Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
pmama
DIS Veteran

Which way to Disneyland? TR (comparison update 7/26)

TR started!! If you are just joining me for the Trip Report post 1 and 5 are a good introduction to us and this trip.
Coronado Island
Sea World
Sea World at night
Seashells by the Shore
Lost in San Diego Zoo
Hotel Del Coronado
Train to Disneyland!
DTD, Rainforest Cafe
1st Day in Disneyland!
Toontown and Critter Country
Musical Chairs with Alice in Wonderland
Celebrate! Parade
Goodnight Mainstreet Disneyland
Magic Morning
California Adventure
Ariel's Grotto for DD's 5th Birthday!
Afternoon in California Adventure
Disneyland and Pixie Hollow
Snow White's Wishing Well
Amazing Evening
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal part 2
Universal part 3
Final Day
WDW vs DLR
Three generations "Girls Only" Trip

Hello! I told myself that I would not make a TR for this trip but I just couldn't resist. I love sharing all our memories with the only other people who truly understand my obsession with all things Disney.

Here's a photo from our last WDW trip in September 2008!

We became Disney addicts two years ago in October 2007. Since then we returned 11 months later, are visiting DLR 8 months after that, and plan to do WDW and a Disney cruise in December. Here is a link to our Sept. 2008 TR if interested. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1966843

This trip will be me (31 yr old SAHM)
My two daughers 8yo and 4 year old, turning 5 on the trip.
And my dear mother!

DH started with a new company the first of the year and did not want to leave his new job for vacation already. (We are planning a Christmas trip to WDW 2009.) So at about only 90 days out I called my Dear Mother and asked if she'd like to go to Disneyland with the girls and I over DD4's birthday. I was surprised at how quickly she jumped on board. Actually, not really surprised. She loves to travel. I am excited but will really, really miss DH.

I chose Disneyland once I discovered how it is literally 1/2 as much for us to fly there rather than Disneyworld. I also discovered how much more resonable accomodations were in DL in May! Finally, we are purchasing the Southern California City Passes which will allow us to see San Diego beaches Sea World, San Diego Zoo, 3 days DL and CA, and Universal!! What a great deal.

I have not been to DL since I was 10 years old. Can't really remember it at all. From what I've read it has completely changed in the last two decades anyway. I'm looking forward to California Adventure too!

The trip seems pretty straightforward at first but planning has become rather complicated. I'll get into that later.

But first here is a picture of the girls and I.

My mother is a riot! She is so much fun. The girls love her because she is a goofball just like them. Here are a couple pictures. First the flattering picture.

Then she probably won't appreciate this picture as much but it shows her being the fun Granita that we love! (I'm not sure what she's doing here. I think she's pretending to play the guitar.)

The reason I have named my TR "Which was to Disneyland?" Is because Granita and I have absolutely no sense of direction at all. We go to our local zoo (about an hour away) all the time and get lost almost every time no joke. My father is absolutely terrified about us having free reign over Southern California. We will have a GPS for sure.

This trip has evolved into two special guest that will be joining us for the end of the trip. This will be a surprise to the kids and a special birthday present for DD4 (turning 5). Stay tuned to see who it is.

Last edited by pmama; 07-26-2009 at 11:55 PM.
pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

We loved reading your other TR and my DD5 wants a sister so they can dress up together like your daughters. We loved all the pictures and your girls dresses. My DD5 also wants to do the face painting.

Hope everything goes smoothly this time. Will be tuning in to see how everything goes.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Great pics....looked like you had a fun time!! Can't wait to see & read more!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
We loved reading your other TR and my DD5 wants a sister so they can dress up together like your daughters. We loved all the pictures and your girls dresses. My DD5 also wants to do the face painting.

Hope everything goes smoothly this time. Will be tuning in to see how everything goes.
Oh, thanks for tuning in. Yes, I love the pictures of the girls with their faces painted. I will definitely be avoiding bicycles before this trip. It's nice to have someone hop over from the WDW threads. Seems a little more lonely over here. I wanted to post a link on my previous TR thread and noticed it's been officially closed and you can no longer post on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Great pics....looked like you had a fun time!! Can't wait to see & read more!

Thanks for reading and posting DisNee!!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
pmama
DIS Veteran

Special Guests Surprise!

Okay our girls-only trip will be put to a halt when our special guests arrive but that is perfectly okay with me. After the girls and I booked, DH and I were able to make it possible for him to come up on Wednesday after work and just miss Thursday and Friday before Memorial weekend. I can't wait.

This will be a complete and utter surprise for both the girls and an especially great birthday surprise for DD4 (turning 5)! We haven't quite figured out his grand entrance but I can't wait to see their faces!! And I am SOOOOO glad DH can join us for some of the trip! It just wouldn't have been the same without him. DH loves Disney almost as much as we do.

Flying down with my DH will be his father Papa!! Papa is the best grandpa ever. Honestly. Some of you may be wondering if my mother and DH's father are single, widowed or divorced. No, they are both happily married. Funny how this trip turned out. Papa's wife (DH's mother) is terrified to fly and prefers to stay home with her animals. Granita's DH (my father) will be in Mexico 15 days in March with Granita and will not have anymore vacation time. Both spouses send their blessings.

Now, I truly believe Papa is unlike any other Grandpa alive. He loves both the girls incredibly and would bend over backward for either. Here's a cute testament to that. This picture was taken during my sister's wedding reception. Obviously DD4 had been a flower girl. She was very upset because I was busy doing matron of honor duties and could not take care of her. Papa walked her around the lobby as she cried to sleep on his lap. Adorable isn't it?

Another Papa picture.

To be fair to oldest DD. Here is a picture of her in her flower girl dress.

They will be staying 3 or 4 nights. We all can't decide which night to come back. I've discovered that it is quite a bit more difficult to be travel agent to 6 people representing 3 different immediate families. It's very hard to accomodate everyone's wishes but I'm workin on it.

So, if anyone has any great ideas for surprising the girls with DH let me know! I still haven't even told them we are going to Disneyland with Granita. They are not as familiar with Disneyland so I think I might purchase the official Disneyland book with lots of pictures and have the cd sent to me about Disneyland first to build up their curiousity. That way when I do let them know they will be excited.

Last edited by pmama; 03-20-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
merrrydeath
DIS Veteran

Your daughters are very cute. I also read your previous report on the WDW side(I sometimes pop over there just to get my trip report fix, even though I know nothing about WDW).
merrrydeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Hi!! I just found your PTR!! We are going to WDW the same time you are going to DL!! I also have 2 girls--Ally is 4 1/2 (and loves Ariel, too!) and Claire is 17 months. This will be their first trip and dh and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We are staying at the Polynesian and I can't wait!! I haven't been to WDW since I was a freshman in high school. Oh--and I'm also a former teacher--I taught Kindergarten before Ally was born--now I'm a SAHM. You have a beautiful family!! I just love your family pics from your last trip--where were they taken? I just started my PTR last week--check it out in my siggy!! Now I'm off to bed--I'm up WAY too late!! (these boards can be soooo addicting)
ladybugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
Schools want that money so they will get you any way they can. The Gov doesn't pay for kids that are late or absent to school no matter what the circumstances! It might be time for you to consider homeschool! I love it! I am enroling in k-12 next year. They even provide your kids with their own printer/computer! (And it's free!) I got so sick of all that drama. The kids have more playdates and activities now than ever before because I have TIME to spare. Before they went to school for 7+ hours a day then came home with 2 hours worth of homework. HS is done within 5 hours! And they learn so much more and at a faster rate! You should do it girl! Sure comes in handy when you're planning a Disney vacation!

I can't wait for your Dland TR. I hope you take lots of video and pics so it'll be like I'm there! I hope to get my TR started soon. Right now all the toys at WDW were 35% off. I wish I'd had your number....the costumes for the dolls came to $16, well even less with the extra 10% off! My mom bought the baby a monorail for Christmas. I just happened to have the receipt w/ me. I ended up buying another one...returning it, got my $80 back for it and used the difference to buy him the train set! Can't beat that. I wonder if you order over the phone if you still get the 35% off!? Anyway....if your trip falls within the 90 day return policy bring your receipt and rebuy the My Girl doll. She'll have enough extra to buy an outfit!!!

I'm so glad homeschooling is working for you. I did look into the virtual academy for my youngest dd for kindergarten next year a while back. It does seem like a great program. However, I plan to return to teaching in a couple years when youngest DD is in school full time. I know, too funny huh? I'm a teacher who likes to take my kids out of school for vacation.

I hope DL is having great sales when we are there. DD4 really wants a castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_renfroe View Post
UPGRADE!!!! YAY FOR UPGRADE!!! Congratulations. The place looks beautiful.

Also, good for the girls in making the move to the new room. They are going to LOVE it in the years to come. They are both just so adorable!
Yes, we always said we'd wait till they felt ready for their larger rooms. For the longest time they had no interest. Now, all of the sudden they were ready. I love how much more space and storage it gives them. Cleaner rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Hi!! I just found your PTR!! We are going to WDW the same time you are going to DL!! I also have 2 girls--Ally is 4 1/2 (and loves Ariel, too!) and Claire is 17 months. This will be their first trip and dh and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We are staying at the Polynesian and I can't wait!! I haven't been to WDW since I was a freshman in high school. Oh--and I'm also a former teacher--I taught Kindergarten before Ally was born--now I'm a SAHM. You have a beautiful family!! I just love your family pics from your last trip--where were they taken? I just started my PTR last week--check it out in my siggy!! Now I'm off to bed--I'm up WAY too late!! (these boards can be soooo addicting)
Oh, I did look at your PTR. Your girls are ADORABLE. You are so lucky you found these boards before your first trip. It really helps you plan an amazing vacation. I didn't find them until our 2nd trip to WDW.

We had the photo shoot done at the Poly, so that will be perfect for your family.

My DH and I just had our 10th Anniversary 2 weeks ago. We say that our Disney cruise in December is our 10th Anniversary trip. (Even though it will be closer to our 11th.) I think a cruise will be perfect for alone time as a couple as well as great family time.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
Oh, I did look at your PTR. Your girls are ADORABLE. You are so lucky you found these boards before your first trip. It really helps you plan an amazing vacation. I didn't find them until our 2nd trip to WDW.

We had the photo shoot done at the Poly, so that will be perfect for your family.

My DH and I just had our 10th Anniversary 2 weeks ago. We say that our Disney cruise in December is our 10th Anniversary trip. (Even though it will be closer to our 11th.) I think a cruise will be perfect for alone time as a couple as well as great family time.
Would you mind sharing more specifics on the photo shoot? I haven't been to WDW in awhile and didn't realize they offered this!! TIA!!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
pmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Would you mind sharing more specifics on the photo shoot? I haven't been to WDW in awhile and didn't realize they offered this!! TIA!!

I used to have a great thread in my subscriptions where people posted pictures and current information but I don't have the link any more. It has great info. We went right before they increased the price. At the time if you prepurchased the photopass CD it was only an additional $25. Now I think you still have to prepurchase the photopass CD but I think it's now an additional $75. I haven't kept up w/ that thread so I'm not sure what has changed.

The quality of the pictures is definitely not top notch. We had a lot of dark pictures and our photographer pretty much walked around taking pictures. Not making sure lighting, hair, posses were okay. For the price we paid we loved it. Just to be able to get that many pictures of us all but don't expect a lot of quality picture taking.

There is a direct number but if you can't find it Disney customer service should be able to give it to you. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

Hey! Did you see the new Disneyland deal? Buy 3 get 2 free? Sounds great! I'd love to go there! You're so lucky girl! DOI sounds so cute! You know I love the Incredibles shirts! Like you said, that stands out. Every little girl is a Princess.

Ya know I got all of those little doll outfits this past trip. Not bad for @ $15 after all discounts. One of her AG's is wearing Ariel right now. It is so cute! I hope the toy sale is still on when we go too.

Any definite plans for December yet?

Oh Congratulations on the 10 years! We just celebrated 11 on the 7th!
OneTreeHillAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
I used to have a great thread in my subscriptions where people posted pictures and current information but I don't have the link any more. It has great info. We went right before they increased the price. At the time if you prepurchased the photopass CD it was only an additional $25. Now I think you still have to prepurchase the photopass CD but I think it's now an additional $75. I haven't kept up w/ that thread so I'm not sure what has changed.

The quality of the pictures is definitely not top notch. We had a lot of dark pictures and our photographer pretty much walked around taking pictures. Not making sure lighting, hair, posses were okay. For the price we paid we loved it. Just to be able to get that many pictures of us all but don't expect a lot of quality picture taking.

There is a direct number but if you can't find it Disney customer service should be able to give it to you. Let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks you so much for all of the info!! And Happy 10th Anniversary!!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
pmama
DIS Veteran

update

Well, since I posted last DH and I celebrated our 10th Anniversary.

We had plans to drive about 4 hours away to a wonderful hot spring over the weekend. However, DH's grandma became very sick in the hospital so we were unable to go. Thank goodness Granny seemed to pull through once again. We spent the weekend w/ the girls reflecting on how precious this life of ours is. Of course, our Disney cruise in December will allow us some couple time to truly celebrate our milestone together.

DD8 came home from school mid-day for a SNOW DAY. I keep reading about snow out east but we really had gotten almost none. There is over a foot of snow outside and it's still snowing! Love it. Spring Blizzards are the best. Thankfully DH made it home safe from work.

We went to Disney on Ice a couple days ago. It couldn't have been more fitting. It was titled, "Disney on Ice, a Disneyland Adventure"

Luckily we had heard that The Incredibles were the main storyline. So we of course wore our Incredibles shirts. My DD4 was at first disappointed that she didn't get to dress like a princess like other little girls. But, I told her you were more special since this show will have The Incredibles. Sure enough, once it started she felt pretty special. We also got complements on the attire. We didn't see one other Incredibles shirt there.

These were taken w/ my cell phone.

It was great! It was basically the Incredibles taking a family trip to Disneyland. They had scenes from major rides at Disneyland as the Incredibles were supposedly on the rides. Then the Incredibles had to fight Syndrome to save Disneyland and Mickey and Minnie.

It was a great introduction to Disneyland for the girls. I think it also highlighted how so many of their favorite rides are at Disneyland too. They still don't know they're going.

Well, add Fantasmic being closed for refurb to the list of my disappointments. Rumor has it that it won't open until mid June. I was looking forward to seeing how they do Fantasmic in DL.

Last edited by pmama; 03-26-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

What great fun for you all at Disney on Ice. And I am so glad that you were complemented on the Incredible's shirts. I am sure there were tons of princesses there so your girls were a bright relief.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

OK! All caught up and waiting for more!

I LOVE the pictures you took on the beach of the girls. They are really beautiful snapshots of their childhood that they will cherish when they grow up!!
julezdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: