Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
tarak
DIS Veteran

Three Generations going to the World!

This trip came about very suddenly. I tend to be a planner (see my other tickers Ė Iím planning a trip when I donít even know what the prices will be). For a while now, I had a plan to take my mom and my daughters to Ireland next summer on an ABD trip. My family is Irish and my mom has been to Ireland, but not for at least a decade and I knew she wanted to go back. The ABD trip looked like just the thing.
I started to scrimp and save, knowing that with that trip and the big Disney trip next December I wouldnít have much in the way of discretionary money. Well, reality finally set in that maybe spending the equivalent of a yearís college tuition on a trip the girls likely wouldnít remember might not be the most responsible thing to do.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
tarak
DIS Veteran

At what point was someone going to stop me?

So on Saturday night, Iím perusing the WDW site and looking at the specials and realize I have enough saved at this point to pay for a week long trip to WDW with my mom and daughters. I talk to DH who says ďIím glad you saw the light.Ē Not sure why he didnít mention this light earlier, but okay. He has no problem with my going to the World as long as he doesnít have to go until next year. He likes it, but doesnít feel the need to go every year.
Over the weekend, we take the kids (fondly known as Heckle, Jeckle and the Dude) to Hershey Park (we have season passes) and at one point Jeckle throws a penny into a fountain and says ďI wish we could go to Disney World.Ē So at this point Iím thinking that if Hershey Park isnít enough of a distraction from the World, Kenmare Bay wonít cut it either.
Call mom. Turns out she thought I was a bit nuts for wanting to take a 6 year old and a 7 year old to a foreign country. I wonder at what point everyone was going to share this opinion with me. Mom has never been to Epcot or WDW. I donít think sheís ever been to Florida, to be honest. So a trip to F&W fest is born.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
tarak
DIS Veteran

The travelers!

Okay – here are the players.

Me – 39 by the time we travel. I’m an attorney and work for the state - lately I've been writing contracts. DH and I have been married for almost 10 years (next year's trip is in part an anniversary celebration). Not one person told me my hair was sticking up.

Mom – 71 this year. My mom is very eccentric, but would do anything for me and loves my kids to distraction. She hasn’t been on a vacation, other than an odd weekend here or there, in at least ten years (I think the last trip was when she went to Ireland at least a decade ago). She would never spend this kind of money on herself and I’m very grateful that I’m in a position to do it instead. She is very independent. When in Dublin, she went on some Literary Pub Crawl. I didn’t ask for details because the idea of my mom drinking and following the footsteps of James Joyce was a bit unsettling. I mentioned to her that we’ll be there at the same time as the Not So Scary Halloween Party and she said “ooh! I love Halloween!” Not sure if she’ll dress up, though. She's obviously the one on the right - this is an old picture, but other than being completely grey, she hasn't changed much. Which bodes well for me.

Heckle – DD6. The product of two lawyers. She has a memory like a steel trap. She is affectionate and bossy, loves the color pink and anything with skulls on it. A few years ago, we were driving somewhere and she yelled from the back seat, “play Run to the Hills, daddy!” Um – did my 4 year old just request an Iron Maiden song and know the words to the chorus? Why yes, she did. She loves High School Musical and Wipe Out. She, like the rest of the family, is a huge fan of Ninja Warrior. She thinks that Yamada needs to stop before he permanently damages himself.

Jeckle – DD4. She's the one on the right. She is extremely strong willed. She is a monster when she is hungry. She is a clone of her father. She is also a sweet child who gives the best hugs ever and is always willing to comfort someone who is upset. She has a wonderful imagination and tells all sorts of crazy stories. And yes – that is a hat with a Cthulhu on it. It is her favorite hat. She wore it to pre-school for “hat day” and one poor girl ran to the other side of the room crying because it scared her.

DH is staying home with the Dude (DS1), but they’ll make appearances in my other pre-trip report.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
tarak
DIS Veteran

A little bit of Gilbert Godfried goes way too far

When I was a kid, I loved the Tiki Room. Yes, it was cheesy and silly. But I knew the songs by heart, and my dad always laughed at the lame jokes (he died almost 17 years ago and whenever I'm at the World, I think of the rides he loved most and want to go on them).
The Tiki Room's new management should be fired. We managed to avoid the Tiki Room the last time we went to the world. The first time, the girls were only 2 1/2 and 4 - I was hoping they wouldn't remember it at all. I had recorded a travel show (Samantha Brown?). And for a few horrible seconds, the outside of the Tiki room was revealed in all its Iago and Zazu infested glory. The girls immediately tell me how much they love the Tiki Room and have to go on it.
DH - knowing that it's just me and the girls with my mom this trip says, "I guarantee you will get to go to the Tiki Room the next time you go to Walt Disney World." Then laughs like a mad man. The girls are confused but happy.
I could beat him with a stuffed bird.

Last edited by tarak; 08-12-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

I jumped over from my own PTR to check yours out and discovered that besides being very similar in age, we actually are both lawyers who work for the government!

I like the idea of your trip with your mother a lot and she looks like a really lovely lady. I am looking forward to read more about your trip! Now I have to check out that other PTR!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! Ė Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
tarak
DIS Veteran

Hi, Flossbolna! My sister and I took a weekend trip just the two of us years ago (in 2001). The next big vacation we take will be very different because we're both married and have kids (and step-kids), but I'm hoping she and I can sneak off and do something just the two of us.

So I haven't updated this in a while. Working for the state has it's hazards when budget time comes around. We were working without pay for about 5 weeks and while I knew I would eventually get paid, it made it hard to think about taking a vacation when the money for that was being spent on things like the electric bill. But I've been paid and should be gainfully employed, so the trip is definitely on. I have to pay the balance in a week, so there's no turning back now!

So mom is definitely dressing up. And I'll be bringing costumes for the girls. So I'll be dressing up. I have no costume. But I'm thinking a pirate costume should be easy to come by. And our local renaissance faire starts tomorrow, so it seems like the perfect opportunity to shop in advance (getting that 5 weeks of back pay in one shot didn't hurt, either)!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: