Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Kellylynn3
Mouseketeer

Help! Boyfriend Doesn't "Get" Disney.

Hello, I'm new to disboards.com but I'm anxious to hear everyone's advice. My boyfriend and I ( we're both 19) are planning a trip to WDW in August. I'm beyond excited, it will be my second trip, first time staying on site. (Also I believe I was around 9 or 10 the first time). My boyfriend has never been. As I mentioned before I am overly excited counting down the days till our departure (August 11th). My boyfriend is excited that I'm excited but is more so going along with the trip to please me. Any ideas how to get him pumped up for the trip. I don't think he gets just how amazing WDW is and that it's not just another theme park. Please I need ideas.
Kellylynn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
summerlandjeff
Friend of Mankind

This might be foolish but... how about just letting it hit him when he gets there?

You know the "I never knew Disney was like this !" thing that you always hear from Disney sceptics. They always say "what's so big about an amusement park ", then they can't wait to go back next year to try all the things they missed.

Or... try getting the guides (PassPorter, Birnbaum's, etc.) and have him go through them to plan the trip! I'm sure at 19, he is into thrill rides and what is more thrilling than Mission Space, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest.....

Enjoy!

A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish. na na na na na na
summerlandjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Kellylynn3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlandjeff View Post
This might be foolish but... how about just letting it hit him when he gets there?

You know the "I never knew Disney was like this !" thing that you always hear from Disney sceptics. They always say "what's so big about an amusement park ", then they can't wait to go back next year to try all the things they missed.

Or... try getting the guides (PassPorter, Birnbaum's, etc.) and have him go through them to plan the trip! I'm sure at 19, he is into thrill rides and what is more thrilling than Mission Space, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest.....

Enjoy!
I've been watching all the Travel Channel shows with him and he does seem excited about the thrills, especially Mission Space. However, I'm a little weary of Mission Space because of stories I've heard from my mother and grandmother (who love thrill rides btw). Has anyone been on the less intense version?

Missing The Mouse
Many Years Ago - Offsite
Aug 2008 - POFQ

No trips planned as of right now, but aiming for As Soon As Possible
Old 04-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

the less intense verison is still kinda intense. However, it didn't give me that feeling that I couldn't breathe because someone was sitting on my chest. To me, nothing in the effect of the ride was really lost. I have been on the regular verison a couple of times.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
KayLuvsMickey
DIS Veteran

Just be excited, then when he gets there show him the things you love about Disney and I'm sure he will fall in love too!

If not, there is always girl's weekend trips!
2010 CBR
2009 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Pop
2005 Swan
1995 Port, French quarter
KayLuvsMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

I rode the "intense" version of Mission:space just to say I did it.

From now on, I'll stick to the less intense version (which is still pretty thrilling).

I'll echo the sentiment of another poster in this thread: You get all the special effects from the ride and none of the "Oh my god, there's a VW Bug on my chest and I think my head might explode" feelings of the more intense ride.

I'm a thrill ride junkie...roller coasters, spinning rides, drop rides...you name it. That's one of the reasons I did the higher intensity version of Mission:Space. I can now say, after having done it, I prefer the less intense version.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Kellylynn3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal824 View Post
the less intense verison is still kinda intense. However, it didn't give me that feeling that I couldn't breathe because someone was sitting on my chest. To me, nothing in the effect of the ride was really lost. I have been on the regular verison a couple of times.
one of the main problems my mom said she had with it was that she felt like she couldn't breath. Also my mom and I can both tend to be claustrophobic but it depends on the situations. Is the spinning sensation the more intense version offers what can give off the "not being able to breath" feeling?

Missing The Mouse
Many Years Ago - Offsite
Aug 2008 - POFQ

No trips planned as of right now, but aiming for As Soon As Possible
Old 05-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
disneyismyname
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellylynn3 View Post
I've been watching all the Travel Channel shows with him and he does seem excited about the thrills, especially Mission Space. However, I'm a little weary of Mission Space because of stories I've heard from my mother and grandmother (who love thrill rides btw). Has anyone been on the less intense version?

I have been on the MORE INTENSE version (if this helps you). Because my brother and I are young and I did think it would be that INTENSE but MAAN!!! I almost had to use the barf bags in there!! I had a headache the rest of the day at Epcot!! My bro didnt mind it and went straight to the Test Track line right after it!! If you get car sick easily .. go with the less intense version of the ride.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
I Love Donald
a HUGE Jellyrolls fan!

Disney is something you just have to experience before you fall in love with it. I am 32 years old and was just at Disney for the first time back in September. Before then I had no idea what the big deal was, and now I am completely hooked!! We love it so much we became DVCers. It's great because there is something for everyone. It will be fun for you to see his reactions to the great things at Disney that you already know & love. Your boyfriend will just have to experience it for himself. Have a fantastic time!

AKL - Sept. 2007 - HHN 2007
BWV - June 2008
MK - Dec. 1st 2008 (Norwegian Gem)
SSV - May 16th - May 24th 2009
BCV - Sept. 30th - October 6th, 2009

Epcot Food & Wine Festival, MNSSHP, HHN 2009

BWV - April 30th - May 8th, 2010
I Love Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Forevryoung
DIS Veteran

I was in the same boat in Jan. Exactly the same boat. I planned the trip for 8 months, obsessed about it down to the last detail. DBF never got it.

I planned the trip with him in mind- he hates rides. He loves food. He hates walking (yea yea). He likes naps... We took things at his pace. I knew I would be back again.

He had a "good time" if you ask him now. He understands why I love the place but would never choose to go back. It's not his type of vacation. I knew that, I just wanted to share it with him (we are no longer dating but are best friends).

His favorite rides: Liberty Square River Boat, El Rio Del Tiempo, Killamanjaro Safari

His favorite evening: Le Cellier (best meal!) and Illuminations on the last night
Forevryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
DisneyMagick2008
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevryoung View Post
...he hates rides.
How could anybody hate rides ?
DisneyMagick2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Rainwater
It comes down to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellylynn3 View Post
Hello, I'm new to disboards.com but I'm anxious to hear everyone's advice. My boyfriend and I ( we're both 19) are planning a trip to WDW in August. I'm beyond excited, it will be my second trip, first time staying on site. (Also I believe I was around 9 or 10 the first time). My boyfriend has never been. As I mentioned before I am overly excited counting down the days till our departure (August 11th). My boyfriend is excited that I'm excited but is more so going along with the trip to please me. Any ideas how to get him pumped up for the trip. I don't think he gets just how amazing WDW is and that it's not just another theme park. Please I need ideas.
Until he experiences Disney you really can tell him what its going to be like. If after his first experience he still does not get excited, then I'm sorry to say, its time to get a new boy friend.
Rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Kelsey In Wonderland
It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.

I agree with many of the other posters on here about having him experience it when he gets there. I am in a similar situation as you, I am 20 (turning 21 on our trip!) and my boyfriend is 21. He has been to Disney before, but I can tell he doesn't understand why I am so obsessed. I talk about it continuously, but I can tell he still doesn't get it so my plan is to show him all the great things about the World and how magical it can make you feel at any age. I honestly think by just showing him when you get there all it has to offer and how great it can make you feel, he may begin to finally understand and by your next trip he will be super excited

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: