Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Talking The "How Did I Not Know about FREE Dining" Pre Trip Report

Like all those before, I can almost not contain my excitement about our September trip to The World!

This will be my 13th time there, My FIRST time Driving, AND my FIRST time on the Dining Plan!!!
I can't BELIEVE I've Never known about FREE DINING!
(But more on that in a little while...)

Let's start with the who's who!

Cast of Two...!


ME: 31 years old, originally from Philadelphia, DH and I moved to Charlotte just a few short years ago to by a home and hopefully grow roots.
I'm a Medical Office Assistant, I love Sing, Read, and most importantly get to the World as often as possible! (Tee Hee)

DH: Just turned 34, was born in Texas but raised mainly in Baltimore (Air Force Brat)
He works in the Corporate IT World doing God knows what!
(He's tryed explaining it many times and I still don't understand...)




We met through a mutual friend that he went to college with when he came up to our hometown to see the sights.
He likes to tell people we met in a hotel room in Philly...this tends to get a much better reaction then my version of the story!

We started dating and the rest is History...
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Where's and Why's...

This Year's Trip

Where: All Star Music
When: September 12th thru the 20th
Why: 4th Anniversary AND Free Dining
How: Our first Disney Road Trip!



Here is a little background on my previous Disney Adventures:

1992 - 1995: Started my Obsession with the World when I was in High School.
Our Choir traveled there every year for Magic Music Days where we got to sing and perform in the parks! Such a cool experience for a teenager!

1997: Took my brother on his first trip to the world. I felt like splurging so we stayed at the Yacht Club. It was a lot of fun.

1998: First Family Vacation - Stayed at Port Orleans - We went for New years this year. New Years Eve at the Parks is a little crazy!
I've never seen so many people! We waited in line over 2 hours to get onto Space Mountain!

1999 - 2000: a few short misc trips staying with friends and once at All Star Sports.
I was hoping to get a job and move to Florida, but alas..it wasn't in the cards for me...

2001: My first trip with DBF (who is now DH) We stayed at All Star Movies - This was his First trip to the World!
I was MORE than happy to be his Tour Guide!
2005: Disneymoon! We stayed Offsite. My In-Laws gave us their time share for a week as a Wedding Present. It was awesome!
2006 - 2008: Anniversary Trips to the World, also spent OffSite
Needless to say, We're very excited to get back onsite this year!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mystic, CT
Posts: 962

sounds good! can't wait to hear more about your plans!
__________________
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
shordiebecka is offline  
Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Thanks shordiebecka!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

And Now for a Few plans...

So this whole FREE DINING thing is AMAZING! I really can't believe that with all of the times we've been there we have never done it!
If all goes well, I'm hoping we get to make it an annual thing!

I'm looking forward to trying some of the "signature" dining experiences that we would otherwise pass up because they would be considered too expensive.This whole 90day ADR thing is a bummer, because I'd love to call and just get them out of the way!
I guess I'll just have to be patient! Grrrrr

I most definitely want to surprise DH and try to get an ADR for the California Grill the first night we get there.
(Thank God he doesn't read these things unless I tell him to! )
I think it would be cool to see the fireworks from way up there.
We caught them last year from Narcoossees and it was UBER romantic!

Here's a pic of us celebrating our Anniversary there last year:
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Excitement in the Mail...

Our Tickets to the Not So Scary Halloween Party arrived today!

We did this last year and decided to have a go at it again this year.
Knowing what to expect and having a better idea of what goes on should make this year's party even better then last year!

I'm still not sure about the whole dressing up thing...last year I wore a black halloween shirt and I felt like I was melting!
Being pooh sized in the heat can sometimes not be kind! (but I'm working on it! )



We hope to get a better spot to see the Headless Horseman this year.
I had a pretty good spot saved for us, but thought I was wasting time so I decided to move. BAD IDEA!
I won't make that mistake again!
I was afraid we wouldn't have enough time to walk around and enjoy the treats...but of course I was wrong! There was PLENTY of time!



Can't wait to see those Villains!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
deslynnpatterson
we will be married for 5 years:) and will be spending it in disney:)
 
deslynnpatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA steeler country:)
Posts: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirchic View Post
Where's and Why's...

This Year's Trip

Where: All Star Music
When: September 12th thru the 20th
Why: 4th Anniversary AND Free Dining
How: Our first Disney Road Trip!



Here is a little background on my previous Disney Adventures:

1992 - 1995: Started my Obsession with the World when I was in High School.
Our Choir traveled there every year for Magic Music Days where we got to sing and perform in the parks! Such a cool experience for a teenager!

1997: Took my brother on his first trip to the world. I felt like splurging so we stayed at the Yacht Club. It was a lot of fun.

1998: First Family Vacation - Stayed at Port Orleans - We went for New years this year. New Years Eve at the Parks is a little crazy!
I've never seen so many people! We waited in line over 2 hours to get onto Space Mountain!

1999 - 2000: a few short misc trips staying with friends and once at All Star Sports.
I was hoping to get a job and move to Florida, but alas..it wasn't in the cards for me...

2001: My first trip with DBF (who is now DH) We stayed at All Star Movies - This was his First trip to the World!
I was MORE than happy to be his Tour Guide!
2005: Disneymoon! We stayed Offsite. My In-Laws gave us their time share for a week as a Wedding Present. It was awesome!
2006 - 2008: Anniversary Trips to the World, also spent OffSite
Needless to say, We're very excited to get back onsite this year!

i just found your PTR!! and we are also staying at all star music we will be there sept 10-20 and staying in the Calyspo preferred building! happy 4th anniversary!! my hubby and i will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary while on our trip I am sure we will run into each other at some point while at the resort!!
__________________
2004- POP, 2005-POP, 2006-POP, 2007- ASMU, 2008- ASMU, ASMU FREE DINNING AGAIN SEPT 2009 , SSR May 2010, SEPT 2010 CSR free dinning, SEPT 2011 8th-17th CSR!!!!

deslynnpatterson is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslynnpatterson View Post
i just found your PTR!! and we are also staying at all star music we will be there sept 10-20 and staying in the Calyspo preferred building! happy 4th anniversary!! my hubby and i will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary while on our trip I am sure we will run into each other at some point while at the resort!!
Congrats to you too! Fingers crossed for good weather this year! NO HURRICANES!!! (I'm reading your PTR now!)
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete

Last edited by choirchic; 08-05-2009 at 06:28 PM.
choirchic is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
deslynnpatterson
we will be married for 5 years:) and will be spending it in disney:)
 
deslynnpatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA steeler country:)
Posts: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirchic View Post
Congrats to you too! Make sure you get your Anniversary Pins!
Have you ever stayed at ASMu? I really want to request the Broadway Section!

yes we have stayed at ASMU before!! we love it!! we were POP lovers LOL then we went to book our 2007 trip for 8 people and there was no room at POP but to our suprise we enjoyed ASMU sooo much better!!! I think its quieter than POP because its smaller and the buses seem better to me too The broadway section is so pretty!! you should request it for sure
__________________
2004- POP, 2005-POP, 2006-POP, 2007- ASMU, 2008- ASMU, ASMU FREE DINNING AGAIN SEPT 2009 , SSR May 2010, SEPT 2010 CSR free dinning, SEPT 2011 8th-17th CSR!!!!

deslynnpatterson is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

I was editing as you were replying!

I'm glad to hear that ASMu is quiet...I was contemplating POP this year but they were already booked!

Do you guys have any special plans? I was very excited to finally get an ADR for The CA Grill!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
Old 09-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
cakesnjammom
DIS Veteran
 
cakesnjammom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,110

you know to tell you the truth we like driving better than flying....by the time we got to the airport by DME and waited for our flight we could have been half way home. no doubt flying is quicker...but you are more on your schedule than Disney's transportation when you drive. LMK if you feel the same!

Le Cellier is AWESOME...they have chicken breast, scallops, salmon...can your dh do any of that? not sure of all gout restrictions but I am thinking red meat? I think he will be happy with the selections....
http://allears.net/menu/menu_lcd.htm
maybe too late...but keep in mind for next time! YUM...or you may could get in for late lunch?

I am so with you on the costume plan...too hot! We are all wearing halloween tees too. Try talking a 5 and 7 year old into that...it was NOT easy!
Well wishing you a GREAT trip...enjoy every second!!
__________________
cakesnjammom is offline  
Old 09-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnjammom View Post
you know to tell you the truth we like driving better than flying....by the time we got to the airport by DME and waited for our flight we could have been half way home. no doubt flying is quicker...but you are more on your schedule than Disney's transportation when you drive. LMK if you feel the same!

Le Cellier is AWESOME...they have chicken breast, scallops, salmon...can your dh do any of that? not sure of all gout restrictions but I am thinking red meat? I think he will be happy with the selections....
http://allears.net/menu/menu_lcd.htm
maybe too late...but keep in mind for next time! YUM...or you may could get in for late lunch?

I am so with you on the costume plan...too hot! We are all wearing halloween tees too. Try talking a 5 and 7 year old into that...it was NOT easy
Well wishing you a GREAT trip...enjoy every second!!
Thanks for the recommendations! Red Meat is out, but the rest sounds yummy...I had no idea that they had more to choose from then steak! Maybe I'll see if we can get lucky and get in for a late lunch/early dinner! Thanks for the Tip!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...

Well, we get on the road tomorrow folks! I'm extremely excited, and can't wait to get away with my husband!
Thanks for the handful of you that tuned in.
I've got my secrets book all highlighted, and I hope to have a great trip report when we get back!

Here's the final list of plans:


Friday 9/11: Pick DH up from work around Noon, drive halfway and stop in Savannah and spend the night with friends.

Sat 9/12: Get up early and hit the road! Early Check In to All Star Music, probably lunch at Earl of Sandwich, settle in to our room and then California Grill @ 7:40pm

Sun 9/13: Magic Kingdom Day! We've got Tony’s @ 6:05, we plan to take our time and then enjoy the EMH after the fireworks.

Mon 9/14: Free Day - No plans yet! We Shall See!

Tues 9/15: MNSSHP is tonight! Can't wait! We're gonna sleep in a little bit, then mosey over to AKL for lunch @ Sanaa 2:10. Enjoy the sights a little bit and then head to MK at 4pm.

Weds 9/16: Another Free Day, but maybe head over to AK for EMH tonight and get some night shots of the park.

Thurs 9/17: AK day...Tusker House @ 8:20am, then enjoy the day. Love that Everest! After the park closes, we're having dinner with friends at T-Rex at 6:30 pm.

Fri 9/18: Another Free Day...

Sat 9/19: One More Free Day...

Sun 9/20: Our last day. After Check out, we'll Head to O’Hana @ 9am for a goodbye breakfast. Then we may hit one of the parks for a little bit, grab a quick lunch, then hit the road.

Hope you all have a wonderful week, and I'll check back when we're home!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
NSDisneyGirl
Earning My Ears
 
NSDisneyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 29

Pre-Trip

Hi!

I've been reading along and enjoying your pre-trip, hope you had a great time and I look forward to reading your trip report
__________________
"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever."
NSDisneyGirl is offline  
Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Just got back...plan to start my Trip report tomorrow! Such an exciting week!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.