Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
blestmom
DIS Veteran

-38 degrees again?? Goodbye Alaska…Hello Disney! January 2009 (Updated 4/17)

I love Alaska. I really do. It’s gorgeous here. It’s relatively quiet (except for a short time this fall, when reporters descended upon our little haven like a Brazilian tour group at Rock n’ Roller Coaster…but I digress.) I don’t even mind the cold…really I don’t. I don’t mind plugging my car in at night to ensure it starts in the morning. I don’t mind wearing Ugg boots and gloves in the house. I don’t even mind enduring a measly 5 hours of daylight most days in December and waiting half a day to get studded tires put on my minivan. But day after day after day of -30 degrees gets real old. Real old.

Here is a little bit of what I’m talking about:

Frozen doors at church:

Bundled up to watch the fireworks:

Square-dancing in boots and parka inside because it is so cold:

Thanks to our frequent flyer miles, I booked a trip way back in April for January. This trip marks the first time not all of the kids are going. My oldest son started college, and can’t miss classes. My second oldest son was smack-dab in the middle of basketball season. DH, being a teacher, doesn’t usually go on our Disney trips. He just funds them. What a great guy. He isn’t the Disney enthusiast that I am. I’m also leaving behind my little Jack, a sweet puppy DH got for me for as a surprise.

I’m going to miss him very much. So for this trip, we are the typical “family of four,” except that instead of mom and dad and two kids, it is mom and three kids.

Here’s the cast:

Me: 44 (turning 45 during the trip) a true Disney nut.

DD: 15 a.k.a. “Princess.” Amazingly did very well being away from friends, iPods and Facebook for a whole two weeks.

DD: 12 a.k.a. “Sweetness.” She is, most of the time, a very accommodating and sweet girl.

DS: 10 a.k.a. “Mr. Energy.” You know how toddlers just go, go, go 100 mph, and then just drop? That’s my son…except he’s 10.

Our trip is for 17 days total. I start looking at 10 days for a trip, and keep searching until I find available flights we can get using miles. This time, that means 17 days. Thanks to a great travel agent, I’m able to get an AP rate for the entire stay at POP Century. This is our first time at the hotel, and we are really excited.

We have to leave in the middle of the night, since the airport is 1-1/2 hours away. I say goodbye to the boys (sniff, sniff…that was sad and hard) and then stay up. I didn’t want to risk falling asleep and missing the flight. We get to the airport 2 hours early. Flights down were great. 3-1/2 hours for the first flight, and 5-1/2 hours for the second.

Flying over Alaska:

Remember the good old days, when they actually fed you on the plane? For these long flights especially, food was not only necessary, but a welcome diversion from boredom. Just arranging the food, and the napkin, and opening the little packet with plastic silverware, gave you something to do for about half an hour. I even loved the little paper sack bags with cold sandwiches they had a few years ago. Now, you don’t get anything. Zippo, nada, zilch. Since we were flying all day, literally from before breakfast until long after dinner, I did get the kids snack packs. They were pretty good.

We also rented digE players, again to help with boredom. I watched a good movie, “Alvin and the Chipmunks” and a really bad movie.

We got into Orlando early, and had no trouble finding Magical Express. The airport was pretty empty. We retrieved our own luggage, since we were getting in so late (10:30 p.m.) and wanted to have our stuff for the night. We loved Magical Express! (I was going to post a picture of my girls on the bus, but my older daughter made a ‘peace’ sign for the camera, and my younger daughter did too. Except part of her hand in hidden behind the seat in front of her, and you only see half of the sign. The wrong half. So, I’ll have to work with Photoshop on that one.)

Checking into Pop Century was easy too. Again, there was hardly anyone else there. I was disappointed to find out that the building I had requested wasn’t available. They did tell me, however, that if I was willing to switch rooms in the morning, I could have a room in the building I wanted for the rest of our stay. Yippee!

We dropped our stuff off at our room, and then went to explore the hotel. It was almost midnight, but we were so excited! Pop Century is a great resort. We absolutely loved it there.

We didn’t unpack everything, since we’d be switching rooms in the morning. Finally, we did go to bed. It had been a wonderful first day.

Next Installment: How Much Chocolate Can We Consume In One Day?

Last edited by blestmom; 04-18-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Disney+steak=awsome
Earning My Ears

Wow

This is a really good trip report, can't wait to read about How Much Chocolate you Can Consume In One Day!
My favorite part was the joke about the "Brazilian tour group at Rock n’ Roller Coaster"

Good work Blessed keep it up.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Buddiebo
Earning My Ears

Love the start of your trip report and can't wait to read the rest!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I'm on board!!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I'm in. Can't wait to read more.

The shot from the plane of Alaska is so pretty!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

subbing here, too! pics are super...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Great start!!! Wonderful pics!!!! I love TRs that include pics. Loved your RNR joke and so true too! Am anxiously waiting to hear more.

Sisters, Sisters...December 2012 TR...BWV & VWL
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Dolce27
It's kind of hard to ride with someone when your on vacation by yourself
I knew that impulsive decision would come back to haunt me!

woo-hoo! I'm jealous of the 17 days! Alaska looks beautiful. I may visit sometime but there is no way that I'd move to some place that cold.

Can't wait to read more of your report.

and the chocolate is making me hungry!

Last edited by Dolce27; 02-23-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

And I was there, too! I rode TT, Maelstrom, Gran Fiesta, ate an almond something-or-other at the bakery in France....we were stalking each other!

Great report and gorgeous pictures. I loved the weather.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #10
Disney+steak=awsome
Earning My Ears

Keep em coming

Wow you guys look like your having a blast.
Those are some very good pictures you took (are you like a professional photographer).
Any ways I can't wait to read the next part of your trip report.

Might I suggest telling "pricess" to stop gorging on chocolate so much(it shows)
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I love all the chocolate...gotta love vacation!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney+steak=awsome View Post
Wow you guys look like your having a blast.
Those are some very good pictures you took (are you like a professional photographer).
Any ways I can't wait to read the next part of your trip report.

Might I suggest telling "pricess" to stop gorging on chocolate so much(it shows)

Golly, I wish chocolate would show as well on me as it does 'priNcess' - she's as skinny as a ballet dancer...oh, in fact, she IS a ballet dancer....

Keep the chocolate going - and your pictures are beautiful!!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 3: “Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures” - Part 1

We were up early, and ready to head to the Magic Kingdom. We were surprised how quickly the busses ran from Pop Century. We were there in plenty of time to catch the opening. We then high-tailed it over to the Harmony Barber Shop to get “Mr. Energy” a much needed haircut.

We were the second family in line.

At the end of the haircut, the barber asked if he wanted Pixie Dust in his hair. His answer was, “No way!” So, she grabbed “Sweetness” and gave her the Pixie Dust instead. I thought it looked cute, but “Sweetness” was not thrilled. It took days to get the sticky stuff out of her hair.

We got to see the horses get ready for the horse-drawn carriage.

After that, we headed to Big Thunder

and Splash Mountain. It had been awhile since we had ridden Splash, as it was down for refurbishment the last time we went. Fortunately, it had just reopened from its most current refurbishment. It was great!

Then Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Swiss Family Treehouse. I always thought as a kid it would be so cool to live there.

We then continued on to Carousel of Progress, and we got to meet Stitch.

Next, a ride on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Space Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear.

One recommendation from others here on the DIS was to try the cream cheese pretzel. We got one at the Launching Pad. At first I wasn’t sure about it, but then, I really, really started to like it. Okay, I’m getting hungry right now just thinking about it. I don’t think the kids cared for it much, but yum! It was really good.

At this point, we decided to take a little detour. I had read how fantastic the Kona coffee was at the Polynesian. So, we left the Magic Kingdom, and took the monorail over to the Polynesian. Now, at the exit of the Magic Kingdom, they had a propped up sign on the ground saying “This way to Resort Monorails.” So we went that way, but now, looking back, it was more of a sign directing you out of the park, but long story short, we ended up at the TTA, instead of the direct monorail like I was hoping to get to the Poly. No problem…we’d just walk over.

Well, I didn’t realize just how twisty turvy the paths are over there! We were walking in circles looking for the main building. It was cool to see the resort, though.

“Sweetness” didn’t like all the tiki stuff…kind of creeped her out.
Finally, after walking and listening to “Mr. Energy” lose his energy (and how he was “starving”) we found the main building. We grabbed some lunch at a counter service place there, since the younger two were really tired of walking. Then we went to the Kona Coffee Bar. I had told “Princess” the coffee was so good, it was worth all the trouble. We get up to the coffee bar, and…there is a guy there with a jack hammer, and sign saying “Closed for repair. For coffee drinks, please go to the Kona Café.”

Sigh. Not exactly what I was looking for. So, I go up to the hostess at the Kona Café, and tell her that we were just trying to get two coffee drinks to go, since the coffee bar was closed. She said they didn’t do coffee drinks to go, but if we’d like to sit down, we could order them. I said, “Fine, I guess we’ll do it that way.” So another lady comes to show us to a table, but on the way, stops and shows us each and every dessert and describes them…in detail. By now “Princess” and I are cracking up, because we just wanted a cup of coffee. The waitress comes, and by now I’m feeling very guilty having made such a big deal and wasting everyone’s time. So I tell her we just wanted two coffee drinks, and she asked if we wanted them in to-go cups. Finally, we get the bill, and now I have to add in a tip…those were some pretty pricey coffee drinks!

So we get out of there just as quick as we can. We wanted to head back to the Magic Kingdom and slowly savor our coffee drinks over there, but we think we can’t really walk onto the monorail with them. So “Princess” offers to put them in her purse!

What a couple of gals won’t do for their coffee drinks!

Okay…back at the Magic Kingdom. We decide to split up for a little while. I needed to go get the balance of my Disney Rewards added to my card. The girls go ride Big Thunder and Space Mountain.

“Mr. Energy and I watch the new parade.” We got lucky…we had been at Guest Services and when we came out, the parade was just coming around. Since we hadn’t gotten there early, I was happy to just stand in the back and watch. But there was a garbage can up front that no one was around, so we went over there, and could see great.

Last edited by blestmom; 02-28-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 3: "Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures" - Part 2

Over in Frontierland, “Mr. Energy” got to try the Shootin’ Gallery. He did great!

After that Mr. “Energy” and I went on Snow White

and Pirates before meeting up with the girls again. Together we went on It’s a Small World

and the Haunted Mansion,

and Pirates of the Caribbean again.

Then, it was time to meet our DIS friends…“debbieandroo,” “Soarin,” and “mrsdon.” I wasn’t exactly sure how we were going to recognize each other (except that Soarin told me what she was going to wear). I’m so glad she did, because I found her right away, then the other two found us. Our first choice of Columbia Harbor House (my favorite Magic Kingdom restaurant) was closed, so we went over to Cosmic Rays. It was so fun to meet other DIS members! “Mr. Energy” lived up to his name by talking a lot…to everyone. “Sweetness” fell asleep, and “Princess” took advantage of the time to text friends back home (typical teenager). We got to visit for a long time, and then, all too quickly, it was time to go.

Once it was dark out, we went on Jungle Cruise and Aladdin’s Magic Carpets.

Then it was time for the fireworks. I’ve watched them from Fantasyland before (didn’t really care for that…too crowded) and from the bridge going to Tomorrowland (that was a pretty cool location.) But this time, we just happened to be on the quieter walkway in the back between Adventureland and Frontierland…kind of by Liberty Square.

We loved it from over there! No one was there. The Liberty Riverboat was so pretty.

My kids aren’t all that into fireworks, so they kind of ran around and had fun in the area, and I got some really pretty pictures. That area in Frontierland is my favorite in the entire park. I just love, love, love it there.

We were in no hurry to leave, so we slowly walked through the park, around Frontierland to Adventureland, taking pictures.

We went to the Ice Cream parlor and got ice cream….yum…

and watched the “Kiss Goodnight.”

Then, it was time to leave. What a great day at the Magic Kingdom!!
We took the bus back, and got to Pop Century. The younger kids went swimming, and then we were all ready to get some sleep.

Tomorrow: No way…..from Wasilla? Really??
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
hill6
DIS Veteran

Great review so far. Can't wait for the rest.

Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani May 5-10 Savannah View Studio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: