Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Run HOW FAR?! Disney 1/2 & Solo fun! Jan PTR...omg leave Thurs! Itinerary posted 1/5

First off...thank you to the mods who put up with me! Way back when I started this, it was originally in the pre-trip reports. Then I asked to move it to the WISH Journals because it was just going to be a training journal for me. Then umm... planning of the trip started and I decided it should be back in the pre-trip section! SORRY!

Table of Contents

**note to readers...if you get bored easily reading about mileage/time/pace/etc... you can skip most of the Training links. I'm using this to record how far I run and stuff too so it's all going to be mixed in!

Planning 1: I've officially lost my mind and registered for the Disney Half! (this post)
Planning 2:All About Yours Truly and my Running Escapade
Training 1: Short Update...5 mile Run
Training 2: Small 4mi Run, new sneaks and...I have another victim signed up for the Half...my BFF!
Training 3: Change of sneaks, little training...and yet ANOTHER victim registers!
Training 4: 40 min run and I'm in LOVE with my Garmin!
Training 5: We survived the Jersey Shore Marathon Relay! (and met another Disney runner!
Training 6: Broke my 5k time..happy dance!
Training 7: My first official 10k...and I didn't die!
Training 8: Slacking in training..boo!
Training 9: Survived 8 miles on my own!
Planning 3: Extending my stay so I can do a little solo touring!
Planning 4: Flight is BOOKED!
Planning 5: A little about the others coming along for the fun, a fellow Disney-holic and a Disney newbie!
Planning 6: Our VERY tentative itinerary
Planning 7: Take me backstage!!!
Training 10: Quick 6 mile morning run
Training 11: 9 Miles...slowly but surely!
Training 12: One fast mile down...a lot more to go!
Planning 8: Tweet Tweet!
Training 13: 10 Miles Completed!
Planning 9: Hmm...DVC Rental?
Planning 10: Boardwalk Villas Here I Come!!
Planning 11: ADRs, Itinerary, change in hotel?
Training 14: My happy 10k time, not must other training though..boo!
Planning 12: ADR Fiasco
Planning 13: Adding in a new PTR here!!!!
Training 15: Unsuccessfull 10 mile run and I want to rip my knee off
Training 16: Up to 12 miles and working around my knee problems!
Planning 14: Itinerary needs input! and OMG I leave in 2 days!

Now back to the show...

*Back in January*
So yup... I've got a new Disney trip hiding up my sleeve. Well..in my running shoes I guess you could say. A little background story...*que the cheesy music please!*

A week or so ago my friends and I decided to make Bucket Lists..you know...the List of things you wanna do before you..kick the bucket. Just like in the movie. Most of mine includes traveling to far off lands. It also included 'Running in a Half Marathon'. Hmm... ok. Maybe one day.

Fast forward to about a week ago. I get an email from a crazy runner friend and he says 'I remember you saying something about a marathon? half marathon? Remember when I did the Disney full marathon 2 years ago? Well the Disney marathon registration opens up tomorrow. and the half fills up within like a month a lot of times. So um... do it. I'm doing the Goofy Challenge. We'll meet up down there and it'll be fun!' I write back saying he's nuts. Then sit and think... hmmm... I'm almost 30... I have nothing holding me back. No fam to approve this with or raise..hm. If I'm ever to run in a half marathon, I guess this would be the time to do it, right?

So I toy with the idea for a bit. Put on my Facebook that I'm thinking about running the half. The response was pretty overwhelming. Some 'you're CRAZY!' and others 'omg..awesome... and if you do it, I'll do it!'

The other day...I took the plunge. Went to the site, threw my credit card info in there and voila! I'm registered for the half!

I figure I have a year to train, right?

Now I can get started on planning my trip too!!!

I definitely need to stay down at Disney for a few days before and after. So I've decided on Jan 7-13th. Race is on Saturday. Probably won't be doing tooo much prior to the race. Arrive Thursday, pick up my race packet, wander either MK or Epcot, have a yummy meal and call it a night. Friday pretty much still the same thing. Nothing crazy. Have a yummy carb filled dinner and get to bed EARLY! Race is on Saturday morning... then try to hobble around the parks after I recover a little.

I called yesterday and booked just a room at Pop. Only me so far but I know for a fact I will have either more racers with me or a cheering section. Didn't buy park passes or anything yet, just wanted to reserve the room! And when I was on the phone...did you guys know that they can tell you how many days you've actually stayed on Disney property? She didn't tell me exact but said 'wow! you've been here over 100 days!' I would LOVE to get a detailed print out of that! haha! too funny!

So that's it for now! I've already started running...ran 4 miles last week. Knee hurt a little bit but not sure if it's just cause I've been wearing heels every day to work lately. We'll see how it goes!

I still can't believe I'm doing this.... lol

Last edited by disneygirlinnj; 01-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Wanted to let you know that I'm following you from the pre-trippes down here to the WISH Journals.

Good luck with everything! Glad to follow you on your way to the half

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Thanks Twingle! Glad to see you're over here too!

So I guess I should tell a little bit about me?

I'm 28 years old...and have hated running for quite some time now. I had never run a mile and hated the treadmill with a passion. I had joined a gym about 3 years ago and the owner was big into getting people to all run together and run small races. So he convinced me to run the local 5k in town and helped a lot of us get in running shape for it.

3 years later I've run that 5k 3 times, run another 5k in NJ, as well as participated in the Jersey Shore relay twice and did the 4mile leg both times (teams of 5 run a total of 26 miles from Seaside Heights to Asbury Park...for all you NJians).

I'm still not a huge fan of running but I enjoy the small dose of competition. By NO means am I a speed racer though....I just take my time and want to finish! It's a tiny competition against myself to try to beat my last time, even by a few seconds. I know it's good for me (I seriously tell myself that when I start to hate running!) so I keep doing it to try to stay in shape and lose a few extra pounds. I'm still waiting to hit that 'euphoria' that some runners talk about.. you guys are crazy!

Running on the treadmill is pretty boring for me so I try to run outside as much as possible. Sadly there's a deep freeze here in NJ and I haven't even gone outside in the past few months to run at all. I'm hoping it warms up soon though and in Feb I'll definitely get out.

I also ordered 'Marathons for Mortals' based on reviews on here, hoping to gain some knowledge about training for this. When I set my mind to something, I try to jump completely in! haha!

I'm hoping to do some running today at the gym...we'll see!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Just a quick update so i can remember

Went to the gym today and ran... in 64 mins I ran 5 miles. Walked a little bit here and there. I was just bored I think. My knees didn't really hurt...it just kinda felt like pressure was building around my knee cap? Hard to explain!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

another update!

Just finished reading "Marathons for Mortals" and thought it was really informative. Now I just have to write down my training plans and get to running some more. I'm probably going to mix and match the half-marathon and full marathon training plans since there's SO much time from now until January.

Also bought new sneakers. My knees started getting more sore then usual in my old ones and it was time for a new pair anyways.

Ran 4 miles yesterday and I feel pretty good today. Knees slightly sore but nothing bad. No pain.

My friend Christina also officially signed up for the Donald as well. So I at least have one running partner for my training.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
tinkerbell of winter
Keep Moving Forward-Walt Disney

Keep up the good work! I was going to do the full next year but now I am doing the half, I don't think my knees will agree with me to train for the full and lose the weight that I need (about 85 lbs to lose altogether). You will be able to do the half, you have plenty of time to train for it. I'm going with my 2007 plan, the 5 mile shamrock run on March 14th, the Boilermaker 15K in July, the Race for the Taste 10K at Epcot in October and then the half marathon in Jan 2010 Hoping to do the full in 2011. Once you get into running you really do get a runner's "high" after so many miles. I don't run fast but I just keep on plugging. And there is always someone slower than me. Besides if you finish dead last they usually put your picture in the paper or something The important thing is FINISHING! My other thing is that the first two miles I run in a distance run feel horrible but once I get those out of the way I am cruising.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

OK so a little bit about the rest of the cast that's joining me for this adventure. I know I quickly mentioned they were coming with me but here's a little more info....

The first victim to sign up with me a while back is my friend Christina...another Disney-holic. Her fam goes all the time to the World and she knows it almost as well as I do. Can't wait to run around with her and have fun! We both love different things about Disney so it's going to be a great time sharing our ideas.

The second victim that signed up for the half with us is our friend Nate. He's only been to Disney once a few years ago but it was a crappy trip and he didn't enjoy it. So Christina and I have taken it upon ourselves to give him a crash course in all things Disney! Hopefully we can convert him!

So as of right now... I'm saying the 7th-15...Thurs-Fri. Nate can only stay Thurs-Mon and Christina can stay Thurs-Tues. We'll try showing Nate as much Disney fun as possible before he has to head back home.

Tomorrow I'll post our tentative schedule!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

That's great you got your air! We are going to be getting our air soon.

Can't wait to hear about your plans!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
That's great you got your air! We are going to be getting our air soon.

Can't wait to hear about your plans!!
I'm having a brain fart...lol...did I ever ask you where in NJ you are? I'm up in Bergen County...it's always nice to see a fellow NJian!

More plans on their way!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

This is going to be a JAM PACKED update! Sit back, relax, and enjoy the read...

So since I'm the compulsive planner that I am...I forced a little pow-wow at Christinas the other day to figure out pretty much food for the most part when we're there and then a quick overview of parks and stuff. I didn't realize how hard it was when there's 3 totally different minds involved in this planning! Well actually....2 minds... Christina and I were pretty much on the same page (duh) but Nate? This poor boy needs some Disney in his life.

First question I asked was what do we want to eat when we're down there, what type of foods, etc. Christina immediately said Le Cellier. Nate raises and eyebrow. I explain it's a pretty decent steakhouse in one of the theme parks. He said he doesn't really want French . I explain it's NOT French...if you MUST be picky it's 'Canadian' and they're known for their steaks and cheddar cheese soup. Nate, in his past life, was a chef for awhile and went to culinary school. So then he states the he refuses to pay $35 for a crappy piece of meat. Oh boy this is going to be a long pow-wow. Hmm... we kindly explain that umm... yes...your piece of meat will probably be around $30. It WILL not be to the caliber of a Ruth's Chris steakhouse, etc. But umm.... can we remind you that we are in a THEME PARK?! You're going to pay $15 for a crappy burger and fries so umm....that $30 decent piece of meat is looking pretty darn good, right?

So I then pull up AllEars menus and start reading off the prices. He calmed down a little when he found out it wasn't all a la carte. Whew!

Ok, Le Cellier will be somewhere on our list if I can get an ADR. When? We don't know.

Next up? Where do we want to eat the two nights before the race? Possibly Le Cellier? nah.. not healthy or enough carbs. Disney said they're offering a pasta dinner Thursday so that's a possibility on our first night when that info comes out. Can anyone give any suggestions?

So here is a little outline of our days and possibilities:

Thursday, January 7th
-Arrive at MCO around 9:45am.
-Take DME to Pop...hopefully get there between 11am & 11:30am? Wishful thinking?!
-Check in, buy Nate park tickets (I have an AP and Christina has unused non-expired tickets). Unpack possibly grab some food at Pop food court or just head directly to MK.
- Wander around MK and do whatever we want.
- Dinner: Either Pasta Dinner hosted by Disney for runners or somewhere semi-healthy.
- Take it easy and not do too much, still trying to save our legs
- semi early night

Friday, January 8th
- try waking up pretty bright and early since we're heading to bed early...breakfast at Pop?
- Animal Kingdom today since it closes early and we don't want to go crazy
- Dinner? Japan, GF Cafe, Wave, ????????
- very early night

The night before the race? We still have NO idea. I really think Nate has the mindset that there is NOTHING healthy to eat in Disney so he's already grumpy and miserable. I mention hibachi at Teppan Edo....some nice healthy protein...brown rice (i think they had brown rice?), nice salad, etc. It MIGHT be greasy/buttery so there's always Tokyo Dining with healthy sushi and grilled chicken teriyaki. Christina seemed mildly excited...nate? he was indifferent. I then recommend Chefs de France...they have a nice Roasted Chicken. No? Hmm... GF Cafe also had a bunch of nice healthy entrees. maybe? The Wave?! They don't have grilled chicken...GRRRR...Tutto Italia has pasta, yes...but someone might complain about the $24 for a bowl of pasta. So as of right now it's possibly Japanese, GF Cafe, Chefs, or something else. I'm going to send Nate the menu website and have him choose. Ugh! more suggestions anyone?

Saturday, January 9th
- RACE DAY!!!! wake up at 2:30am... try eating some oatmeal that I'm bringing
- after race heading to room to shower..NO NAPPING!
- MK again today to see the stuff we didn't see the first day
- dinner at Hoopdedoo
- crash the minute my head hits the pillow

Night after the race? That was easy. Christina and I aren't giving Nate any choice. We're doing Hoop de Doo. I honestly have NOT done this since I was a little kid. Actually forgot all about it until Christina told me about it on her last trip. They do it every year.

Sunday, January 10th
- Jenn (and MAYBE the others) wakes up early and cheers on the marathoners
- either come back to room or meet the other 2 at GF for 1900 Park Fare for breakfast
- jump on monorail to Epcot, do some FW fun
- Drink Around the World!
- Eat Around the world

Morning after the race... we're going to be sore. We know this. But umm... they always say it's best to get up and moving. So first we (or at least ME!) are waking up bright and early and I'm going to go cheer on my fellow DISers, DisneyRunners, and a lady that I work with for the full marathon. Then to give Nate the full Disney experience, we want to take him to a character breakfast. 1900 Park Fare seems fun with the Mad Hatter and stuff and semi-healthy. I believe they have a make your own omlette station? Or I could be thinking of somewhere else. Either way it'll be fun. I hope. Other than Chef Mickeys and Crystal Palace, can you guys think of anywhere else?

The day after the race will also be our Epcot day. We plan on getting there somewhat early and doing Future World. Then when the world showcase opens our Drinking Around the World adventure begins to celebrate our accomplishments! We're starting bright and early so we can pace ourselves. I've done this a few times and had NO problem doing every country by the time the park closed and STILL was coherent. There will be NO drunken stupidity from us three. Promise. For food we're going to make sure we eat around the world as well so no TS, just counter service and picking at stuff. I know Christina wants a pretzel from Germany! I want everything.

Monday, January 11th
- breakfast somewhere
- head to MGM and do top 3 rides...
- if Nate has to leave, go back to hotel with him, say bon voyage at DME, then Christina and I will head back out somewhere
- if Nate stays, finish up whatever at MGM and then dinner somewhere

Monday is kinda up in the air. Nate still doesn't know if he can stay until Tuesday. I believe we're going to do DHS either way, just early in the morning before he has to get home. I'm going to force him to buy the 6pm flight out of MCO. I think he'll enjoy ToT, RNNC, and TSM. That's all we really need to do I think. Anything else would just be bonus.

Dinner Monday night would be either the 3 of us, or just Christina and I.

Tuesday, January 12th
- breakfast somewhere
- possibly Epcot with Christina or whatever she wants to do
- back to hotel for Christina's departure
- LET THE SOLO ADVENTURES BEGIN

Wednesday, January 13th
- solo adventures (not sure what yet)

Thursday, January 14th

Friday, January 15th

The most exciting thing for me for my solo adventures is being able to just do whatever I want, when I want, how I want, etc. If there are any DISers still left in the parks after the marathon rush leaves, I'm up for meeting up even for a little bit!

There are a few restaurants I NEED to try that I haven't been able to since I swear I'm only friends with or related to picky eaters. Jiko, Sanaa, Boma, Morocco, Rose & Crown, Flying Fish, Wave immediately come to mind, but I'm sure theres more. Yachtsman Steakhouse is on my list to try too. Obviously I'd only have 3 dinners alone and way too many possibilities. I think I'd also want to scope out and see which ones have a bar that I could sit at and eat. I know Jiko does. I don't mind eating at a table alone but I think it's more fun sitting at the bar and at least I can chit chat with the bartender, ya know?

Ok, whew!!! That's our tentative schedule and I feel like I've been writing forever!

Let me know what you guys think or if you can give any suggestions!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

OOh your plans sounds great!! I know what you mean about planning when you have somebody who can be difficult lol.

I think it's awesome you have days to your self in Disney! I love it when Tim sleeps in on some days, and I go off and do my thing by myself until he wakes up and meets me where ever.

You just helped me figure out where we should eat the day before the race! TUTTO! I can have my Penne Caprese meal!! I love it. What time is the race again? 5:30? When do the buses start? I forget.

Oh and I'm from Burlington County
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #12
pirates5
Earning My Ears

See you in January!

I'm so glad I found you guys on here! I, too, decided this year to run the Half Marathon. Haven't so much as run to the mailbox in 10 years. I found out friends ran it (and they used to be the fat girls...now I was the fat girl!), so I got motivated.

Since Jan '09 I've lost 59 pounds running. I may not make it quickly to the finish line in Jan '10, but I will do it!!! I hope to see all you fun people there. Best of luck to everyone, especially those trying this for the first time.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Tutto dinner
Notes: Epcot today...our favorite park. We decided to try San Angel for lunch. Crossing my fingers! And of course...my yummy Tutto for dinner
We all know the real reason you like Tutto so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Sad training to report...

I don't even remember the last update I gave! I remember telling you guys I ran 10 miles awhile back and all went well. I ran in a 10k and got my best time yet..which was awesome. I ran in a 7.77 mile trail run race and that was entertaining... I can't remember what else!

Well anyways... Sunday I went to run 10 miles again. I was doing fine until about the 5.5 mile mark. Then out of nowhere my left knee starts getting this stabbing pain on the side. I try to run through it was but it hurt so bad I had to start walking and stop for a bit. Tried to stretch it but nothing was working. So I had to walk back to the car!! I was SO discouraged and disappointed. Definitely on the verge of tears at one point because I was so annoyed. Speed walking didn't bother it, just running on it. So I went home and iced it and researched and called some friends. Everyone said it was my IT Band....the muscle that runs from your butt all the way down the side of your leg to your knee. It's a common running injury and I just need to stretch it and all that fun stuff and I should be good to go. The next morning I went into the gym to talk to the owner and he agreed it's probably my IT Band. He gave me stretches to do and told me I should try running again in a week. After that I headed to the running store and bought a foam roller and IT Band wrap for my leg. The wrap is supposed to alleviate the pressure while you're running so it doesn't tighten up. The foam roller you use and roll your leg on it like a rolling pin and it alleviates the tension too.

I'm just annoyed at this setback. Hopefully I can run again next weekend just to try it out. Grrrr!!!!!
A friend of mine who runs a lot has hurt his IT band more than once. One time it was so bad he could barely walk. Sounds like you're doing the right things for it; hope it gets better soon!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Oh no girl. I hope your injury heals soon!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Nice bonus trip and AKL no less.

And Jiko! can't beat that....

Here's hoping for clear and calm weather.
Hoping and crossing my fingers for awesome weather! I've been keeping track of this test rocket they've been trying to launch over the past few days and it's getting me antsy!!! They scrubbed it yesterday due to rain and stuff and now today they've already pushed it back a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirates5 View Post
I'm so glad I found you guys on here! I, too, decided this year to run the Half Marathon. Haven't so much as run to the mailbox in 10 years. I found out friends ran it (and they used to be the fat girls...now I was the fat girl!), so I got motivated.

Since Jan '09 I've lost 59 pounds running. I may not make it quickly to the finish line in Jan '10, but I will do it!!! I hope to see all you fun people there. Best of luck to everyone, especially those trying this for the first time.
Welcome over here! Wow..congrats on the amazing weight loss too! That's an great accomplishment in itself. And there's no rush to finish the race. I just want to finish it injury free and have a great time doing it.

As the race gets closer, a few of us should plan a meetup spot the morning of just to say hi and try working out the nervous jitters. It'll be fun to put faces to names on here, and know we're all in this together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
We all know the real reason you like Tutto so much...

A friend of mine who runs a lot has hurt his IT band more than once. One time it was so bad he could barely walk. Sounds like you're doing the right things for it; hope it gets better soon!
Haha...the eye candy at Tutto has NOTHING to do with me loving it so much...

This whole IT Band thing is a pain in the you know where! Walking is fine for me now, going up stairs is fine. Going down stairs is where the problem starts. This morning though was much better than yesterday so we're making progress! I've been wearing flat shoes to work every day and avoiding heels. I also went to the gym and did a small leg workout and nothing bothered it, which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
Oh no girl. I hope your injury heals soon!
Thanks hun! I'm hoping to try a small run this weekend!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: