Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
jbird003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12

Character Performer Auditions

Hey everybody,

I am new to this board, but I have applied for the Disney College Program in Spring of 2009. I am planning on attending the character performer audition in Nashville in November.

Is this audition for fur characters and face characters? I am actually interested in being one of the princes.

Also, do you all have any tips that may help me out? I would love to hear about any experiences that you all have had at the Disney auditions.

Thanks!
jbird003
jbird003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
pr surfer
Beaches and Beers.
 
pr surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Isabela, Puerto Rico
Posts: 3,903

ygpm
__________________
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."
pr surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Ellagirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird003 View Post
Hey everybody,

I am new to this board, but I have applied for the Disney College Program in Spring of 2009. I am planning on attending the character performer audition in Nashville in November.

Is this audition for fur characters and face characters? I am actually interested in being one of the princes.

Also, do you all have any tips that may help me out? I would love to hear about any experiences that you all have had at the Disney auditions.

Thanks!
jbird003

I did entertaiment for my CP last year and I absolutley loved it!!! I went to the audition before i applied to the college program and i was so nervous but it turned out to be so fun! You arrive and sign in and they give u a name tag with a number on it. The everyone went into the dance studio where your picture is taken and they measure how tall you are. Everything is by height!! We learned a dance from one of the parades for about 45 minutes and then you learn how to animate. Then everyone leaves the room and then you go back in in small groups and you do it before the casting people. If you think you could do face then they will pull you in the back and see if your right for the part. If they think you'll fit for fur then they will give you a card.
Just know everyone does fur! Its hard and exhausting but very rewarding! And if they dont have the supplies at the audition to fit you for face then you will have to do it when you arrive.
I hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions!
Ellagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
MistressOfAllEvil
DIS Veteran
 
MistressOfAllEvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 793

I did the CP in 2006 and while I didn't apply for Entertainment, I ended up there after getting pulled by casting during check-in. I was somewhat thrown into an audition without really ever thinking about what something like that would be like.

Out of 8 of us that they pulled at check-in, they moved 5 of us over from our original roles. I ended up going back to my original role after about 3 months in entertainment. It just wasn't for me. But that's okay. There's lots of people like yourself who really want to do it. I'd rather make room for those people than take up a spot and not enjoy it.

Anyhow... as far as tips go... smile, Smile, SMILE!!! Even if you're messing up steps (which I did, because let's face it, I suck at movement) they'll love you if you're super up-beat.

For the animation portion, be over the top. If you feel incredibly ridiculous, kick it up a notch and you'll be spot on. Be as big and bold as you can with your motions. Oh, and smile. LOL.

PP is right. Everything is based on height. Although... everything is based on what they need, based on height. That's to say that my Disney height is different than my real height. The reason we all got pulled from check-in was b/c they need/wanted us for a specific role. That means that we needed to also be a certain height... even if we weren't.

GL, have fun & smile!
__________________
~ Wendy ~
I've been boo'd, thanks Lurkyloo!

My PJ and TR have been merged and can be found here.
MistressOfAllEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
jbird003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12

Height of the princes

Thanks for you all your help!

Does anyone know the height of the princes off the top of their head? I am 6 foot and I'm a little worried that I may be too tall.
jbird003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Ellagirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird003 View Post
Thanks for you all your help!

Does anyone know the height of the princes off the top of their head? I am 6 foot and I'm a little worried that I may be too tall.
i dont know the exact height but ur not too tall.
Ellagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
CliveO
Earning My Ears
 
CliveO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellagirl View Post
i dont know the exact height but ur not too tall.
I think you are gonna be to tall for that but you should still try to find another part!
CliveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird003 View Post
Thanks for you all your help!

Does anyone know the height of the princes off the top of their head? I am 6 foot and I'm a little worried that I may be too tall.
Princesses range between 5'4-5'7. I was measured at 5'7 and a quarter and am too tall. However, Maleficent is in your height range, so you still have a face option!
__________________
CHARACTER WEBSITE/PHOTOS:
WDWCharacterHunt UOCharacterHunt On Facebook
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
jbird003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12

Thanks for the responses!

Berlioz, I was actually talking about the princes like Cinderella's Prince or Snow White's Prince. I'm not sure I would make the best Maleficent...lol!

Have a great night!
jbird003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
simpsoncan2
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2

Here is a good 'what if' question. What if you try out for an audition and don't make it and you get another position as a CP, like merchandise? What are your chances or opportunities to get called upon, re-cast, or retry another audition for a character after you have started the CP?
simpsoncan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsoncan2 View Post
Here is a good 'what if' question. What if you try out for an audition and don't make it and you get another position as a CP, like merchandise? What are your chances or opportunities to get called upon, re-cast, or retry another audition for a character after you have started the CP?
Next to impossible. If you are hired as merchandise then you will not be asked to move to entertainment. They will describe this at your audition - but less than 50% of people who audition actually make it (last year about 250 people made it out of 700-900 auditioners) - if all of those people came to the program and started auditioning again then the rest of the CP departments would be in serious trouble... so entertainment will not take any CPs until they complete their contract with their current department.

Also, you are not allowed to audition more than once every 6 months, so that stops anyone interested in auditioning for entertainment once they arrive. They also wouldn't call a recast, because as it is there is already a multi-month waiting list for people who want to be in entertainment. This waiting list is for people who passed the audition, there were just no openings in their height ranges.

On the other side however, if you are still interested in being a character perform after your program you can audition during your last month. You can use this audition to extend into a new entertainment CP or to go seasonal.
__________________
CHARACTER WEBSITE/PHOTOS:
WDWCharacterHunt UOCharacterHunt On Facebook
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,809

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsoncan2 View Post
Here is a good 'what if' question. What if you try out for an audition and don't make it and you get another position as a CP, like merchandise? What are your chances or opportunities to get called upon, re-cast, or retry another audition for a character after you have started the CP?

Not very likely, unfortunately. Once you are given your role for the CP, that's your role. If you are planning on extending though, you can audition again at the end of the CP.
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
MarinaAndCharlie
Photopass Photographer Spring 2010!
 
MarinaAndCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
Next to impossible. If you are hired as merchandise then you will not be asked to move to entertainment. They will describe this at your audition - but less than 50% of people who audition actually make it (last year about 250 people made it out of 700-900 auditioners) - if all of those people came to the program and started auditioning again then the rest of the CP departments would be in serious trouble... so entertainment will not take any CPs until they complete their contract with their current department.

Also, you are not allowed to audition more than once every 6 months, so that stops anyone interested in auditioning for entertainment once they arrive. They also wouldn't call a recast, because as it is there is already a multi-month waiting list for people who want to be in entertainment. This waiting list is for people who passed the audition, there were just no openings in their height ranges.

On the other side however, if you are still interested in being a character perform after your program you can audition during your last month. You can use this audition to extend into a new entertainment CP or to go seasonal.
Concerning character pool only:

So if you get put into the character pool because your height range is full, as I understand it, you wait until they call you letting you know they need you and at some point you decide whether you want to wait forever or go ahead and sign on for another role... right? If you choose to wait it out, what happens if they don't call you? Could someone explain this a little better, maybe with a timeframe?

If you choose to accept a different role instead of waiting to be called, do you remain on the list for character and if they need you, they'll pull you from your current role and put you in entertainment or do you completely sign off from that when you accept your other role?

This is purely hypothetical concerning being put into a character pool because your height range is full!
MarinaAndCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,809

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaAndCharlie View Post
Concerning character pool only:

So if you get put into the character pool because your height range is full, as I understand it, you wait until they call you letting you know they need you and at some point you decide whether you want to wait forever or go ahead and sign on for another role... right? If you choose to wait it out, what happens if they don't call you? Could someone explain this a little better, maybe with a timeframe?

If you choose to accept a different role instead of waiting to be called, do you remain on the list for character and if they need you, they'll pull you from your current role and put you in entertainment or do you completely sign off from that when you accept your other role?

This is purely hypothetical concerning being put into a character pool because your height range is full!
That's right. You have to wait until they call you. If they don't call you by the time it is time for you to leave, you would have to decide if you wanted another role (and hopefully one would be available).

If you choose another role for the CP, that would be your role for the CP.
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Jedi Jenn
Earning My Ears
 
Jedi Jenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 29

Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying for the Disney Internship. I have my application in and my interview on Thrusday. My friend and I are going to go audition to be Character Preformers. My dream is to be Belle, but I know everyone and their mom wants to be Belle, so I'm not holding my breath but I am hopeful.

I do have several questions for y'all who have been through the audition process. I've never auditioned for anything before and I am really nervous but I think having my questions answered will help.

1) Are characters chosen just by height. Like for the Princesses are they just looked at by height or does weight go into account too. I'm not overweight at all, but I am not a stick either, I have curves and I'm scared that will hold me back from being chosen as a character.

2) For the singing part of the audition is it better to choose a more Disney-like song or reach out to show more of your range. I really like the songs from Rent, but I don't know if they are too, er, raunchy for what I'm auditioning for. I also am considering doing some songs from Wicked.

Also, did you guys have to bring your own sheet music?

3) Is it better to dress professionally or comfortably?

Hmm, I think that is it for now.

Thanks to everyone!
Jedi Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: