Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
ljb9539
Mouseketeer

Packing Items - What strange/helpful items do you pack???

We are starting to pack for our vacation in a couple weeks and I am reading so many great ideas from the boards I wanted to see what other items people would mention.

This is our first trip with a child - DD will turning 1 at the park. Since we have never traveled with a little one - I wonder - what kind of items helped you during your trip.

Someone mentioned clothes pins to hang wet bathing suits (would never have thought of that). Or traveling with wire hangers to hang lots of clothes so not just living in the dressers.

Any other cool ideas on what non-traditional items to pack?

Thakns in advance.
Laura
Old 04-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

My kids are older but I have a few things in quart szie ziplock bags that we always take along when traveling. The zip locks are packed with like items to make things easy to find. Off hand, one has several binder clips - can be used used as clothes pins but smaller and have more uses, a roll of tape, rubber bands, some safety pins in various sizes, a mini flashlight, caribener clips etc. Another has laundry items, travel size wrinkle away stuf and a tide to go stick, a few dryer sheets, a travel size of All small and mighty (does many loads) and a roll of quarters. Another has a travel size lysol, a nightlight and a glade plug in. I don't bring hangers (a good idea though) but we have always been able to get as many as we need from housekeeping upon request. I also bring along extra ziplocks in gallon and quart sizes.

Since you have an infant I would put together a bag with baby proofing equipment and maybe bring a monitor so you could sit on the balcony. With a child that age, in addition to the obvious, I would probably bring some dish soap and a bottle washer thingy. I think I would spend $ on disposable bibs, placemats and even the take and toss type cups and bowls, not something you may normally use but great for a vacation.

I also bring along two dollar store over the door shoe holders, they are great for keeping things neat but handy. Things like sunscreen, sunglasses, lanyards, and kids toys can be easly put away and then found for a quick am departure.

Not directly in reply to your OP but when my kids were babies a sling or snugly was a lifesaver for lines and in the pavilions where a stroller isn't allowed. We also bought a clip on umbrella for our stroller for extra coverage and a clip on fan for comfort and while noise while sleeping.

eta - An extension cord, I always bring one and more times than not I need it
Have fun,
TJ

Last edited by tjmw2727; 04-19-2008 at 10:03 AM.
tjmw2727 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
chiefs614
Badmamajama

portable dvd/tv.its a godsend for flights and even can be hooked up to the tv in your hotel room.
chiefs614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
stacy6552
Keep to the code!

ziploc quart bags, keep a box with you.

A package for table toppers (babies r us) for baby's finger foods. A total must.

SHOES! for baby. I saw this little girl once bearfooted, rolling a cigurette butt between her toes. And my new white shoes got totally black, so bring something for baby's feet. Bleck!

A front baby carrier. There are places the stroller cant go that baby can. If its a front carrier baby can stay in it on rides and in shows.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
james'mommy
I've always been a green stripe kinda girl
I love you Sweatpea

I always take lots of ziploc bags and duct tape. Since you're staying within the states duct tape isn't as crucial. Never ever buy duct tape outside the states. Oh and I always take new unopened bottles of liquid meds and throw them out at the end of the trip. For some reason if I fly with open bottles they leak like crazy even through the ziplock bags.
james'mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
sandiegosusie
DIS Veteran

One of the best tips that I have come across is putting together a dining cup...1 disposable (take and toss) cup with sippy seal. Add 1 table topper, 1 bibster and a few wipes in a ziploc bag. Keep the cup with all of the neccessities in your diaper bag or back pack. Your can either throw the whole "pack" away after or meal or keep the sippy and replenish in your hotel room. I thought that was a nice, compact way to have everything all together.

I would probably add some Cheerios to it to keep your daughter happy as well...

DCLWonder 2003
DCL Wonder 2007
DCL Magic 2009
DCL Dream 2013
DL annual passholders...too many trips to count.
WL 2003
CSR 2007
POR 2008
POFQ 2009
CR 2011
sandiegosusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
ljb9539
Mouseketeer

Thanks All.

All of these ideas are wonderful - thank you so much. I have some shopping to do this weekend

Hope all of you have a magical Disney vacation.

Laura
Old 04-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
jessp1021
*Dreamin of Disney*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegosusie View Post
One of the best tips that I have come across is putting together a dining cup...1 disposable (take and toss) cup with sippy seal. Add 1 table topper, 1 bibster and a few wipes in a ziploc bag. Keep the cup with all of the neccessities in your diaper bag or back pack. Your can either throw the whole "pack" away after or meal or keep the sippy and replenish in your hotel room. I thought that was a nice, compact way to have everything all together.

I would probably add some Cheerios to it to keep your daughter happy as well...
I will be traveling with my 14mo old in Sept and that is such a great idea!! Thanks!
'06 Honeymoon..Brought back an extra special souvenir..our own little minnie mouse 9mo's later!!! '07 First Family Trip '08 First time on the Dining Plan AND first flight for both kids '10 Birthday Celebration trip for DS '12 Princess Trip for DD '14 Birthday Celebration for DD

"A Christian walks by FAITH...not by FEELINGS"
jessp1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
stcassidy
Mouseketeer

thanks for the great ideas

Love the shoe holder for the bathroom supplies!!! I need to go and get one.

thanks for the great ideas.
stcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
adell557
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp1021 View Post
I will be traveling with my 14mo old in Sept and that is such a great idea!! Thanks!
I agree, I have an 18 month old and that is a great idea for him. Thanks and keep the tips coming!!
adell557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
LoveTwoTravel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp1021 View Post
We did this several years ago (and I actually keep one in my diaper bag everyday) and it worked out well. I pre-made the cup-packs in quart sized plastic zip bags (Kroger's are cheap and work well--they are thick). I took 3 to the park each day per child. If this seems like a lot of zipper bags, then you could actually make one cup with x3 plastic bibs, utensils, etc. and stack the cup in 2 other cups, making one bag with enough for 3 meals.

We've been a bunch! Still love it!

LoveTwoTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #12
Beehn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james'mommy View Post
Never ever buy duct tape outside the states.
Why?
Beehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
kirstiebird
Mouseketeer

Tummy medicine (just in case) and cherios (or whatever you usually munch on) -- food may be too rich for a 1 year old. And wet ones for the whole family!!!

And for any trip to DW, I cannot live without a collapsable laundry hamper -- everyone seems to generate much more laundry than at home and if you don't have a way to keep it together, your room will be a total mess!
kirstiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
coolbeans
What was that yellow bar?
I, a huge fan of Mr. Potato Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb9539 View Post
Someone mentioned clothes pins to hang wet bathing suits (would never have thought of that). Or traveling with wire hangers to hang lots of clothes so not just living in the dressers.
I am using both of these ideas this trip!! I bought the big plastic clothespins to hold a towel on the stroller too.
Also caribiner clips, they hold everything! We use one on the backpack to hang hats from, to keep shopping bags on the stroller, to hold an extra pacificer, tons of uses!!
August 13-23, 2008 Port Orleans Riverside with Hurricane Fay that wouldn't go away!!
All Star Movies June 2004
coolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Disneylush
DIS Veteran

I just returned today and all I can think of is liquid hand soap! the soap is bar soap and it got stuck under my wedding ring and I now have a huge infection ring on my finger rather than my wedding ring.

This was also my first trip w/o my over the door shoe rack (a cheap one from the dollar store) and I wish I would have had it for all the bathroom stuff (tooth brushes, hairbrushes, hair clips, q-tips, su screen, bandaids, etc.)
Disneylush is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: