Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

A Road Trip Engagement...The End...Updated 1/31!

I bought my car in April 2008, new. It made sense for us to drive to Florida during the high gas price days. You remember those. Up to $4.00/gal in some places? Insanity. So we estimated driving down and compared it to flying. It was a no brainer. $200+ weíd save and again, thatís using the estimate of $4.00/gal. When we actually took the drive, prices had dropped to under $2.00/gal.

I forgot to mention where weíd be driving from. Massachusetts. 1300 miles. And I hate car rides. I donít know how I made it alive.

2778.0 miles I put on my new car. I got an oil change right before we left and Iíll have to get another one soon.

Now for the introductions:
Jennifer48-Jennifer-Jen-Jenny, me! I'm 28 yrs old. First trip to WDW was 2000 for Spring Break. Most college students to go Cancun for Spring Break, not me! I wanted to go to Disney so bad and convinced one of my friends to go too. It was then that the obsession started.

Squall55-Daniel-Dan, DBF. He's 35 yrs old. His first WDW trip was when he was 1 yr old but of course he doesnít remember it so we consider his first trip a family trip for his high school graduation back in 1991. They drove as well. He likes to drive and doesnít mind it so heíll be the main driver of this trip.

Our plan of attack was to leave early Sunday November 31st and drive as far as possible, hoping to be in Savannah, GA that night and find a spot to sleep. When I say early, I mean early. 2am early. We wanted to be past NYC/NJ before morning rush hour and we knew there would be returning Thanksgiving traffic.

So make sure your seats and tray tables are in the upright position and your seat belt is safely fastened. Itís going to be an exciting ride from the start. BIG SURPRISE Monday for those that stick around!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report

Last edited by Jennifer48; 01-31-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: add ages.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Jennifer48

Day 1

Sunday November 31, 2008

My alarm went off at the obscene hour of 1am. I donít know why I even bothered going to bed. I actually prepared myself though and Friday night went to bed late and got up at 5am so Iíd be tired enough to go to bed early Saturday night. Which I did. I think I was in bed by 8pm.

I didnít crawl out of bed until about 1:30a. I showered the night before and had my comfy clothes out and ready to go. All I had to do was pack my toiletries bag and pick up Dan. He only lives about ľ mi down the road.

After dressing, I ran outside to start my car and pack it up. It was 30įF out and my car had frost. Gross. I couldnít wait to get to Florida. It wouldnít be hot but it would be warmer than home!

My brave parents got up to see me out, kissed me good-bye and off I went! Dan was ready when I got there. We double checked his house to make sure everything was unplugged, loaded the car and began our journey 5 minutes off schedule. It was 2:05am when we left!

We packed lots of food, drinks and things to keep us occupied. Dan was the primary driver so I just had to be his waitress and get him things as needed. I didnít mind. Like I said, I hate driving. Iíd much rather do that and keep him occupied and awake!

To keep myself occupied, I watched the 2004 ALCS Game 4. Red Sox vs. Yankees. I watched this for 2 reasons. 1) I didnít watch it back in 2004 because the Sox were down 3 games and if the Yankees won, Sox were out of the playoffs and I couldnít bear to watch. And 2) it was over 4 hours long because it went into extra innings. I figured that would help kill time.

We made it through NYC by 5:30a and traffic was light, which we were banking on. But once we hit NJ for our first pit stop, it was snowing! The first snowfall of the year and it was on our trek to FL. Not just snow though, sleet and freezing rain as well. Yucky. It eventually turned to rain once we hit DE and rained pretty much straight through to GA. The only snag we hit was in VA. Lots and lots of traffic. Holiday travelers making their way home, Redskins fans trying to get to the game, rain slowing everyone down, and the reason, a tree down on 95 that blocked 2 lanes of the highway. Once we past that, we were good to go.

Scary moment of the drive was in NJ. We were travelling in the center lane when 2 cars on either side of us were racing down the highway. Iím talking 90+MPH. They went by so fast, the wake jiggled our car. I have a Ford Edge, thatís not a small vehicle so you can imagine how fast they were going, in the sleet! I said a quick prayer for them and the other drivers that they wouldnít crash and kill someone, including them.

I counted 45 South of the Border signs. I know there were more because a lot of the billboards didnít have lights so I couldnít make them out. No we didnít stop. I would like to go one day though, as well to the Carolinas. Maybe one summer vacation.

There were a lot of RVs that were travelling south from Quebec. Maybe they were getting away for the winter as well.

By the time we hit the GA border, we were finished. The traffic in VA took 2 hours of our time that we couldnít get back and we were bushed. We knew we wanted to stay in Savannah so to keep ourselves occupied, we played the Alphabet Game. We tried to name as many animals that began with each letter. Then we started with food chains. Told you it was a long ride.

18 hours later and 1040 miles, we stopped for gas and found a Hampton Inn in GA. We made it there right around 9pm. I couldnít wait to sleep in a bed. A real bed. At a real hotel. Thatís why we stayed there and not Joeís Motel even though it would have been $50 cheaper. And let me tell you, it was the 2nd best bed Iíve ever slept in. Number 1 being the bed on the DCL. Those are like little clouds.

Sorry for the lack of photos this day but Iíll make up for it the rest of the report, believe me!
A Road Trip Engagement
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Kimberly815
DIS Veteran
you can call us Mr. and Mrs. ChuckleDoodle!

Yippee!! It's finally started!

I am not a fan of road trips either. I would prefer to fly if at all possible. I can do them. But I have to prepare myself to be in the right frame of mind.

Good thinking with the Sox game. That must have helped kill quite a few hours.

I am suprised you don't have any pictures. I would have been taking pictures of the driving, the scenery, the fallen tree that blocked two lanes of traffic. But I guess I am just dorky that way! (Wait, scratch that. I may have taken the pictures, but I don't know that I would want to post them for all to see. Well, at least not the ones with me in them- I am certainly not pretty after sitting in the car for a million hours!)
Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly815 View Post
I am suprised you don't have any pictures. I would have been taking pictures of the driving, the scenery, the fallen tree that blocked two lanes of traffic. But I guess I am just dorky that way! (Wait, scratch that. I may have taken the pictures, but I don't know that I would want to post them for all to see. Well, at least not the ones with me in them- I am certainly not pretty after sitting in the car for a million hours!)
Thanks for stopping by!!

I'm surprised I didn't either but the majority of our trip was in the dark so maybe that's my reason....ya that's it, it was too dark
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Pugsly
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to more, Jen!

14 trips and counting ...
1978-offsite 1998-POFQ 2000-ASMo 2001-ASMo, CSR 2003-ASMo 2003-Hotel Santa Fe (DLP) 2004-ASMo, WL 2008-Pop 2009-Poly 2011-Hilton Grand Vacation Club 2012-Carribbean Beach 2012-Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2013-Grand Californian 2014-AoA
Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Did you post your ages correctly.
You have Dan as 55 and graduated h.s. in 1991.
I'm just checkin, LOL.
If it makes you feel any better, I hate long car rides too.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
lindseynleah
Mouseketeer

I'm onboard!!! Sounds fun so far. We are also in mass and my husband and I have driven to Florida for the past 10 years. I have family in Jacksonville and Tampa and have to say, I love the roadtrips!!! I am not much of a flyer, so the car suits me fine...I can say as we get older they do get more difficult and we are now planning on a stay overnight on the way down and on the way back!! Can't wait to hear more about your exciting trip!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Awww, what a perfect evening.

I'm really tempted to try Ohana's now. I have been thinking it over and your description just really makes me want to eat there.
The food was really quite delicious. Just make sure you bring your appetite because it is all you can eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly815 View Post
I had the same chicken wings at the Kona Cafe. They are YUMMY! All the rest of the food looks really good too! I may have to make sure to try O'hana next time!

What a beautiful view of Wishes. . . it makes for the perfect end to a perfect day!

ETA: Do you have any pictures of your itty-bitty AKL room? Just wondering what it looks like in comparison to other rooms there.
I do have pictures of the room. I'll have to upload them to photobucket so I can post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybratpack View Post
What a perfect ending for the perfect day!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseynleah View Post
I'm onboard!!! Sounds fun so far. We are also in mass and my husband and I have driven to Florida for the past 10 years. I have family in Jacksonville and Tampa and have to say, I love the roadtrips!!! I am not much of a flyer, so the car suits me fine...I can say as we get older they do get more difficult and we are now planning on a stay overnight on the way down and on the way back!! Can't wait to hear more about your exciting trip!!!!
You've done that without breaks before? Its so looooooooong! God Bless you! If I do it again, I'll definately take my time and visit more of the "touristy" things along the way. Thanks for reading!
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
squall55
Earning My Ears

Talking

Hello All,

Thanks for reading my fiancee's trip report Sorry it took so long for me to jump in and post.

To say I was nervous and stressed was an understatement. For weeks I had been trying to figure out just how to do it. I went through many different scenarios in my head on how and where. I had bought the ring in the beginning of November and since that day started trying to figure out how. As each day got closer and closer to the trip the more nervous and stressed I got. I knew it would be at the Magic Kingdom and I knew it would be the first day we were there, but that's all I had figured out.

When we left Savannah, I still had not figured it out. The trip from Savannah to the MK, I could not stop thinking about how and getting more nervous about it the closer we got. Then we got to the MK and we started getting Photopass pictures taking and ran into another problem. The ring was in my jacket pocket and the case it was in was huge. So if we got to close in a picture she might actually feel the ring case. So I had to stand funny, so that she would not feel it.

Ultimately it became a last minute decision where I would do it. I knew I wanted a Photopass person there so we could capture the moment. So as we walking around just enjoying the park, we passed the Rose Plaza Garden. There was a short line so we hopped in.

The photographer had started taking our pictures and as he was finishing up, it just happened. He said he was finished and I said "Hang on, can we take one more picture?"

It was not even a place I had thought of but It could not have turned out better. It was perfect and something that I will always remember as long as I live. Nice and sunny, with the castle as a perfect background. It was wonderful.

It was a huge relief to have asked her and the stress and nervousness was gone.

One thing to add and it was something Jen mentioned about being Twilight Zone-esc. I have never her seen so dazed in Disney or anywhere else for that matter. She is organized and knows exactly what she wants to do, where to go, etc. But after I asked her to marry me, she was totally lost for the rest of the day. She was on It was such a wonderful thing to see. It made a special time that much more special. Something I will never forget.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
tinkerbell87512
I would love to hear all about these secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall55 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks for reading my fiancee's trip report Sorry it took so long for me to jump in and post.

To say I was nervous and stressed was an understatement. For weeks I had been trying to figure out just how to do it. I went through many different scenarios in my head on how and where. I had bought the ring in the beginning of November and since that day started trying to figure out how. As each day got closer and closer to the trip the more nervous and stressed I got. I knew it would be at the Magic Kingdom and I knew it would be the first day we were there, but that's all I had figured out.

When we left Savannah, I still had not figured it out. The trip from Savannah to the MK, I could not stop thinking about how and getting more nervous about it the closer we got. Then we got to the MK and we started getting Photopass pictures taking and ran into another problem. The ring was in my jacket pocket and the case it was in was huge. So if we got to close in a picture she might actually feel the ring case. So I had to stand funny, so that she would not feel it.

Ultimately it became a last minute decision where I would do it. I knew I wanted a Photopass person there so we could capture the moment. So as we walking around just enjoying the park, we passed the Rose Plaza Garden. There was a short line so we hopped in.

The photographer had started taking our pictures and as he was finishing up, it just happened. He said he was finished and I said "Hang on, can we take one more picture?"

It was not even a place I had thought of but It could not have turned out better. It was perfect and something that I will always remember as long as I live. Nice and sunny, with the castle as a perfect background. It was wonderful.

One thing to add and it was something Jen mentioned about being Twilight Zone-esc. I have never her seen so dazed in Disney or anywhere else for that matter. She is organized and knows exactly what she wants to do, where to go, etc. But after I asked her to marry me, she was totally lost for the rest of the day. She was on It was such a wonderful thing to see. It made a special time that much more special. Something I will never forget.
Oh my gosh you are so sweet!!! You sound like such an awesome guy and such a cute couple!!!! Congratulations!

June 1992 August 2000 February 2002 July 2004 July 2005 June 2006 July 2007 October 2007 May 2008 & DCL November 2008 May 2009 Sept/Oct 2010 & DCL November 2011 August 2013 October 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Well I hope you have one there too! Its very magical especially with the Photopass photographer there to capture the special moment
I don't think I'll be getting a castle engagement...especially since I've been married for 6 1/2 years!!!

BTW, don't know if you noticed but we are neighbors...I'm in North Andover

Your O'Hana report just made me so hungry...those appetizers were to die for!

Quote:
Hello All,

Congrasts! You did a wonderful job!!! You've made a lot of your wife-to-be's readers very jealous!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Kimberly815
DIS Veteran
you can call us Mr. and Mrs. ChuckleDoodle!

Quote:
Hello All,

Great job Dan! It was definitely a wonderful proposal!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: