Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
3csluvthemouse
Mouseketeer

So what is the deal with servers wanting your entire order?

Why are servers at Disney asking patrons to order everything at once (app, meal, dessert)? Sometimes I do not know what I want for dessert at the beginning of my meal. This really bothers me, and I had a server get quite rude about it when I changed my mind about what I wanted. She first came to the table and said, "This is how we are going to do this" and proceeded to tell us she wanted the entire order. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

9 nights, 1/2 dozen TS and not once did we experience this. We made changes at all different points, asked for items off menu and vegetarian when none were available and got only great responses. Never pushed to do order all at once and never hurried. Sorry.
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
tmws66
Mouseketeer

Never had that happen. Was wondering what restaurant you experienced this in.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
duffy
The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote it myself.

What's to prevent me from just saying, "I don't know yet what I want for my dessert. May I wait until I'm done with my meal to order it?"
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
crystalcml
TARGET FIELD 2010! Breathtaking!

Were you on the dining plan?

We were there in Sept and at every single TS meal they asked us the same thing. Half the time I never knew what I wanted for an appetizer let alone my whole meal. I thought it was very strange. At one point, we thought it was because they were really busy at that time.
My little brother, Twins Hall of Famer Tony Oliva and Me!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

We were not on the DDP. I wonder if that affected it? It was very busy for some of our TS's-- Thanksgiving week. Never asked us ahead.
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

DH and I just returned from a mini-vacation to Las Vegas where we ate at several of the high end restaurants. We were asked to order all at once also. This was something new that didn't happen to us last year when we were there. However, it was very crowded in Las Vegas so I'm wondering if this is becoming more standard at busier places?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
crystalcml
TARGET FIELD 2010! Breathtaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvamouse View Post
We were not on the DDP. I wonder if that affected it? It was very busy for some of our TS's-- Thanksgiving week. Never asked us ahead.
We were on the DDP so I thought that may have had something to do with it. Maybe it's because they were really busy.
My little brother, Twins Hall of Famer Tony Oliva and Me!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
dreambound
Lover of sugar-coated sugar-filled sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3csluvthemouse View Post
Why are servers at Disney asking patrons to order everything at once (app, meal, dessert)? Sometimes I do not know what I want for dessert at the beginning of my meal. This really bothers me, and I had a server get quite rude about it when I changed my mind about what I wanted. She first came to the table and said, "This is how we are going to do this" and proceeded to tell us she wanted the entire order. Anyone else experiencing this?
Where was this? And when?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I haven't experienced this at all. We usually voluntarily order apetizers & entrees at the same time, but don't order dessert until after the meal. My dessert choice is likely to be based on if I want it right then or to-go - the kona kone looked wonderful when we got the dessert tour on the way into the restaurant, but when it came time to actually choose dessert, I took the choc & macadamia nut pie to go and had it in the room 4 hours later.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 12-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
jarestel
DIS Veteran

So what is the deal with servers wanting your entire order?

Another example of WDW restaurants transitioning from relaxed, casual dining to cafeteria style - move in 'em, move 'em out!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
dreambound
Lover of sugar-coated sugar-filled sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarestel View Post
Another example of WDW restaurants transitioning from relaxed, casual dining to cafeteria style - move in 'em, move 'em out!
Really? Do you have any more examples of this happening? I hear so many positive reviews of Disney Dining, so this is alarming to a newbie.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
nanadeb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambound View Post
Really? Do you have any more examples of this happening? I hear so many positive reviews of Disney Dining, so this is alarming to a newbie.
We were on the free DDP in September. The only restaurant that insisted we order everything at once was Coral Reef. The server said that it was because it made it easier for the kitchen staff.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
kent285
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanadeb View Post
The server said that it was because it made it easier for the kitchen staff.
That's actually pretty funny, considering that it's the server who benefits the most when people order everything all at once. If food is ordered all at once, then the server only has to put the order in one time...one less thing for the server to have to remember.
When my DH and I go out (here at home), we often order our dinner salad first, then order our dinner when the salad arrives. That way there is no chance of my dinner arriving while we are still eating our salad. My daughter was a server this summer, and she said, that while it's o.k. for people to do this, it does make it more inconvenient for the server.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #15
BarleyJack
And a pirin tablet? Why? Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?

Maybe a little off topic, but I have a question. We will be there in January on the DDP. WHY does the server need to know your (our) method of payment before the meal is ordered? Having waited tables in the past, payment type doesn't matter until the ticket is being closed out, at which point you can swipe gift cards/credit cards, apply cash or gift certificates/traveler's cheques?? I know some might say, so they can tell you what's included, etc. My feeling is that should a guest already know what is included in the DDP the source of payment shouldn't matter to the server. I just don't want to be shelling out thousands of dollars for this dream vacation only to receive sub par service at restaurants we've been looking forward to for 180 days only because we are on the dining plan.
1990-Disneyland, offsite
2008 (jan)-WDW, POP/POR split stay
2009 (september)-WDW CBR -Food and Wine/Halloween
2009 (september)-WDW Poly=Food and Wine/Halloween
2010-Carnival Legend
2011-Carnival Glory
2012: Long weekend in NYC, Labor Day in Las Vegas
2013: Art of Animation Cars Suite

We've been Boo'd by the food review Queen!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: