Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
saturday97
Illegally Blonde
My Dream Disney Resort would be a Castle Resort!

Reactions to Are you 23? Announcement

Meh.

I'm a bit underwhelmed.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
mandymommy4
DIS Veteran

Not interested........ I have already spent a ton of money (AP holder for many years and now my family of 6 have them) and don't feel like spending another $75 to be considered a real fan..... it's kinda insulting actually!

Last edited by mandymommy4; 03-10-2009 at 09:27 AM.
mandymommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymommy4 View Post
Not interested........ I have already spent a ton of money (AP for all my life and now my family of 6 have them) and don't feel like spending another $75 to be considered a real fan..... it's kinda insulting actually!
I think they can tell I'm a big enough fan by the amount of money I already spend on their company!!!

I too feel like this isn't really something for their fans, but a new money making gimmick! Makes me feel a bit sick!

wishspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

I like the magazine but other than that...... oh well now I won't be able to buy an overpriced polo with some embroidery on it.

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
cobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
saturday97
Illegally Blonde
My Dream Disney Resort would be a Castle Resort!

If it was required to be a member to attend the expo, I'd probably sign up. I'm really curious about the event.

Otherwise, the merchandise didn't really do much for me. It's nice, but as I said before, meh.

The magazine seems like it would make a nice collectors item, but I really miss the old Disney magazine. It was fun and had great info.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

I'm more than a little disappointed. I would have preferred for it to be an online thing where you paid X dollars and were able to download 23 movies during 23 months. Personally I feel that the things that they are offering "D23" members should already be done for AP holders.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon

Last edited by LilGMom; 03-10-2009 at 07:58 AM.
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Mouse Skywalker
The Force is strong with this Podcast Correspondent

Big deal...

2010 WDW Half Marathon; Mickey's Halloween 5K; Wine&Dine Half Marathon
2009 WDW Half Marathon; Muddy Buddy Orlando 2008 Inaugural Exp Everest Chall
2007 Marine Corps Marathon 4:28:50 PR (Thanks again WISHers!)
2007 WL WDW Marathon 5:05.08 (Thank you WISH Racing Team!)
Mouse Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Thumbs down are you 23? not so much

I agree, ho hum, I can get the magazine at Barns and noble if I want to. I know that I am not going to California, I don't need a little card or certificate. I wish there was more details because if this is it, I don't need it. I am a little bummed. On the other hand a pen for $850.00 is so what I was looking for...

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
LuccaDrake
DIS Veteran

D23 Membership? $74.99

Limited-Edition Walt Disney Signature Executive Collection Pen? $849.95

Throwing down $74.99 on a membership for the privilege of purchasing an $849.95 pen? PRICELESS!

1983-1994 - Offsite (Dave as child)
1997 - Offsite (Beka as teenager)
2006 - POP
2007 - ASMu
2008 - CSR
2010 - POFQ
2012 - CSR
2013 - POP (April)
2013 - CSR (December)
2014 - POP for Food & Wine!
LuccaDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
disneygal1
Earning My Ears

For years I have considered myself a huge Disney fan. I don't visit the parks as often as some of you, but I try to keep myself fully informed through the internet (articles, podcasts, blogs, forums). I think the idea is good one but having to pay to be an official "Disney Fan" is quite saddening. $75 is 3/4 of my families weekly grocery bill. I can't tell my kids they can't eat for a week because Mommy wants to be recognized as a official fan of her favorite place ...ever.

I was really saddened by this. Hey Disney... not all your fans have deep pockets... what those of us lack in dollars...make up with LLLOOOVVVEEE for the Disney company and brand. I joined the Disney Mom's Club for free and got a box full of magnets, a mousepad, etc... Why can fans sign up for free and be considered an "official fan"? I don't need the magazine (I'd love it but don't really need it), but a simple paper certifcate or magnet would be nice!
disneygal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
DISengineer
DISengineer

Angry marketing manages to mess things up again

When I first heard about RU23 I kept getting it mixed up the controversial day after pill RU 487. I thought Disney is really branching out. Actually now that I know what it is I am not surprised. I can picture some earnest pro fan Disney employees first proposing an official community on line. The MBA's in marketing then thought how we make money on this. Not the long term kind that will ensure our future and insure our future if we do something free for the fan base now but the short term kind that will guarantee a short term profit and increase our bonuses. Volia! RU23 is created.

At least they could give a perk like a once a year tour of the Disney archives or a free behind the scenes special tour. The brain trust at Disney has managed to pluck loss from the jaws of gain once again.
DISengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
DanMedix
DIS Veteran

Count me in as another that sees no value in this whatsoever. There are more, better, and more down-to-earth Disney fans on HERE, and we get to share the love for free, everyday! Heck, we're already better, more personable, and much more fun than D23, and we don't need expensive pens to prove it! (Yes, DIS, I love yoooooo!)

The more I look at it, the more I think that it's the Disney heads that are drinking the kool-aid. Perhaps instead they should smell what they're shoveling?....
Day-Trip : EPCOT (10/92) / POFQ(7/94) / ASMu(11/01) / Day-Trip: Animal Kingdom (6/03) / CSR (11/04) / POP (10/07) / POP(11/08) THE STORY SO FAR: 2008 (with incomplete afterwards-link ) / POP(..yes, again!) 10/12 PTR HERE! / COMING SOON: POR (5&6/14)! Octonauts.....let's do this!
DanMedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

IMHO Disney have not addressed the main concerns that peeps have stated.
As John suggested some time back the best way to let Disney know what you think is to write and tell them

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
grizbuzz
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to provide an update on the D23 feedback I sent to Disney by email.

I got the following response email today (5/28) - more than 2 months after I sent original email.

Dear Disney Guest,

Thank you for your recent email.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to convey your thoughts to
us. The Walt Disney Company prides itself in providing quality
entertainment and merchandise for all and we will continue to make every
effort towards achieving that goal.

We look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,
(Individual's First Name)

The DisneyStore.com Team

Ironically, I have since joined D23. All it took was one local event (opening of Walt Disney museum at the SF Presidio) to get me to sign up. Let's see if it's worth it...

Me DH DS (9) DS (7)
grizbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
NWOhioAngela
DIS Veteran

It's nice that they (finally) wrote back, but did they address anything you mentioned in your email to them? It seems like a pretty generic response.
NWOhioAngela is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: