Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Arrow Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

Okay...here's the deal. We get a ton of posts regarding this issue. If a guest calls Disney and asks if they can tag their bags but not ride the bus, Disney will tell them no, someone has to ride the bus. That is Disney's official stand if a guest calls and asks about it.
In all reality, if a guest tags their checked bags, but does not ride the DME bus to the resort, their bags will, in all probability, still get to their resort. Disney has a contract with MCO that states all DME tagged bags will be transported to WDW resorts.

Now....the only issue you may run into is this....
You tagged 3 bags. You get to your resort, using a towncar or rental car. You do not checkin at the DME welcome counter. You get to your resort, get checked in, and then head off to a park. You return to your room, many hours later, assuming your bags will be there, waiting, in your room. But, you find only 2 bags in your room! So, you call Bell Services and start the search. The airlines have a window in which you should be submitting a claim for missing/misdirected bags....this window may have passed by the time you realize you have missing bags. Of course, WDW/DME may have just sent your missing bag to the wrong resort.

So...long story short....Disney tells you that you have to ride the bus to get your luggage delivered. Disney will move all yellow, DME tagged bags, from MCO to WDW resorts...whether or not you are on a DME bus.

As long as you are aware of what 'could' happen, do what you wish. We have not seen reports of missing baggage here. It just doesn't happen very often...at least we aren't hearing of it happening.

There is no need for debate...this is how it works, plain and simple.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

I suggested this very type of sticky in a private conversation last night. Now, any time someone asks, we can refer them here and let it be. We all know people will still debate, but the official answer is now here!

Thanks!

Duds
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

I was wondering which of my 'regulars' would be the first to post. So.....some of you are having private discussions, are you??!!!
I think if we can direct all inquiries to this stickie, we will have a much friendlier board. No debate needed.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
j0esmoe13
Earning My Ears

Not sure if this is the appropriate place (a sticky) to ask a question but here goes: I'm curious about DME on the return leg of our trip. We want to take a cab back to MCO so we can have some extra time in the parks. Is it possible to drop our bags off with DME and not take the bus back to MCO?
j0esmoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Yes, that is absolutely possible IF you are flying a participating airline.

Resort Airline Checkin (RAC) is a totally separate service that any guest can use regardless of how they get back to the airport.

Now if you are flying an airline that does not participate in RAC (such as Southwest), then you'll have to take your own bags to the airport.

There are also rare occasions where there is a problem with your flight, or you are being tagged for special screening, then you can't use RAC even on a participating airline.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

In case this thread seems inconsistent, here's what the official Disney's Magical Express FAQ says about inbound "luggage only" with Disney's Magical Express (DME) and outbound "luggage only" with Resort Airline Check-in (RAC):

INBOUND (in the "RESERVATIONS" section of the FAQ):
Q. Can I book a "luggage-only" transfer?

A. No. To utilize Disney's Magical Express Service, you must participate in both the motor coach transportation and the luggage transfer services.
OUTBOUND (in the "RESORT AIRLINE CHECK-IN SERVICE FOR DOMESTIC DEPARTURES" section of the FAQ):
Q. Do I have to use Disney's Magical Express Service to participate in the Resort Airline Check-In Service?

A. No. The Resort Airline Check-In Service is available to guests staying at select Walt Disney World® Resort hotels who are flying domestically on participating airlines departing from Orlando International Airport. You may take any transportation from your Resort hotel to Orlando International Airport.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
j0esmoe13
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
Yes, that is absolutely possible IF you are flying a participating airline.

Resort Airline Checkin (RAC) is a totally separate service that any guest can use regardless of how they get back to the airport.

Now if you are flying an airline that does not participate in RAC (such as Southwest), then you'll have to take your own bags to the airport.

There are also rare occasions where there is a problem with your flight, or you are being tagged for special screening, then you can't use RAC even on a participating airline.
We are flying AirTran.. Who I believe are participants. If I am wrong please let me know.
j0esmoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
janinev7
Mouseketeer

janinev7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
thompsonsstation2dis
Mouseketeer

My Disney reservation has the wrong flight information on it for DME. Will my bags be picked up automically if tagged at the airport, even if DME doesn't know that I came in on that particular flight?

I wasn't sure if MCO just processes every bag with the DME tags and sends it on (which sounds like they do based on the first post).

Thanks!
thompsonsstation2dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
dawatbay
Earning My Ears

Staying offsite...DME to airport?

Hello, I'll be staying at WDW for 7 nights, using DME to get from airport to WDW. Then we're heading down to miami for a couple nights, and then staying at an offsite hotel near WDW for one night when we get back to Orlando. Can i use my stay at WDW during my 7 nights to book the DME on my way back to the airport?
dawatbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
carolinadj
Mouseketeer

No bus pass

DME sent bus passes to part of our party who are renting a car & won't be using them. However, they never sent one to a guest we added after we booked the rest of the family. So my question is: Can she use the bus pass of a relative who isn't riding the bus?

A member of DVC since the first year!
carolinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Not necessary. If you added the guest to the room, and told them they needed DME, they will be in the system, and a bus pass will be printed at the airport.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
deepmagic
Earning My Ears

so, hope someone can help me out with DME question:

our flight out of Orlando Intn'l is at 9:25 on AA,
& we're flying 1st class so we get 2 bags each w/o charge.
BUT when I looked up rules for booking our luggage thru DME
& airline checkin at the resort, the rules say only one checked
bag each...? Can we check half our bags & get boarding passes
at NOFQ & then check rest at airport? or do we have to haul
all our bags w/us on DME & then check them at airport???

LOL! any of this making sense?

Also, what the heck is RAC??? hehe!
deepmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepmagic View Post
so, hope someone can help me out with DME question:

our flight out of Orlando Intn'l is at 9:25 on AA,
& we're flying 1st class so we get 2 bags each w/o charge.
BUT when I looked up rules for booking our luggage thru DME
& airline checkin at the resort, the rules say only one checked
bag each...? Can we check half our bags & get boarding passes
at NOFQ & then check rest at airport? or do we have to haul
all our bags w/us on DME & then check them at airport???

LOL! any of this making sense?

Also, what the heck is RAC??? hehe!
Only certain airlines are considered participating airlines for this service....checking bags at the resort. This is what RAC is....remote (or resort) airline checkin. If you are flying on a participating airline, you will be able to take your checked bags to the RAC counter at your resort, get your bags checked through to MCO and get your boarding passes issued.
It would appear that you are flying out on American..they are a participating airline...so you can use RAC.
For those that have any checked baggage fees to pay, you are instructed to call BAGs, the day before you are due to depart. They will take payment, over the phone, via a credit card, and then give you a confirmation number that you can show to the RAC folks...showing them that fees have been paid. BUT...in your case, you get the extra bags without paying a fee. I don't know for sure how this is handled...perhaps you have to call BAGs and still get a confirmation number..even though you aren't paying for the bags. I'm sure someone here will have that particular answer for you.
You shold be able to check all the bags at the resort. Shouldn't have to be lugging any of the bags with you....unless they are carryon bags.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
There is no need for debate...this is how it works, plain and simple.
OK, since I was told discussion needs to stay in this thread, I'm going to post my .02 here.

Yes, this is how the system works. BUT, IMHO, that's going against stated Disney policy. So why do people feel it's ok to go against Disney policy in this instance, but not in others (line jumpers, "old" mug refillers, etc)?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: