Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

My First Ever Dining Report - a Vegetarian's Perspective, Now w/ Index

Okay, here's the skinny - I'm 30 years old and recently came back from a trip to the World with my mother. I have a separate trip report here, but I will attempt a food report for all the foodies out there.

Everything went pretty much according to schedule until the last night. First, the meal schedule:

Wednesday (Hollywood Studios)
Lunch - Counter service
Dinner - Il Mulino

Thursday (Epcot)
Breakfast - Counter service
Lunch - Counter service
Dinner - Spoodles

Friday (Animal Kingdom)
Breakfast - Boma
Lunch - Counter service
Dinner - Kona

Saturday (Magic Kingdom)
Lunch - Tony's Town Square
Dinner - Trail's End

Sunday
Lunch - Wolfgang Puck Cafe

Index:
Introduction (Cast of Characters)
Day 1 - Hollywood Studios (50s Prime Time Cafe and Il Mulino)
Day 2 - Epcot (Sunshine Seasons and Spoodles)
Day 3 - Animal Kingdom (Boma, Tusker House and Kona)
Day 4 - Magic Kingdom (Tony's Town Square and Crystal Palace)
Day 5 - Downtown Disney (Wolfgang Puck Cafe)

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)

Last edited by disney_mommy; 01-29-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Add index in post 1.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
disney_mommy

Okay, this is the cast of characters for this foodie report:

Me - 30 years old. I have been a vegetarian for 9 years and am bordering on veganism. Still not there yet (I do love me some cheese!) but I am working on it. I don't eat any meat at all, including fish. I am pretty simple in my tastes, I like your basic spaghetti, mac 'n cheese and sandwiches. I don't like to push the envelope too far in my venture for new foods.

Mom - eligible for AARP benefits. She eats chicken and fish but hasn't had a steak in many years. She still eats a hamburger maybe twice a year. She likes all varieties of foods and isn't afraid of trying something new. I didn't take too many notes her food, but I will add it in whenever I can, but this will mainly be my report.

Now, on to the actual report...

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Jumping in here.....
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Jumping in here.....

Oooh, my first reader! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy reading my foodie report.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Count me in.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

And me

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
disney_mommy

Day 2 - Epcot

This morning we had to be at Epcot by 8:45am for our 9:00am Segway tour, so we had some poptarts in the room (from a box that I so helpfully packed) before scooting out of our room.

For lunch, we hit Sunshine Seasons in The Land. We both had the Vegetarian Entree ($7.99) which consisted of a pile of garlic udon noodles, a heap of the stirfry vegetables, a scoop of white rice, and a bunch of broccoli. We also split the Apple Caramel Cake (aka the Apple Sauce Cake) ($2.89). The Vegetarian Entree was good. The noodles were very good and the rice was okay, kind of bland. The vegetables were okay, not very hot, and the broccoli was just this side of acceptable. Very bland and almost mushy. The cake was decent, it had a nice caramel flavor and the crumb crust was good.

For dinner, we drove to Spoodles at the Boardwalk Resort. This is tied with Kona and Wolfgang Puck as the restaurant with the best atmosphere. Very nautical and bright. The wood was a beautiful medium color and I loved the blue striped seat cushions. Every light fixture was different which I thought was very cool.

I started with a side salad with ranch dressing ($5.29) which was very good, very fresh. There wasn't much of a vegetarian selection here, so I chose the Margherita Flatbread ($9.99). I was thinking it was going to be like a thin pizza, but it was not. It was a giant slab of oval bread, very thin but not crusty. It had cheese and tomatoes and some kind of swirl on top, maybe a carmelized onion sauce? It was only okay, and I ate only two small pieces.

I also had a strawberry margarita ($8.25), which was quite good.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
disney_mommy

Day 1 - Hollywood Studios

On our first day, we arrived at Hollywood Studios around 1:00pm. We had intended to do a counter service place, but we walked by the 50s Prime Time Cafe (which we originally had an ADR for at dinner, but canceled), and it looked like fun, so we walked in to see what our chances were of getting a table. They said it would be a while, but we waited. It is a very fun place to sit and relax. We sat in the corner, with the orange couch and the bookcases, watching the black and white TV with the old show clips looped. Mom kept saying, "We had one of those in our house." And "That's just like the clock that was in our kitchen!" She had fun.

We both ordered a salad ($5.49) with ranch dressing and shared a basket of onion rings ($5.99). The salad was quite good, very fresh. The ranch dressing was super yummy. The onion rings were okay. We ate them all, but we weren't crazy about them. They were not very crisp, just sort of breaded and limp.

For dinner, we met two local family members at Il Mulino in the Swan. Very upscale place. We used the valet parking and they told us to get our ticket validated, so it only cost us the tip. The waiter brought out a plate with an eggplant dip type of thing and a basket of 2 types of breads. I'm not an eggplant fan, but I squished a piece of plain bread into the mixture and it was quite good. The other bread was a hard, crispy bread with red pepper flakes. I thought that one was spicy and could only have a bite, but my mom didn't feel it was very hot at all. Maybe I got all of the red papper flakes...? For my entree, I had the Penne Rigate ($20.00), which is penne pasta with a marinara sauce. The sauce was almost cheesy and was very pale, not bright red like a usual marinara. It was good but a tad bland. For dessert we had the flourless chocolate cake ($8.00) which was divine but very rich. The four of us shared one small serving.

Last edited by disney_mommy; 01-21-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: