Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

Dragging a grumpy DH back to the World ~ Single Digits!!

Okay, I'm going to try this again. I've wanted to do one of these, but I'm really bad about updating and remembering about it. I AM GOING TO DO THIS!

TRIP DETAILS:

Who? Me and DH -- it's a miracle I convinced him to go this year!!!

When? Sunday, August 23rd - Saturday, August 29th, 2009

Where? We're staying at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge for five nights and Pop Century for one night.

Airline Tickets? Southwest -- got a GREAT deal...$137/per ticket!!

Car Rental? Enterprise (booked on their website, no codes), $145.10 (tax inc.), Compact

Tickets? Undercover Tourist -- I subscribed to Mouse Savers and got an even better discount...love that site!

UPDATES:

About us
How I convinced DH...
October 2008 trip photos
Grr...Apple (iPod related)
Ways to beat the August heat...
Is my iPod going to be fixed?!
Tour Guide Mike subscription
Airfare watch
Kitties
Winter wonderland
Airfare Watchdog and Yapta
Snow Delay for work!
RIP evil iPod...hello cute, new pink iPod!
Yes, I'm a pin-a-holic!
Pin display board
Counting calories
Past WDW trip photos
Diet - Week 1
New pin
Another new pin
Keith Urban tickets!!
Top ten must dos
Diet - Week 2
Happy Valentine's Day!
Budget
Downgraded to standard room at Pop
Airfare
Sick...boo!
Diet - Week 3
To dine for free, or not?
Airfare update
If we do the DDP...
Diet - Week 4
DH's Birthday
Rental car search
Shopping, shopping, shopping
Pins
Diet - Week 5
Diet - Week 6
More pins!!!
My first tag!
It's been a hard few weeks...
Good news/bad news
We bought our airline tickets...and the Unofficial Guide!
Tentative itinerary -- first attempt
No DDP for us
New Haircut/Highlights
Strongly considering renting DVC points
Upgraded to Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
Renting DVC Points -- the process and the money we saved
Lost Wallet Returns
More Pins!!
Feeding the addiction even more
Planning another WDW trip (December 2009)
Where, oh where are the August park hours?!
Park Hours!!!
Wanted: Nice point & shoot camera
Updates, updates, updates
Memorial Day Weekend -- FINALLY BOUGHT MY CAMERA!!
ADRs
Found a cheaper rental car rate!!
New bag
So the obsession begins...
New ADR -- made online
USPS is evil!
Shopping!!
Baby clothes
Weird trip related dreams
OT: Baby Shower Help
Prayers Needed
Update on Erik
Finally...our itinerary
Food, food and more food!
Packing List
Universal and Updated Itinerary
Itinerary Help!
Which Bag to Bring??

Last edited by WDWRocksMySocks; 08-13-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
WDWRocksMySocks

About Us

Cast of crazies...er, I mean characters:

Kirsten (that's me)
I just turned 26 in December. I'm in denial that I'll be [GASP] 3-0 in just less than four years. I work in the not-for-profit industry, and enjoy it most of the time. I actually got my B.S. in Recreation/Tourism Management, but I'm obviously not using that right now. It sounded good at the time - and it didn't require math to graduate. I'm preparing to take the LSAT in June - I'm sure I'll complain a lot throughout this PTR about it. I love being around kids - especially my nieces and nephews; can be pretty sarcastic - which some people don't understand; love dry humor, but HATE slapstick comedy(unless it has Cary Grant in it); have no concept of an "inside" voice; laugh uncontrollably when I'm nervous; give my opinion very freely - even if it's not requested; can be very blunt (yep, it gets me in trouble); watch the same movies over and over again; hope to own a donkey at least once in my lifetime; can be VERY random at times (as demonstrated by this little blurb); can be extremely indecisive; love to wear heels - even if it makes me tower over everyone else; can't lie very well; think Starbucks is evil; LOATHE bicycle riders - especially when they're on the sidewalk and that pretty much sums it up.

I've been to WDW at least 30 times and I still feel like I haven't been enough times! My first trip was in 1983, when I was just about 3 months old. I still count it, as I attribute this early exposure to the reason I'm currently obsessed. My parents used to take us down each spring break. We always stayed off-site.

In 2005, I did a brief internship at Universal Orlando. I HATED IT. However, I got to go to UO for free, and wound up going over to WDW a bunch of times too. It was during this time I had my first taste of staying on-site. My sister's family came down and stayed at POR and I of course had to spend a few nights with them. I loved it! I couldn't understand why we never had stayed on-site before. I was hooked! Since then, we've stayed All-Star Sports (NOT A FAN -- there was POOP on smeared all over our toilet when we got there and mousekeeping wasn't too willing to clean it up) and Pop Century. While I loved POR b/c of the ambiance and the great swimming area, I have a very close fondness of Pop. I love the location, the rooms are fine, the lake on property is fun to walk around and I love Classic Hall. Plus, Pop is cheap!

Here's an awesome picture of me this past Christmas:

Aaron (wonderfully grumpy DH)
DH is about to turn 27 in February. He could care less about his age. He's a full-time student, and has a crappy PT job he hates. He loves baseball like I love WDW. He's also obsessed w/ Italian food and cheese. He can be pretty grumpy -- especially when he told me to go at least one full day without talking about WDW (psh, like that could actually happen). He doesn't get WDW, but he does go along with it...most of the time. He's a semi-vegetarian who eats some hamburgers and chicken Parmesan from Carrabba's. Other than that, he doesn't like meat. DH is the type of guy who, as soon as he wakes up, immediately turns on ESPN and has to catch up on whatever he missed the night before. He claims he's not a huge fan of other sports other than baseball, but he sure does watch A LOT of ESPN.

Aaron had never been to WDW before he met me. In fact, he had only been to Kentucky and that was it. His family doesn't travel. I knew I would have to break him in! Our first trip to WDW was in 2003 w/ my DSister and DM. It was bittersweet, as it was the first trip since my Dad died. It was really nice to experience something so fun (his first trip) during something that could've been really sad. Aaron thought it was just...okay [GASP]. Of course, that didn't stop me from dragging him back a couple more times.

Here's an action shot of grumpy DH holding our grumpy cat, Bogart:

How we met:
Just b/c I wanted to throw this in. DH and I met on a blind date when we were 19. It was my first ever, and I really didn't want to go. A mutual friend of ours thought we should meet, and I figured he'd keep bugging me about it until I caved. We saw the "Scorpion King" and Aaron and I talked all the way through it. I was amazed that he was so cute and normal (I was use to cads). We started dating soon afterwards and got married four years and a couple months later.

Here's one of my favorite wedding pics:

And just a few random ones...

DH absolutely HATES Epcot.

During our last trip together in December 2007.

Last edited by WDWRocksMySocks; 01-28-2009 at 06:15 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
WDWRocksMySocks

How I convinced DH...

Okay, so DH is not a WDW. He doesn't get it. He thinks the rides are too "kiddy" and he hates Disney characters. But, he does LOVE Florida, Universal Orlando, miniature golf and Giordano's (yep, that's a pizza place). He also enjoys making me happy.

I had been bugging him a lot lately about trying to book a trip before I went back to school. He kept coming up w/ some lame excuses about wanting to go someplace that was NOT Disney. Sad - I know. We actually argued over it a few times because I really, REALLY wanted to go. I figured it would take A LOT of convincing, or perhaps some luck. That's when I started hoping for a pin code offer. The current 4/3 promotion wasn't really beneficial to us b/c we have left over tickets from a previous trip. I thought about free dining, but we don't really eat at a lot of TS restaurants and DH is a picky eater anyway. And...how could he miss eating at Giordano's, Sweet Tomatoes and Flippers??

So...a few weeks ago I opened up my email and found the elusive 40% pin code waiting for me!!!!!! Needless to say, I was beyond excited. I knew this was my chance to win DH over. I was right! We figured out the only dates that we could go was the last week of August - right before classes started back up for him. I was hoping for December, as I love Christmas at WDW. But, I could deal with August...I mean, it's going to be H-O-T, but I'm going to be at WDW!!!!!!

We wound up getting a preferred room at Pop Century for $65/nt (including tax). How sweet is that?! I put a request in for a king, so I'm hoping for the best.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
WDWRocksMySocks

October Trip Pics

My sister and I celebrated her 33 birthday at WDW back in October. It was the first time I'd been around Halloween time. We went to MNSSHP and had a blast! We loved dressing up and trick-or-treating was so much fun. I went as one of the HM stretching room portrait ladies and my sister was a pirate wench.

I can't remember her name, but we met the woman who sits out by the HM during MNSSHP -- she was awesome!

I was BEYOND excited. I found one of my HG pins from a trader at DTD. SWEET!!

Don't mind my incredibly creepy face...I adore Stacy and Aaron is terrified of her for some reason.

What rope drop looked like at DHS on Sunday, 10/12 (the day before Columbus Day). I love the expression of the guy in the lower right corner.

SSE -- I love how my sister's Mickey ears were apart of this pic.

I just love the reflection in this pic.

Last edited by WDWRocksMySocks; 01-26-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Love the pre TR so far. I was at DHS that Sunday but didn't think it looked that crowded. We got there right after the rope drop.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
WDWRocksMySocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
Love the pre TR so far. I was at DHS that Sunday but didn't think it looked that crowded. We got there right after the rope drop.
Welcome...and thanks! I'd say all those people rushed right over to TSM as soon as possible. It was insane! I walk fast, but that was a bit much. I think it might look worse than it was b/c we somehow managed to get up to the very front of the line (for rope drop). I was determined to ride TSM!!! That ride is so fun.

Did you do MNSSHP while you were there?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Beka
Goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRocksMySocks View Post
So...a few weeks ago I opened up my email and found the elusive 40% pin code waiting for me!!!!!!
I *clearly* have been reading too much of my nursing text books, and not enough Disney. What the heck is this 40% thing?

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
WDWRocksMySocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
Oh my god, that pic of you at Christmas is cracking me up! I'm totally on!

Thanks for stopping by! Ha, isn't that pic awesome? It's definitely one of my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgurl View Post
I love the Dining Plan!
I think everyone is pushing me towards that direction. I really want to try it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
I *clearly* have been reading too much of my nursing text books, and not enough Disney. What the heck is this 40% thing?
WHAT?! You mean, you'd rather study then waste countless hours on DIS?! For shame! I'm right there w/ you. I'm studying for the LSAT and take time in between to get my Disney fix.

The 40% offer is a room only discount. It was sent to randomly selected recipients through email or snail mail. I'm not really sure if there is any rhyme or reason how you get selected. I am registered online, and figure that's how I got the email.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Beka
Goes to 11

Oh my god, that pic of you at Christmas is cracking me up! I'm totally on!

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Hi Kirsten! Just found your PTR while reading somebody else's (I noticed your ticker was very similar to mine...looks like we'll be there right around the same time as you!) and thought I'd join in.

I haven't read everything yet but enjoyed your post about the summer. We also have never been during the summer (and again like you, swore we never would!). Our closest experience was when I went in Oct. a couple years ago with my dad and sister when Orlando had record high temperatures-it was in the 90s every day and really humid. So I'm thinking if I could survive that summer will be OK!

Can't wait for more!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs UPCOMING TRIP: April '14-Pop Century
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

What a great deal you got on your airfare!!

I'm so happy you got your tickets sorted out. Undercover Tourist sounds like a really great company! I hadn't heard much about them before this but I will definitely keep them in mind.

I'm a big UG fan too. I always bring it on the plane with me!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
WDWRocksMySocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Hi Kirsten! Just found your PTR while reading somebody else's (I noticed your ticker was very similar to mine...looks like we'll be there right around the same time as you!) and thought I'd join in.

I haven't read everything yet but enjoyed your post about the summer. We also have never been during the summer (and again like you, swore we never would!). Our closest experience was when I went in Oct. a couple years ago with my dad and sister when Orlando had record high temperatures-it was in the 90s every day and really humid. So I'm thinking if I could survive that summer will be OK!

Can't wait for more!

Yay...welcome to my random PTR!!! Isn't it funny how you swear you'll never do Disney in the summer, yet when it comes down to it...you just can't pass up a trip to WDW!! We went last October, and it was pretty dang hot and humid, too. But, I figure as long as we are smart about it I'm sure we'll be just fine. Besides, a scorching hot day at Disney is still better than being at home...right?

I'm on my way to check out your PTR right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnpalm View Post
What a great deal you got on your airfare!!

I'm so happy you got your tickets sorted out. Undercover Tourist sounds like a really great company! I hadn't heard much about them before this but I will definitely keep them in mind.

I'm a big UG fan too. I always bring it on the plane with me!
My persistence paid off!! Or, maybe someone just thought I needed a break. Either way, I was ecstatic to get such a great deal. I saw over on the "Transportation" board that some people weren't getting that great of deals for Southwest. I guess it was pretty hit or miss.

Thanks...me too! I was so impressed with them before, and now I'm in love. HA!! They have really been great (and easy) to work with. Plus, you can get really great discounts on tickets!

UG is awesome!!!! I'm so glad I finally bought a copy. It's about time. :-)

Last edited by WDWRocksMySocks; 04-15-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
lizet313
A dream is a wish your HEART makes!

Subscribing hope its ok
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
WDWRocksMySocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizet313 View Post
Subscribing hope its ok

Of course, thanks for stopping by!! I love to have readers. I just visited your PTR and am getting ready to post all my favorites. Although, I don't really have a favorite Disney restaurant...isn't that crazy? My family never really ate at any table service restaurants and my DH is EXTREMELY picky when it comes to food. SAD!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
WDWRocksMySocks

No DDP for us...SAD!

So, we FINALLY made a decision on the whole free dining debate. DH said he would, but since he's already grumpy about WDW I figured I wanted him to at least get food he liked. I still don't understand why he doesn't like any Disney table service restaurants. He's a weirdo! I let him go through all the menus and I even highlight things I thought he'd like. But, he was just NOT too enthused by it all. LOSER! No, I'm kidding -- I really do love my DH, even if he is raining on my Disney parade. At least we're going, right?

I did convince him to go to Whispering Canyon Cafe with me! I've always wanted to try it and so he agreed to that. Although really, I think he'll probably just sit there and watch me eat more than anything. Whatever, as long as I have fun that's all that matters -- right? Our 90 day window is May 25, which also happens to be Memorial Day. That shouldn't effect making ADR's, will it? It better not!

Here are the QS places we will probably go to:

Magic Kingdom
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe -- LOVE this place!!
Peco Bill's
El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante -- I'm sure this place won't be open, but if it is we're going. I love this place, but it's ALWAYS closed while we're there. BOO!

Animal Kingdom
Pizzafari - For DH
Flame Tree - For me

DHS
Toy Story Pizza Planet

Epcot
Boulangerie Patisserie
**Amazingly enough, DH and I don't really care for food at Epcot. Ha, I'm sure people consider this blasphemy. But, we do love those French pastries!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: