Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Geeks go for broke! Updated 2/17: Wrap-up

It's time.
Gather 'round, everyone. I'm going to tell you a little story:

Once upon a time, there was a young lady named Erica. She lived in a little house far, far away in a town called Casselberry, Florida. It was not far from Disney World, where she frequently traveled with her prince, Lionel. It was also not far from a place called Port Canaveral, where the charming couple vowed to return every September since their first trip on the Wonder in 2005.

Oh. Did we mention they were geeks? Geeks who like to drink?

Yes, it is THAT kind of trip report. Err, PRE-trip report.

The cast!

Erica, me, 33 years old and still a child at heart. A child who can buy rum.
Lionel, DH, 36 years old. Geek. Cute geek, but a geek nonetheless.

Aren't we cute?

Sarah, DF, 28 or 29 or some nebulous younger-than-me age. Another cute geek. Cute CANADIAN geek.
Mat, DF, Sarah's DBF, 30? 31? Maybe I shouldn't be posting ages without permission, eh? Especially when I don't even know. Well, anyhow, he's a geek too. AND he's from Texas.

They give us a run for our schmoopy.

Also joining us will be a few hundred DISers and their families! We are officially the "Double Dip Delight". We even have a logo. That's what happens when you cruise with geeks.

We booked this cruise about a million or so years ago when it first became available, and for a long time it has seemed ridiculously far away. But now? Now it is only four months away and I am starting to panic, because I have nothing planned yet. This would not be a huge deal if we were going on another Wonder cruise, because I know Nassau and CC well enough to get by on such short notice. Cozumel and Costa Maya, however, are two different ball games. And there's that whole second day at CC thing to contend with.

I'm way behind!

So I will be using this as an update tool in addition to a place for a series of lists for myself. My first list follows:

Things to do this weekend:
  1. Anxiously await the arrival of my 2008 Passporter

Ok, that's really it so far.

I do have other things to do, but I think they can wait. Like, getting an actual FORMAL dress. Very exciting. And probably getting Lionel a new tie or two. And maybe a new pair of Crocs sandals. And fish extender gifts. And.....

Oh dear. Panic is setting in again.

More to come soon, stay posted and thanks for reading!!!!

Last edited by zweihund; 02-17-2009 at 02:41 PM.
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Bethipooh4
My daughter says I am to mean to work at Disney!

pssst...your title says 07....

I think you are little late for the cruise..LOL
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Mozart
There's one in every crowd...and it's usually me

Noone is interested in your report.
Magic 7 Night Eastern - 11/08 - Life Stinks Season 3
Wonder 3 Night - 04/10 - Life Stinks Season 4
10th Anniversary at Victoria and Albert's

Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethipooh4 View Post
pssst...your title says 07....

I think you are little late for the cruise..LOL
I KNEW I was planning too late!
I think for last year's TR I originally wrote '08 too. Can you believe they let me take care of patients all day?

Note to self: buy calendar. Consult daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
Noone is interested in your report.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Bethipooh4
My daughter says I am to mean to work at Disney!

Don't listen to Mozart, I, for one am thrilled you are writing another TR.

I even read Mozart's.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
tinkerbell34
wishinguponastar

I am SO happy to see you writing a new pre trip report! I am surprising my son with a cruise on the Wonder Sept 7th for his 10th birthday (our 1st cruise ever). I spent a few nights reading your past trip reports and laughing so hard that my son runs in to ask me what the heck I'm laughing at. Do you know how hard it is to keep this cruise a secret when I"m laughing my butt off???? I think I have mastered the turn and duck of the lap top so he can't partake in my amusement. I took a cue from one of your last trip reports and bought a new pair of crocs sandals for our cruise. I also really can't wait to try one of those coffee drinks you mentioned.........along with a bahama mama (I am a foo foo drink person). I will look forward, with anticipation, at following your new adventure!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Ok Erica... Planky and I just got off the 15 night PC Repo cruise...

You've got a LOT of catching up to do!!!!

Planky likes shopping.....

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkandmjsmommy View Post

She does have a fanclub, we are called the Dis Double Dippers I have a feeling this cruise is going to be VERY interesting with Erica along add in alcohol and we have a Huge Party Planned
You have NO IDEA what you are in for *rubs hands together and smiles evilly*

Wait, evilly? Is that a word? I guess it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
Has Lionel ever referred to you as Monica? (Friends reference for those of you who are confused.)
I sometimes refer to myself that way! Organized geeks are the worst kind of geeks. SOMEONE I know, and we won't mention names (but it rhymes with SMARAH) keeps a notebook for her online gaming. But I won't say who. I'd hate to emberass her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda9mm View Post
Hi!

We'll be sailing with you!

DH and I are also geeks. You're in good company.

Meredith in Utah
Yay Meredith! The more geeks, the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Ok Erica... Planky and I just got off the 15 night PC Repo cruise...

You've got a LOT of catching up to do!!!!

Planky likes shopping.....
Welcome back Michelle! I can't wait to see the pics.....I'm avidly following Planky's report.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

In case anyone had any doubts about my anal-retentive planning capabilities:

Revel in the sticky notes. Go on. You know you want to.

In case anyone is wondering, those are the little tab-sized stickies which are AWESOME. They have just enough room to write a little something, they are easily removable, and thay are pretty to boot

Also, I would like to point your attention to the yellow folders on the left. This is my first experience with the deluxe version of the passporter, and I am so impressed! Not only are those little yellow pages POCKETS, but they have little places for you to write down all of the details of your trip. This is a great idea even if you are not a self-indulgent-alcoholic-TR-writing-junkie like myself. It comes with 13 of these little babies! Plus, there are several pockets in the binder itself which you can fill with plane tickets, passports, extra cash, or maybe a ginger chew or two. Oh! And it has the ability to remove unnecessary pages.

I give it three little green-smilie thumbs up:

Thanks to my nifty tab system, we were able to quickly pare down some of the excursions. Currently, we are planning to do the Castaway Cay getaway package for both days, which includes a float, a bike and snorkel gear. I don't know if we will use all of them each day, but it's a great deal and leaves our options open. We are also considering the walking and kayak nature adventure, which received a 7/10 rating, but Lionel is a bit concerned about the whole tiny-vessel-in-the-ocean thing. Which, to be perfectly honest, is totally understandable after our experience with the jet ski eco tour. It is still in the running, but falls down a rung every time I mention it.

Of the three Cozumel excursions we were considering, I am strongly leaning toward the Punta Sur eco park and snorkel. It is well rated, and you get a nice variety of sightseeing and beach time. Plus, we can snorkel if the mood hits. Other contenders were the Xcaret eco park (which is nixed because it is a 7.5 hour excursion and we have short attention spans), the Fury catamaran party (45 minutes on a rocking catamaran? with free drinks? that could go either way), and the dune buggy and snorkel combo (which is $40 more than the other snorkel excursion for almost the same thing).

For Costa Maya, we have pretty much settled on the Chaccohoben Mayan ruins, which apparently has nothing to do with chocolate despite its appearance. It has a pyramid! The closest I have ever been to a pyramid was Epcot's Mexico pavillion and the pool area at Coronado Springs resort.

I'm still looking into spa appointments. And trying to decide what night and days we want to do Palo. I only have 30 more days to decide all of these things. PRESSURE!

Note(s) to self:
  • call Mat
  • email Sarah
  • tie DH down and force him to make a decision with me

That should pretty much do it. My goal is to have most of this planned out by the weekend, so I can start focusing on other things. Like formal wear.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweihund View Post
In case anyone had any doubts about my anal-retentive planning capabilities:

Revel in the sticky notes. Go on. You know you want to.

LOVE the tabs in the picture!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Quote:

For Costa Maya, we have pretty much settled on the Chaccohoben Mayan ruins, which apparently has nothing to do with chocolate despite its appearance. It has a pyramid! The closest I have ever been to a pyramid was Epcot's Mexico pavillion and the pool area at Coronado Springs resort.

Chocolate ....pyramid....maybe you are on to something!!!!!

Glad to see you are writing now...wish we could sail away with you, but alas the 3 y.o. Russian speaking child would be overwhelmed with DH's behavior...remember the YMCA picture from my TR...

I will be anxiously awaiting more.......

.....and you're right...I think that Mozart is jealous that you are going 1st

che
chepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
CrazyZeus1
Matching Shirts Rock!

We can't wait to sail with you too! Sounds like you, um, earned a reputation?

HEATHER
CrazyZeus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Mozart
There's one in every crowd...and it's usually me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepic View Post

.....and you're right...I think that Mozart is jealous that you are going 1st

che
My cruise is better than her cruise, though.

Yes, I shall turn into a 6 year old and play the "I am rubber and you are glue" game if I have to.

P.S. Rethink Tulum if it's not on your list. That place is gorgeous.
Magic 7 Night Eastern - 11/08 - Life Stinks Season 3
Wonder 3 Night - 04/10 - Life Stinks Season 4
10th Anniversary at Victoria and Albert's

Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #14
KristinK
Earning My Ears

Quote:
the Fury catamaran party (45 minutes on a rocking catamaran? with free drinks? that could go either way),
Erica,

After reading your previous PTR's & TR's, and giddily recognizing a bit (ok - a lot, if you must know... ) of myself in your personality/lifestyle (i.e., anal-retentive, alcoholic, obsessive planner, alcoholic, etc.), I highly recommend the above excursion!

My mom and I did the Fury Catamaran Sail & Snorkel on our Western cruise in Sept 2006, and OMG did we have a great time!!!

The Fury folks (awesome tour company ) met us at the pier and we hopped on the huge catamaran and sailed out to the snorkeling site. The reef had suffered some damage from hurricanes the previous year, so they took us out fairly deep to snorkel...as this was my first snorkeling experience, I wasn't crazy about the depth - I kept worrying about water getting in my snorkel and drowning...however, it was really cool and got even better when we reboarded the cat! Once you were finished and turned in your snorkel gear, the bar on board was open to you !!

They had beer and awesome margaritas !! And, boy, do they keep them coming Once everyone is back onboard, they set sail for their private beach area (about 1/2 hour to 45 min away) with the music cranking and lots of dancing and partying on the cat! And the drinks keep flowing...

The private beach is cool and the way they bring the cat into shore is an experience in itself! There were lots of fun and interesting things to do at their beach (water trikes, kayaks, sand volleyball, floaties, etc.) and a bar! More margaritas anyone?? Mom and I were taking it easy - we just grabbed floaties and a margarita and floated about until we were called back in (early, because a HUGE black storm cloud was just on the horizon and working its ugly way toward us!)

Here was where the real fun began for us, and all I can say is thank goodness we had been imbibing all afternoon because the trip back would have the he** out of me otherwise! About 5 or 10 minutes after we left the shore, the storm hit us HARD! There was wind, rain, lightening, hail, and margaritas! The Fury crew had to put on the snorkeling masks in order to drive the boat, but they kept the music playing, and the bars open! People were cowering under tables, wrapping themselves up in anything they could to protect their skin from the hail and wind-blown rain that felt like rocks/needles pounding your skin...but I just found a little cover by sitting under the front edge of the bar , wrapped up in my towel. Each time I got to the bottom of my cup, I just reached up to the bar and low and behold, when I brought it back down, it was full again!

Eventually, the storm blew on by, and folks crept out from their hiding spots back up onto the deck and began dancing and reliving the harrowing experience!

The Fury crew was unbelievable, and we tipped them VERY WELL at the end! We did have an unusual experience, but we had a blast! Those Fury folks know how to throw a party!!

The only minor snafu was that upon our return to Cozumel, where we had a few hours to explore before reboarding the Magic, was the fact that we were pretty annihilated from our party on the catamaran We danced at Senor Frogs, ran the streets trying to find the good Louis Vuitton knock-offs, and then spent an inordinate amount of time trying to locate a "bano" to use! We were finally welcomed at a jewelry store, of all places, where they offered us free shots of tequila after our quick potty stop! Of course, we had to be polite, so it's actually a wonder we ever found our way back to the pier - on time no less...

Anyway,sorry so long - I intended to just say that it's a great excursion, but somehow felt compelled to share why...

PS - Sadly, I lost my mom (and best-friend) very unexpectedly this past February, so maybe that's part of why I rambled on with this tale...

I am sure that whichever excursion you choose, you will make the most of it and have a ball! Enjoy!

Kris
KristinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Hi Erica!!!

Sorry I haven't had the chance to catch up yet... life caught up after the Repo...

But someone on our thread just posted this and I instantly thought of you... I think it may make a nice summertime drink!!!

Creamsicle Margarita recipe
Ingredients
1 1/4 oz gold tequila
3 oz orange juice
1 oz sweet and sour mix
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
6 oz crushed ice

Mixing instructions
Blend all ingredients until slushy. Serve in a margarita glass.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: