Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

High Season DL Adventures--Aug 09 TR--Complete!

I have been lurking on these boards for about 10 months while planning our August 8-11 Disneyland trip. All the folks who have posted such fantastic trip reports have inspired me to start my own!

Cast of Characters:
Hawleys: I'm 31 and live in Berkeley CA. I have been to Disneyland just once, for one day and I am really looking forward to having several days to explore. I am a ride fanatic.
DJBelou: 30, DW, grew up in Washington state and has been to Disney as a kid and on our one day adult trip.
Baedyn: Our 9 year old nephew, loves Star Wars and manga. Easy going and tons of fun.

Here we are in DL in 2007 with our friend Ross (I'm on the right, DW is on the left)

Here is a picture of DW and DN from 2007.

Now, I know that some folks will say we are crazy to go to Disneyland in August so let me tell you how we ended up with these dates.

About 10 months ago, my DSIL asked us if we would babysit my wife's nephew while she attended a conference in San Francisco. DW has been promising to take DN to Disneyland for years and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. We have a long-haired cat and since DN is very allergic there was no way he could spend 4 days in our house.

I travel quite a bit for work and we had enough miles to get all three of us to LA and back. We were going to Disneyland!

Next up: Where to stay?

Last edited by Hawleys; 02-05-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Yay - how exciting!

We will be leaving Disney on August 8th and you will be arriving... can't wait to see how your plans progress...

2014 Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - Trip Report - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe

July 2014 Spain/France Trip Report
maryr1oz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryr1oz View Post
Yay - how exciting!

We will be leaving Disney on August 8th and you will be arriving... can't wait to see how your plans progress...

Whoo hoo! My first reply ever! You are coming much farther than we are...are you staying in CA for a long time?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Where to stay

I read Hydro guys tips on how to get the most out the parks during peak season. I tend to be a "go-go-go" type and I sometimes wear out the DW (and myself) when we are on vacation. So his idea of staying within walking distance of the park so that we could plan an afternoon nap/pool break was appealing. DW totally agreed!

After looking at the pictures of the water area at the Hojo, I was hooked. I found a 15% discount from another Disneyland community site and made my reservation...8 months in advance.

Can folks who have stayed at the Hojo tell me about their convenience store? We plan to have early breakfast in our room most mornings and I was going to buy milk and cereal. Will it be super expensive?

How do I get one of the fancy countdowns for my signature? They are so
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

You can get a countdown timer by visiting: http://www.********************/timers/

They will give you a HTML code for the timer you create and you can copy and paste it into your 'signature' of your Disboards profile!

We are coming to the States for 4 weeks total, visiting LA, Vegas, San Francisco and New York.

While i haven't stayed at the HoJo before, there is a 7/11 that would be about 10 mins walk from you away...

2014 Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - Trip Report - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe

July 2014 Spain/France Trip Report
maryr1oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
basketballmom
Living in the Happiest Place in Texas!

I just had to reply and say.......YAY August!!! We are going too! August 8-13.

Our last 3 trips were the last week of July, 2005, first week of August, 2006, and the weekend after Labor day, 2007. I will say that we LOVED being there in the summer! We are get to the parks at opening kind of people, and also the go-go-go type! Yeah, it is busy, but everything is open, the park hours are longer.....and you can take a 3-4 hour afternoon break and still get tons done!! Also, breaking up walking and riding with a show is a good way to cool down and rest your feet! Aladdin, Billy Hill, Turtle Talk with Crush....and others....good way to take a break!

We stayed at the HOJO in 2006. I don't remember the convenience store being super shocking expensive....I do remember it was nice and had lots of stuff! Milk, fruit, snacks, drinks....I think we even needed something random like nail clippers and they had them. The walk to the park was nice too.

So what are we down to?? 67 days??
basketballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Darn it!

Thanks for the tip on the countdown Maryr1oz. Turns out I can’t put it in my signature until I have made 10 posts. Inspiration to keep working on my PTR right there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: