Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

fish extender gift giving etiquette

Can someone direct me to a thread
on the "ins and outs" of the Fish Extender gifties -
How you give them?
To who do you give them?
When do you give them?
Do you do it anonymously?
Do you give them to everyone?
Do you do it for everyday?
What type of things do you give?
I don't want to be guilty of a Fish Extender faux pas!
HELP!
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
seadooken
Got a Caribbean Soul I can Barely Control . . .

Good questions, I would like to hear for myself.
seadooken is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

First, have you joined your cruise meet thread? Have they organized a FE exchange?

We had a couple of organizers on our cruise meet thread who also made all of our FE's for everyone. They asked who wanted to participate (everybody on our thread did) and then they sort of made a schedule and PM'd it to all of us so that someone was assigned to every day and not everybody did the same day. Some people went ahead and delivered trinkets every day tho anyway I think 'cuz we usually had a couple of things per day. People deliver their items whenever they can fit it into their day. No set time. Ours was set up to be anonymous but we were pretty much able to figure out who gave what anyway based on the items they gave.

We got things like a small dry erase board, a lanyard, frig. magnets, Disney pencils and post-it note pads, stickers, candles, picture frames, candy, sand dollars etc. I made little gift bags to give and included a pen from a local national event, I made frig. magnets and luggage tags and also included some pirate stickers and a magnetic photo frame.

What you need to establish first tho is if there is a group doing a FE exchange on your cruise!! Go over to the cruise meet threads and look for a thread for your ship and cruise dates!! Join the thread and find out if one has been started yet!

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
seadooken
Got a Caribbean Soul I can Barely Control . . .

Sounds like a lot of fun. Do people wrap the gifts?
seadooken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
First, have you joined your cruise meet thread? Have they organized a FE exchange?!
Yep - we've got a thread - I started it long ago

Some of the DIS members on the thread are participating-
but not all. We do know the room numbers.

So far we don't have assigned days.

Thanks for the info you supplied.

Anyone else have any advise on this Fishy thing?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Each group does it a bit different. Like Annie we've had a sign up and a cut off date to give people a chance to make/buy their gifts. Here is what our fish extender looked like one morning last years Member Cruise.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWLVR View Post
Each group does it a bit different. Like Annie we've had a sign up and a cut off date to give people a chance to make/buy their gifts. Here is what our fish extender looked like one morning last years Member Cruise.

WOW - where'd you get that cool FE!?!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
WOW - where'd you get that cool FE!?!
Got if off of ebay back in 2005. I believe it is the same that were given as gifts on the 2005 WB repo cruise (where the whole FE thing got started). The DISer who started it I think was from Ohio and so was this woman on Ebay who was selling them.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Mjasp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWLVR View Post

I have this same one with Pooh and i love it...E bay has them for $1.00 but they are charging $8.00 shipping, still $9.00 total isn't bad
June 2011- Carnival Glory August 2011- Disney Dream
February 2010- NCL Gem, June 2010- Carnival Glory
April 2008- Disney Wonder Land & Sea, November 2008- Disney Magic
August 2007- RCCL Explorer of the Seas
February 2006- Costa Mediterranea
August 2004- 10 day Disney Magic- Thanks Hurricane Frances
May 2002 Disney Magic Western Inaugural
Mjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
mommylovesdisneymore
DIS Veteran

Yes I got the blue one off ebay but i think i paid 5.99 shipping
Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
NotSoLittleMermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscoehill View Post
Would love to see a close up pic of a fish extender. I'd like to try and make one for our upcoming cruise! Can pm me with it if you want.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amwhitaker View Post
Anyone have any good ideas where I can find an inexpensive FE? I sure wish the Dollar Store would sell them!
I bought this Xmas stocking off eBay and embellished it. I hung it up with a ribbon. It worked great! I think it worked better than the pocket ones because it had more room for bulkier/heavier gifts. Plus the gifts could be down inside the stocking instead of sticking out where people could see them. Unfortunately, we did have a problem with some people's gifts being stolen!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #12
NotSoLittleMermaid
DIS Veteran

A gift that we got on our WB that I haven't seen mentioned was a music CD. We actually got 2 different ones--that was a neat gift and not that costly to make.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
mommylovesdisneymore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLittleMermaid View Post
I bought this Xmas stocking off eBay and embellished it. I hung it up with a ribbon. It worked great! I think it worked better than the pocket ones because it had more room for bulkier/heavier gifts. Plus the gifts could be down inside the stocking instead of sticking out where people could see them. Unfortunately, we did have a problem with some people's gifts being stolen!

too cute
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
adnil530
I'm someone's special someone....he's special too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLittleMermaid View Post

That is a great idea. We will be going at Christmas time, it wouldn't be too forward to hang a stocking from our fish hanger would it.

There are 4 of us, but I can tie them onto a nautical rope with bows or something.

I'm going to work on it. Thanks for a great idea.

DL: Often 40+ years WDW: 1990; 2005; 2008; 2009; 2010; 2011, 2013 Disney Cruises:Magic Bahamas January 20, 2014; Wonder December 9, 2012 Eastbound Panama Canal; Wonder Mexican Riviera November 18, 2012; Wonder Pacific Coast Cruise September 30, 2012; Wonder April 1, 2012 Mexican Riviera; Dream December 29, 2011 5 day New Years Double Dip - Bahamas; Wonder May 31, 2011 Vancouver-Alaska; 10/31/2010 Magic Western Caribbean; Magic 4/25/09 1st trip to Tortola -Roy Suite;
Wonder Bahamas & Poly 12/14/208 and got hooked! Up and Coming:; DL celebrating daughter's 18th B'day May 16, 2014; Wonder May 17, 2014 2 Nt to Nowhere; Wonder b2bMay 17, 2015 2 nt to Nowhere & May 19, 2015 Mexico
adnil530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Best thing is... your fish extender gets to be whatever you want it to be...

& yes.. mine was an Xmas stocking!!! There were plenty and it was in May...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: