Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Catkramer
Mouseketeer

Trip to Disneyland and lots of questions

New here to the Disneyland board. We are huge Disney fans, and usually go to DisneyWorld. However, with the change in the economy, we are looking to cut back from the 3,000.00 vacations to hopefully spending only a few hundred.

I have TONS of questions, as we haven't been to Disneyland in almost 4 years.

My husband works for an airline, so we will be flying for free. He also has hotel points, so we are hoping to stay at a Hilton or Marriott close to Disney. We are checking to see if one of these hotels will have free transportation both to/from the airport and to/from Disneyland. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It looks like we are going to try and fly into Orange County. (We have always stayed on property, so this will be the first time we have ever stayed off property)

Another thing, we are only wanting to go for one day in each park. So we don't need Park Hoppers, etc. We will be going with another family, who happens to be a retired military family. They said they should be able to get a military discount on the tickets, so we are looking into that, but I haven't found any information on that. Any information would be appreciated.

In addition, my son has Autism. The family we are going with, their son also has Autism. They are in the same Special Needs Kindergarten class. And as families, we just hit it off and thought it would be great to bring our boys to Disneyland together. It will be their son's first time, and well, my son hasn't been to the Land since he was 2.

When we go to Disneyworld, we are able to get the Disability Pass for him at the front of the Park. We have never had a problem with getting one, and it has helped so much. Is Disneyland any different when it comes to this pass?

Also, I know that they have the "Get in on your birthday free" promotion. Are they planning on keeping that in 2010 and my son is a February birthday and we were hoping to go on his birthday. Do we need to bring anything showing that it is his birthday?

I know the dining plans work differently and the payment plans are different (between the two parks), so it is hard for me to know what to expect from Disneyland since we haven't been there in a while.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Catkramer; 09-26-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Catkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
rmonty02
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkramer View Post
I have TONS of questions, as we haven't been to Disneyland in almost 4 years.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
-One of the Military Discounts is running through 9/30/09. Go to mousesavers.com for info on many current discounts. http://www.disboards.com/newreply.ph...ply&p=33725617

-The Free Birthday is set to end 12/31/09, according to the Disney web site.

-The Dining Plans at WDW & DL are different from what I've read.
"Pre-Paid Dining Plan: Disneyland offers a pre-paid dining plan, which you can buy with any vacation package. However, this plan definitely won't save you any money on your meals. You simply receive vouchers valued at exactly what you paid. This ties up your money and reduces your flexibility because the vouchers cannot be used at all Disneyland locations (including most or all of the Downtown Disney restaurants)" per mousesavers.

-There is the Anaheim Resort Transit System that provides shuttle service. Don't know about convenience or pricing. Your Hotels should provide a shuttle, check into their schedules.

Have fun planning.

Disneyland (many times growing up) with my boys...'07 Disney Hotel...'08 Marriott Newport Beach Villas...'09 VGC...'11 VGC Home!
WDW...Nov'10 AKV-Kidani
Hawaii...Jun'12 Aulani Villas
DCL...Nov'12 Cabo
rmonty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Well whether or not you want hoppers, you are going to get one if you get a 2 or more day ticket. The only non-hopper ticket that is sold is a one day ticket.

And really, hopping is so convenient that I would recommend it everyday of your trip. Unlike WDW where it takes an hour+ to get from park to park using monorails or buses and transfering...., at DLR it takes a whopping 1-2 minutes to walk from park entrance to park entrance. It's basically like having one GIGANTIC park separated by an esplanade. Most DLR DIS members park hop. It really helps for collecting a lot of FPs.
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I also wanted to say don't rule out park-hopping. Even if you're only going for two days, I'd say spend 1/2 a day at DCA and 1 and 1/2 days at DL, or just keep going back and forth as you wish, but I wouldn't limit yourself by getting two 1-park/1-day tickets.
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The Fairfield is, of course, a Marriott property, and it's easy walking distance. The Hilton near the Convention center is a longer walk, and they either take part in ART (not free) or you use another hotel's shuttle.

Dining plan isn't a money-savings. It can be convenient to have pre-paid, but at the same time, you don't get change from the vouchers, so you'll be supplementing with your own cash. If you like the pre-payment idea, just save up the money and buy giftcards and disney dollars once you get to the park.

As others have said any ticket over a one day is a hopper.

Yes they have the same sort of GAC system as WDW.

2010 is the 55th anniversary, so they'll likely be doing something for that...no idea if they are continuing the free birthday thing. If they are, bring his birth certificate, or passport if he has one. You need gov't issued ID, basically.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Catkramer
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies! I think, I may be wrong, but to take part in the dining packages, I think you have to stay on property, no? So if that is the case, that isn't something we would want to do any ways.

I am not working right now, and budget is extremely important. We have 9 to 10 people that will be going, and the thought of spending 120 to 150 bucks just on transportation from the airport is really ticking me off. I think it is a rip off.

So I will keep looking and see what I can find.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: