Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Dancemom03
Flexican wannabe

Who do you have your email with? What message program/service do you like best?

We switched from comcast months ago but the email addresses are still active. I've used the all the email available with new current internet provider but would like to keep/transfer the old comcast addresses/contact lists to their own seperate accounts.

I know Yahoo charges a fee - which wouldn't be bad if we didn't need 4 different accounts/addresses and the way I read it it'd be a seperate charge for each. Do you use a free email that'll download into Outlook Express/Windows Mail programs or like a certain free web-based email?

It's such a pain logging into yahoo, then back out to check the messages in a seperate yahoo acct, then back in again. There's gotta be a better way that I'm not aware of in my computer challenged existence...
Dancemom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
4Seasons
DIS Veteran

I use Gmail for this and it's great. I have 4 different emails set to all go to the google one (one for clients, one for some suppliers, another for other suppliers, one personal).
What I also like about it is you can email OUT from any of those addresses with Gmail as well. Very cool. And the Google calendar is great for reminding me of appointments, due dates, etc. A friend of mine turned me onto this and it makes my life SO much simpler.

You should check it out, I think it will offer what you are looking for.
4Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
paladin
DIS Veteran

Yahoo has free email (they also have a pay version - I have never really looked at what that includes). I have 4 yahoo email addresses right now and I don't pay a penny for them.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

I have my ISP email which I rarely use, a Yahoo mail account which I use most often and a Gmail account I use as my "junk email" box if I have to use an email to sign up for something and I think I might get spammed, etc.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
secretpantssam
DIS Veteran

I use gmail and it's the most convenient email service I have ever used. I would definitely recommend it.

What would Mickey do?
secretpantssam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
ah1126
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Gmail!
ah1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Dancemom03
Flexican wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Seasons View Post
I use Gmail for this and it's great. I have 4 different emails set to all go to the google one (one for clients, one for some suppliers, another for other suppliers, one personal).
What I also like about it is you can email OUT from any of those addresses with Gmail as well. Very cool. And the Google calendar is great for reminding me of appointments, due dates, etc. A friend of mine turned me onto this and it makes my life SO much simpler.

You should check it out, I think it will offer what you are looking for.
Thanks, It does sound like Gmail could be the answer. Yahoo will download to OE if I pay an annual fee but it's per account so that gets costly. I really prefer using OE/windows mail b/c we live pretty far out and our internet experiences outages. Using my own program offline I can still get something done until internet access is restored.

How is the google set - do all messages automatically appear? Can you view all 4 gmail addresses at once from one sign in? Four would be perfect for me too I think - we have two seperate business email accts, a personal, and another for ebay/pp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casndan View Post
I have been using yahoo for years and it's always been free. The only thing that you pay for with yahoo is if you need some extreme amount of data storage and I've had times where I had a couple thousand emails in my box and it was no problem.
I have two yahoo addresses now that I've used for quite a while, DD19 plays Warcraft online so she has several free yahoo addresses for gaming too but I was hoping to find something that would allow us to view all of them together without signing in & out seperately. Also something that would hopefully allow me to still view messages if offline from my computer. The pay yahoo will do that but I was hoping for something with a lower cost, or better yet - free & very easy

Last edited by Dancemom03; 06-10-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Dancemom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
4Seasons
DIS Veteran

Yes when I log into Gmail I can see all my mail from my 4 various email addresses at the same time. I'm not sure about working offline, I've never tried that.

I've discovered alot of cool new "techie" things lately (new and techie to me that is, LOL) that are really making my life so much easier. Maybe I'm just moving into the 21st century.....

One that I'll share is a "print to file" application. There are lots of them out there, some free, some paid, but until I read an article in a recent trade magazine I didn't have a clue that something like this was even available.
Instead of printing on paper, when you have a program of this type installed you select that instead of your printer and whatever you are printing is turned into a PDF file. The program I have is Bullzip:
http://download.cnet.com/PDF-Printer...html?tag=mncol

It's a free download.
So instead of using so much paper, I print most things I want to keep to PDF and store them on my computer, back up drive or write them to a CD.
You can even encrypt the documents, add a watermark and much more.

I'm trying to move towards a *semi-paperless* office. I know it will never be completely paperless, LOL but making the stacks on my desk smaller is a step in the right direction!
4Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
prncess674
DIS Veteran

You can have multiple gmail accounts and you can download your email from gmail using Outlook Express. You can either set up multiple OE identies so they each go to a separate inbox or you can have all four go to the same OE identity.

To learn how to set up gmail with OE see this info:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=12103
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

another vote for Gmail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: