Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Peter Panic Attack
sudden, discrete periods of intense anxiety coupled with a refusal to grow up

The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey

New Big-boy TR Chapter Links - generously donated my MineMail

Introduction

Chpt 1 – The trip is born

Chpt 2: I can’t believe we’re paying for dining

Chpt 3 - I can’t believe he’s on Chpt 3 and not at WDW yet.

Chpt 4 – I honestly believe he’s never going to get to WDW

Chapter 5 - Well... they're finally boarding the plane...so at least that's something

Chapter 6: MVMCP, we finally made it.

Chapter 7: Get on with it….what is this War and Peace.

Chpt 8: Please…I’m begging you… just get on the bus already

Chapter 9 - please, somebody make it stop

Chapter 10: “Chapter” You keep saying that word….but I don’t think it means what you think it means.

Chapter 11: Did we really need a whole chapter about lunch?

Chapter 12 – Oh…just shut up with the chapters already…they’re nonsense

Chapter 13 – We’re still at AK right? Just checking

Chpt 14 - How to bungle the jungle parade

Chpt 15 – I’d like to leave a wake-up call for the end of this TR

Chpt 16 - Day 2....which means day 1 only took fifteen chapters...great

Chapter 17 - Whatever

Chpt 18 - I promise we'll enter the park...probably

Chpt 19 – We’re really cooking now

Chpt 20 – Who’s up for some lunch?

Chpt 21 - Yup...we're still at MK

Chpt 22 - Yup...we're still....still at MK

Chpt 23 - Who's up for 30-40 chapters about a single day at Epcot?

Chpt 24 - Baby steps to the park.

Chpt 25 - More droning on about EPCOT

Chpt 26 - Did I just miss something...or was that another chapter about lunch?

Chpt 27 - Dinner at Germany

Chpt 28 - Tomorrow we're sleeping in

Chpt 29 - Lunch with royalty

Chpt 30 - I don't know....I'll have to check my notes

Chpt 31 - Dinner at Tonys

Chpt 32 – A day at the park formerly known as Disney MGM

Chpt 33 - More MGM stuff...probably

Chpt 34 - Well, it's lunch time....so you know what that means

Chpt 35 - What have we done!

Chpt 36 - Lost

Chpt 37 - What Pal Mickey would have wanted

Chpt 38 - Ariel's Grotto......of disappointment

Chpt 39 - Dinner at Le Cellier

Chpt 40 - Our final chance for Wishes

Chpt 41 - Black Forest Cake for lunch

Chpt 42 - Park Hopping to MK....after spending a bunch of time in the Norway pavilion

Chpt 43 - our last night at WDW

Chpt 44 - Wishes at
the Poly

Chpt 45 - Heading for home (Part One)

Chpt 46 - Heading for home (Part Two)

Epilogue

Introduction:

I cant remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day ….the mickey ……died.

Forgive me dissers, for I have shunned. It has been nearly two years since my last trip report.

There was a time…not so very long ago… when I was sure I would never be doing this again. Too much pain. Too many memories. How does one enjoy a site where… around every corner… there are painful reminders of our dearly departed Pal Mickey.

But something changed when we booked our December trip. Somewhere deep within me… a tiny flame was re-kindled. A part of me that I feared had died on that fateful day in December 2007 when we lost mickey stirred….. gasping for life.

But why now? Why….after all this time….would I chose to tell my story? Maybe I feel it needs to be told. Maybe something tells me that Pal Mickey deserves to be remembered. Maybe these walls I’ve built against the pain are selfish and weak and maybe….just maybe….I’ll never be able to love another plush, inter-active, talking mouse doll again until it’s told.

Hope springs eternal. Let’s begin.

Introducing the Panic Attacks (Pal Mickey is taking the photo)

Background:

Allow myself to introduce….myself. I’m Peter Panic Attack……and yes that’s my given name….born to Eugene and Gertie Panic Attack (and before you ask, no...I am not related to the Providence RI Panic Attacks...I wish!) In a former trip-report life I was Dabby. I was Dabby when I used to log-on under my DW’s username “Tinkershell”. Eventually, I grew tired of posting my manly comments under “Tinkershell” and made the decision to register under my given name….a decision I seldom regret.

Tinkershell is my extremely patient DW who drives our families WDW obsession. She is funny and a great mom who likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. My first trip to WDW was on our honeymoon. You’ll notice I said my first trip to WDW was on our honeymoon. It hurts me to say this, but Tinkershell had a pre-marital WDW experience while in college. I’ve never asked for the details……too painful.

Tinkershell and I have been blessed with two of the best kids money can buy. Baba aka Buddy aka Buddy-boy is our 15 y.o. DS who no longer lets me call him Baba in front of his peers…..apparently they pressure him in some fashion. He is now half-a-foot taller than I am and for this I can never forgive him.

Woobie aka Snow Woob aka Pookie is our 12 y.o. DD who owns the world’s second largest collection of Littlest Pet Shop animals and will tell you the unique name for each one of them if you have the time or inclination to sit through the 20-30 minute presentation. Only recently, she has started to replace her little girl posters with posters featuring pasty-faced characters from Twilight…. and this troubles me deeply.

Pal Mickey (deceased) was purchased during our 2005 trip. Insightful comments....clever banter....little-known facts....it was like vacationing with a small furry Cliff Clavin. He crossed the veil during our 2007 vacation under extremely suspicious circumstances. The local authorities were, curiously, disinterested. Worst part is...we didn't even get to say goodbye.

Next up: Chpt 1 – The trip is born
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL

Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey

Last edited by Peter Panic Attack; 07-01-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: cuz it's great...to be...a florida gator
Old 04-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
toy
Mouseketeer

You have my full and undivided attention!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Peter Panic Attack

Toy, Your ticker says you are leaving in one day! Me thinks you should be heading to the airport.

The airlines say to be at the airport a couple of hours before your flight. I find a nice 24 hour cushion much less stressful....and those little benches are suprisingly comfortable.
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL

Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
overthemoon4mickey
Mouseketeer

Oooh Oooh! I'm in! This looks like a good one!
SEPT. 05' 10 days CBR/WLV DEC. 07' 9 days CSR JAN. 09' 10 days POR Aug.09' 10 days ASMovies. Jan.11' 10 days CBR June 12' 11 days Bonnet Creek, Dis & Universal June 14' 2 weeks Bonnet Creek and Universal
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Wait- I know CPR!!!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club

Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
toy
Mouseketeer

If I could convince my husband I would totally be outta here. I have considered hog tying him...

We are driving. The bags are packed and waiting for loading. I hope the kids won't mind if I put them in the car tonight even though we won't leave until 5 pm tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Panic Attack View Post
Introduction:

Introducing the Panic Attacks (Pal Mickey is taking the photo)

The pictures are great! You have such a cute family.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girldreamer02 View Post
Poor pal mickey...first you buy him cheap batteries and then he dosen't get a shirt...your going to give him the wrong impression. Loving your report!
You should have seen the screamin deal I got on those batteries. As soon as I popped them in....Pal Mickey started talking like John Coffey from the Green Mile.

"Awful tired now boss......dog tired"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago2disney View Post
You added pictures (I love pictures at Disney World!)
Your T's are great...were they hard to make?
There is definitely a techique to it. It's kind of trial and error so the first go-round was pretty pathetic. We got the directions off Disboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
Did you make your shirts at the DVC at HHI?
Nope....home sweet home

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
The pictures are great! You have such a cute family.
Thanks....obviously the kids take after Tinkershell

Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

I discovered your TR last night -- just finished getting caught up this morning -- and I love it! Great job!

Looking forward to the rest!

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Maxwell42
Earning My Ears

OK, I'm normally just a lurker, but I can't resist making a comment here. And I hope that you can see that I don't mean this in a negative way at all.

I had a female friend in college who made an observation about soap operas. (I just had to trust her on this - I have no personal experience there.) She said that you could tune one in on a Monday and see a person get shot, and then tune in again on Friday and see the ambulance arrive. Such is the passage of time in soap opera world. (Can ya see where I'm going with this?)

I first discovered your TR shortly after you started it, and I could tell right off the top with the paraphrasing of Don McLean that it would be entertaining. But then for some reason I either forgot about it or just avoided it. I guess maybe I was giving you time to write so I could consume it all at once and not have to be strung along, waiting for the next juicy morsel to drop.

So I come back like a month later, and sure enough, you've written a ton. But you're only on your second day?!! So now I'm hooked, but I'm in the very position I was hoping to avoid...anxiously waiting for the next installment to drop, like some crack addict awaiting his next hit. Or something like that...the literary equivalent thereof. I guess this is like life in the days of the serial novel, when dudes like Charles Dickens would publish a chapter a month and take years to get through David Copperfield.

You're not going to take years with this thing, are you?

Seriously, though, I mean all of this as a tribute to your refreshingly humorous writing style. No disrespect to anyone else on these boards, but it's nice to see the effort you put into making this TR entertaining as well as informative. One of the reasons I've never considered doing one of these is because I hesititate to think that total strangers might care about what my family did on vacation, but you're giving me a reason to tune in.

(One of the other reasons I will probably never do one of these is because I would get a little ways into it and then never finish it. But I'm sure I'm alone in that respect...no one else does that, do they?)

Please keep it up, and I'll keep checking in eightteen times a day to see if there's another hit waiting for me. I promise. Like I have a choice now.

BTW, can I have the number for that therapist?
December 15-22, 2010 - Coronado Springs

Last edited by Maxwell42; 05-22-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I found it!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1093708

post 54.

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Connie96
Mouseketeer

Hi Peter. You had me at the Introduction. Subscribing and going back to catch up.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie96 View Post
Hi Peter. You had me at the Introduction. Subscribing and going back to catch up.
Welcome Connie96.......hopefully you've got a little free time on your hands.....because you've got some work ahead of you. Great timing though.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Peter Panic Attack

Chpt 45 - Heading for home (Part One)

Well, it’s true what they say.....all good things must come to an end......except the Simpsons.....and Dick Clark apparently. I believe it was the great British leader Winston Churchill who said “This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.” or was that Frank Churchill, the American composer who wrote most of the music for the 1937 Disney movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarves....I always get those two mixed up. Well, in either case......huh? Because...on the surface it sounds good but......whoop dee do Basil, what does it all mean?

Anyway, we got up the next morning and started to cram all of our scattered belongings back into suitcases. Is it just me......or was packing more fun the first time around? The plan was to take our luggage down to the POFQ bus area and stow them until we returned later in the day to head to the airport. We were flying home on Frontier.....which was one of the few airlines that didn’t qualify for resort baggage check-in. Unfortunately, I hadn’t realized this until after we had booked the non-refundable tickets. That had been a major blunder on my part.....because I view resort baggage check-in as a gift from heaven. Now, we would just have to check our bags the old-fashioned way.....at the airport.....which I detest.

We still had one days park admission left....because with our Magic Your Way package....the price difference between tickets for seven days versus eight days was like a nickel. Anyway, we decided to use our precious last ticket on the MK.....even though it was a Saturday which is traditionally not good day for the MK.....and even though we could hear a long, sorrowful cry of anguish from Tinkershell’s non-negotiable itinerary....albeit muffled....because it was already packed away in a suitcase full of tie-dye mickeys.

As we got off the bus at MK, we were greeted by another beautiful day. We couldn’t have asked for any better weather on this trip. When we had researched what type of weather to expect at WDW in December.....the feedback had ranged anywhere from short-sleeves and shorts conditions to parkas and snowshoes. Ok.....to be honest....nobody suggested we would need snowshoes. I just wrote that because I liked the mental picture. Anyway, our whole week had been in the 70's and 80's....which was not only a great era for music.....it also made for some very pleasant park touring conditions. So, I guess Tinkershell hadn’t needed all of those winter gloves she had packed after all.....or the knit hats......or the snowshoes.

As we strolled up Mainstreet USA, we paused to listen to the barbershop quartet sing Jingle Bells. Honestly......and I realize I’m preaching to the choir here....but where else on earth are you going to find this type of stuff? Believe me, I understand that WDW is not for everybody. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this crazy little journey called life, it’s the fact that people come in all shapes and sizes......and personalities.....especially personalities. I know loads of people that have no chance of ever truly enjoying WDW the way that I do. They’re moving too fast....and their too concerned about impressing the people around them. After a vacation, they want to set up a picture in their office of them scaling a volcano.....or conquering a large fish. They’re not interested in a framed 8 X 10 glossy of them in a tie-dye t-shirt.....throwing their arm around Goofy like he’s and old college buddy. Thankfully, for my family, WDW fits us like a glove. Besides.....with the introduction of photoshop.... I’ve got all those cool pictures in my office anyway....plus some even better ones......like me on top of Mt Everest sharing a celebratory cigar with Mini Me and Dr. Evil. I get tons of comments on that one.

Anyway, we were just soaking it all in as we headed for Toontown. For you see, we hadn’t been to Minnie or Mickey’s house yet....and my mother had raised me better than to enjoy a week at WDW without thanking the host....and hostess. Speaking of Hostess......have you ever tried one of their fruit pies? I’m telling you, they’re surprisingly tasty....once you get through that age-hardened pastry shell. You know....it just occurred to me that...in many ways...people are like Hostess fruit pies. They both have an outer shell that you have to work through...in order to get to the goodness beneath. That's about as far as you should take the comparison however. If you try to package a person in one of those air-tight wrappers.....you're going to end up with a fairly unpleasant legal situation on your hands.....because when it's all said and done....people are not fruit pies.

Ok....so where were we? Ah yes....Toontown. First, we took a quick tour of Minnie’s place. “Have you remodeled recently Minnie? Because, I don't remember everything being quite so pink. I mean....would it kill ya to throw in a couple of earth tones every now and again? Honestly....my eyes are watering here.” Anyway....after waiting a couple of minutes for our vision to return.... we headed next door to Mickey’s house....which I feel incorporates a much more visually pleasing color palette.

I complain about Minnie....yet Woobie is dressed in almost identical colors. Ironic...isn't it.

They told us at the house that Mickey was out back in his big tent. I’ve always been surprised by the fact that Mickey has such a big tent in his backyard....it seems a little ostentatious to me....and, therefore, totally out of character....because Mickey comes off as very "down to earth" for such a big celebrity. Anyway, he was kind enough to take a couple of pictures with us....which was nice. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't joked about his tent....and whether he was compensating for something....because he abruptly dismissed us in icy silence. What? Nobody got all bent out of shape when Shrek said it. Anyway, Tinkershell said I've really got to learn to keep my big yapper shut.

A happier time....before security arrived.

Next up: Chpt 46 - Heading for Home (Part two)

Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
hucifer
The tag that was here was staler than 3 yr old bread crumbs
The Van Halen song "Running with the Devil" was about my parakeet!
Smell anything? It's just my sauerkraut

Quote:
Is it just me......or was packing more fun the first time around?
It's not just you, my friend. Packing to go home royally sucks.

Quote:
We were flying home on Frontier.
I've flown them once. I have no complaints about the airline, except the whole time I expected them to shout out, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeee HAW! Welcome, pardner, to Frontier Airlines. The roughest, toughest, wildest ride in the sky."

Quote:
I view resort baggage check-in as a gift from heaven.
Because it is, Peter. It is.

Quote:
Now, we would just have to check our bags the old-fashioned way.....at the airport.....which I detest.
That was an old gift from Hades.

Quote:
the price difference between tickets for seven days versus eight days was like a nickel.
That is the work of those evil marketing geniuses...they know how to rope you into buying a eighty-day pass.

Quote:
Anyway, our whole week had been in the 70's and 80's....which was not only a great era for music.....it also made for some very pleasant park touring conditions.
The 80s had the best music, no question. Ahh, the early days of MTV...when they actually played music...we were so young then.

Quote:
like me on top of Mt Everest sharing a celebratory cigar with Mini Me and Dr. Evil.
Now THAT'S a picture worth posting.

Quote:
people are like Hostess fruit pies. They both have an outer shell that you have to work through...in order to get to the goodness beneath. That's about as far as you should take the comparison however. If you try to package a person in one of those air-tight wrappers.....you're going to end up with a fairly unpleasant legal situation on your hands.....because when it's all said and done....people are not fruit pies.
Well, that took up a whole paragraph.

Quote:
In hindsight, I wish I hadn't joked about his tent....and whether he was compensating for something....because he abruptly dismissed us in icy silence.
Yeah, he doesn't really care for Freudian humor, I unfortunately discovered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: