Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

"I've got a WICKED magic hangover." Trip Report ***FINISHED 12/7***

OK! I’m ready to start my TR. I’ve got photos uploaded, the Photopass pix are on their way, and I’ve got a ton of notes.

If you want to read the FULL introduction, click HERE for the PTR. Or click HERE for just MY intro.

The WHEN: Oct. 8th-14th 2008
The WHAT: Our first family vacation. As in, just us four! Nobody else.
The WHY: Because mom is Disney-obsessed. Because it’d been 2 years since the last vacation. Because we had a 4 day weekend, so why not?
The WHERE: The World, baby!
The WHO: Our little family.

I am Julia, 31, a medical assistant. Last vacation was in April of 2006 on my first trip to Disneyland w/DD and the in-laws. Many wonderful magical moments with that trip. Many wishes of do-overs and things we would do differently that I hoped to rectify w/this trip. For example, we didn’t see Fantasmic. We saw no shows. We saw few characters. We did no in-resort or character dining. Did we do these things on this trip?

DH. Jim, 28, a cable installation tech. Last vacation was in Florida to Sanibel/Captiva w/DS and in-laws. They skipped our Disney vaca to do the Florida one. We couldn’t do Florida because I had just graduated school and was setting out on my job hunt as soon as I got back. Has been to WDW just once before- back when there was just MK and Epcot. His P’s believe in hitting the big attractions, eating outside the parks, and staying off-site. He wasn’t very excited about this trip. So…. Did he have fun? Does he want to come back ever again? Did he “catch the magic?”

DD. Rae (Rachael). 5. Disneyland vet. 1st visit to WDW. Lover of all things princesses, Hannah Montana, and HSM. Very excited to introduce big brother to the wonders of Disney and to find out if Tigger, Eeyore, and Pooh remembered her. Also if Minnie remembered her as well. So….did she see those characters? Did Minnie remember Miss Rachael?

DS. Ebin. 6. SOOOOOOOOO excited for this first Disney experience. Really wanted to see L! M! A!. Ride Rock’n’RollerCoaster. Ride Tower-of-Terror. Meet Mickey & Minnie. Watched all my geek-y Disney shows with me before we left. The DVC dvd. The History Channel’s “Modern Marvels:Disney World”. The Travel Channel’s Sam Brown specials. All of ‘em. I had a feeling that of all the family, DS would be the one to catch my Disney spirit the most. Did he see L!M!A!, did he meet those characters? Ride those rides? Cry during anything?

For the answers to these, and many more questions:

(the links will become active as I write the chapters)

Chapter 1: Oct. 8th- Ready to Go?
Chapter 2: Oct 9th- Arrival Day!!
Chapter 2: Oct 9th- Arrival Day!! CONT'D
Chapter 3: Oct. 10th- Part I: 1900 Park Fare
Chapter 3: Oct. 10th- Part I: 1900 Park Fare ~ CONT'D
Chapter 3: Oct. 10th- Part I: 1900 Park Fare ~ CONT'D 2
Chapter 4: Oct. 10th- Part II: MNSSHP!
Chapter 4: Oct. 10th- Part II: MNSSHP! CONT'D
Chapter 5: Oct. 11th- Part I: SHOOOOOOOOPPPPPIIIINNNNNGGG!
Chapter 6: Oct. 11th- Part II: Arabian Nights…..like Arabian Days?
Chapter 7: Oct. 11th- Part III: Under the Boardwalk… we’ll be havin’ some fun….

Chapter 8: Oct. 12th- Part I: Well, that’s some Toy Story Mania!
Chapter 9: Oct. 12th- Part II: Keep or Skip those ADR’s?
Chptr 10: Oct. 12th- Part III: The perfect end to a fantasmic trip.
Chptr 11: Oct. 13th- “I wish we could live here forever.”
SOUVIES
PHOTOPASS
FINAL THOUGHTS

Last edited by julezdisney; 12-07-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: links
Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Well, hello there!

I can't believe I'm first! I'm glad you started your report, and I can't wait to hear all about it!

Carry on...

Sara
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
EPRV We love Disney
I had a Golden Ticket!

Great Start!

Can't wait for more. Need that Disney fix! Your family sounds lovely!

And LOVE chapter links!

December 1990 - offsite
Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Mickeefan
DIS Veteran

I'm looking forward to reading your report. Bring it on.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
xoktenox
DIS Veteran

I'm here! And so excitedddd to read more I know you're busy but hurry up woman!!
7-8/13- BWV~~3/14- OKW~~ 8/14- AS Music, VGF & Pop~~ 10/14- SSR (2nd anniversary!)~~11/14- ?? (Chris' 30th birthday)

Current PTR: August 2014 Birthday & Anniversary Celebration with the (GASP!) Non-Believers

Old 10-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mek View Post
Well, hello there!

I can't believe I'm first! I'm glad you started your report, and I can't wait to hear all about it!

Carry on...

Sara
Sara! My one DIS-friend that I almost met! Can't wait to get to that part of the report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPRV We love Disney View Post
Can't wait for more. Need that Disney fix! Your family sounds lovely!

And LOVE chapter links!

Why thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeefan View Post
I'm looking forward to reading your report. Bring it on.
I can't wait to re-live it, maybe by the time I'm done, I'll be ready to start planning another one in ernest?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoktenox View Post
I'm here! And so excitedddd to read more I know you're busy but hurry up woman!!
I'm tryin' I'm tryin'!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
MiaBella05
DIS Veteran

subscribing
Caribbean Beach - Oct. '08
Riverside - May '09
Yacht Club CL - Aug. '14, Oct. '14

Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Belle_princess
DIS Veteran

subbing!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I can't imagine driving all that way without stopping - what great troopers you all were!!

I'm glad you were happy with your off-site hotel - great rates too! I've contemplated staying offsite to save money but I love the ease of Disney transportation too much (plus when we went in 1997 & rented a car, we never used it except to go back and forth to airport. There were 12 of us for 10 days and I thought having a car would be easier.)

Your kids are adorable! Am anxious to read the next chapter!
I think with our proximity, it was good, otherwise, I def. wanna try on-site for a next trip, as I just hated the driving down there! The idea of the busses just being there for me would be fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle_princess View Post
subbing!
Working on the next installment for today.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Chapter 4: Oct. 10th- Part II: MNSSHP!

So we headed back to the hotel for the swim, rest, change.
I wanted to have left the hotel about 3:15 at the latest, so we could be at the gate at 4.

Here's how it actually went down:

Arrived back to the hotel: 11:30ish
Swam from 11:45ish- 1:30ish
Changed by 2ish
Everyone ate snack of PB&Js, pretzels, and juice at 2:30ish, while watching TV. Kids in their cute costumes:

Unfortuneately, this is the only pictures I have in the kids for the party in their costumes. Because after we loaded into the car... (late! thanks to DH messing around on the computer saying he was doing 'homework' but he was actually playing solitaire! ) at 3:45ish, they looked like this:

Now, once we got under the wonderful sign:

DH suddenly gets into the left turn lane for the Hess station.

"What are you DOING?!" I squeal, looking at the 4:00 on the dashboard.
"Getting cigarettes," he says, "calm down."

I'm FUMING. By the time he gets out of the station, it's about 4:10ish. And guess what? THERE IS NO WAY TO GET BACK WHENCE WE CAME! So now we're on our way OUT of the park, almost back to World Drive, before we see a quick left turn that steers us BACK into the parking. I was MAD. THEN he turns into the WRONG parking, the AAA & disability parking, because he's not paying attention to signs- AGAIN .

We are quite irritated with each other by the time we pull into the parking spot. Some 45 MINUTES AFTER WE GOT THERE TO BEGIN WITH.

"45 minutes for a pack of cigarettes." I say. "Nice."

I won't tell you what he snapped back at me.

So now we rise our children. They are not happy. That whole swimming thing? No, def. not a good idea. They are exhausted. And now they are hot ini their costumes and proclaim to me they need to change. I plea to them to at least wait until we get to the TTC and maybe they will change their minds.

Well, we never did get that rain that night, even though I had those darn ponchos in my bag now. And it was HOT. Like, 95 hot. And humid. I don't think it got that hot all summer in Illinois. So the costumes were rolled up in mom's bag, and reg. clothes changed into. I don't know how some people walked around in the costumes they did. It was so darn hot for that! I mean, I was wearing a skirt, flip-flops, and a tee shirt and I was comfortable.

They are cranky on the monorail, but Dad and I are excited! We tell them we could get them a baby-sitter and go by ourselves! They don't like that idea.

So, I was pretty irritated before this point, I must say. I mean, we arrive into the parking lot about 4:45, and not to the front gate until about... I don't know... 5:10ish! In my head, I'm calculating that by the time we get to City Hall to get our buttons, down Main Street, have photopass taken, and over to Tommorowland to do Buzz (which Ebin has chosen as the First Ride), it will be 6 already! Two hours WASTED. #1 because DH wouldn't get his butt moving. #2 because he made a cigarette run that turned into a 45 minute mess.

But I have to tell you- I pulled it together. Everytime those thoughts shoved their way into my head, I PUSHED them out, determined NOT to be mad during our magical day. MY magical day. And I think I only reminded DH of his flaws..... 2 or 3 more times. Ok, maybe 4. At most. But getting to the Magic Kingdom can generally make anyone less mad, dontchathink?

Getting our bracelets:

Ebin kept touching this guys hat while he was putting on his sister's bracelet. I thought it was so funny.

In front of the entrance:

Warning: Do not attempt to haul yourself up onto that wall if you have passed your twenties. It nearly killed me.

Next up: Our first view EVER of Main Street, USA!

Last edited by julezdisney; 10-26-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
kmab00
DIS Veteran

Aww sorry they didn't want to keep the costumes on! They were cute anyway!!! Sorry for the rough start but I'm glad you got into the MK without any hassle and got started with the party! Can't wait to hear more!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
xoktenox
DIS Veteran

The kids look adorable in their costumes! Too bad they wanted to take them off but who can blame them in those temperatures.
7-8/13- BWV~~3/14- OKW~~ 8/14- AS Music, VGF & Pop~~ 10/14- SSR (2nd anniversary!)~~11/14- ?? (Chris' 30th birthday)

Current PTR: August 2014 Birthday & Anniversary Celebration with the (GASP!) Non-Believers

Old 10-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
tinkfan355
Mouseketeer

I just started reading your TR today and i love it!
Your kids looked so cute in their costumes! Too bad it was so hot.
November 2008- Villas at Wilderness Lodge. November 2009- Animal Kingdom Villas. April 2010- Boardwalk Villas.Sept. 2010- Bay Lake Towers.Nov. 2010- Saratoga Springs. Arpril 2011- Wilderness Lodge/Disney Dream December 2011- Saratoga Springs September 2012- Old Key West March/April 2013- Animal Kingdom Villas May 2013- Senior Class Trip at All Star Sports

Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Kimmy
Mouseketeer

Great TR! I like your pictures. Your kids looked cute in their costumes. I don't blame them for taking them off, because of the heat. I never could understand how the little girls could stand being in the princess dresses when it is 95+ degrees??? Your daughters hair looks so cute!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

I'm all caught up! Great update Julia! We probably just missed one another..really! We didn't get to the MK that night till after 5 as well. And we went to Tomorrowland first as well! Was that a Boba Fett costume? I think I saw a couple of those...Michael loves Star Wars but he wanted to be a knight this Halloween. I was really shocked at how my kids wanted to keep their costumes on...I totally wasn't expecting that!

I can't wait to hear about your first views of Main Street! It's so beautiful, isn't it?

Sara

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: