Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

Question Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining *Updated 6.21.10

New tipping thread policy

Time for a fresh start to the tipping thread. Same rules, same info, just a new start

Tipping threads here on the Restaurant Boards have consistently turned into debate threads with lots of arguments. They all tend to get closed in the end once they cross the line.

The Restaurant Board mods are willing to create one thread where tipping questions can be asked and answered. HOWEVER, this is NOT the debate board.

Here are the basic guidelines
1. No fighting, name calling or debate on people's personal tipping habits. This includes but not limited to:
• I will not tip my server more than I tithe the Lord
• I will not give a server more than I make an hour
• Everyone knows servers make 100k a year, why should I tip them
• Servers should be paid a living wage and not have to depend on tips to support themselves. hence tipping should be abolished.
2. No flaming anyone for any reason.

3. Any post deemed off topic or in anyway against the posting guidelines will be deleted without comment and the poster will receive an infraction.

4. Any other thread started on the restaurant board for the "tipping" topic will be closed with a note to see this thread (This includes DDP board).

5. No personal tipping habits are to be discussed. Generally speaking, what you tip at Disney is entirely up to you. To figure out what your meal will run, check out the menus here on the DIS. This will give you an idea of the meal cost. Disney does provide 18% and 20% calculations on the dining receipt. What you actually tip, is up to you with the exceptions below.

The exceptions to this are those using the Tables in Wonderland (TiW) Discount Card and parties of 6 or more. If you are in either one of these categories, you will have an auto gratuity of 18% added to your bill. Adjustments to this would need to be discussed with a manager.

Parties of 6 include everyone at the table, including children under 3 and infants. If you are dining with another group and paying separate, you are still subject to the 18% gratuity added to the bill. Each group at the table can get their own bill with their portion of the gratuity split out.

Please note – Disney does not differentiate between types of Table Service – buffets, all you care to eat and menu ordering locations are all treated equal and subject to the same guidelines by Disney.

There is always concern expressed about a set gratuity and service. Your option is to talk to the manager at the time of the incident. The only adjustment possible is done by the restaurant manager. Better to speak to the manager early on and receive improved service than to complain at the end to request redeuced gratuity

6. You may pay the gratuity in many different forms. You may use:
• Disney Dollars
• Disney Visa (or any credit card)
• Disney gift cards and Disney Reward cards
• Disney room charge (KTTW card)
• Cash (Just write cash on the tip line and leave the $$ in the folder)

7. The gratuity is included (on DDP and OOP) in the dinner shows Hoop Dee Doo Review, Spirit of Aloha and at Cinderella’s Royal Table. You can always leave additional.
(For Dining Plan guests it is also included for Private In-Room Dining and Pizza Delivery when using Dining Plan Credits to pay for your meals)

8. No tip is accepted at the Wishes dessert parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
I asked 3 different people in April (2010), including the head person and was told that tipping was not allowed. I really wanted to, but I went by their word.
Please abide by these guidelines - and everyone can get the info they need for planning their magical Disney vacations.

If this does not work, we will ban this topic from the restaurant boards. Any new posts started will be closed

Thank you and we appreciate your cooperation,
The Restaurant Board Mods

Last edited by TDC Nala; 12-12-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added Link - Removed (insert link here) note
Pumbaa_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I would like to add two comments.

One is that if you are dining at Victoria and Albert's either with TiW or a group of six or more the automatic gratuity is 20% and not 18%.

The other is that there is no prohibition against adding an additional amount to the automatic gratuity.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
dalt01
DIS Veteran

thank you, you answered two questions for me.... our sixth member in june was a baby and we were charged the 18% at buffets. i dont agree with either but it certainly didnt break the bank and was not worth ticking someone off about.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Carlissa's Mommy
Earning My Ears

Info about tipping

I'm not really sure if this is the place to ask this or not, but I am trying to be Ms. Organization and put all of our tips in their respective envelopes (with a 2 year old, the less I have to do at the table, the better!). But anyway, we are a party of 9 (including my 2 year old), so I know we will atleast need to pay the 18% - and we will have 3 seperate checks. I think I read that she gets a free kids drink, but will eat off our plate. So, when I do my figuring, do I add in her drink amount, our entree and drink amount, and our desert amount (we have free dining)? Also, how much is tax, because I add tax in before I figure out the 18% gratuity right?

I hope this isn't confusing and if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it or let me know and I will. Thanks!
Carlissa's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlissa's Mommy View Post
I'm not really sure if this is the place to ask this or not, but I am trying to be Ms. Organization and put all of our tips in their respective envelopes (with a 2 year old, the less I have to do at the table, the better!). But anyway, we are a party of 9 (including my 2 year old), so I know we will atleast need to pay the 18% - and we will have 3 seperate checks. I think I read that she gets a free kids drink, but will eat off our plate. So, when I do my figuring, do I add in her drink amount, our entree and drink amount, and our desert amount (we have free dining)? Also, how much is tax, because I add tax in before I figure out the 18% gratuity right?

I hope this isn't confusing and if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it or let me know and I will. Thanks!
You tip on the amount before taxes.

If you want to put the money for tips in envelopes, please make sure to take it out of the envelope before giving it to the server. They handle a lot of pieces of paper throughout the night and there is a good chance that it will get thrown away.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
momandseandodisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
You tip on the amount before taxes.

If you want to put the money for tips in envelopes, please make sure to take it out of the envelope before giving it to the server. They handle a lot of pieces of paper throughout the night and there is a good chance that it will get thrown away.
Good idea to take it to of the env. I never did the last time I will now for sure

momandseandodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

I was always wondering the same thing about tipping at WPE, I am a server but this place confuses me..It says QS but they do bring your food but you get your own drinks..Soooo are you suppose to tip something? You would think I of anyone would know but some places have my stumped...

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3kids View Post
I was always wondering the same thing about tipping at WPE, I am a server but this place confuses me..It says QS but they do bring your food but you get your own drinks..Soooo are you suppose to tip something? You would think I of anyone would know but some places have my stumped...
You should tip, but you can probably tip a bit less than you normally would if you want.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
dalt01
DIS Veteran

Quote:

i must have missed something, 18% of what? how do you know what your bill will be before you get there? also, even though 3 cks, or three dining plans, you will still get the tip added to the ck.

Last edited by dalt01; 10-12-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
dalt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
larryb241
WDW visitor since...well, a long time

How and what should a somalier be tipped?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Derryni
Earning My Ears

Separate checks?

Quote:

Tip is done before tax.

Last edited by Derryni; 03-13-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Derryni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
Capncrunch_11
Earning My Ears

Disney Dining Plan Tipping - Require Definative Answer

I have read several posts about tipping when using the Disney Dining Plan and I read several different answers. Please help me out here with a definate answer, I would gratefully appreciate it.

Let's say I'm dining at Biergarten for dinner. I plan on using my table service credits for that meal and I would like to charge the tip back to my room. When finished eating, what exactly is the course of actions I should take with my server to ensure that everything goes well?
I have heard rumors of servers double tipping and that I should cross off the tip amount?

Thank you very much for your time. I cannot wait to start using the dining plan and trying out new foods I wouldn't normally try!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
Hazzard101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncrunch_11 View Post
I have read several posts about tipping when using the Disney Dining Plan and I read several different answers. Please help me out here with a definate answer, I would gratefully appreciate it.

Let's say I'm dining at Biergarten for dinner. I plan on using my table service credits for that meal and I would like to charge the tip back to my room. When finished eating, what exactly is the course of actions I should take with my server to ensure that everything goes well?
I have heard rumors of servers double tipping and that I should cross off the tip amount?

Thank you very much for your time. I cannot wait to start using the dining plan and trying out new foods I wouldn't normally try!
I just got back last week and was on the dining plan. When they bring you the bill,unless you are a party of 8 or more I believe, they will bring you a bill for the total of your meal and there is a spot on the check that gives you a recommended tip amount ( if I am not mistaken it shows 18% and 20%) this is just a suggestion. there is then a spot for you to writ in the tip amount. They will take the check back after you put your room card in the sleeve and fill out the tip amount. They will bring you the final copies of your receipt one for the room charge and one for the tip amount. You sign both of them and look over them to make sure all charges are correct. If you have any doubt about weather a tip has been added, check the original receipt for added grituity. It is really easy and if you ever have any questions you can always ask the server they are very understanding about the confusion behind understanding the charges on the dinning plan. Don't fret, I have never been double charged for my tip. if it happens I would assume it was an oversight by not reading the check closely. Have a great trip and enjoy.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #14
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Are the servers at WPE and Pepper Market allowed accept tips? I tried to tip a REALLY helpful CM at Sunshine Seasons who helped DD when someone knocked her over and she dropped her salad. The CM said they were not allowed to accept tips. I just dont want to embarrass anyone so thought it may be a good idea to check first. Usually you don't have that consideration at a CS, with the exception of the few.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #15
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Employees at WPE are allowed to accept tips. Pepper Market adds a 10% gratuity to your bill, you are allowed to leave more if you choose.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: