable. The food was ok but nothing special. I had the short ribs was decent but I’ve had much better. The rest of the family’s food was just ok as well. The waiter was very nice though. Later in the meal Remy did make his way back into our area but they seem to remember who they have seen already so we did not get him to our table again. I did switch to a longer lens and took pics from a distance.

During lunch we had a decision to make. I had bought 10 day base tickets without the park Hopper. I figured that with 10 days we would have enough time to see everything without the need to hop around. This may have worked if not for the fact that the dang Fantasmic is now only showing twice a week and we have plans on the the other nights that it was showing. Based on our plans today was really the only feasible night to see Fantasmic if we wanted to. This twice a week Fantasmic change is horrible. My wife says it is not worth it. I do not think that Fantasmic alone is worth $200+ but if we do get PH tickets I rationalize that we'll definitely use it on other days and it will give me opportunities to hit late EMH nights on parks that we do not intend to go to during the day. So we decided (ok I decided and my wife caved in) to go for it and on the way out I would upgrade.

We got out of Le Chefs and saw these “street performers” entertaining the crowd.

They were good for what they are but we had seen this stuff before so we eventually moved on our way. We are so jaded sometimes. We decided to head out of the world showcase and catch the rest of the world on other days. On the way out we saw this young lady in England. This was another first encounter for us so we lined up for a personal greeting.

Next, I wanted to see what this Disney Visa card picture thing was all about. I knew it was in Innoventions but was not sure where so we headed to the Innoventions building where the characters were. Belle was standing outside the main area and there was no crowd to see her so we stopped to talk.

I asked the CM there where to find the Disney Visa picture spot and she directed us across the way. We got on a fairly short line. It is apparently a secret on who is there so we had to wait until we got in to find out who was there. Here is who we saw.

I have seen pictures with others so they must change it up. While we were there we decided to test our safety prowess by going through the Where’s the Fire exhibit. This was another first for us. My daughter and I went on one team and my wife and son on the other. I wouldn’t say this is a must do but we had a good time (especially since my team won). Sorry, I don't have any pics to show on this. Next we are headed the Land to finally use our Soarin FPs.

This is our first time trying to use Fast Passes after our return time. One of the many things I learned on this board is that it is usually not critical to get back inside your window. I still was a little worried we might get turned away but it worked fine. We were in the second row in our flying excursion over California. Next time we decided we will wait a little longer for a front row seat. The feet dangling in front are a bit distracting.

Spaceship earth is next. We had not been there since renovations.

We enjoyed the new ending. We all had a good laugh at the screens on the descent.

It’s about quarter to 5 now and we are ready to head out. We will be back another day to see more. I first stop at guest svcs to upgrade our tickets. I find out that if we do upgrade we will get paper tickets and not the tickets on the room keys. I am getting forgetful in my old age but I thought last trip we upgraded tickets at a park with no problem. OK, we can deal, we will go back to Pop and upgrade the tickets there.

Last edited by clearskies; 10-17-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – Thurs 8/27 - Are we hopping? (part 3)

We get back to Pop and I upgrade our tickets so we can Hop around the World. We then Headed to our room and see that my SIL’s family is fortunately put in the room right next to us. The kids go and join them at the pool for a bit and then after cooling off we head over to Disney Studios.

By the time we get to DS and make our way over to Sunset Blvd the line for Fantasmic is already huge for the 8:30 show and we are there an hour early. We still need some food too. Our strategy is to grab some food to go, get on line and eat in the theater, My wife gets on line at the Turkey Leg place and I get on line at the Rosie's All American Cafe for some burgers. Just my luck, the person managing the register is having some real issues with a transaction and the line is not moving at all. My wife eventually comes by, The kids started to sit and eat but I am still no where close to ordering. The CM has brought a manager over now. Eventually I abandoned ship and decided another Turkey Leg is the best option since there is only one person in line there. While I am waiting, my wife hears an announcement that it is Standing Room Only for Fantasmic. No thank you. Time to re-plan. We decide we will wait for the 10PM show. So we take our time now to eat.

After eating we have some time to kill. We decide to head over to Toy Story Mania for hoots to check out the wait. It is around 8PM at this time and the wait is 2 hours! Holy Crow. So much for Fantasmic driving the crowd away from the rest of the park. We wander around and find ourselves outside of One Man’s Dream. Why not, we have time to kill and have never been there.

This is another diversion I would not rate as a "must do" but I am not disappointed that we ventured in. The film at the end was a very good tribute to Walt. After this, we wander a bit. It is about 8:30 and it has started to rain lightly. I decide I want a picture of the Big Hat before we head over to line up.

We line up probably earlier than we need to for the 10 PM show but we have nothing else that we are compelled to do at this point. I take a pics of TOT while waiting in line.

While waiting I decide to get some ice cream for the kids. Again I have a knack for picking just the right line for someone who wants to go on a diet. This line for frozen treats has stalled. Eventually I see the line of people for Fantasmic moving so I abandon the quest for ice cream for the kids and try to find the family in the hoard of people moving. I do eventually catch up and we then go into a series of move the crowd a little then stand and wait a long time then move then wait etc. Why we start and stop moving is a complete mystery to me but we are just following everyone else like a herd of cattle. The 8:30 show ends at about 9PM. Ok good, the kids are getting tired and we just need to wait a little bit more for the crowd to depart and we can soon get off our feet. Not quite. It took about 40 min until we actually got into the theater. We did end up getting very good seats not in the very center section but one section over and only a few rows back. Unfortunately It’s raining a little harder at this point and I am praying to the weather gods that that after all this they don’t cancel the show. The rain is not a hard rain but it is not letting up. Thankfully the show does go on. Though I tried to keep my camera covered for most of the show I did take it out for pics periodically.

We had seen Fant before and if you would ask me I would probably have ranked it 3rd out of the 3 night shows. Strangely enough though sitting in the rain this night watching this show I gained a new appreciation of Fantasmic. It is truly spectacular. Go figure, now that it is a terrible ordeal to see the dang show I enjoy it more. I hope that the next time we are back they see the error in their ways and move back to more nights per week. I am probably overly optimistic on that though.

Leaving the park was incredible and almost surreal. We start heading to our bus stop and there is a looooong line of people backed up before you even get to the section where the bus stops are. I get this bad feeling as we are walking and we eventually ask someone in line where they are going. Of course it is Pop. We turn around and do the walk of horror as we proceed to the end of the line. I think we were in EPCOT by the time we got there. I have never been on such a long bus line. It was so bad that it was somewhat comical. Especially seeing the faces of other unsuspecting rubes like us when they realized that this was their line. At some point after we are numb from the rain steadily beating down on us we actually got on a bus.

Last edited by clearskies; 10-17-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Lizziejane
Funny how everyone is different
Then pack twice the cash, and you're good to go!

loving your report, and your pics! drooling here over those purrrrdy white lenses...
January, 2010 - BWV
January, 2014 - BWV - first trip for our DGD who will be 2!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Missus Toad,
Thank you. The photo of the boat headed to the GF with the yellow flag and the picture of the beach with the Poly in the background are 2 of my favorites.

I was a little concerned about my nephew at first but I saw him smiling so it was all good.

Lizziejean and vettegirl,
Thank you so much for your comments and joining in!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 3 – Sat 8/29 - Rope Drop Til We Drop (part 1)

We are not a Rope drop family. We may aspire to be a rope drop family (ok perhaps I aspire not we) but we can't seem to get up and going quite early enough to be there before opening. Just once I wanted to see what this phenomenon was all about. Today was the day. Today we join this special breed of individuals. We will attempt to join the elite class of rope drop members. I was not quite sure we were going to be allowed in the club but we were going to try. I picked this day because it was a Saturday at Magic Kingdom and a Spectro Day so I figured the crowds could be a little higher. We were going to get that extra edge that others in our newly joined club experienced as they laugh at the people in their long lines later in the day. Little did we know that we were also going to be tired and cranky by the late afternoon but I am getting ahead of ourselves.

I got the family up early. There would be no breakfast at the food court today. The kids would eat in the room some cereal and milk and some fruit I bought the day before. I kept the milk in a cooler bag with ice in case you were wondering. Through some minor miracle we were somehow leaving the room at about 8AM. We were actually on the move earlier than I ever imagined. Shortly after 8AM we were walking out the doors of the Pop lobby to the bus stops and we saw a bus already sitting at the stop. Our good fortune was starting already. We turned up an extra gear and sprinted to the bus. We walked on and I had to do a double take. The bus was packed and we barely fit. Who the heck are all these people? This is insane. Don't they realize how early it is?

When we got to the park we made it past the security checks and ticketing area I went to go get a locker for my tripod while the rest of the family lined up. The crowd was actually not actually that large. Where did everyone on the bus go? There had to be busloads of people from other resorts as well. It occurred to me that they were probably getting in early for breakfast reservations. Boy that seemed like a lot of people that must have had breakfast reservations. While we were waiting for the opening, I took a couple of pics but I noticed something bizarre in the sky today. It had a strange color that I was not familiar with so far this trip. The sky was actually blue instead of the gray cloudy skies we were getting accustomed to.

While waiting for the ceremony to start I struck up a conversation with the Photopass photographer who was waiting to capture the event. What a great job to have and she truly seemed to enjoy working there. We watched the ceremony and the lucky family that opened the park.

Though the ceremony was nice it certainly did not instill in me the desire to get up early in the future just to see this. It is really the empty park that is the draw. This ceremony is just an added perk to entertain us before we get to business. We joined the flow of people streaming in and I am pleased to say that we did not experience the mad rush of people that I was half dreading. No pushing, shoving or fear of trampling like the day after Thanksgiving at Walmart on this day. We were not rushing to be one of the first out of the starting gate either though. Perhaps at the head of the field there is more action going on. Once we got in, we were not going to stop for pictures. We rope drop people have an agenda and it doesn't involve stopping for pictures. It's in the charter of our club that we don't attend to such foolishness when you can get a picture any time of the day. I told the family to head over to Dumbo and I would catch up after I got Fast Passes for Splash. I can walk a lot quicker than they do. Along the way I saw Frontier Donald all alone. Fellow members of the club will have to excuse me. I had to stop for a few seconds and take a picture of him. He needed some love.

I got our FPs and made my way over and joined my family just as they were getting on line for Dumbo.

After Dumbo, we had to hit Peter Pan while the line was still small. Little did I realize this was soon to be my nemesis. I was truly not ready for what was awaiting me. It is very dark and you are moving quickly so you need a fast shutter speed to get a decent photo. I foolishly thought I would try my zoom lens on the ride. Bad idea. After a nice collection of blurry pictures the ride spit me out at the end laughing at me and told me to come back when I know what I am doing. I realize I will have to improve my game the next time I attempt this. I'll be back again later in the week and I'll be ready for it with a more suitable lens and then we'll see who's laughing (or perhaps crying).

I was ready for some Pooh next (the ride that is, not, well never mind) but my wife asked to ride Snow White first. Um, you sure, well ok if you really want to we can. Could you tell that Snow white is not a ride that excites me? There was not much of a line so I succumbed. After this we made our way over to see the Silly Old Bear in the Hundred Acre Woods.

After we get our Pooh out of the way I checked my watch and it was about 9:45. Ugh, my daughter is going to want be part of this mad craze to see the fairies and the extra time at Snow White threw us off. We better hightail it over to Toontown pronto. As we are walking over, we can see that they already started to let people in. That is bad news we are going to be in for a wait. We got on the line and the CM told us it would be about an hour. Tell me it's not so, an hour of my precious non-crowded park time! The line is not going to get any better later in the day so we settle in. As it turns out it took only about 45 minutes before we were being shrunken down to a tiny size to see the fairies. The process was quite painless I assure you. The CM who let us in told us who we were seeing. The only fairy I know is Tinkerbell. She said the names of the others but it went in one ear and out the other. They were all very nice though and they interacted well with the kids and had great smiles. The CMs there were good about taking pictures with my camera of the entire family as well. Overall, I think it was almost worth the wait but hopefully it is an item we can scratch off the list and not need on future trips unless the hysteria dies down around this.

Here is who we saw

After we were done I asked the CM if we could keep the kids small. They would be much easier to bring around the park if they were fairy size and we could get an extra ride on FP attractions since they could ride in our pockets. Alas, the CM said we all had to go back to our rightful size. Again it was remarkably painless.

Since we were in the area we took a quick tour of Minnie and Mickey’s digs. I love the attention to detail in these houses.

I love the book titles

After getting out we saw the train at the station and hightailed it over and got on. We rode it around to Frontierland to get to the best ride in the Park...

Last edited by clearskies; 10-17-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Missus Toad

Hilarious update-- love the rope drop narration! I also got acquainted with the time vampire that is the fairy meet and greet the last time we made rope drop.

I never noticed what the lettering on the train station window said-- thanks for the closeup! The pics of the clock were cool. Also loved the detail shots in Toontown. The keys and the checker board were especially nice.

Can't wait to see what comes of your second go at Peter Pan! I can almost hear Hook in your "voice" as you vow comeuppance for the ride.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Thank you again Missus Toad,

Quote:
I also got acquainted with the time vampire that is the fairy meet and greet the last time we made rope drop.
LOL "time vampire" I love that description. What an apt description.

Oh that Peter Pan ride is evil incarnate.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 AM   #12
Jessie888
Earning My Ears

Old 10-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Sun 8/30 - Less that 5 minutes??? (part 5)

When we got back to our room we had this little creature waiting for us. I am not quite sure what was. Perhaps a butterfly? My kids wanted me to take a picture so I obliged.

Our housekeepers were good about leaving us things most days. Note that the fact that I am pretty sure that the fact that I left a decent tip each day had something to do with this while my SIL next door did not tip as much and were not getting the creatures left in their room.

Sadly, I had to actually log into work to get something done for my job after getting back but I had absolutely zero motivation to do it at this point. I am sure many of you already think I am crazy for working on my vacation but it was a necessary evil. Since I am a champ at procrastinating I decided that while the rest of the family got ready for bed I would head off for more photo ops. I wanted to make my way over to the Magic Kingdom which was having PM EMH. Since it was just me I was able to avoid the Disney busses and drive over. I wasn’t going to actually get on any of the rides though. I am not really comfortable getting on rides by myself. Just one of my many idiosyncrasies. I somewhat got over this later in the trip though. For this night, I just wanted to wander around and enjoy the night atmosphere. I had a good time walking through the park and soaking it all in. I did stop and help a few people with their own photos along the way. I even lent my tripod to someone and provided some tips. Here are some of my pictures:

I like these 2 very different pictures of the carousel.

Missus Toad, this is the teacup picture I like better than the previous one.

I stayed until a little after 12:30AM and then made my way back. I had to face the music when I got back and get my work done. I logged in and worked for about and hour but then started to get too tired. I think I procrastinated too much this time. I had until 9AM to send something out though so I figured I would get about 4 1/2 hours of sleep and then get up early and finish up. Yes I acknowledge that I am in need of professional help.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
Missus Toad

OMG-- gorgeous!!! I wouldn't know where to begin to pick a top 3. Seriously. That teacups shot is amazing though, as are the carrousel shots. Those are some real beauties you have in this set. Truly magical. Where are you when I'm wandering around at night trying to get a decent picture? It's times like that I'd love some advice!

P.S. - I think it's a batbunny.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
Red Rover Cuties
I can be a HOT MESS from time to time!!!

so in love with this thread!!! really begining to get excite about our upcoming trip, hope to get a few good pictures!!!

veronica

DH ME: DS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: