Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Amy7979
Mouseketeer

Smile The "I Got Engaged in Disney World" Trip Report - POR and DCL - Sept 07 UPDATED 8/31

Welcome to my first trip report! I've written the first bit and realize it probably is going to end up being sort of long. What can I say, I'm long winded, I guess!

Cast of characters:

Me – Amy, 28. Disney fanatic, with multiple trips to Disneyland and Disney World, though Disney Cruise Line would be completely new for me.

DBF – Bill, 26. Loves Disney, although he hasn’t been since high school and has never stayed on property. Will become DF on this trip (how’s that for suspense?)

Tom and Jen – my cousin and his wife. Quite possibly even bigger Disney fanatics than I am; they honeymooned at WDW five years ago and are celebrating their anniversary on this trip.

Cameo appearances later in the trip by Orlando residents Barbara (a business contact and friend of mine) and her family, and Laura and Dan (friends of Bill’s).

The plan: September 1 – 9 at Port Orleans Riverside, September 9-13 on Disney Wonder!

Day 1: September 1, 2007

Has this day finally arrived? Bill and I awoke to my cell phone alarm at 4:00 in the morning, although I suspect that neither of us was able to sleep anyway. Our long-awaited trip was finally here, and we were ready! Our bags were packed the night before, except for my anal-retentive list of things I needed to remember that morning, my friend Rick had the keys to feed the fish and Simon and Sammy (my cats) while we were away, and all that was left to do was to put on our matching polo shirts and get to the airport.

Yes, I said matching polo shirts.

Bill ordered the shirts from Disney Shopping online. They weren’t EXACTLY matching, in that they were different colors and that they had our names embroidered on them, and since we have different names… yeah, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I did one last check of the DIS boards and before we knew it our friends Dan and Michelle arrived to drive us to the airport. After Dan spent a significant amount of time making fun of our shirts, we loaded up their car and headed off for Logan International Airport for our 7:50am flight.

We arrived at the airport in plenty of time and had a smooth check-in and security experience. We did have them hand-check the disposable cameras we thought we’d need (don’t ask), which was an interesting experience. Who knew they’d have to unwrap each one and look through its viewfinder to make sure it was actually a camera?

With the security checkpoint behind us, we settled in at our gate. I went to get some books and magazines while Bill started the last of the Harry Potter books. When we decided we were hungry I went to the Dunkin Donuts at the other end of the gate area and stood in the line for a short eternity. I don’t understand people who can’t seem to grasp simple concepts, like that it takes longer than 2 seconds to prepare a breakfast sandwich, for instance, or that in the “Coffee Only” line they only serve coffee. But I digress.

I returned to our gate and we shortly boarded our uneventful flight to JFK airport.

Once there, we waited for our flight to Orlando in the most warehouse-looking waiting area I’ve ever seen in an airport. My apologies to anyone fond of the JFK airport… but it was really bad. Maybe they’re in the middle of some construction? In any case, we entertained ourselves by taking self-portrait photographs and reading until our flight boarded. Mostly I annoyed Bill by taking his picture while he was trying to read.

The flight to Orlando was once again uneventful, and we landed at MCO slightly ahead of schedule.

Coming up: I might actually write about the actual vacation, and not just about getting there. And, if you're very patient, you'll get to hear about how we got engaged!

Last edited by Amy7979; 08-31-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Trying to add some photos so people aren't bored out of their skulls as this drones on
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Ooh, fun, I love Disney engagement stories! I'm signing up to read this one!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Our2Girls&Disney
DIS Veteran

I'm first and can't wait to hear about the engagement and the Wonder. We want to go on DCL for our 15th Anniversary. Keep on writing.
2006 - Coronado Springs Resort
2008 - Wilderness Lodge
2007, Present - Offsite Deer Creek RV Resort
Old 09-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Mcbruns
DIS Veteran

Good start. Looking forward to the rest (and pics). We all love pics!
1976-offsite~ 1991-offsite~ 1993-offsite~ 1997-Swan~ 1998-Caribbean Beach~ 2003-Port Orleans~ 2004-Pop Century~ 2005-Beach Club Villas~ 2006-Contemporary ~ 2007-ASMu ~ 2007-Coronado Springs ~ 2007-Anniversary Trip GF ~ October 2008-Wilderness Lodge~2 trips in 2009 (June-WH and Sept-OKW)~ 2010-Swan for NYE ~ 2011-Poly for my 40th ~ April 2012 & July ~ 2013 Cruising on the Wonder & June trip ~2014-Lion King Suite
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
WDW Poly Princess
Needs a Disney Fix
Cannot, under any circumstances, say no to a glazed Krispy Kreme
Let's just hope that I never get drunk and end up with Snape tattooed on my butt

How exciting- Congrats! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

But Why is the Rum Gone? The Disneyween Trip ~*~No Day But Today- January 2007 Report

May 2000 - Poly & DCL * May 2001-WL, PO-R & ASMo * Dec 2001- PO-R, AKL, Poly, and WL * Nov 2002 -ASMu,Poly and PO-R * Dec 2004- ASMu, WL, PO-FQ, Poly, and PO-R * Dec 2005- ASMu, OKW and the Swan * Feb 2006- Pop Century * Jan 2007- ASMu, WL, AKL and BCV* Oct 2007-AS Sp,OKW, BCV, POR * Dec 2007- Gave up and moved there!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
TnkrBoo
Mouseketeer

a disney engagement?! that sounds so exciting! i can't wait to read about it. great start!
1st Trip to WDW- 1987~~July 1999- Wildnerness Lodge~~July 2002- Offsite~~Jan 2004- POR~~July 2004- Offsite~~Jan 2005- POR~~July 2005- Boardwalk/Saratoga Springs~~Jan 2007- Wildnerness Lodge~~Jan 2008- ASSp/Poly

My 1st Trip Report
You Know You'veTaken Too Many Pictures
When Photopass People Recognize You

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
IjustWanttoGo
I want my ears already!

Subbing! I love engagement stories!

Come Check Out My Very FIRST Pre Trippie!

Please Read Me!! (I feel silly writing to myself here )

R.I.P. Graham. You were a very loved puppy.

Boo! Thanks xoMinnieox!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
luvmyboys
WoW Widow
Us non-confrontational people aren't very skilled at laying down the law!
I shed worse than an English sheepdog!
I got one leg stuck in the holey knee

You had me at "matching polo shirts!"

I'm IN!!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

Yay Disney!

Subscribing!
September '13- Boardwalk & Disneyland Hotel, December '12- 10-Year New Years Anniversary Trip- AoA, BCV & AKV Kidani, November '11- Old Key West, February '11- Family Trip- AKV Kidani & SSR, September '10- Disneyland Grand Californian, September '09- POR & Polynesian, October '08- CSR, March '08- Old Key West, October '07- <3 Disneymoon at BCV <3, '05- All Star Movies, '02- Polynesian, '01- Contemporary, '00- Girls Graduation Trip- Caribbean Beach, '98- Port Orleans French Quarter, '96- Port Orleans French Quarter, '94- All Star Music, '92 Contemporary & COUNTLESS off-property trips that I won't count
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Credit Man
Love the shark reef
Needs a map to grocery shop
Went on a life-changing cruise

Wonderful story so far. Please post more.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
Amy7979
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone -

I am SO sorry about the delay in posting! We've started the search for the perfect wedding reception location, and let's just say it's a LOT more difficult than I imagined! Sigh.

I promise to have another installment posted soon, please hang in there with me!

Amy
Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
vermontgirl
Mouseketeer

Amy,

I don't think you have to look very far! Just have your wedding at Disney!! How perfect is that?!

I love your story, and can't wait to hear more!

Jeanette aka Vermontgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy7979 View Post
Hi everyone -

I am SO sorry about the delay in posting! We've started the search for the perfect wedding reception location, and let's just say it's a LOT more difficult than I imagined! Sigh.

I promise to have another installment posted soon, please hang in there with me!

Amy
Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Our2Girls&Disney
DIS Veteran

Just checking to make sure you did not forget about us. Anxiously waiting a new installment. Any luck on finding that reception hall?
2006 - Coronado Springs Resort
2008 - Wilderness Lodge
2007, Present - Offsite Deer Creek RV Resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: