Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Secretly Plotting and PTR-ing – words from a Minnie-Come-Lately 7/7 TR STARTED!!!

SO. After much deliberation, lurking, and vicarious posting on other DISer’s PTRs, I have succumbed. Nothing like facing your personal demons head on! I can think of numerous less “magical” things to do with my time – but, well, why? I think I can manage to sustain it for the 100 day count down until our trip in June. Actually, it is a little over 100 days, but it is snowing, and to celebrate our snow day off school, and the fact that everyone in my DisFam is now napping after a play date in the snow, I am taking the first step, err… post. Photos will be forthcoming, as soon as I read up on the “how to”…
Okay, let’s do this!

I hope you'll join me!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *

Last edited by Happydog; 07-07-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Background... and there is a lot of it...

I am a Johnny-come-lately, closet-Disney freak (okay, “enthusiast” is the proper term, or so I have been told ). I have only recently admitted my fascination with open arms. Prior to this admission, my DH and I had been on Disney vacations, but these were with my DBIL, and always we’d laugh and snort at his frequent and elaborate Disney trips. But only recently have I come to appreciate the full appeal of the place. And what has turned me into a believer? Well, in part, you guessed it….

Children!

My DH still snorts about my giddiness, but secretly enjoys our trips as well. Though he rolls his eyes about how much time I spent prepping for the most recent trip (Nov08) and am currently spending for the upcoming one (June09), he relishes the challenge of getting the most out of Disney, dollar-wise. For instance, on our first trip with the DP, he loved the fact he could get lobster rolls with a snack credit, “that is an $8.00 snack! … lets get three!” (I kid you not…) He loved reminding me about that extra $4.00 value per snack credit the WHOLE trip.

Perhaps the other thing we have both come to appreciate is the “Disney Magic”. We used to be HS theater directors. And consequently we have a great appreciation for the art of Disney, the décor, the details, the staging -- the theater of it. It really amazes me, hidden Mickey’s and all. I like the aesthetic elements and the attention to detail. Our first few trips we spent time enjoying these aspects fully, the FWF, a Cruise, traveling as adults with other adults. These early trips felt like vacations.

Then we had kids.

Our first trip with children was staged as a diversion for our then 3 year old, four mos. after his little brother had arrived on the scene. I thought, “What a great idea! Destroy his life with a baby brother, but we’ll take him to Disney World and he’ll forget all about it.” It mostly worked. Mostly. We went with reinforcements. Though we had lost half of our brain cells by this time, with the arrival of baby#2 , we were at least forward-thinking enough to invite my MIL and DH’s grandmother. We rented points from a DVC owner for a 2 bedroom villa at WL. My BIL came down and stayed at the WL separately. We were able to leave the baby at times with my MIL, or take everyone and have them watch him in his stroller while we rode rides, etc. After putting our two boys to bed, we could go out for dinner with my DBIL since we had baby care. We had Park Hoppers, and with the FWF going on, we ate and drank our way around the WSC. It was a trouble-free trip. Traveling with kids is easy, I foolishly thought.

The second trip happened three years later. This past November, to be exact. About the end of August, DH started to plan a “surprise” anniversary trip to NYC to see the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade and to see a few shows, etc. I inadvertently found out – probably had nothing to do with the NYC sites “saved” under “My Favorites” - so when the surprise was up he then asked “what would you like to do for our anniversary?” I said, honesty, I want to go to Disney World again, with the boys. He almost choked, but then he said “if it’s what you want… figure it out, and I will work on airfare.” Yippee!!! I didn’t have a clue where to start at that point, so I went online to look. At the time they were running a special rate for Nov, but starting the process in Sept didn’t leave much available. Nothing at AKL or WL, so we signed up for POFQ… Never staying at a Mod, we figured it would be fine, and certainly less $$ than we had anticipated. So we got the resort, the DDP, and the tickets. Now last time we had rented points from a DVC owner, and so with a resort reservation in place, I logged back onto the DIS board for the first time in two years, to see about renting points. This is when we discovered something called “Jersey Week”. There was nothing available. Zip. We did get a few calls, but no one could get us the dates we needed. Then right in the 30 window, we got an email from an owner renting her booking at SSR for that very week. We took it. Disney didn’t charge me for the changed reservation b/c we were still staying on property, and we needed one night extra anyway. So rather than move from POFQ to SSR, we just added our extra night at SSR, and cancelled at POFQ completely. With that one day, we got our 8 day tickets, and the DDP through DVC. We were set! Not knowing the trials and tribulations of getting ADRs, I called at what I now realize would be a 90 day window… we got ADRs at Artist Point, Crystal Palace, The Wave, Mama Melrose, Sci-Fi, and Boma. I got exactly what I wanted. We did mostly TS for dinner, except the CP as a late breakfast /brunch. I started pouring over information, making copies, reviewing websites, and constructing a plan for us. I knew nothing about tour plans or anything like that. I picked days based on the Early EMH, knowing our kids are so young, and are always up at the crack of dawn anyway. From the stories I had read about, it seemed to me that we were coming out of this pre-trip experience fairly unscathed... So the day after Halloween, we left for the World... Talk about frying pan into the fire ...

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *

Last edited by Happydog; 03-02-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: needed title
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Happydog
DIS Veteran

A pause from the Narrative

I realize some of you might be asking, okay who is this random woman with too much time on her hands, so let me take a minute and tell you!

Me = a 38 yr old mom of 2. I work in education. Was a teacher for 10+ yrs, then moved into administration...

DH = 37yr old SOON to be 38 (June 18th Bday on trip) he is a He teaches HS Theater and Film.

DS 6 = soon to be 7 June 12th

DS 3 soon to be 4 June 3rd

We have a dog too...

Again, photos coming, photos coming! I just have to figure out how to do it OH! That, and adding my PTR to my signature, so maybe, just maybe, someone will read and respond to my ramblings.... .... Please?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Happydog
DIS Veteran

A few photos!

Okay, so here are a few pics to go along with the background -- I will post current pictures next...

First, the castle in 2005, it was the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" -- I just saw that!

Next me, DMIL and DH's Gma, with the two boys. Note DS 3 is almost 5 mos here. DS 6 was 3 and is passed out at the end of a day of water play. This was at Typhoon Lagoon, after which we piled into the rental and drove to the airport.

Next, just a few of me and DS 6 DH and I took him to MK one day, and DMIL stayed back at WL with the baby.

Here he is with DH -- this was actually the final night of our trip, one last time at MK.. It is a little dark in the photo.

This is DBIL and Me, trying to con DS6 into taking a picture with Eeyore (his favorite character) Remember he was only 3 at the time, but he wanted nothing of it, We are soaking wet, btw, after a ride on Kali River... good grief, were were wet! It took all day to dry out!

Last edited by Happydog; 04-26-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Happydog
DIS Veteran

“But we only have 6 minutes to get across the park before our fast pass expires!”

We touched down in Orlando on Sat, Nov 1st. It was an early evening flight, so we pretty much expected to get settled and get some sleep before our first day. We had never stayed at SSR, and were a little nervous about being so far away from all the action. That being said, I actually really liked SSR -- it isn't too "themish", but it was very pleasant, and the boat to DTD and the walking path, were great. This trip was the first time we were relying exclusively on ME and busses for transportation to and from the park and between parks. BUT, we figured thousands of people do it, so we could, too. On the DIS, I had started to read horror stories about “Jersey Week” -- it took me a while to even figure out what that meant – Frankly, and I am going to go out on a limb here, I think it is one big urban legend. The crowds we experienced didn't surprise us, except at TSM in DHS . I didn’t have any expectations regarding crowds, and if I didn’t know there was such a thing as Jersey Week, I would have been none the wiser. It was maybe less busy on our previous trip – in October 05, but really, I didn’t deem the crowds noteworthy -- which has me hopeful for our June trip! The only funny “Jersey Week” story I have is that any show or event we went to, where there was audience participation, whenever they asked the guest where they were from, it was a rolling joke b/c they were always from, you guessed it: New Jersey. No offence if you come from the Garden State, btw!

Now the trip was during the YOMD, and I had heard lots of stories about it -- and I have a fun story to share. Our first day at the World was at MK. I love MK. It is the “Disney” park in my mind. Taking our two boys there that first morning, we got the early bus, had seats for everyone, didn’t lose out on a bus b/c of crowded/full busses as I heard was a problem at SSR, and we arrived just at rope drop. We had a FP plan, for Space Mountain and for Winnie the Pooh, and we met up after riding both and the Tea Cups. We then went right to Toon Town which opened a little early. We went to Goofy’s Barnstormer b/c everyone could ride that. We got off the ride, and there waiting for us was the DREAM TEAM! They gave us each a Dream FP. Well, we were ecstatic, of course, but went right back onto Goofy’s since there was not a line. And when we got off, again, they were still there. We said “Thank you, but you just gave us a set,” and they said they were obligated to stay there and hand them all out, so what do you think they did? They gave us ANOTHER set. SO now we had two sets of Dream FPs, plus our own ticket FPs we could get. We were in FP heaven to say the least. It made the trip, and it definitely made our time at MK that first day delightful. With DS3 not being tall enough to ride Space Mtn, DS and DH and I took turns riding it 6 times that day. Talk about spinning.

The rest of the trip was good, we had a good time, but regrettably, looking back at that trip I can honestly say it was a blur. I was definitely caught up by the “must fill every minute” syndrome. I see how easy it is to get that way. The trips prior were very different, but this time I was so excited to go and experience everything with the kids, that I didn’t get to enjoy it. Kinda like the Dumbo-or-Die tour plan! My husband was also finishing a grad class, and he was distracted by that the whole week (trying to get a paper written in the evenings after the kids had passed out). I am embarrassed to say that we didn’t even use the pool, once! And regarding photos? Well, it was probably fitting that a few days after we returned, I inadvertently cleared the camera card that had our Disney trip photos... I have ONE photo. Which I will post later... Now I am not one to cling to photos of a trip or get consumed with taking them on vacations -- I often am too involved in the vacation, but I was pretty sad I lost these. It was my younger DS's first trip, afterall. BUT I got over it, and after reading other PTRS these past few months, it seems to me that many of us have had a trip like this, and then we seek to make the next trip different. Better. And that is where I was about two months ago…

Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
UsNew2Disney2008
DIS Veteran - who'd rather be at WDW right now!

Hi there! Thought I would drop by and see what you are up to. Yes, I can relate to the fill every stinking minute. That is what I did last time - and I must admit we didn't wait in lines... but somehow a bit of the magic was lost. This time we are going to take things slower.

The only grumble I still have is over our choice of hotel. We went with CSR - it is our anniversary and we spent our honeymoon on the Mayan Riveria. Plus, we have a budget. I could've MAYBE squished in AKL but I had my heart set on POLY, but that was a bit more (quite a bit) and if I wanted that option we had to wait until 2010 - so, guess what I picked?

How did you like WL?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsNew2Disney2008 View Post
Hi there! Thought I would drop by and see what you are up to. Yes, I can relate to the fill every stinking minute. That is what I did last time - and I must admit we didn't wait in lines... but somehow a bit of the magic was lost. This time we are going to take things slower.

The only grumble I still have is over our choice of hotel. We went with CSR - it is our anniversary and we spent our honeymoon on the Mayan Riveria. Plus, we have a budget. I could've MAYBE squished in AKL but I had my heart set on POLY, but that was a bit more (quite a bit) and if I wanted that option we had to wait until 2010 - so, guess what I picked?

How did you like WL?
OH! I am so HAPPY
Someone is actually staying awake after reading my rambles!!! It is okay if you skim... I can gab and gab and gab...

RE CSR, You know I have never stayed there, but my DBIL, who does Disney quite often, has stayed there and at CBR, and he said CSR was very nice. They have made a lot of upgrades to the rooms I hear.. there is a really good link to the "offical CSR thread" on the resort page, have you seen it? The "owner" of that thread really sells the resort! Mayan Riviera ?!?! Wow. Sounds beautiful. I have only been to Puerto Vallarta... Regarding the resorts, I hear you on the cost-factor. I was thinking if we tried to go at Thanksgiving or Christmas some time, that would be where we may stay (to keep costs down for my parents who might join us). Or rent DVC points. I am excited to go back to WL. I have only my experience a few years ago to go on, but when we were there in Nov, we went to dinner at Artist Point, and reminded ourselves how much we enjoyed it. My next post is about our June trip. And we are celebrating birthdays, too!

Keep writing on your PTR... I like reading everyones stories!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Happydog
DIS Veteran

REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY big news.....

Can you guess?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

What??? What???
Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Did you do the math? Are you going deluxe?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Uhhhhhhhh.....

NO. No DlxDDP. Sorry!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

CP, you have been known to make changes to your countdown ticker...

SO...

Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Subscribing. I love seeign what others are doing for their June trips!! YAY
Old 03-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
Hiya!

I have read your plans and they look great. Congrats! on heading back for Christmas. We have never been for Christmas but plan to go 2010!

Anyhoo, your family is so cute and all those June birthdays! What a great Bday present, a trip to the World!

Looking forward to reading more
HI! Welcome!
Thanks for stopping by! RE Christmas, yes! Very much a surprise, but very much looking forward to it, too! For different reasons, obviously, really happy about June... Birthdays are all in June, it is comical. The 19th of March is by big ADR countdown day! I still have a week! I am going to burst!!! I cant stand the wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsadams View Post
The Yak & Yeti idea is a good one! I've seen pics of the lettuce wrap appie and it easily looks like something that would be good for a light lunch. Getting a nice break from the sun and into some a/c will be worth it at AK!

My DH wasn't interested at ALL in Tutto's. On one of our trips, DH and DS ended up using the bathroom there and so they walked through the restaurant, and DH was NOT impressed. I don't know if they totally changed the decor with the new name and all, but when I had mentioned the Italy TS, DH was like . I haven't even brought up the idea... I was debating just making a ressie there for our one wing it lunch day, but I know that DH and I both are thinking about the yummy swarmee platter at Tangeriene...

I'm just reading all over to keep me distracted...I really need to get painting in the powder room. I'm just not too motivated. But I should be. My parents are coming the first week of April!
Ah yes, all those things we are supposed to be doing instead of Ha! I get that!

Re the ADR for Tutto, vs. the Shwarma platter, yeah, YUM on that -- definitely one of our favorites too... Not sure we will even include Tutto's either after all that.... Yak and Yeti might be a "just in case ADR" ... I still have to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
Whew! Your ADRs are making me tired!! LOL! I'm glad you have it pretty much worked out!

I LOVE your binder! I don't take mine into the parks with me, but that looks like the perfect size. Nice Find!
Uh.. making YOU tired!?!?! If I could have made this call a week ago I would have been over it... I still have too much time on my hands since I can't DO anything yet!! I do have it mostly worked out... final edits in the next few days I think... RE Binder, Thanks! Wait till you see what I did to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherines_mama View Post
Subscribing. I love seeing what others are doing for their June trips!! YAY
Hi! -- Me too!! I enjoy seeing what others come up with, their ideas, their special trips, etc... Are you headed to WDW in June?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #14
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Wow! You just started this thing and you already have 6 pages!! I'm along for the ride! Since I spoiled the surprise for my kids, I want to hear about yours.

Just letting you know I made it over here... Now I have to go back and read...
Old 03-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

OK. So. After seeing what you did to the clearance binder thing at Target, I was thinking that I should have done something similar. I went to a couple different Targets searching for some needed closet organization and in my tours of all the clearance end of aisle displays (at two different Targets, I might add) [doesn't EVERYONE love to do that at Target?] I did find that little binder still! Yay! I don't think that I will be taking it to the parks with me. I have a slightly different idea for it, but it was inspired by you!

And btw, there is a TON of Cars stuff in my Target's $1 area. You might want to check it out for your goodie bags. Stickers, small dry erase boards, magnets, etc etc.

I have to say that I totally admire your ability to remain secretive about this trip! I couldn't do it.

I love seeing the pictures.

Getting close to the big ADR day!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: