Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Back where I belong - pre trip report *UPDATED - finally home!*

I’ve been reading a few of the trip reports, and pre-trip reports, and have been inspired to… put pen to paper so to speak. Fingers to keyboard I guess would be the correct term.

As I’m reading other reports and looking at the photos, I keep thinking “oh I’d forgotten about that bit!” and getting more excited about going back! (Listening to DIS radio at the moment, how sad am I!)

A bit of history…
I’ve been lucky enough to have been 3 times before with DH, 2001, 2003, 2005. The pattern was interrupted rudely by a divorce, but hey, these things happen. Life has moved on and improved, and finances are finally getting back on track. Now living with DBF, and his two DS’s stay with us every weekend. None of them have been to anything Disney before, never mind WDW, and I’m trying to pass on my excitement! I just KNOW they are all going to love it.

The cast:
Me: 38 year old WDW fan. Trying not to mention the trip too much and be completely unbearable to the rest of the family. Will be 39 by the time we go.
DBF: 41 year old, not a fan yet, but really likes the look of the water parks and some of the rides! Has wanted to visit since being a kid. Will be 42 when we go.
DS1: 11 year old, excited but playing it cool. Will be 12 when we go.
DS2: 7 year old, really doesn’t comprehend it all, just delighted that the hotel will have a pool. Will be 8 when we go.

We popped into our local Disney store last weekend, and I saw all 3 of them light up and go “oh LOOK!” at something, so that seems promising!

Our plans so far…
We’ve booked with VH (yes, I know, I know – but it just seemed less hassle this time…). 2 weeks in April 2010, at the school holidays. Flying direct from Glasgow to Orlando return, and staying at Pop Century. I flew with Virgin the 1st time, and had no complaints, and since I’m going with 3 newbies, 2 of them rather young and who haven’t flown further than the middle of England, it just seemed much less hassle to fly direct, and with an airline which apparently has plenty of entertainment… I’ve not stayed at POP before, but have stayed at other value hotels, so have no worries about this, I think it will be fine. Not sure how we’ll all cope with being in the one room, I guess that will just mean early nights and early mornings! But then that’s good for getting round the parks before they get busy, and we can have a siesta or pool time in the afternoons. We have included the hire car in the package, even though we’ll use the Disney buses or Monorail most of the time, it’s nice to know it’s there for whenever we want it. I love the Disney transport, all feels like part of the fun to me.

Have paid half of what we owe to VH, the other half should be saved up by October.

Nothing else bought or booked yet, but planning on getting 14 day tickets for us all, and at the moment the Disney site itself looks to be the cheapest! Won’t have the ticket and excursion money saved until January, so just keeping an eye on prices in the mean time. I think the only other park we plan to do is Sea World (apart from the whole Disney shebang, including the 4 parks, 2 water parks, DTD, Disney Quest and the mini golf!!). I think the boys will like it at Sea World, they love animals. Also planning to take them to Cirque du Soleil, to Boggy Creek Airboats, to the Titanic exhibition (DBF will love that), to a mall or two, and perhaps some things on International Drive – can see what we feel like about ID once we’re there!

Hopefully we’ll catch most of the parades and fireworks, they are in my plan, but I’ll double check times and dates in January. Fireworks make awesome memories, those will last a lifetime.

At the moment, our chosen eateries are: Rainforest Café, Tusker House, House of Blues, Boma, Planet Hollywood, Mama Melroses, T-Rex, Nine Dragons, Hollywood Brown Derby, Tony’s Town Square Restaurant, Sci-Fi Dine in OR Rainforest Café again. Plus a few off-the-cuff visits to the likes of the Tangierine Café, the Noodle Station, Sweet Tomatoes, Ghirardelli’s etc. ADR time will be January, so plenty of time to research and change our basic plan if we need to. The three boys are all carnivores, but I’m veggie, which unfortunately limits our choices of restaurants a little. Will get a proper plan from the Disney Gods (Simon and Susan Veness) nearer the time!

So, how do you guys think I’m doing so far? Think I’m doing DBF and the two DS’s proud for their first visit? It’ll take us years to be able to save up enough to do this again, I’m sure!! I’m saving as many air miles as I can, so perhaps DBF and myself will be able to squeeze in a cheap(er) trip a year or so after this one (assuming he likes it!). Not sure how it would go down though, if we didn’t take the boys, wouldn’t want to upset them…

Just read back through this… nowhere near as good as Kevin Stringer’s trip reports!! They have me howling with laughter. I get really funny looks from my colleagues in an otherwise quiet office.

I'll keep you posted on developments, although they'll be sporadic until that magic 90 day window opens up...

Have a magical day ya all !!

Edit - added a couple of photos from 2005. (I hope... if I've done it right...)

2010 - April, Pop Century, 2 weeks
2012 - September, Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 weeks honeymoon

Last edited by VailaTigger; 04-23-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: adding photos.
VailaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Pugsly
Mouseketeer

Doin' great Vaila!

I especially like the 'twang you added at the end (ya'all!)

14 trips and counting ...
1978-offsite 1998-POFQ 2000-ASMo 2001-ASMo, CSR 2003-ASMo 2003-Hotel Santa Fe (DLP) 2004-ASMo, WL 2008-Pop 2009-Poly 2011-Hilton Grand Vacation Club 2012-Carribbean Beach 2012-Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2013-Grand Californian 2014-AoA
Pugsly is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Sounds like a plan to me.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great pre trip report, well done, it all sounds fantastic

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

ahhh, great plans. looking forward to seeing how your trip evolves over time
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Your plans sound fab, I am sure the three newbies will love it! I look forward to reading more updates as you get nearer.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailaTigger View Post
So, how do you guys think I’m doing so far? . . . Just read back through this… nowhere near as good as Kevin Stringer’s trip reports!! They have me howling with laughter.
I think you're doing just fine. And about matching Kevin's Trip Reports, don't worry about it--none of us can! But it does give us something to shoot for (not that I'm suggesting anyone shoot at Kevin!!) Just a little aside: Pugsly, the first to reply to your thread, is the Stringers' friend Sharon in Kevin's reports and I am their friend Susan and we can tell you that even though Kevin's stories often seem outrageous they're usually fairly accurate tellings of what really happened! If you think reading about his adventures are fun . . .

Have a great time introducing the World to your traveling companions, then tell us all about it.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Pooh's-Honey-Pot
Disney Bride June 19th 2006

Ohh I am loving your planning! Good luck getting your ADR's - you have some great ones picked!!

Disney trips:- 1989 - WDW Off Site; 1990 - DLR off site; 1997 - Disneyland Paris off site; 1997 -WDW off site; 2002 - WDW off site; 2003 - WDW off site; 2005 - WDW AS Movies; 2006 - WDW CBR (Disneymoon and Disney Wedding Pavillion Bride!); 2007 -DLR off site; 2008 - WDW POFQ; 2009 - DCL-A week on the Disney Magic (Western) + WDW POFQ; 2010 - Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne; 2010 - WDW Saratoga Springs Resort / Universal RPR 2010 -Pop Century; 2012 - Fantasy cruise

Take a peek at my 2009 reviews "But We Haven't Lost Last Years Weight Yet"! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post32039625
Check out my 2008 food report "Gluttony . . . Pure Gluttony" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1837106
2010 food review - "The Piggies are back . . . and this time they're hungry" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post38731959
Pooh's-Honey-Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

I DID IT!!! I DID IT!!! I DID IT!!!

Tried to book my ADRs online today, but the online system fell over this morning, and hasn't been back up since... Kept trying all day, and then finally gave in and called...

Eventually got through on the phone, after trying for 30 mins to connect. Waited in the system for 25 mins to speak to a CM, and then spoke to a lovely lady. She found my resort reservation, and when we got to the first dining reservation, Disney IT in their wisdom bummed out all the CM's to update something! AARRGGHH!

Called back 20 mins later, only 5 mins to get connected, and then a 10 minute wait to speak to a CM. Spoke to a different, but equally lovely lady, and 45 minutes later, I had all the reservations I wanted, for the times I wanted!! Awesome!

Rainforest Cafe
Tusker House (Nemo priority seating)
Kouzzina
House of Blues
Boma
Mama Melroses (Fantasmic package)
T-Rex
Nine Dragons
Planet Hollywood
Tony's Town Square Restaurant
Sci Fi Dine In

Cost me a ruddy fortune on the phone though

I also sent off our passport applications on Monday.

Now I can get a proper Itinerary from the Venesses Wonder how much it will match mine so far

Then next on the list is reorganising the hire car slightly, and calling to book the Magical Express.

Stay tuned folks! Vx

Last edited by VailaTigger; 10-28-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Dunno how to change the thread title to say update... but here's one anyway.

Car hire pickup changed to the Dolphin, the morning after we arrive.
DME booked online.
Cat booked into the cattery!

Two payments to go to pay off the holiday package

Can order our park tickets in Feb on the card, pay them off in March.
Will order some dollars in March too on the card, pay them off JUST before we go in April. (Will be able to make up our Mousekeeping envelopes before we go, looking forward to that!)

Our new passports arrived in under a week, which was rather impressive! ESTA and API will be done after Xmas, when I get my hands on the DS's passports...

Just about to investigate, and probably order, a plan from Simon and Susan!

Also considering calling the bank and credit card company to let them know my travel dates... too early?

Just over 18 WEEKS TO GO!!!

Vx
Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

your trip plans sound great, we love staying at Pop

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Sounds exciting and fantastic showing the place to newbies who just don't know how good it is.
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #14
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all your replies and comments, it's lovely to think that there are people out there reading my ramblings!

One small payment to go at the start of January, then the package is all paid off!

Hoping Santa will be good to me, and help me out by bringing me some travel items and guide books

There won't be much in the way of updates until Feb or Mar probably, when I will get park tickets, get some dollars, get even more excited than I am already, and get panicking that there's something I've missed!!

Hope everyone has an awesome Festive Season!

VailaTigger
x
Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Virgin package paid off! (flights, hotel, car hire)

Bought my 14 day Ultimate tickets!!

If you collect Air Miles (the real ones ) then you can use these to get a discount on Disney Tickets through Keith Prowse Attraction Tickets.

Phone up Air Miles and tell them which tickets you want, they liase with Keith Prowse, and you get a £60 discount for each 1000 miles you use!

I've just got a discount of £390 on 4x14 day Ultimate tickets for our April trip.

Used quite a lot of miles, but they've been sitting there for years just waiting for the right offer to come along (and it hasn't yet), so I had no worries about using them to get a huge discount on my Disney fun. The discount also REALLY helps us with paying for food etc when we're there!

Santa also brought me the Brit's Guide 2010, The Unofficial Guide 2010, travel hair straighteners, and travel scales!

The best bit though, is that DBF is now DF after he proposed on Christmas Day! A real reason for celebration when we're there.
Keep it a little shhhhhh just now though, *** DS7 & DS12 (and their mummy) don't know yet!

The plan now is to collect DS's passports from their mummy (this weekend hopefully) - then do ESTA and API - and buy some dollars, though that bit won't be till the beginning of March.

Oooooo it's getting so close now, I'm really having to keep a lid on the excitement! 11 weeks to go!

VailaTigger
x

Last edited by VailaTigger; 01-27-2010 at 06:15 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: