Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quest for the West Aug 2 - 8 with PICS *Complete Trip Report*

Greetings. We have returned from our QFTW and I have uploaded 800+ pics from my camera....no don't click away - I won't be posting them ALL I did promise a trip report so here we go!

****SPOILER ALERT****
If you are an adventurer who wants to be surprised by what occurs on this adventure this is NOT the trip report for you!

****END OF ALERT****

Our adventurers: DH, me, DS1, DS2 who are both 18 1/2. This was their high school graduation trip. You can guess DH and my ages (but don't tell me in case I look much older than I am!)

Our Disney/travel background: DVC members, many trips to WDW (we are still in the teens for trips there but we are trying to do better!), one trip to DL, 4 Disney cruises (4-day, 10-day, 2-7 day cruises). Been to Europe twice on our own as DH's family is from southern Germany. My only experience with an 'organized' tour was with DS1 and his HS orchestra on a 9-day delightful tour of England in 2006.

Why did we decide to try ABD? We had done all the DCL itineraries that were offered this summer. There is so much of the United States we haven't seen and Wyoming appealed to all of us. A DCL cruise for our family was about the same as the ABD trip. I am always the trip planner in our family. My guys are GREAT about my arrangements but I was looking forward to NOT being responsible for the entire trip. (You other planners know what I mean )

Our arrangements: Two rooms for the ABD adventure. One extra pre-day at the Wort hotel in Jackson Hole. For $350+ per night we were fine staying in one room that night!

Saturday August 1 - Day Zero
Woke up at 0400 Michigan time (0200 Wyoming time) Off to Detroit Metro to catch our puddle jumper to Chicago. NO direct flights to Jackson Hole. What seemed like HOURS later we arrive to the most beautiful view from the tiny airport. Join me for a walk from the runway to the terminal.

DS2, Hubby, DS1 They are handsome but look at the view!

Don't see this at every airport! An elk-antler arch to enter the terminal building:

No problem finding the luggage carousel - there is ONE. Nicely appointed - don't forget to look up!

We snagged our lugged and quickly moved outside to grab a cab into town. They have set rates which is nice. About $54 to get our family into town plus tip.

Next up:
The Wort, Bubba's, and our nap in the lobby. Hope you enjoy following along. I'll add another installment tomorrow. My pillow calls.

Last edited by tksbaskets; 08-21-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: I'm done!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Whoohoo! Looking forward to more of this report!

What gorgeous weather you were welcomed by!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
HappyGrumpy
DIS Veteran

This is a welcome report!! Given all the Drama on the boards the past 24 hours I will gladly read your report! Oh but wait we leave on the 25th...should I or shouldn't I? This is going to be hard!!
HappyGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGrumpy View Post
This is a welcome report!! Given all the Drama on the boards the past 24 hours I will gladly read your report! Oh but wait we leave on the 25th...should I or shouldn't I? This is going to be hard!!
I saw a bit of the drama...bummer. I'll put you out of your misery. It was a FABULOUS trip!!! You are in for a treat when you go. I was prepared for being disappointed but was not in any area. I will give you my unique perspectives as I go along but sleep easy tonight - overall we thought the trip was a BLAST.

TK
Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
HappyGrumpy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I saw a bit of the drama...bummer. I'll put you out of your misery. It was a FABULOUS trip!!! You are in for a treat when you go. I was prepared for being disappointed but was not in any area. I will give you my unique perspectives as I go along but sleep easy tonight - overall we thought the trip was a BLAST.
I don't know you but I LOVE YOU! I am going to bed right now to have sweet dreams about this trip! Thank You your an ! for giving me a heads up and it is TRULY appreciated!

HG
HappyGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGrumpy View Post
I don't know you but I LOVE YOU! I am going to bed right now to have sweet dreams about this trip! Thank You your an ! for giving me a heads up and it is TRULY appreciated!

HG
No problem. Is that a reference to "Up"? I loved Dug! More tomorrow. Now I really am going to bed

TK
Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
brewcrew
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to read about it!
brewcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Gwene65
Minnie Brown
Always a bridesmaid

Making Dreams Come True Everyday

Great Job!!

This trip report is great! The pictures are top notch and your descriptions make me want to go on this adventure; and you're only on day 2!!

Can't wait for more.
Gwene65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwene65 View Post
This trip report is great! The pictures are top notch and your descriptions make me want to go on this adventure; and you're only on day 2!!

Can't wait for more.
Hi Gwene65! Thank you for your kind words I'm having fun re-living our trip. Plenty more to go. Just wait until you hear what happened to my camera on the next day

I highly recommend this adventure! Hope you enjoy the rest of my trip report.
TK
Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Best trip report I've read by far!!! You're an awesome story-teller, and the pictures of the raft trip are excellent. I have been contemplating this trip with my daughter, and you just might have sold me by your trip report alone. If I book, I will tell them to give YOU the commission! Can't wait for more stories!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
Best trip report I've read by far!!! You're an awesome story-teller, and the pictures of the raft trip are excellent. I have been contemplating this trip with my daughter, and you just might have sold me by your trip report alone. If I book, I will tell them to give YOU the commission! Can't wait for more stories!
Aren't you sweet I'm glad you are enjoying my report. I write in a journal each day when we are on vacation so the memories stay fresh. I think you and your daughter would really enjoy this adventure. There were kids of all ages on our trip and they all seemed to love it! More tomorrow.

My pillow is calling and I have to work tomorrow. More tomorrow night I hope!

TK
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
kayla87
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad I stumbled across this! Your report makes me miss Wyoming; I'll just have to experience it through your pictures! I can't wait to read more
kayla87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: