Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

The Darling Family June Beach Club Trip:Hugging Ewoks and Finding Peter Pan

to my first attempt at a trip report. We had a magical trip and I want to relive it! Hopefully I’ll pick up a few readers, but even if I don’t I’ll have fun thinking about our magical vacation. And don’t worry I took plenty of pictures!

Introducing the cast:

Me: a 37 year old mostly SAHM that loves Disney World. I visited Disneyland as a child and spent a day there in 2004, but my first trip to Disney World didn’t come until Thanksgiving 2006. I loved every minute of it and we returned in January 2008. That was a fabulous trip full of great memories, and I couldn’t stay away too long so this trip was planned!

DH: Almost 40 year old government attorney. If you’ve ever seen the movie Hook, he’s like the lead character. Sometimes forgets about the kid inside, but Disney World helps bring back that boy who never grows up. He doesn’t have the same obsession with Disney World as me, but he always loves the time we spend there and agrees that there will never be a “last trip” (at least not until we’re dead).

DD9: We’ll call her Wendy Darling. She’s a lot like Wendy. Sweet, responsible and trying to negotiate that tricky balance between being a little girl and growing up. She’s still not quite ready to leave the nursery yet! (Or at least I don’t want her to be.)

DS7: This is John Darling. He’s my sensitive soul and approaches life with a bit of caution. When he breaks loose, however, he can be as rambunctious as they come.

DS4: Michael Darling. Instead of a teddy bear he carries a panda (though he doesn’t take him out of the hotel room at Disney). He has no fear and we sometimes forget that he is only 4 years old.

That’s my clan and we spent a magical nine days in Disney World. I can’t wait to tell you about our trip so let’s get this party started!

Day 1: We're Here!
Epcot Afternoon
DTD Shopping Spree
Garden Grill Dinner

Day 2: Empty Main Street
Crystal Palace Breakfast
Dumbo Dash & More
More Magic Kingdom
Hugging an Ewok
More Star Wars Guys
Lovely SW Lady and More Ewoks
Scary Stormtroopers and Beachy Dreams

Day 3: Good and Evil
A Real Jedi and More Star Wars Guys
A Parade that is Out of This Galaxy
Scary Creatures and a Scary Shopping Spree
A Charming Prince and a Wizard
Photopass Addicts
A Tasty Dinner & Lovely Princesses
Spectromagic It Is
A Magical End to the Day

Day 4: Early Morning on the Boardwalk
A Beach Club Breakfast
A Beach Club Photoshoot
Grumpy Makes an Appearance (actually 3 Grumpys)
A Chef Mickey's Dinner
More Characters at Epcot
Donald and his Buddy

Day 5: A Future World Morning
A Mouse, a Duck, a Dog and a Cat
Introducing the Disney Family
Fire Safety and Fighting Evil in Norway
How not to Parent

Day 6: Toy Story Pandemonium
Jedi Training Begins
The Boys Battle Vader
Power Rangers and American Idol
Lunch, Toy Story Mania and a Wee Shopping Spree
Beach Club Afternoon and World Showcase Evening

Day 7: Magic Kingdom Rope Drop Style
Pixie Hollow
A Main Street Photo Shoot
Pirates, Buzz, Stitch and a Goodbye
Le Cellier and another Epcot Evening

Day 8: Finally the Animal Kingdom
The Boneyard, a Character, and Kali "Terror"
Goodbye Animal Kingdom
The Disney Family Treehouse
Our Last Night

Day 9: Relaxing at Saratoga
A Final Epcot Character Greeting
Our Last Epcot Afternoon
Our Journey Home

Final Thoughts
An Exciting Post Script

Last edited by dismagiclover; 02-02-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
dismagiclover

Day 1, Part I: We're here!

We had an early flight so the alarm went off at 4:25 am and we were all out the door by 4:50. That must be some sort of a record. Luckily we’re only about a 15 minute drive from the airport (at least it’s only 15 minutes at 5 am) We parked the car, rode the shuttle to the terminal, checked the bags at the curb, went thru security and we were sitting at the gate by 5:40. I think that may be another record! After an uneventful flight we landed in Orlando and it was only 8:40 in the morning! We had a whole Disney day ahead of us! I mentioned to DH that perhaps he should look at the map so we knew where to find the Magical Express service because I’d read on DIS about people having trouble finding it. “Not us, “ was his reply. Ok Mr. Smarty Pants I’ll follow you. I followed him until he started walking out the doors of the airport and then insisted he follow me while I teased him about “people like us.” We found the Magical Express and hopped right on the bus. Can I just mention how absolutely fabulous it was not to have to claim our luggage! That fact alone makes the Magical Express magical. Here we are on the bus. The kids are a tad excited!

As we waited on the bus DH leans over to me and says, “Pretty soon you’ll take a look at me and say, ‘There you are Peter!” It’s a reference to the movie Hook and it’s one of the things I love best about Disney World. My dependable and lovable DH finds his inner child and this is when I started looking for Peter Pan to come out.
After stopping at Saratoga Springs (which I thought was lovely and was excited to stay there the last night of our trip), Port Orleans Riverside, and Boardwalk we finally arrived at our destination the Beach Club!
As we hopped off we were greeted immediately by a friendly cast member and led to the front desk. I absolutely loved the smell of the lobby! If only I could find that smell and bring it home. It smelled like the beach, but only the good beach smells! (Let’s face it, beaches have some pretty bad smells). Of course our room wasn’t ready (it was only 10:00 am), but the cast member showed me where the locations was (woods view, 1st floor, close to Epcot). Perfect! She handed us our Keys to the World and we were off!

After snapping a quick picture we headed to the International Gateway. I couldn’t believe how close it is! We were there in about 7 minutes! The World Showcase wasn’t open yet so we headed to Future World.

Michael requested Figment as the first ride and since I knew there would be no line I said Let's go! We hopped on the ride and everyone was a bit startled by the bit when they blow the air at you. (We’d all forgotten that!) After the ride the kids spent a few minutes playing in the exit area.

We were all beginning to feel rumblies in our tummies. So we decided to head to the Land to pick up fastpasses for Soarin and lunch at Sunshine Seasons. Lunch was really yummy. (Sorry no pictues) We were on the DDP so we even tried dessert. The Strawberry Shortcake was the best and we got it again later in the week. After filling up our tummies we had to decide where to next?

Last edited by dismagiclover; 06-23-2009 at 03:01 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Yay Jenny!!! I'm here and looking forward to this! :

You chose the perfect pictures for your first post!

I think you did make some records with your time that morning, whoa!

You know what, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can buy that scent they have in the BC lobby! I'll search and see if I can find it...

I didn't realize you guys had already eaten at Sunshine Seasons before our lunch there. It is a good place.

My boys don't like that burst of air on Figment at all!! We didn't do Figment this trip.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Found this thread about the BC lobby scent:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2126281
Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Looks like a great start to a fantastic trip.

Your family is absolutely adorable and I'm "hooked" (pun intended) on your report. Can't wait to read all about your Disney adventures.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Looks like a great start to a fantastic trip.

Your family is absolutely adorable and I'm "hooked" (pun intended) on your report. Can't wait to read all about your Disney adventures.
I hope I don't disappoint!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
Found this thread about the BC lobby scent:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2126281
Thanks for the link! I'd love to order that. Maybe after we've recovered from the expense of this trip

Thanks for the interest in our trip too. You're just waiting for the part when you guys are featured

Oh and do you know how to quote multiple posts in one post?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Thanks for the interest in our trip too. You're just waiting for the part when you guys are featured

Oh and do you know how to quote multiple posts in one post?
Am not!!

To multi-quote click on the quotation marks (they're next to Quote) for all the ones you want to do..then click Quote on any of them.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
Yay Jenny!!! I'm here and looking forward to this! :
Hey girl! How was your trip??

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
kshattuck
DIS Veteran

John's goodbye to MK brought tears to my eyes! What a sweetheart. So happy that Nemo was found -- at long last! Can't believe you made it 8 days at WDW without heading to AK

The Beach Club sounds great....hope Saratoga is/was as much fun for you!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Canada is beautiful. Great pics.

OOH I can't wait to hear about your stay at AKL!!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Your meal at Le Cellier sounds lovely-I feel sometimes like I'm the only one who hasn't eaten there... The Maple Creme Brulee sounds really good...

I hadn't planned on going to the Living Seas w/ Nemo this trip but guess who has rediscovered Finding Nemo-DS! (you didn't happen to see any Bruce webkinz did you?

It sounds like a nice end of the day being able to do another Kim mission-I'm totally jazzed to do one...

Aw...bye bye Beach Club... hello SS
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

awesome night and meal
Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
Thanks for the Kim Possible advice. I have been trying to decided whether or not to try it. I think it sounds like fun, but I wasn't sure if my 7 year old son would like it or not. It sounds like from what you say that he would.
I think 7 years is a great KP age! Though you may have to give him a little help he will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshattuck View Post
John's goodbye to MK brought tears to my eyes! What a sweetheart. So happy that Nemo was found -- at long last! Can't believe you made it 8 days at WDW without heading to AK

The Beach Club sounds great....hope Saratoga is/was as much fun for you!
John really does have a heart of gold, though he's still a 7 year old boy I can't believe it took us so long to get to AK as well. At least we finally made it. And you'll hear our verdict on SSR when the time comes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
Canada is beautiful. Great pics.

OOH I can't wait to hear about your stay at AKL!!
Actually we're staying at SSR. We're finally visiting AK park next

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Your meal at Le Cellier sounds lovely-I feel sometimes like I'm the only one who hasn't eaten there... The Maple Creme Brulee sounds really good...

I hadn't planned on going to the Living Seas w/ Nemo this trip but guess who has rediscovered Finding Nemo-DS! (you didn't happen to see any Bruce webkinz did you?

It sounds like a nice end of the day being able to do another Kim mission-I'm totally jazzed to do one...

Aw...bye bye Beach Club... hello SS
I'm sure you're not the only one who hasn't eaten at Le Cellier. There has to be a couple of other people like you out there Sounds like you're making a trip to the Living Seas! John said there weren't any Bruce webkinz. Is that good news or bad news I hope you enjoy Kim Possible. Just remember, not in the heat of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon47142 View Post
awesome night and meal
It was a great Epcot evening
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
dismagiclover

The Boneyard, a character, and Kali "Terror"

We were in Dinoland and just completed Dinosaur Dumbo. There is no question that the next stop would be the Boneyard. Remember that it was June and it was hot. So I told the kids we wouldn’t play too long. I let them loose and they had a grand time. I snapped this shot at one point

Pretty soon Wendy and DH showed up. Wendy is preparing to leave the nursery and didn’t have as much fun at the Boneyard as she has in years past. She is always good for a picture though

It was time to leave and it was tough to get the boys out of there. Michael actually had to be chased down which made for some unhappy parents. I think he could stay there all day.
We decided to head over toward Camp Minnie Mickey because I wanted to see the Lion King show. It was a bit after 10:00 and I was hoping the line to meet Pooh and Friends would be short. We walked down the path, but decided to turn around. The line looked about 15 minutes and the CM said it was the shortest it would be all day, but no one wanted to wait.
So we made it over to Camp Minnie Mickey. They were getting ready to seat for the next show. We happily headed into the air conditioned theater. We did have to wait a few minutes for the show to start, but it was cool so I don’t think anyone minded. We’d seen this show on our first trip but I’d forgotten how great it was! It really is one of the best shows in Disney World. Michael adored the acrobat monkeys. I didn’t take any pictures, but I’ve seen plenty on this board.
After the Lion King, John wanted to meet some characters. The lines were pretty long, however, and Wendy wasn’t feeling very good. So we just picked one of them. Which one?

Notice Michael didn’t even want to get out of his stroller. I think he was feeling a bit charactered out. He actually fell asleep shortly after this.

I would have loved to see more characters. I just love the safari outfits, but Wendy really started complaining at this point about not feeling good and her stomach was hurting. We decided she must be hungry so we headed to lunch. We walked right by Daisy with a pretty short line. I really wanted Wendy to stop (she had a Daisy shirt on), but she said she was feeling sick. So we didn’t meet Daisy this trip. (I just love her Sarari outfit too.)
Lunch was at Pizzafari which was normal Disney pizza. Here I finally discovered we could get large drinks on the dining plan. Better late than never I guess. The best thing about this CS is the eating area is inside. Though I would have liked to try Flametree, the air conditioning won out. Wendy hardly ate anything at lunch and I was starting to really worry about her. Maybe she really was coming down with something. (I’ve read all the flu at Disney threads). Towards the end of the meal she told me she felt like she was going to throw up. I figured I would take her outside while DH and Michael finished up. (Michael had just woken up and still needed to eat.) So Wendy, John and I headed out and found an empty walkway to sit on. At this point I finally discovered what was really wrong with Wendy. She didn’t want to ride Kali River. She didn’t want to ride it so bad that she had made herself sick. Earlier in line with DH she had heard screams and saw the big hill going up and it scared her to death. I knew she had no reason to be afraid and I also knew she needed to get on that ride ASAP. I’m a big believer in not letting fear control you! So I called DH and told him if we were going to ride Kali we needed to do it now. The walk over was painful to Wendy. The poor girl was literally terrified. Michael and even John (who is usually scared of his own shadow) couldn’t quite figure out why. They were having a grand time. On the way to Asia DH made a restroom stop with Michael. John spotted a photopass guy and starting begging for a Baby Simba picture.

Wendy was feeling too sick. Michael caught up with us and was a tad bit upset that John had already gotten his Baby Simba picture. (This was something we promised him earlier). We reassured him we’d find another Photopass later because we needed to get Wendy on Kali ASAP.
The wait in line even with fastpasses seemed long, but that was mostly because I was feeling bad for Wendy. We all hopped on the ride and were off. We made it to the top of the hill and instead of plunging to our doom (like Wendy thought) we went through a geyser and got soaking wet. At that point Wendy realized what the screaming was about and finally relaxed and felt better. The rest of the ride went great with the perfect amount of mini thrills for all. And boy did we get soaked!!!!! The verdict when it was all over: Wendy thought it was the best ride in Disney World and was upset she couldn’t ride again! The boys liked it too. Oh those crazy kids! Wendy was miraculously cured so where should we head next?

Last edited by dismagiclover; 08-17-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: