Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
JerseyMamaBear
DIS Veteran

40 Weeks and Still No Baby! Help (UPDATE)

So im now 40 weeks with my third child and this little bugger will not make a move. I went into preterm labor with him at 22 weeks and have been pretty much on bed rest up until 34 weeks when I got the all clear that we were both safe. I guess all of the medication I was on worked too well because he is enjoying his little room a bit too much. I have been 3cm and 50% for 2 weeks now with contractions comming and going. The ob says he is still sitting pretty high up and thats why the contractions arent doing anything because he is not low enough to thin me out. I have an appointment for Thursday for an induction but would prefer to go on my own.
What tips or suggestions does everyone have to get this show on the road? We have tried a few of the "common ones" but nothing. PLus in this heat im having a hard time walking outside too much. Thanks for the help

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]1979-1994 Fort Wilderness & Condos at DTD #1-21
1993 Dixi Landings (POR) #22. #36 2011 Poly, marathon
1997 Off Property #23. #37 2011 Riley's birthday
1999 CBR #24. #38 8/11 Colins Birthday
2003 Port Orleans Riverside #25. #39 10/11Wine& Dine run
2004 CBR #26. . #40 2012 POP
2006 CBR #27
2006 All Star Sports #28
2007 All Star Sports #29
2008 All Star Sports #30
2009 All Star Music #31
2010 Polynesian Birthday weekend #32
2010 April Poly for Princess Birthday #33
2010 May All Star #34
2010 Halloween at the Poly #35

Last edited by JerseyMamaBear; 08-05-2009 at 02:21 PM.
JerseyMamaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
tjbaggott
DIS Veteran

Does your OB do "stripping of the membranes"? That always worked for me.
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

From what I hear...

Go to a mall with a friend, Mom - anyone who is REALLY supportive.

Have a glass of wine and shrimp for lunch.

Go walking - as long as you can stand.

Baby next day.

Worked for 3 friends of mine...

Good luck!

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
MrsSpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
JerseyMamaBear
DIS Veteran

good question, not sure. but I do know he is not big on interfering unless he has to. But we do go Thurs for induction since its past our due date

2006 CBR #27
2006 All Star Sports #28
2007 All Star Sports #29
2008 All Star Sports #30
2009 All Star Music #31
2010 May All Star #34
Old 07-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

I can sympathize, my first was 15 days late. You will get very sick of folks say, Haven't you had that baby yet?"

With my second I did a step aerobics tape the night before went into labor.

Good luck!
hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
wisegal
Mouseketeer

Chinese food for dinner worked for both my mom and sister

Me , DH DD (7) DS (6)
wisegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
JerseyMamaBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisegal View Post
Chinese food for dinner worked for both my mom and sister
funny that what we ordered for dinner tonight!

2006 CBR #27
2006 All Star Sports #28
2007 All Star Sports #29
2008 All Star Sports #30
2009 All Star Music #31
2010 May All Star #34
Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I've had 3 v births, and never went on my own. I even had a failed overnight induction with #1, at almost 42 weeks, and was sent home. I had even falled down a full flight of stairs. If it makes you feel better, with #2, I was induced at 41 weeks, 3 cm dilated, they broke my water, started the pit, and gave me an epidural right away. Never felt a single twinge of a contraction (which started right after the epi took effect), and I pushed ds out 4 hours later - it was a great day! As you can imagine, I have tried everything possible to go into labor (walking, scrubbing floors, sex, evening primrose oil, spicy food, even the old breast pump, castor oil), and nothing. Most people try these methods when they're close to their due date, and I think therefore those that go into labor would've gone anyway.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
JerseyMamaBear
DIS Veteran

So we had another doctors appt today and still no progress. We are set for an inductions tommorow morning at 6am where they are going to break my water and give me pitocin (sp?)
Thanks for all of the well wishes and advise everyone has shared this past week or so. We had A LOT of fun trying a few of them out! I will let everyone know how it all works out when I get back from the hospital either Sat or Sunday!

2006 CBR #27
2006 All Star Sports #28
2007 All Star Sports #29
2008 All Star Sports #30
2009 All Star Music #31
2010 May All Star #34
Old 08-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMamaBear View Post
So we had another doctors appt today and still no progress. We are set for an inductions tommorow morning at 6am where they are going to break my water and give me pitocin (sp?)
Thanks for all of the well wishes and advise everyone has shared this past week or so. We had A LOT of fun trying a few of them out! I will let everyone know how it all works out when I get back from the hospital either Sat or Sunday!
Good Luck and Best Wishes!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMamaBear View Post
I was induced with Seth my second, it was decided to it at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetis and that he was looking big. (he was too 9lb 8.5 and he got stuck twice)

They broke my waters and then left me to it. I wanted to give it a go just with breaking the waters before taking any meds. They checked 2 hours later and said I wasn't coming on. However, while poking around in there, I had a massive contraction so I said could they just give me another hour before giving me the meds to get things going. 40 mins later he was born. The midwife was so convinced nothing was going to happen she had left us to it in the room, poor hubby didn't know what to do, I was pushing and screaming at him to get someone in.

Good luck with it all I look forward to hearing the news.

Kirsten
Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebs View Post
I was induced with Seth my second, it was decided to it at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetis and that he was looking big. (he was too 9lb 8.5 and he got stuck twice)

They broke my waters and then left me to it. I wanted to give it a go just with breaking the waters before taking any meds. They checked 2 hours later and said I wasn't coming on. However, while poking around in there, I had a massive contraction so I said could they just give me another hour before giving me the meds to get things going. 40 mins later he was born. The midwife was so convinced nothing was going to happen she had left us to it in the room, poor hubby didn't know what to do, I was pushing and screaming at him to get someone in.

Good luck with it all I look forward to hearing the news.

Kirsten
With my last that's all they needed to do to start labor as well. 90mins later I was holding him.

If this isn't your first your body might just go with the flow as soon as your water breaks.

Many OBs don't like that but it might be worth a shot to avoid pit.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
LWatson
I Still Do!!!!

I was induced w/ my youngest. I went it for it and they were like "Oh you are already 4cm." But, I got the pitocin anyway since they had already ordered it. It was so easy...long but easy. I didnt need the epidural for contractions, but got it because he was positioned wrong and killing my leg (he was turned diagonally and pounding down on my leg area)...If it werent for that I would have gone drug free. My midwife checked at 6:05 and I was like 8.5cm. and he was still high. I told my mom at 6:15 that I thought my epi worn off since I was having some back pain, which was fine w/ me i just thought it was funny because I had just gotten it. She goes to get the midwife and she comes in and checks and goes "OMG HIS HEAD IS ON ITS WAY OUT." LOL I loved my last birth it was sooooooo easy. Dont get worried about inductions.

Feb 2009-Shades of Green R&R, Nov 2009-All Star Sports Welcome Home, May 2010-Shades of Green,Jan 2011-POP Boy's Birthday Trip
April 2012- Shades of Green Vow Renewal/POP Welcome Home, Feb 2013-Universal/Disney 10yr Anniversary Getaway at Westgate Lakes and Spa
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
annagirl
Mouseketeer

I was induced at 7 days past my due date.

Did nothing for me. Spent all day at the hospital connected to the machines with that pitocin in me and at 5 they sent me home.

Went back 3 days later - 10 days past - and did it all again. At 1 they broke my water. The pain was terrible. At 4 they finally allowed me to have my epi - even though they didn't want to because I was only at 2 cm. I think they figured I was going to have a c-section anyway.

I slept until 6 - daughter was born just 50 minutes later. I went from 2cm to 10cm in less than 3 hours.

Because they didn't expect that, my epi had not worn off by the time I was ready to push. It took 3 sets of 3 pushes - she was out within 15 minutes.

I loved my epi.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #15
emh1129
I admit, though, that I had Disney-tunnel-vision
Had a fish named mushroom
Most of the people here are completely clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_family_1247 View Post
Please don't offer your personal opinion as medical advice. Full term is 37-42 weeks. You are right that the baby can stay in there a little longer (although it sounds like she's not being induced until she's about 41 weeks). The placenta begins to deteriorate after 42 weeks. I'm totally against early inductions for no reason, but come on! The woman is term. Just because nature sometimes makes babies stay in longer, doesn't mean nature is always right. If you want to be totally natural in childbirth (I don't mean drugs in labor or anything like that), you have to accept the bad odds that go along with it.

To the OP. If you and your partner are up for it, doing something "private" is supposed to help. I won't go into the gross details, but look it up
Sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to touch on a few of your points. The previous poster was on to something there.. and it was not just personal advice, there, as you said, because a good midwife or doctor would mention the risks of an induction as well.
(So there are not just 'bad odds' with letting nature take its course as you implied- it's a bit ironic, though, that you mentioned that.)

And slight correction- The placenta *can* begin to deteriorate after 42 weeks..most of the time, it's fine. Amniotic fluid levels are generally fine, as well, as long as the mother keeps well hydrated.

About the part I underlined- I think that's what the pp was saying. There are more 'bad odds' (to use your words) choosing an induction for the simple fact that you are past a random 'deadline' versus letting your body/baby choose when it is ready. There are risks with anything, of course (even crossing the street) but more here associated with induction.
And "post dates" are after 42 weeks.

Inductions often don't work because the woman's body just isn't ready to go into labor (they work best when they are least needed- as in, when the woman was close to labor anyway!)

Often it becomes 'failure to progess' which leads to c-section.

Or baby is not in a favorable position, and it can become a 'CPD' (cephalopelvic disproportion) when in actuality baby just didn't have time to move into place yet. So.. c-section. (side note, many women with this label have gone on to ******lly birth larger babies, so this "CPD" label is often not reality)

Or after the induction begins, baby begins to have decelerations in heart rate (pitocin causes unnatural contractions), so this leads to c-section.

Plus, with induction comes IV, then comes pitocin with unnatural & more painful contractions comes epidural (most of the time), so mom is now immobile. So flat on back= less help from our friend, gravity. And mom is not able to listen to her body to feel what positions are effective when pushing, etc. So then we have vacuums, episiotomies, etc. and that's if she even gets to the pushing phase.

So if you look at the research, inductions are not a walk in the park with no risks, either.
And again- sometimes everything goes just fine!
But it's definitely something that should take some research and careful consideration.

Many times this 40 week due date is also not quite accurate, either, which puts another spin on it all.. some women do not ovulate exactly on schedule, sometimes a woman can ovulate a second time.. etc. Some women have longer than 28 day cycles..

And ultrasounds can be +/- 2 lbs. So.. not too reliable.

I understand how hard it can be to wait.
But sometimes babies are truly not ready at 40 weeks. If both mom and baby are healthy, why rush things?

I think the previous poster (bumber?) was just trying to offer support if the mom wanted to let nature take its course. That the baby really will come, she really will go into labor. Often the people around us are anxious and want to meet baby, and our society is so prone to being impatient, that it can make us start to lose faith and become impatient as well (and make us say things like "40 weeks and still no baby! Help!" - when really that's not even post dates, so nothing to be concerned about.

Both of my girls were 10 days past their due dates.
It was hard waiting, but baby and I were fine, so it was just a waiting game.. especially hard when friends & family members couldn't understand why I didn't just go in for an induction so I could "hurry up and get the show on the road!"

OP- none of this was directed at you, just wanted to add a bit more info because the previous poster left me scratching my head a bit.. and I am sure that everything went beautifully for you! I just couldn't resist adding a bit more info to this.

Can't wait to hear about your beautiful baby

Last edited by emh1129; 08-06-2009 at 08:09 AM.
emh1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: