Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

A "hidden" attraction - Animation Academy

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who likes to draw or has kids who like to draw. I did TONS of research for 5 months before we went in late September and I don't remember reading anything about this.

If you do the Magic of Animation tour/attraction in Hollywood Studios, when you exit the Mushu lecture, be sure to take your time exploring the exit area. Not only are there interactive stations for coloring, sound, etc., you can meet Sorcerer Mickey and the Incredibles.

But the one thing I did not see in all my research was the fact that there is a 20 minute animation lesson you can take that will teach you to draw a character. The entrance for the class is kind of inconspicuous. There is a small rope area with a couple of benches. There are large sketches on the wall with a sign "Animation Academy." It's right near the sign that says "exit to park" so it's easy to miss if you're focused on moving on to the next thing. We almost missed it. But I ended up going back several times.

Some instructors are better than others, but if nothing else, it's cool, dark, sitting and rarely crowded (in September, at least).

Here's what I learned:

If you have any interest in animation or drawing, or are just curious to see how your Mickey would turn out, I encourage you to try it. This was one of those things that just grabbed me. I had no clue it existed and just happened upon it, but I will be sure to do it at least once each time we return.

Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
EnnEss
DIS Veteran

Ya, this is a great attraction. I dont draw and am really bad at it but they walk you through it so well even I may a great winnie the pooh. I wish they'd cut the pre show though, they dont have it in anaheim, the pre show. Really small complaint though for a great attraction.
EnnEss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
Macca1111
I wish I were at WDW!
I'm good at the graceful stuff
Why would you put Ivy in the title if it's never going to come up again?

The entrance to it used to be much more obvious, so those of us who have been going forever forget to mention it I think. The layout of the whole pavilion in fact used to make much more sense, before it essentially became a meet and greet. That combined with the time factor may make people overlook it, but as you pointed out it's a great experience. We draw something every time we've been.

Macca1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

I can stay there all day... you can also reach it by going in through the shop.

Last time (2 weeks ago) we had a special class and drew Tink!
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
disneydopey
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info, never knew you could do this, will be giving it a try now though.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpenguin View Post
Now, that's who I would love to learn how to draw!
tinkgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

weve done this a couple of times and its great fun - I am hoping to take DH and my pluto and frame them some how -

mine is much better than his

oh and I am so jealous someone got tink - our teacher said she was too hard!
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS December 7-15, 2013 - BCV Next Trip - Aulani December 10-12, 2014
kathymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpenguin View Post
Wow. What were the circumstances? Did you have a very small class or something? Last class of the night? I'd love to draw Scar, but they said he was too complicated for the class.

Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

There is no pre-show. The ENTRANCE to the attraction first takes you through a short show entitled Drawn to Animation, where you will learn how disney characters (currently Mushu) are created. Then you can walk into the Animation Station, where there are a variety of activities, including character meet and greets, interactive kiosks, and of course the Animation Academy, which is being talked about on this thread.

The shop is the EXIT of the attraction.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #10
centurythree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtewolfd View Post
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who likes to draw or has kids who like to draw. I did TONS of research for 5 months before we went in late September and I don't remember reading anything about this.

If you do the Magic of Animation tour/attraction in Hollywood Studios, when you exit the Mushu lecture, be sure to take your time exploring the exit area. Not only are there interactive stations for coloring, sound, etc., you can meet Sorcerer Mickey and the Incredibles.

But the one thing I did not see in all my research was the fact that there is a 20 minute animation lesson you can take that will teach you to draw a character. The entrance for the class is kind of inconspicuous. There is a small rope area with a couple of benches. There are large sketches on the wall with a sign "Animation Academy." It's right near the sign that says "exit to park" so it's easy to miss if you're focused on moving on to the next thing. We almost missed it. But I ended up going back several times.

Some instructors are better than others, but if nothing else, it's cool, dark, sitting and rarely crowded (in September, at least).

Here's what I learned:

If you have any interest in animation or drawing, or are just curious to see how your Mickey would turn out, I encourage you to try it. This was one of those things that just grabbed me. I had no clue it existed and just happened upon it, but I will be sure to do it at least once each time we return.
Wow, you're really talented! Mine didn't turn out anything like yours.

I think that it's a great attraction, too, and my family goes there at least once a trip.
centurythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #11
duketennisgal
DIS Veteran

I love animation academy. I've drawn Stich, Minnie, Mickey, Donald and Pluto. My Donald was oddly shaped but other than that I did a pretty good job, it was so much fun.

I actually prefer the one in Disney Quest though, it's easier to correct your mistakes with the computer and it seems like they give you a bit more time.
duketennisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

OHHH I know we just did this for the first time and loved it!!! I can't believe we never knew about it. We had Kathy as our teacher and thought she was the best!!! I will have pics in my TR.
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
Nalla
Disney Pup

Love it! This is one of my favorite things to do at Disney. Last time I got to hang out with the artists a few times after the classes. Timmy is definetely my favorite, he even drew a picture of Stitch for me :D
Nalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #14
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

We never had Timmy....Kathy was cool. She gave Tim a personal class on Donald after the show and gave him the picture she drew. She was cool! We loved her personality too and she was the easiest to draw with. She helped you out a lot.
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
DisDarling
Mouseketeer
I have yet to conquer any of the Mountains, they terrify me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalla View Post
Love it! This is one of my favorite things to do at Disney. Last time I got to hang out with the artists a few times after the classes. Timmy is definetely my favorite, he even drew a picture of Stitch for me :D
Agreed!! Timmy Britt is the Best one there, to bad he works at Disney Quest now.... we asked last month for him and thats what we were told.

Ames
DisDarling is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: